Navy Federal Logo

Navy Federal

6.5

LAST UPDATED: November 4th, 2021

Founded in 1933, Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) was created to assist members of the U.S. military and their families. To be eligible for an NFCU credit card, you must be a member of the credit union (which is only available to active duty and retired military members), a civilian employee or retiree of the Department of Defense, a contractor who works on U.S. government installations, or an immediate family member of an NFCU member.

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards programs
  • Limited annual fee
  • Low late payment fee
  • No foreign transaction fee
  • Fraud safeguards

Competitive APRs

Navy Federal Credit Union's APRs range from 8.24 to 18.00 percent*, which is extremely competitive when compared to rates offered by other top credit card companies. However, NFCU does not offer an introductory rate of 0 percent like many other companies in the industry.

Rewards Programs

When it comes to rewards options, Navy Federal Credit Union offers several programs for its cardholders to participate in. Customers can earn cash back and points that may be redeemed for consumer items and travel.

Limited Annual Fee

Annual fees for almost every Navy Federal Credit Union card are $0, which is an awesome money-saving feature. The company does charge an annual fee of $49 for its Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card.

Low Late Payment Fee

Navy Federal Credit Union charges $20 for every late payment, which is one of the lowest fees in the industry. Most credit card companies charge late payment fees upward of $35.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Navy Federal Credit Union does not charge a fee for foreign transactions, which is an especially nice feature for cardholders who travel frequently.

Fraud Safeguards

Each of Navy Federal Credit Union's cards have a zero liability policy, meaning that cardholders are not held financially liable for unauthorized charges if their card is lost or stolen. In addition, all NFCU credit cards are embedded with an encrypted microchip to provide additional fraud protection.

The Bad

• Limited availability
  • No free credit score tracking

Limited Availability

Navy Federal Credit Union's cards are only available to members of the United States military and their families, which is very respectable. However, non-military members should be aware that NFCU's services are not available to them.

No Free Credit Score Tracking

Some credit card companies provide their customers with free credit score tracking so that they can stay on top of their credit score. Unfortunately, Navy Federal Credit Union does not offer this benefit.

The Bottom Line

Navy Federal Credit Union offers competitive APRs, rewards programs, limited fees, and fraud safeguards. However, NFCU's services are only available to members of the U.S. military and their families and the company does not provide free credit score tracking.

Lisa C Johnson Rockville, MD

I needed a bank for savings. Navy Federal was suggested to me. The employees are friendly. The hours are extended where I can go after work. My husband and I have car loan with them. The loan manager helped us to get the best percentage and monthly payments. I am satisfied with the outcome. I was able to be a member because my father was in the military. Its nice for family members to be a part of the credit union. I feel they give the best service. I think they are trustworthy.

Angel Casey Tallahassee, FL

Navy Federal is personally my favorite bank and the app they have is very easy to use.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Navy Federal is an awesome credit union to handle my charge card. The have given me the absolutely lowest rates without high fees. They manage billing easy and help with any credit transaction issues very well. Overall superb service for my Navy Federal credit card.

claire irish Santa Ana, CA

they have pretty good interest rates and fantastic customer service. like cannot say enough good things about their customer service. their rewards are pretty good, i have the cashback rewards card. wish my interest rate were lower but that'll always be true

Jodianna

I enjoy how secure and easy the card is. I can easily check my bank statements online. Customer service is also helpful.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Quick approval and my card is linked to my checking/savings. I can easily pay off my bill and every time I shop with that card I earn points. And there’s no annual fee.

Deanna Moore Dumfries, VA

Great experience with Navy Federal. I love that they offer solutions that match every stage of my life - from my first job in high school, through college, to a professional career - and everything along the way (house, cars, etc.).

Rommie Bishop III Rexburg, ID

Navy Federal is the bank I currently am with, and have been for about 6 years now. 6 years, and EVERY time I have talked with their customer service I've been thoroughly impressed with their kindness and accommodation. I see no reason to switch banks and hope I never do.

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

I have been using Navy Federal since i was old enough to get my first debit card. Navy Federal has helped me a lot when my card information got stolen and also when I lost my card. They called me, and we handled the situation promptly. I would recommend navy federal because I feel that they really care about their customers.

Ben Crisp Temecula, CA

My family has banked with navy federal for a longtime now and we have never had a problem with it. There are credit card options for every situation and the rates are amazing. There really no way to lose with navy federal.

Beachnut The Cajun Camper Mandeville, LA

I like Navy Fed. I do. I like what they stand for. But, I do think they could do more/offer better APRs and such to their customers. I probably won't ever leave Navy Fed...but, who knows!

Charlie Mableton, GA

Great for military service members. Ease of service. No hidden fees. very friendly and values their customers

Aaron And Cortney Kelly Layton, UT

Great customer service and great rewards program

loretta burdine Atlanta, GA

They don't do business with me I suppose that they don't think my score is good enough