Capital Bank offers four credit card products in addition to other mobile banking services including checking accounts, savings accounts, mortgage loans, other loans, and wealth management. Capital Bank was founded in 2010, merged with First Tennessee Bank in 2017, and is currently a part of the First Horizon National Corporation family of companies.
- Cards and Benefits Available
- Fraud Protection
- Digital Banking Tools
Cards and Benefits Available
None of the Capital Bank Visa cards have annual fees, a unique benefit among credit card companies. Cards and other benefits offered are as follows:
- Visa Classic Secured — aids in building or rebuilding credit history
- Visa Classic — link to checking for overdraft protection and 0% APR for 12 months
- Platinum Premier Visa — includes above benefits plus travel and emergency assistance and auto rental insurance
- Visa Signature — includes above benefits plus two rewards points for every dollar spent at restaurants and gas stations and one reward point everywhere else as well as concierge customer service
Capital Bank takes measures to protect consumers from fraud by utilizing chip card protection, quick on/off card control, password and firewall protection, 128-bit key SSL encryption, email alerts when log-in info has changed, and a fraud detection team to monitor accounts. The company also educates consumers on the federal laws and regulations in place to protect consumers.
Digital Banking Tools
The Capital Bank website as well as the mobile app for Apple and Android gives account holders the ability to manage their money online or on the go and includes these features:
- Bill pay
- Account transfers
- Personal financial management tools (track spending, create a budget, and develop a savings plan)
- Manage account alerts
- View online statements
- Track balance and transaction information
- Deposit checks
Mobile App Issues
Although the mobile app has several attractive capabilities, reviews on the app store pages indicate that the app could use some more work to make account information more accessible and navigation more user-friendly.
The Bottom Line
Capital Bank’s top selling point is that it doesn’t charge credit card holders an annual fee. Other perks include fraud protection, double rewards points for the Visa signature, and online digital banking tools. However, if you rely on an app for credit card management, stronger financial apps are available. Luckily, Capital Bank is continually updating the app to respond to customer feedback and enhance the user experience.