Barclaycard Logo

Barclaycard

4.9

Barclays introduced the first credit card to the U.K. in 1966. The company's U.S. branch, Barclaycard, has been offering credit cards in the U.S. since 2004 when it began partnering with companies to offer "co-branded" credit cards.

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • No Annual Fees
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards Program

The majority of Barclaycard's credit cards are rewards cards. There are a variety of different cards to choose from, so customers can pick which rewards they would like to take advantage of. Benefits include cash, bonuses, points, consumer items, and travel rewards.

No Annual Fees

Barclaycard does not charge any annual fees, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

Fraud Safeguards

Keeping its cardholders' accounts secure is Barclaycard's top priority. Because of this, the company has put security measures in place. For example, Barclaycard requires verification and a special passcode to log in. Additionally, the company does not hold cardholders liable for reported unauthorized charges.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • Late Payment Penalties

Undisclosed Information

Barclaycard has not disclosed APR ranges on its corporate website. In addition, it is unclear whether or not the company charges a foreign transaction fee or provides its customers with free credit score tracking.

Late Payment Penalties

Each time a cardholder makes a late payment, they will incur a fee of up to $35.

The Bottom Line

Barclaycard does not charge annual fees and offers several rewards programs and fraud safeguards. However, the company has not disclosed several pieces of important information, including APRs, and charges late payment fees.

3.9

DandJ Bech Beaverton, OR

I mailed them a payoff check on 2/25/21 that I got by refinancing my house. I sent it certified mail so that I could track when it got there. It was delivered to their mailbox on 3/3/21. I waited until 3/5/21 before calling them. It still hadn't been picked up. I asked the 1st person and a supervisor if they would please pick up the check and process it before my due date of 3/8/21. They both quoted me that their mailed payment process takes 7-10 business days and it wouldn't be processed until 3/11/21. They said they wouldn't refund or do anything about the late fee that would be incurred, even though the payoff was sitting in their mailbox for 2 days already and would be there for 5 business days before they processed it. I had to make an extra payment online and now I will have a couple extra hundred dollars paid on my account when they process the check. I'll have to find out how to get that money back. I will be closing my account as soon as I can.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve bought all my Apple products on the card and so far I have been so happy with this company. I have 18 months zero interest and I love how they give me a free update on my credit score monthly. Their online service lets me pay my bill online with no free. The online service is very user friendly and sends me updates on my account. I will definitely keep this account open.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the Arrival+ Barclaycard Mastercard and love it. You earn 70,000 bonus miles after spending so much money in the first 3 months. Its the best card for travel because you get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption every time you redeem. If you travel a lot like I do you will want this card! It pays for itself and the first year fee is waived.

derrick zonca Wahiawa, HI

I’ve had my card for quite some time now and if it weren’t for 0% promotional interest rates at the Apple store, I’d cut it up and never use it again. The APR is outrageous after the promotion runs out. I’m talking almost 30%. Not to mention the terrible customer service. I recently bought a new iPad and 2 weeks after the purchase set up my automatic payments. When my bill date came, no payment was made and I was hit with a fee. According to their representatives, when setting up auto pay, you have to make another one time payment for the first bill because the auto pay doesn’t kick in until the following billing cycle. Their website says nothing about this when setting it up. They will charge you a service fee of $29 for missing your first payment. So be cautious and make the additional one time payment first. Then you have to call customer service which was incredibly rude and short with me from the beginning. I told them I wanted to dispute the fee and she questioned me for 20 minutes before realizing I wasn’t disputing the purchase and then told me I wasn’t in the correct department and she had to transfer me to someone else. Once transferred the man told me of the way their “system works” and rushed me off the phone by saying “he’ll put it in my file” that they look into changing how the auto pay system works. It’s as though they know this happens, people are upset about it, and their tired of taking the calls but won’t do anything to make the change.

Zac Cannon Gulfport, MS

I use Barclay's through Apple Rewards. I get great interest and a great credit line! It also keeps up with my FICO credit score and is fairly accurate. My interest also stays low and if I buy Apple products with it, I get a full year interest free, depending on promotions.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

Barclaycard was a good card for me at the time. It was a little high on the interest rate, but they would lower it for me if I paid on time and handled the credit effectively. I was able to increase my credit available over time and it was received at everywhere I wanted to shop and buy things.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Barclaycard is easy and convenient for me, as I use it everywhere, in shopping, restaurants, travel and other purchases. It is easy to keep track of online, they keep track of my spending and give me a report that helps as well and I like the rewards program.

Kristen ‘Aiea, HI

While the customer service I've received has been good, their interest rates are too high, I've set alert for my account and it never works and they have been known (I have a close friend who has experienced this) to blacklist people from applying for their credit card.

MattB American Fork, UT

I use my Barclaycard everyday. I originally applied for it because of the rewards offer. I love their travel rewards card and it’s helped me pay for some of our vacation lodging expenses.

Hallieford Orem, UT

We love the low interest rates on our Barclaycard card. We got behind on our payments and they were very helpful and helped us work out a plan to catch up without being penalized.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I currently have three Barclaycards that I use for purchases. The website that allows you to maintain your cards is VERY well put together and it makes it quite simple to see your balance, etc. The cards are taken everywhere and I like the introductory no interest period on apple products with the apple card.

Ponch Thompson South Jordan, UT

The cashback card we have used is solid. 2 pts for groceries. 1 pt for most other. The rewards process is easy and works well to get gift cards or get a credit to pay down balance. We have not had to use customer service much. The little interaction, though, was good.

Keri Christensen Lehi, UT

My Barclays card is the best! I recently redeemed some of my points and it was so easy. They basically just credited my card for my qualifying purchases. Really low annual fee as well!

Sanford

Great customer Service. Always available to help

Myken Cheyenne, WY

We use our Barclaycard daily for everyday expenses and the rewards add up fast. The app is very user friendly and convenient.

Tamara Krause Jacksonville, FL

I have been a customer for over 10 years and never missed a payment. Then, out of the blue, I get a letter stating they reduced my credit line by $6,000 - right before the holidays! When I called to speak to them, they spent 2 minutes, reviewed the account and said they wouldn't change their decision. I'll be paying off the card and cancelling it.

Anonymous Ocala, FL

They allowed a charge to take place, even after I disputed the charge, because the merchant had used the card before.

Anonymous Henderson, NV

High Interest Rates and the lack of reducing the rate even after on time payments and longevity with the credit card company

Noemi Wisniewski Chandler, AZ

Gives cash back. Easy to deal with. Staffs are polite. Customer service are station here in USA

abe fried Bensalem, PA

Great offers and promotions to sign up! customer service is very good and they are very professional.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Love this credit card and the rewards associated with it. I have used it's balance transfer as a way to lower debt

Don Boren American Fork, UT

I really liked their rewards program. There was real value to it. I had a Cabela's card that I used the rewards all the time.

Douglas Kempf

Very good and navigable web site, very good and responsive customer service,

amy rex ,

love Barclaycard Jetblue card. No fees and great earning potential for TrueBlue points.

linda preston Sacramento, CA

Every dollar spent gets you double points back.

Anonymous Ocala, FL

Brooke

Good service and no annual fee required, etc

Donna Wheeler Spring Valley, CA

Interest rates are too high and will not work with you.