LAST UPDATED: March 19th, 2021
Founded in 1882, BMO Harris Bank is a subsidiary of BMO Financial Group. The company offers a number of financial services, including credit cards.
- Rewards programs
- Fraud safeguards
BMO Harris Bank offers a number of rewards programs that allow cardholders to earn points and up to 2 percent cash back on purchases they make using their card.
Depending on the card, BMO Harris Bank offers several technical and customer-based technologies to protect its customers from fraud and identity theft, including the following:
- Chip Technology: Chips are embedded into BMO Harris Bank's cards for increased identity protection with every purchase at chip-enabled terminals. The chips are encoded with information that is specific to the cardholder and difficult to steal externally.
- Travel Accident Insurance: BMO Harris Bank provides travel accident insurance to protect its customers and their families against accidental death or dismemberment.
- Lost or Damaged Luggage Insurance: This benefit reimburses customers for the actual cost of repairing or replacing their checked or carry-on luggage if it is lost or damaged while traveling.
- World Travel Services/MasterCard Travel Services: This includes a suite of benefits, amenities, upgrades, preferential treatment, and premium travel offers from best-in-class travel companies.
- Identity Theft Resolution Services: BMO Harris Bank provides customers with access to a number of services, including credit bureau notifications, card replacement assistance, identity theft education, and the opportunity to enroll in identify theft alerts.
- MasterCard Zero Liability: This feature ensures that cardholders are not held responsible for unauthorized purchases.
- Extended Warranty: When customers purchase an item using their BMO Harris Bank card, they can double the original warranty for up to 24 months on most new items purchased in the United States.
- Price Protection: This benefit covers most purchases made entirely with a MasterCard card for 120 days from the date of purchase for the difference between the price paid for the item and the lower advertised price.
- Purchase Assurance: This feature covers most items purchased with an eligible MasterCard card if the item is damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date of purchase.
- Master Roadassist Roadside Service: This feature connects customers with emergency roadside assistance for jump starts, tire changes, towing, and gas delivery if the customer gets stuck on the road.
- MasterRental: This benefit pays for covered damages (physical damage and theft) to a rental vehicle when an eligible MasterCard card is used to initiate and pay for the entire rental transaction.
- Lack of transparency
- Annual fees
Lack of Transparency
BMO Harris Bank has not disclosed a number of important pieces of information on its corporate website, including APR rates, late payment penalties, and foreign transaction fees. In addition, it is unclear whether or not the company offers free credit score tracking to its cardholders. This lack of transparency can be frustrating for potential customers who would like to know exactly what they're getting into before they sign up.
BMO Harris Bank charges its cardholders an annual fee up to $79, depending on the card. Although for some cards the fee is waived for the first year, there are several other credit card companies that do not charge annual fees at all.
The Bottom Line
BMO Harris Bank offers rewards programs and fraud safeguards, but the company charges annual fees and is not entirely transparent on its corporate website.
Was this content helpful?