USAA

USAA

USAA, which stands for United Services Automobile Association, began in 1922 as a means of providing auto insurance to military officers. The company now offers a number of financial services, including banking and credit cards, to members of the military and their families.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 8.4 7.8 Read Review
#2 8.0 7.3 Read Review
#3 7.7 8.7 Read Review
#8 6.3 4.7 Current

The Good

• No foreign transaction fee
  • Fraud safeguards

No Foreign Transaction Fee

USAA does not charge a foreign transaction fee, so cardholders can make charges abroad without being penalized. This is a great benefit for those who travel frequently.

Fraud Safeguards

USAA works to protect its customers from fraud by having safeguards in place. The company offers enhanced authentication and enhanced logon services, as well as security tips to help its cardholders better protect themselves.

The Bad

• Relatively high APRs
  • No free credit score tracking
  • Potential annual fees
  • Late payment penalties
  • Undisclosed information

Relatively High APRs

Many credit card companies offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first several months. However, USAA does not offer this feature; rates range from 7.15 to 26.15 percent* right off the bat. Additionally, these APRs are relatively high when compared to industry average.

No Free Credit Score Tracking

Another feature missing from USAA's service is free credit score tracking. Some companies in the industry will allow their cardholders to monitor their credit score for free each month, but USAA does not provide this.

Potential Annual Fees

The cost to be a USAA cardholder can range from $0 to $49 per year, depending on the card.

Late Payment Penalties

USAA charges a fee of $35 for each payment that is late.

Undisclosed Information

After looking at USAA's website, it is unclear whether or not the company offers a rewards program, which is an important feature to many consumers.

The Bottom Line

USAA has fraud safeguards in place and does not charge foreign transaction fees. However, the company does charge annual fees and late payment penalties. Additionally, USAA's APRs are relatively high and the company has not disclosed whether or not it offers a rewards program on its website.

23 USAA Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 14th, 2017 Lexington, KY

USAA has consistently lived up to and exceeded all expectations of their customer service and company. I've been with many banks and a credit union (bank one, Bank of America, Fort Knox credit union, fifth third, pnc, etc...). All of them had some stupid policy in place that prevented use of my money (for example: Fort Knox credit union and BoA have a 15 transaction limit per day on your debit card, even if you call them to verify the transaction. Not terribly convenient when traveling). USAA has worked with me to solve all of my financial needs. They're consistently responsive to every question or concern I have. If you qualify to use USAA, I can't recommend them enough.

September 12th, 2017 Matthews, NC

I was a 30 year customers and had two accidents within 5 years that weren't my fault. USAA took away my 10% good driver discount. They could not find a way to satisfy me, so i took my business elsewhere. There are other products in their portfolio that have gone down in terms of service, as well.

September 1st, 2017 Chantilly, VA

They was attentive on every end and solved the problem easily.

September 1st, 2017 Parsippany, NJ

Two major breakdowns with USAA recently: 1. As a 33 year customer, I opened an investment account using funds from the same account I use to auto-pay my USAA car insurance bill. Problem - USAA placed my entire account and profile on hold, classifying the transaction as 'suspicious. What a joke, and inconvenience. They also place the credit card on hold for a week after I auto-pay my credit card bill. They are a lost company.

August 28th, 2017

I was attempting to duplicate a wire transfer that i had just performed the month prior. I attempted via both the mobile and desktop apps, but was unsuccessful. I was traveling and didn't have access the the information used at last transfer, so i called cust svc, and received conflicting information from 3 different reps. Unfortunately, it took logging a complaint via social media, that prompted a resolution. However, for the record, I do love banking with this company.

August 2nd, 2017 Sacramento, CA

Called for service around noon PST. Was told my tow service only covers 14miles, additional 46 bucks or so needed to tow the car back to my house, I went ahead and agreed even though 14miles is a joke. I get the text notification saying the car wouldn't be picked up for another 2 hours at 2:31PST. Called the company and they said you guys work off the cheapest quote. At 2:30 I call the tow company and they tell me the tow truck is another hour away still in a completely different city 60+ miles away. Nearing rush hour traffic, I'd be waiting another 2+ hours. So I cancelled and paid out of pocket for a local tow company. In short I'll be canceling my service and going back to AAA this weekend

August 2nd, 2017 Mastic, NY

I feel like I was taken advantage of in a moment of need. I added the debt protection, but apparently I didn't choose the right option. So I don't qualify for the product I thought I was buying on top of my loan. The 2 agents I talked to prior to going on social media didn't express an interest in helping. The overall ending is that there is nothing anyone can do. They were able to lower my interest rate, but the payment smount stays the same . I cancellex the debt protecrion, because if I'm only paying for death debt protectuon, that's why I have vgli for my life insurance. I explained to the person I spoke to last that I won't be using usaa any further. Once my loan is paid back, it'll be a clean break from them. To think that over the last 2 years I've been paying an extra over $40 a month is money that could've gone to better use. So I understand they have their policy, and that's fine, but it's the 2nd time I've been burned by usaa and again it won't happen ever again.

August 1st, 2017 Lake Worth, FL

I think the service (knowledge of the issue) was good. My issue was logging in. I was only able to log in if I wiped all my cookies. Tech support fixed my problem with a settings change with my account. However, now I am required to enter a PIN in addition to a password every time I log in even though my trusted PC, even though my credentials are remembered/saved. To make matters worse, the tech advised me USAA will soon be adding even an extra step every time I log in. So I would need a username, password, PIN, and verification by SMS or e-mail every time I log in. Oh, and the tech said I don't qualify for the key-chain code vice e-mail or SMS. There must be a more customer friendly but secure way for trusted PCs.

July 31st, 2017 Millsboro, DE

Horrible savings account. I was told 1 thing but then it was changed to other excuses. Not enough USAA bank ATM friendly establishments. I will be pulling all my money out of USAA savings and going to my local. Tried to give USAA a chance but too much hassle.

July 31st, 2017

I've been a member for over 20 years. I've tried getting loans and other services, but never once USAA came trough. It started to get worse after they dropped the ball on my home loan, and I ended up using another bank. All I know is I don't believe USAA is out to help minorities at all. It's sad but I know it's true. At least it is in my and all my colored friends. I HATE USAA!!!!!

July 31st, 2017 MI

Accident occurred in December of 2016 as of July 21, 2017 we still are waiting on a final settlement. Mediocrity should be the poster child for USAA Insurance they certainly have lived up to it, or down to it. I would never do business with this company. AllState, Progressive, Farmers, Prudential, GEICO etc but never USAA. U.S. veterans take you business elsewhere.

June 30th, 2017

I have been banking with USAA for over 6 years and I can't say anything bad about the company. They have taken care of me and some of my issues with urgency and kindness. I don't however like the new way of sending money thru Zelle, I enjoyed how it was previously so hopefully they are able to fix all the bugs that come along with a newer rollout. But other than that great bank.

June 26th, 2017 Overland Park, KS

USAA insurance is just terrible. I have used them for my Charger a few times, thought everything was good. Now this most recent time, my vehicle was away for 4 and a half months, and it still isn't even fully repaired. I had to go so far as to make a complaint to the Kansas Bord of Insurance because of how poorly they handled my situation. They tried retuning my vehicle four times with dangerous damage, endangering my daughter, my girl friend, and I in process every time. They spent $15000 on repairs before addressing frame damage. And the only reason it was addressed was because I took my vehicle to two seperate dodge dealerships to get a second opinion, and didn't even get reimbursed. Now that some repairs have been done on the frame, they refusing to pay for, and have started an investigation. It's baffling that they are doing this at this point in the claim, and not anywhere near the beginning. They lied to us countless times about vehicle and the actions that were making towards remedying the situation. They told us an internal investigation was going to take place based on this claim, instead they sent a private investigator to try and prove it was my fault. Wasting more if my time and energy. And my vehicle still isn't complete! It should have been written off. They are bunch of scum bags just trying to make as much money as possible. They aren't trying to help. They try and minimize their costs as much as possible, even if it is unsafe for you. My vehicle was at one of their preferred shops for the majority of repairs. And they have an insight adjuster to calculate damage. Seems shady as hell considering my vehicle first estimate was only $5000. Yeah, they tried to only do $5000 in work and give me back my car. Now it appears that previous claims have had damage that was never fixed because of this shit. USAA is terrible, avoid at all costs.

June 16th, 2017 Tampa, FL

I've had USAA for 15 years! Number 1 customer service in the country for any business. The people there love their job. I've fallen in very hard times and not once did they put me in collections. Not once. My bill sat once for 3 years I had no interest when I got divorced from my active duty ex husband. Incredible insurance over everyone else! Period!

June 14th, 2017 Iron Mountain, MI

Tried for 2 weeks to discuss my account and do balance transfer of usaa credit card do to numerous issues with them over the years. Their new verification process made it impossible as I do not have closed/cancelled credit card anymore. Some reps offered to do other ways s some didn't and all didn't care if I was served either way. I was told to call back and each time no one could assist me until I found one who wanted a diff number that I had. I guess my member number, ss #, address, phone password and PIN for site didn't matter. Nor that I could log in. So after 2 weeks, literally of trying I got the number to do transfer. Now, I was told it was too late and late payment would be reported no matter what and their reps " did nothing wrong"and all advisers "concur". My credit will be fine as it is good but its the ethical concerns and terrible customer service. Never have been treated so badly from all levels. I even filed a complaint, BBB, against them and this is when they want to play hardball. Bring it on. Corrupt company. If you have credit you don't care about, are perfect, and are obsessed with military status over all, sign up with them. They are incompetent and arrogant from their top to bottom level employees.

June 8th, 2017

I have been with USAA for the last 10 years and they are amazing. I bank, have car insurance, have vision insurance, a credit card and even had a car loan through them. Their customer service people are some of the best I have ever encountered. I'll continue to use USAA for all of my financial needs.

June 8th, 2017

A lot of employee I talked to always transfer me to different department just because they can't explain it. Each year I feels like they are lack of training.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I have a credit card with USAA and it is by far our best card. We got the lowest rates and didn't have any interest for 18 months which was spectacular. We used this card to consolidate and pay off a bunch of stuff. We definitely would recommend this card to others.

May 12th, 2017 Torrington, CT

My 84-y-o mother in law (whose younger aide was driving) had her car demolished in a crash when a USAA-insured driver zoomed through a stop sign and T-boned them. Two witnesses plus the police report said the USAA-insured driver was completely at fault. Four months later, mother in law receives a letter from USAA saying they've decided SHE was at fault and they are not going to pay her $500 deductible. Unbelievable. Shameless. They're of course banking on the fact that she's elderly and won't protest. DO NOT SIGN WITH THIS COMPANY.

May 12th, 2017 Ellenwood, GA

I'm a military veteran (US Army) and a former employee of a global financial institution whose name, were I to mention it here, would be very familiar. A few years ago my wife, who is also a veteran (US Marines) recommended I move my banking and financial accounts to USAA from the bank where I was employed. It was the best decision I could make. USAA's commitment to providing the best customer experience (e.g. respectful customer service representatives, refunding of ATM fees) combined with the technological options (e.g. mobile deposit) is why I am pleased to do business with them. Keep up the great work, USAA!