Experian Logo

6.4

The newest and largest of the three major credit bureaus, Experian has been in business since 1996. The company offers competitively priced triple-bureau FICO credit reports in addition to triple-bureau credit monitoring. You can also order credit reports from Experian on an as-needed basis.  Although its free service only actively monitors one of the three credit reports, paid subscriptions to its credit monitoring and identity theft services include a number of bonus features and functionalities including identity theft monitoring and alerts, dark web surveillance, credit file locking, and fraud resolution.

Identity Guard Logo
#1 Identity Guard chevron_right
3.2
ScoreSense Logo
#2 ScoreSense chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Daily Refresh Rate
  • Automated Monitoring
  • FICO Scores
  • Education Center
  • Mobile App

Daily Refresh Rate

Members of Experian Credit tracker enjoy unmatched access and insight into their Experian credit report. With the option of being able to refresh their Experian credit report as often as once per day, customers that are at especially high risk of identity theft are able to catch changes to their report the moment they happen. It is worth noting that the daily updates to this credit report also include a daily update to their FICO score based on that report.

Automated Monitoring

In addition to providing users with full access to their Experian credit report and score each day, Experian also provides automated monitoring and alerts to users (via email or through the mobile app) of any suspicious or major changes to their report, such as new accounts being opened, inquiries, or changes of address.

FICO Scores

Experian is the only credit bureau to include true FICO scores as part of its standard purchase options; the other two bureaus either don't appear to offer it or charge extra to see it. Additionally, Experian provides a fairly comprehensive list of credit factors that are influencing your score, helping you to know what to do in order to improve it.

Education Center

In addition to its core credit monitoring functionality, Experian also includes a robust credit education center with their membership, which our review team found to include a wide range of up-to-date, authoritative and accurate consumer credit information. It's a great resource for newcomers and credit monitoring veterans alike who are seeking to better understand their credit health and the many factors affecting it.

Additionally, a credit score simulator is included as part of the subscription. Simulators allow customers to see how different financial decisions might potentially impact their credit score, like filing for bankruptcy or paying down credit card balances, taking out a car loan, and more. Because this simulator is powered by FICO, the predictions are as accurate as can be expected from tools like this.

Mobile App

Experian's mobile app for iPhone and Android has earned high praise for its ease-of-use and polished design, with solid ratings on both the Apple and Android app stores. It's ease of use, stability, bug-free experience, and attractive design is noteworthy. We especially liked the integrated video tutorials included with the app that helps users to understand how to use it in order to do everything from disputing an inaccurate item on their credit report to tracking their score over time.

The Bad

• Trial Complaints
  • Additional Fees
  • Data Breaches

Trial Complaints

We have seen numerous complaints about the trial offered by Experian where the customer was unaware of the full cost of the service after the trial, they didn't get the full seven days of monitoring, or they had difficulty canceling the service. Depending on where you sign up for the service, the trial length varies. On its main website, Experian offers users a full month of access for $4.99, after which it costs $24.99 per month. Either way, we advise customers to give themselves plenty of time to call in and cancel before the bill comes due in order to allow time for any unexpected cancellation difficulties.

Additional Fees

Subscribers to Experian may be disappointed to find that the free service doesn't give them unlimited access to credit reports and scores from the other two major credit bureaus, Equifax and TransUnion. If a customer wants to view either of these reports, they will need to pay an additional fee to pull them. For those who are looking for a way to regularly monitor all three credit bureau reports semi-regularly, this cost will add up.

Data Breaches

Experian data breaches have occurred as recently as 2017. This breach had nothing to do with its credit monitoring customers, but it reflects poorly on Experian's ability to guard consumer information in general. Experian has also dealt with some legal issues surrounding claims of unsecured customer information and credit report inaccuracy. While these lawsuits were against the credit bureau in general, rather than anything specific with the credit tracking services it offers, security failures of companies that provide ID theft protection are extremely troubling. Unfortunately, all three major bureaus have been hit with lawsuits in recent years.

The Bottom Line

For those looking for an ongoing subscription option, Experian provides regular access to reports and scores from Experian. The company offers daily refreshes, FICO scores, and credit monitoring and reports for an affordable price. Although the company has set up monitoring to alert you of key changes on the other two bureau's reports, the free version does fall short of being a comprehensive credit monitoring solution. Nonetheless, the information provided can assist you in building or rebuilding your credit.

And if you're willing to pay for a monthly subscription, you get credit monitoring for all three credit bureaus along with extras like the ability to lock and unlock your Experian credit file and get coverage for identity theft insurance up to $1 Million.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

2.9

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

Experian only provides you information available on their credit history. Their fico score is misleading and over inflates your score. If you quote your fico score from Experian your lender will laugh at you and lenders do not use their score to establish credit worthiness. Experian's credit boost is a tool that is there to make you feel better about your credit score but has no founding in reality. You can boost your score all day long and it means nothing to a lender. The only good thing about Experian is your credit history on the site involving percent of credit used, on time payment and marks against your credit. Just don't rely on their scores for your fico. Their app is free but they charge for extras like freezing your credit through them. You can freeze it for free by writing a letter, or find one of your credit cards that uses experian and freeze your credit through your card services for free. Like other reporting services they make money on you buying extras or signing up for credit through their recommendations. I use their free services.

Amy W. Pleasant Grove, UT

We signed up for the credit monitoring. So far we've been happy with it - we haven't had any alerts yet (they are supposed to notify you immediately), but every month we get an e-mail update stating that nothing has been found during their monitoring, which I appreciate for peace of mind. We have been using it for probably 4-5 months now. I haven't had too many customer service interactions, but one I did have was very positive. There was an error on my credit report, and the gentleman with whom I spoke was very helpful and made sure it was taken care of. Based on that interaction, I would give them a 10.

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

I like the services that Experian provides. It tracks my personal data and sends me emails when it finds anything that looks fraudulent. I was provided this service for free due to a breach of my information.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Experian is a great place to track any credit issues. They have consistently protected my credit and alerted me when there has been any questionable activity.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

I feel very comfortable with the security the Experian offers me. It is reassuring with all the cyber-crime in the world today. Great customer service as well.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Being at our age there are lots of schemes out there to take advantage of us. We like that you pay a low fee and can lock your credit and monitor it.

Vennie Thompson Hartsel, CO

I adore Experian! They deliver exactly what they say they will and do not rob you. TransUnion charged me without my actually hitting the button and before they had no even identified me with check questions. Experian charged me only after I'd actually consented. I adore Experian; I dispose TransUnion.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Experian continues to be a high value option in Credit reporting. I have always found their service support to be exceptional. The best way to keep mind of your credit scores. Plus helpful services that help improve your records. Excellent all around!

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Experian is a great bird dog for your personal credit. They are quick to inform me when there has been any activity, and they "locked" my credit very effectively.

Marybeth Whelan Raleigh, NC

I monitor my credit scores with all 3 agencies and have been consistent across the board for 5 years. I recently received a downgrade of 40 points with Experian and an email advertisement for Experian Boost. I have no negative notations since 2012 (2 late 30 days) that are on all 3 agency report. Nothing in my credit spend has changed in the last 18 months. No other agency has dropped, in fact: TransUnion moved me to exceptional. I feel they are holding me hostage if I don't sign up to Boost my score back to the high end of Very Good - a rating I have had over 5 years.

Hallieford West Valley City, UT

I was leery of having my identity compromised and was worried someone found out my social security and driver’s license numbers. They helped me put a freeze on my credit so no one could fraudulently apply for credit. I could take the hold off with a PIN number at my convenience. They send me updates about my accounts.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Experian is a great direct source to monitor your credit bureau information.. They are active and monitor new transactions that may affect you negatively. They offer the best tools to safeguard your credit. I am totally happy with their services and customer support.

BJ Tenney Woods Cross, UT

I am just coming up to the end of my first year of Experian credit monitoring. It's been really nice to see immediate alerts each time I know my credit is being checked. I don't worry at all about someone messing up my credit score.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Experian has been a great service. It;s helped us stay on track and has helped us better our credit rating and know what to look for

Tagg Ogden, UT

I really trust Experian for my credit monitoring since they are one of the companies that wrote the book on credit reports.

Bitten by Experian Fort Worth, TX

This company is supposed to protect its customers from credit fraud. Yet, Experian systems allowed a potentially fraudulent transaction to execute inside their own systems without warning or alerts. someone else's payment for a credit report, with completely different name and address, was charged to my credit card on file, all while telling me the card is invalid and membership fees cannot be charged to it. To add insult to injury, the card in question is listed by for monitoring for any suspicious activities. There is a final straw. When I contested the charge, Experian customer service uncovered the problem, and I asked about refunding the amount, a mere $25, the answer was simple. No credit. Go contest the charge with your credit card company. Obviously, the I am no longer a customer of Experian but this makes me wonder. If they won't stand behind $25, does their million dollar guarantee even exists? I am not even going to dive into how many times their phone systems disconnected me and how every time their support made me start from the beginning.

Monica Staley Orlando, FL

If I could rate no stars I would. I have been being charged monthly by experian for an account that was never activated. I have attempted to call them regarding the issue, but unfortunately (or conveniently) you are unable to reach a person on the phone and are only moved about from automated system to automated system. I have also attempted to reach them by email as this appears to be the only method of speaking with them. However, once more, I cannot seem to get through to anyone. I have not received a single reply to my email. It is incredibly bad business to not have any response or anyone available for customer concerns or complaints. I am really disappointed in this company and would not recommend them to anyone who is seeking professional or ethical service.

JT Fairburn, GA

It is a pain in the butt to file a disputes online as your website constantly says having technical difficulties. When I called the phone numbers on the website and it had poor user interface. The menu choices are not intuitive. I finally figured out which options to get to the dispute section and it took over 35 minutes to talk to someone. And what's worse is that the person whose name is Alex sounded so indifferent. He didn't care and simply mouthed off a script. I provided him with the answers to all the security answers he asked me and I filed a dispute on four scamming charges by Royal Holiday Club. That place was a scam and I got a law firm to file cancellation package with them 4 years ago. RHC ignored any legal responsibilities and continued to retroactively charge me outrageous amounts of memberships/maintenance fees for previous years. I expressed my concerns to "Alex" and he just said I would have to them. So I asked "Alex" if I'd get an email alert if there's any updates on the disputes I just filed and he said I just needed to go to the website to check. I'd told him the website was constantly having issues with the dispute center section and that's why I called in the first place. He dissed me and said that I'd just need to call them again. I said okay, then what's the dispute report number of the dispute I just filed with you? "Alex" told me that there was none. I was shocked. What do you mean by none? So how am I going to reference it in the future? He told me just noted the day/time and my SSN for this call. Are you kidding me? I asked him if that was for real and he said yes. I asked him for his name and he hesitated and then told me it's "Alex". I asked for his last name and he said he couldn't give me that because of security reason. So I gave you all my security-related answers and you couldn't tell me your last name. Okay, I asked him if I could speak with his supervisor and he asked me why. I told him because I was not happy with his attitude and answers and he kept refusing me. I finally demanded to speak with his supervisor and he put me on hold for 20 minutes. His supervisor named "Alan" got on the call with an altitude. I asked him why I could not have the dispute report number of the dispute I just filed with "Alex" and he asked me if I could provide a previous dispute report number. What kind of nonsense was that? I told him I didn't because I just filed it with "Alex" and he just kept on speaking over me saying that's the reason why I couldn't get what I asked for. Experian.... I used to pay you $20 for credit report monitoring service. But I stopped since my credit card provided me the same service without any charge. Is that how you treat someone who does not pay you to stay as a member? Where did you hire all these rude people as the representatives? People are already stressed and upset before they contact you for help. You don't have to make them go crazy but being a rude person. And please train your employees to be more professional and teach them some common senses before they open their mouths. The nonsense stuff they spilled really got me speechless. I don't even know if those two men's names were real. But I called the 1-800-493-1058 number on 2/9/19 at 12:30pm. I was on the phone for 51 minutes. Please investigate and improve your customer services.

Holly Stewart Lake Worth, FL

I was a victim of the Experian data breech resulting in my social security number, date of birth and address being released. My identity was stolen resulting in 8 fraudulent credit applications in 3 months. I had to purchase credit monitoring because what they offered victims wouldn’t work when I tried to register. I had to freeze my credit. I now need to unfreeze my credit to purchase a car for my 72 year old mother in law. I have contacted them online and by phone and they refuse to do it, even though I provided all the identifying information and the personal pin they gave me when I requested the freeze. You can not reach anyone on the phone except the automated system and there in no email addresses. Their dispute system is inaccessible and discriminatory, their security practices are clearly inferior and their response in clearly negligent. I have filed complaints with the federal trade commissions and consumer protection bureau. Use credit karma. It is free and they have done more to help me than Experian.

Beth taylor

My mother has had a CCJ put on her name in error, it was her ex husband my father now we know he has financial problems and is heartbroken his family now know about his financial matters. Not only that now his son offering financial support after my mother finding out being embarressed in the middle of Halifax that she has been turned down and escorted out the room. She is registered disabled with fibroinmyagia now has no credit file and has suffered servers financial loss and the company has never apologised when emailed about the case or even taken any notice we have paid to use there service even though they has ruin my family KEEP away from this they will ruin you and your family relationship and effect your ability to obtain lending for needed reasons.

Dan Pincu Asheville, NC

I have tried many times to release my credit report for one company. I tried their online system, and found that they claim my credit info is not locked, and want to charge me to lock it! But, I use USAA, and they have a free service to lock it! I called them, and they confirmed that my credit info is locked! So, Experian is trying to get me to pay for something that I already have! I'll bet that a lot of people have had the same experience, and paid their fee!!! In addition, I tried to open my credit info for one company, and after entering a lot of data, and a picture of my SSN, Drivers License and Veterant ID, the system came back and told me their system is presently down, and I should mail my info!

Jeffrey Dustin Peachtree City, GA

I am a paying member of Experian and submitted a dispute because they did not update the status of a Home Equity loan I paid off 6 weeks ago. I confirmed with my bank that they notified the 3 credit bureaus in mid-June. They went ahead an sent another notification to Experian that the account was closed. It still remained, so I submitted a formal dispute on my Experian account. After review they are stating the account is still open with a very large balance. They are flat out wrong and my Bank yet again confirmed it just now. WHY AM I PAYING A MONTHLY FEE? Honestly, I only joined last year because I was selling my house and buying a new one and I wanted to stay on top of my credit score. I also wanted piece of mind should something odd show up that I would get better attention then I did as a non-paying customer. Paid member or not, they still can't get my credit right. Cancelling my membership.

Gregory Palestine, TX

I was deceived into credit card charges of $26.55 ea. month when I thought it was for $1.00. I've tried, for well over a year, to get experian to stop charging my credit card. I've called, more times than I can count, reported this to my credit card company and even cancelled the card (twice) and requested a newly assigned account number. Somehow, experian still charges the account...every month. When I call them, they tell me different stories. They hang up after long hold times, say they're going to cancel the charges and don't or they might say they can't find the account and it goes round and round...wasting my valuable time and money. They will not stop charging the card! I don't know what to do and then I wondered how many others have had this same problem. So, I searched and found many others! I'm thinking I need an attorney but this is ridiculous...right? I found there are class action suits and experien needs to be listed. I left a message with classaction.org. I'm going to try to find one or create a suit to get money for all my wasted time or months I couldn't call and they charged me. It takes time (I don't have) on the months, when I call my credit card company, for them to they take it off. But they keep telling me to call and stop the charges through experian. I've spent hours and hours on the phone. American Express doesn't seem to be able to block them from charging. It's like I'm caught in some twisted twilight zone episode of the ruthless, greedy and relentless stalking company..."experian!" I'm so tired of taking to representatives, supervisors etc...who do nothing to stop these charges. Please don't end up like me! If they want you to buy anything...run! Pass the word quickly so others are not ripped off like this. Something needs to be done to stop this.

Jason Freeman

They automatically increased monthly rate they were charging my credit card from $10 per month to $25 per month. I didn't notice until a few months later, when I cancelled the card they were charging due to unrelated issue. When I was informed they were still trying to charge my card and the amount they were charging, I attempted to cancel. However, they provided a faulty number to my credit card company, as there was no answer and the call went straight to dial tone. I tried to contact them on their website, but could not find contact information. Before I could revisit the issue, they charged a different credit card of mine, without my authorization! I never gave them this credit card number. When I finally was able to contact them, they were unapologetic and refused to provide a refund for all of their fraudulent charges.

KJ Cranberry Twp, PA

My credit card was potentially compromised at the Costco photo site. They recommended placing a security freeze and listed the 3 big agencies. I ended up using a different agency for the credit freeze because Experian charges $10 while the others are free. I did opt to check my credit score for $1. At the time, it was not clear that it was a 7 day trial. Nowhere in the email does it state this. While checking my credit card charges I noticed a charge for 22.95. I called to cancel, which they did, but they would not reimburse the charge. I guess the jokes on me. I went to the site to protect myself and in the process was taken advantage of. This company should be ashamed of their business practices!

Silvia Lobendahn Orem, UT

When I found out that my identity had been stolen, I called experian and they offered to track my credit for free for a year. It might make it harder to apply for loans, but I am glad that they offered this a measure of security.

Kathie Bowman Lakeside, CA

I use experian on the daily for my job and the website if very easy to understand read the reports. If you want to look at your report to see what is on there then experian is the way to go

mayguoren Spring, TX

difficult to correspond via mail: despite enclosing of copy of DL, utility bills, SS, I was told it wasn't enough, Experian responded by sending me a generic letter asking for the same proof of ID, utility bills SS etc, it seems as though these people either illiterate or try to frustrate you to the point you stop writing a dispute letter

Robert McKenna Port Jefferson Station, NY

So I trusted Experian and that was a Big Mistake. They have all my credit info. so when they LIED to me and said they "FOUND" 5 credit cards that if I applied to would help my credit score I foolishly believed them. The very first one I applied for at THEIR suggestion denied me and my credit score went down. I would have never applied had they not said the FOUND credit cards for me that would boost my rating. LIARS- Don't trust them

No man Knoxville, TN

Every contact number is a recording that hangs up on you. I wanted to file a dispute and the site would not take the information and gave me a number to call which was another recorded message. No human options. I was hacked and identity theft and had frozen my credit bureau accounts and a fraud alert. This was done on Aug 8 and Experian allowed the hacker to change the address in my credit file on Aug 17

Nancy Zhao San Jose, CA

Experian membership is a SCAM!!! It put recurring charge to my credit card for $14.99/month for months and I didn't even remember signing up for it. When I called to cancel the membership, the phone repeatedly got dropped. I have never had such horrible customer service. It is hard to believe the phone calls would get dropped repeatedly, I suspect the customer services just hang up. I just couldn't cancel it. What do I do? I can't believe Experian will use such tactics.

Anne E Irish Nampa, ID

My bank account is being charged repeatedly for a service I NEVER wanted or agreed to and wouldn't you know it I can't get in touch with anyone to find out how this happened, not to mention paying for something like this when I already use credit karma and couldn't pay anyone to steal my identity IS A JOKE! The only identity theft happening here is from Experian and I WANT MY MONEY BACK IN MY BANK ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY.. CROOKS!

Jian Aurora, CO

Experian is a scammer company that will charge from your credit cards without any permission from you. I paid $4.99 one time fee to dispute some credit report errors without signed up for any free trials or wish to become a paid membership, then I got charged $14.99 on my credit card for the paid membership monthly fee that I didn’t sign up for. This is a straight up robbery!

Cody Sturgill Fletcher, NC

Experian is TERRIBLE! I signed up for a free or $1 credit report nearly 4 years ago. Since then they have charged my credit card more than $20 a month. I'm certain this was in the fine print (stupid me). I have attempted to cancel a few time through the years (over the phone(the only way you can cancel)) but have had to give up after hours on hold. Experian are theives and scammers!

I would not recommend this service. They do not update your details. They only know what you told them. Their whole credit protection system is a scam. I had new address and new loan on my account and they haven't picket this up. They delay refund process, on basis of complaint policy, 8 weeks time. if you end up chargingback they delay it even more and you loose at least 2 months payment. Do straight chargeback don't even bother speak to them if you want your money back. From experience it is better to get credit card with direct debit on full amount and make sure you are on electoral roll.

Cynthia Warren Township, NJ

When trying to validate my new "complimentary" experian id account, Dorothy would not let me finish why I was calling. She said repeatedly, don't be rude to me. I was trying to tell her what happened when I was trying to register. She said, it's going to to take 15 minutes. All I said, is let's get started now if it's going to take 15 minutes because I don't have very much time....very bad service considering my identity was breached by Caliber Home Loans

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I have a free credit report through experience. I receive emails when my score goes up or down and I am able to see what factors affect my credit in the website. Very efficient website.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

I received a free year of credit monitoring from this company and they really did a great job of flagging potential issues. Very proactive and helpful.

Eric San Diego, CA

Most accurate credit reporting agency in my opinion. I have had the least amount of trouble using this as opposed to the other two. Would definitely recommend.

Celia Waipahu, HI

Experian keeps us up to date with our credit and activity. That is what we always look forward too to see where we are at with our credits and what we could do to improve it.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We had an identity theft scare last year and used Experian to lock our credit and it gave us an incredible amount of peace of mind. It also gave us information on our credit!

vickie Callahan, FL

After multiple attempts at answering questions through phone about my credit freeze I could never get a temporary lift. You can never get to a live person to fix problems. Equifax is the best and TransUnion is much better than Experian. If you can avoid using them save yourself time and frustration and stay away!

Facemask New Port Richey, FL

Horrible customer service they never answer the phone they hang up or are rude I’ve disputed something 7 times with evidence and they still can get it right. They listen to the company’s rather than the consumer. False information reporting is illegal next step lawyer.

S F Brooklyn, NY

Inaccurate and unreliable product! STAY AWAY!!! After paying and paying for months for the product I had an issue. While speaking to a top supervisor in Experian she clearly admitted that this product is totally not accurate and you can't rely on it. But they still refused to refund the membership. Worst customer service ever.

Jessica Gough Loganville, GA

Worst company, the moment u call to cancel you are told you have a minimum 2 hour waiting time. I literally called 4 times during their office hours and could never get service. I literally had to call my bank to block them from my account

helen danache La Quinta, CA

They get a ZERO. IT IS A HUGE SCAM. EXPERIAN OFFERS A CREDIT REORT FOR $1 AND THEN GIVE THE INFO TO "SCORESENCE.COM, WHO IMMIDITALY START CHARGING YOU MONTHLY. THEY CHARGED ME $29.95 FOR 17 MONTHS. OVER $550+ I AM TRYING TO GET IT BACK. THERE SHOULD BE A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THEM. IT'S CRIMMINAL!!!!!

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

Experian is such an outstanding tool to use to keep up with your credit which is useful! It even gives you recommendations!

Dwhoush Slidell, LA

I use Experian through my USAA services and it gives a good amount of information about your credit scores. It is hard to get lost in all that information as well.

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

Experian used to be the big dawg of the 3 major credit report Companies. They have lost a lot of credibility over the last few years with data breaches and bad reporting. I would trust the other companies the same or even a little more than Experian.

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

one of my favorite sites to use when monitoring my credit their reports i feel are one of the easiest to read and very self explanatory