Goodwill Logo
LAST UPDATED: October 14th, 2021
Goodwill Industries International was founded by a Methodist minister, Reverend Edgar J. Helms. As part of his ministry and work to help those in need, he collected items which were discarded by more affluent households and brought them to those with whom he was working for repair and distribution. His vision of creating self sufficiency has grown to a large network of independent organizations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Panama, and Uruguay. Each Goodwill Industries International is independently operated, and done so by region. As such policies for stores, etc. vary greatly. All information in this review is focused on the headquarters of Goodwill Industries International, which is located in Rockville, Maryland.

The Good

• Inexpensive fundraising expenses
  • 83 percent of revenue spent on program delivery
  • Financial information is accessible

Total Income

Goodwill Industries International received $73,884,867 in 2015, down from $89,979,218 in 2014. The organization had total revenue of $53,902,760 in 2013. The dips in support coincide with false information and negative publicity.

Administrative Expenses

Goodwill Industries International reported that in 2015, of its annual income of $89,979,218, that $3,591,289 was used for administrative expenses. The CEO of Goodwill Industries International, Jim Gibbons, received a salary of $745,000 in 2013. Contrary to reports of the top management of Goodwill Industries International earning extravagant salaries, it should be noted that in 2014, Mr. Gibbons took a pay cut of over $100,000, with a salary of $639,085. This salary data is comparable to that for others in leadership positions for charitable organizations of that size and scope, and nowhere near the purported $2.3 million salary which is often circulated via email and social media posts.

Fundraising Expenses

When comparing to many other comparably-sized charitable organizations, Goodwill Industries International does not devote much of their annual revenue towards fundraising. The 2015 fundraising expense reported was only $512,072.

Program Percentage

Those supporting Goodwill Industries International are often curious about the amount of their donation (either monetary or of goods to be sold in a Goodwill's store) which goes towards the program of providing employment and training for those needing assistance. 83 percent of all revenue is spent on the program.

Accessible Financial Information

Goodwill Industries International has published their financial information and annual reports online, however the only way which the review team was able to find them was by performing a direct search on Google. Many other charitable organizations post links to their financial information and annual reports on their website.

Donor Communication

Goodwill Industries International collects their donor's contact information and may send donors solicitations for additional donations and announcements about upcoming events or programs. Donor names can be published by Goodwill International Industries, unless the donor specifically requests to opt-out.

Awards

Goodwill Industries International has won several awards for efforts in improving career opportunities for individuals. A few of these include: 2016 - Ability One Network Awards
  • Performance Excellence in Government Contracts Award: signifies the successful partnership of the Ability One Network with Goodwill agencies in providing support to individuals with disabilities.
  • Goodwill Industries of Lower South Carolina (Charleston)
  • Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
2016 - HR.com Awards
  • Leadership Excellence Award: recognizing Goodwill Industries International's Executive Development Program in the Best Corporate University Category
  • Top Corporate Leader Award: Lane Schonour
2011 Telly Award
  • Winner in the Not-For-Profit category for their Donate Movement public service announcements

What Customers Are Saying

Customers of Goodwill Industries International retail stores report a high level of satisfaction with the majority of their experiences with the company. While this is not absolute, because stores are managed by different affiliates, the ratio of positive to negative experiences is comparable to those reported for other retail entities. Mission and Program Goodwill Industries International works to offer on-the-job training for those who might have difficulties finding and keeping employment for a variety of reasons, including disability, lack of experience, or even having a criminal background. By doing so, Goodwill creates opportunities for those who are in need, giving them tools to work toward self-sufficiency. Ease of Donation/Support Those choosing to support Goodwill Industries can do so by giving a monetary gift or by donating household goods to a local Goodwill Center for resale in a Goodwill Industries store. Businesses looking to support Goodwill Industries International's mission can become a partner and either create a job for one of the people who have worked at Goodwill Industries International or received training from the organization. Mutual Benefit For those looking to donate goods to Goodwill Industries International, the process allows them to remove unwanted or unneeded items from their home. By so doing, their donation is not sent to a landfill and is repurposed into another's home. Those shopping at Goodwill Industries are able to save money on their purchases, as items at Goodwill Industries stores are priced below retail. Those working with the donations at donation centers or in the retail stores are able to receive on-the-job training and become more self-sufficient.

The Bad

• Negative press
  • Lack of transparency

Negative Press

Almost every year and often around the holidays, an email circulates with information about various charities and the ways they are purported to use donations. Goodwill Industries International is mentioned in the email, complete with top secret information about their CEO and his salary. The biggest problem with this email is that the reported CEO of Goodwill is a person who has never been the CEO, and is otherwise unknown, Mark Curran ($2.3 million annual salary). The current CEO of Goodwill Industries International is Jim Gibbons, and his salary is proportionate with other non-profits, being $745,000 in 2013 and $639,085 in 2014. Another allegation is that Goodwill Industries International exploits disabled workers and pays them wages as low as $0.22/hour by using Special Minimum Wage Certificates. There is some truth in this, being that the wage certificates are used with a very small percentage of employees, but there is no actual proof of a wage this low. One area which is often neglected in this allegation is that Goodwill Industries International offers employees with a significant disability additional training and benefits, which can result in these employees making more than their "abled" co-workers. Variability of Store Policies and Practices Being that Goodwill Industries International has many affiliates and sub-organizations which are managed independently of the charity's headquarters, there is variability in store policies and practices. The organization does not operate as a strict franchise, with uniform expectations and policies. This can be frustrating for many who want a cookie-cutter experience with the retail stores that they frequent. When there are challenges, customers are not able to escalate their concerns with higher management or to company headquarters. Doing so results in a response that all affiliates are run independently, which often further frustrates and already frustrated customer. Lack of Transparency Goodwill Industries International, having so many affiliate locations which are run independently, does not have full disclosure about their individual organizations. There are many who have complaints with one location and then transfer their bad experience to the organization as a whole. This is unfortunate because the program as a whole has produced good results.

The Bottom Line

The work accomplished by Goodwill Industries International has been eclipsed by inflammatory news reports or viral social media/email smear campaigns directed at some of the largest charitable organizations in the United States. Consequently, donations have steadily dropped over the last several years, but have begun to climb. The review team recommends giving to or supporting Goodwill Industries International with cash or goods donations or by shopping at its retail stores. An area which would help improve the Goodwill Industries International's image would be higher transparency of their annual reports and financial statements. Several other organizations are far more transparent with their records, and this practice helps donors feel more confident in their selection of a charity.

4.1

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I have been taking my donations to Goodwill for years and recently stopped because of an incident that I witnessed in the store. A Mother was buying a winter jacket for her daughter and was a couple dollars short. The clerk was so rude as the lady tried to dig in her purse to find the extra money. The gentleman behind her gave the mom the money to help her out… but in my mind, I would think that since literally everything is donated to them, the clerk could had asked her manager to discount the coat for her. It was just overwhelming for me to see the clerk be so rude while the lady was obviously struggling.

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

Easy to schedule pick-ups. They are a quality charity that you can depend on.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I like Goodwill, they have a good selection of things to choose from and they have great locations for you to donate your items too. The only problem is that the CEO makes WAY too much money for a company that is supposed to be helping others. That's NOT good will at all!!!!!! I understand wanting to make money and provide for your family but the CEO makes millions or billions while so many other suffer to make ends meet.

Matthew Wadley San Diego, CA

We love donating clothes, furniture, books and anything else we no longer use or need. Everyone that works in the donation part of the company is friendly and extremely helpful. I love how they help those that normally wouldn't be hired because of their past get jobs and education. Although I don't like shopping at Goodwill my wife and daughters love going at least once a month to find hidden treasures. ITs a great place for teachers to find supplies or those that do crafts. We find a lot of good baskets there and some cool one of a kind presents for White Elephant Gift Exchanges.

Johnna Marysville, MI

I shop at the Goodwill in Marysville, MI. The main reason is because of the staff there. They are super friendly and very helpful. Jennifer especially goes out of her way to help. If I am looking for an item in particular, she will hunt for it until she finds one for me to look at. Great customer service!!! And there are always lots of goodies to look at!!

J. Whelan Long Beach, MS

I hear and read in places from people, "Is there any where I can take my clothes besides Goodwill. Because all they do is sell them for profit". During hurricane Katrina we lost everything. Goodwill really helped us out tremendously! They were able to help clothe us, provide houseware items, pet items for free, BUT they were also the only place that gave us a credit card gift card we could go and buy what we needed. I will forever be grateful to Goodwill for what they did for us during a tragic time in our lives. So I take all of my items I don't need to Goodwill and hope that they can sell it for a profit and help somebody else out in a crisis.

stevey shumway Midvale, UT

I have donated to Goodwill on several occasions, I think it is great place to donate to! I also shop their every now and then- always finding great deals! The employees are always so nice and willing to help the customers. It is a great environment.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

I love both shopping from and giving to goodwill. I think it is a good company with a good cause plus it provides me with the service of getting rid of some now unneeded item as well as allowing me to purchase things from the for cents on the dollar. I have even bought some textbooks from school from Goodwill

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

I believe in what Goodwill stands for providing used goods/products that are sold to bring in revenue to help those who are down on their luck and need a hand up out of of their pit of despair. I believe in the people who volunteer their time to help those who need it.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Goodwill is a hero among charities. They make it easy to donate and to buy from. I appreciate their clean stores, value pricing, and their whole-hearted effort to help others. As a charity, it is a great example of what is good in this world!

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

Goodwill is easy to donate to, just drop off any household items or clothing that you no longer use. It's a great way to clean out your closets and cupboards and help people in your community. Goodwill usually has stores conveniently located in most cities. Goodwill stores also help people purchase used items at a fraction of the cost of new.

Jasmine King New Orleans, LA

Goodwill has, for many years, supplied me with cheap, nice clothes. I consider myself a fashionable person, and I personally consider Goodwill a goldmine for cute clothing. The clothes are cheap, well sorted, and I can’t recall a bad experience with any of the workers. Overall, a wonderful store for people with less money.

Allison Campbell Ellisville, MS

Good will is a great company they are all about reusing clothing, furniture, book and ect. They make sure their products are good enough to sell. They have great employees. Everytime I go in good will they don't judge you and give you advice for sales. They have high price and vintage clothing for a reasonable price.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

Goodwill is a great place for purchasing clothes in bulks. The idea of used clothes being in good condition seemed unreal to me. Now, I enjoy shopping there. There are a variety of clothing options to choose from. From more casual to business professional. Goodwill has at all and their display is well thought out by caring staff.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I love goodwill. I have found kitchen supplies, clothes, books, furniture, etc. There is a goodwill near my house and my dad loves to go there. Very organized and a variety of selection. Sales Associates have been very friendly!

Kay

Recently, I took two plastic sleds to my local Goodwill store. The donation attendant told me they could not take the first one, because there was a crack in it---the crack being one or two inches long, and there were no grip handles on the side, although my children still used it without handles. To be honest, I did not notice the crack until she pointed it out. The second sled was a little dirty, (probably a matter of five minutes with a soapy cloth)and she said they had no time to clean it, and besides the "Millenials" would want something a little more modern. I looked on WalMart's website, and the sled that I was offering was very similar to one being sold for $25. So I'm not sure what the "Millenials" comment was about---perhaps they look like Batmobile for a racing type. What about families that can't afford $40 or$50 for a more modern sled. Then she suggested taking them to the Salvation Army, as they were not as "picky" as Goodwill. I've donated many items to Goodwill in the past, and have never had any of the attendants refuse items. Is this a new policy--or was the attendant out of line?

Sicely Lyn Russell Phoenix, AZ

I think Goodwill has cool options that are super cheap. And for some odd reason you can find cool fancy dresses that are actually still great quality!

Mia miga7440 Denver, CO

Good will is a wonderful company to donate your belongings to. They take almost anything, and put it all at a very reasonable price. All of their clothes are in good quality for being used.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Goodwill was a good choice when I needed to donate any of my old stuff like shoes and clothes. The employees helped me figure out what I could donate and let me know what I donated was used!!!

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

Customer service is not that great in many Goodwill locations! I love the idea and the the fact that the items are so cheap! It has such a humanitarian approach to it and its fun to go to when you want to look for little knickknacks!

Jennifer Donnelly Tallahassee, FL

Overtime I clean my apartment I always find stuff in my closet that I do not use but are in great condition. Goodwill is the place I donate my stuff to because I know my items will be used for a great cause.

Summer Porter Managua, MN

Goodwill makes it very easy for both customers to purchase from and donators to drop off. Their is a great variety in their stores and considering it a second hand store, it is quite organized by category. Donating is easy; as long as you have the clothes bagged up, it is as easy as entering the store and drop off at the counter.

Joss Ocean Springs, MS

I absolutely love shopping at Goodwill. You never know what you'll find! We've bought furniture at a steal during the 50% off everything in store promotions! I'm a repeat customer and so is most of my family!

Maria La Puente, CA

I have been buying from Goodwill for more than 30 years and never before had the employees of the stores assaulted the customers asking for donations of their change until the last coin, seems like they think the people go to the used things store because they are rich. Also the stores are run by two or three employees who have to do everything, including disturbing the buyers.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

I have not shopped too much at Goodwill, but the times that I have I have really liked it. The prices were very fair for what I was buying. There were a lot of clothes options and I was even able to find an Ugly Christmas Sweater.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

The bottom line is I can get items I need for a big discount. On top of that, it helps employ people in the area and help with community based programs, a win win! I know my donations will help my community.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Goodwill has provided me with items that I would not have been able to get elsewhere. They are a wonderful help to the community and provide needed goods and services that cannot be received in any other way.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

Goodwill does a very good job of taking donations and selling them for a low price so others can afford them. I find lots of good clothes for super cheap, not to mention you can get books, furniture, and other household items for a fraction of the normal cost. The only reason I didn’t give 5 stars is because sometimes the stores seem a little dirty, but I just wash everything when I get home.

Taylor Walker Tallahassee, FL

Goodwill is a wonderful charity to shop at and donate to. I donate clothes and other miscellaneous items that others may need. I have also shopped there for decently priced items. The people are always so helpful and everything is always easy to find.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I am a huge supporter of Goodwill. They are great as a charity and their department stores offer clean clothing at a reasonable price. My wife and I enjoy donating our old clothes to the company knowing that someone who needs it more than us will be able to have clothes.

Madelyn Moselle, MS

Goodwill is such a great organization. I can recall after hurricane Katrina happened, goodwill was there to help families in need. They gave cloths blankets whatever people were in need of. And for low income families, clothing is made affordable. Good job to GoodWill

Diamond Collins Jacksonville, FL

Goodwill is the perfect clothing store for struggling families. They never put out clothes with holes or stains so there is no worries when purchasing clothes from them. The Goodwill I entered was very organized by color and size.

Olmanika Milfort Tallahassee, FL

I very often thrift shop here and it is very underestimated. I found many valuable clothing that I can fit to match my style and switch up every now and then. If you are not afraid or are a very patient person, I would recommend shopping here if you're looking to save money.

Ramone Raiford Tallahassee, FL

One of my favorite places to shop! They allow you to buy cute clothes for affordable prices. I always find hidden gems whenever I go. I also make sure I donate my gently used or completely new clothes to them because I know how excited I get when I am able to buy new things from them

Khori Howard Tallahassee, FL

I like the Goodwill in my area because I went there because I heard they offer CNA courses for free and they really are helpful when it comes to finding people jobs. They really do want you to succeed. They offer a wide variety of services to help people get on their feet from CNA courses, restaurant jobs, computer literacy, etc. plus the store that gives back as well.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

As a college student Goodwill has been my go to. College is expensive and I have used Goodwill to benefit to get clothes for interviews, conferences, and assemblies. I have been able to get outfits for class and as well as all my professional settings.

Andrea C Moran-Melendez Jacksonville, FL

I absolutely love the fact that I am able to donate so many things to goodwill. I also absolutely love all of the amazing employment opportunities they offer. Goodwill truly does give back the community. I also hope that they expand their technical training programs to more locations.

Sara S Tallahassee, FL

I love what Goodwill does for the community. Anything you bring into them is tax deductible and if you shop there you can definitely find some hidden gems. Instead of throwing out your old clothes or books, you should bring them to goodwill!

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

Goodwill is a great place to donate things that you want to get rid of. It's also a great place to shop. I can always find different things there from old gadgets and game to vintage clothes and jeans!

Bailey Wilson Lubbock, TX

Goodwill is a great company, i donate and buy from them all the time. I think it is a little crazy that they receive clothes for free then charge 5-10 dollars per object but I understand its to pay the employees.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Goodwill is a great location to go to if you are looking for a place that takes donations of any kind. I also have found awesome pieces of clothing and home goods that were such a cheap price.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have donated and shopped at Goodwill. The donation process is fairly easy and shopping at Goodwill is always good experience. They keep their prices affordable and have promotions.

Patricia Broadus Moselle, MS

Goodwill has always been my go-to thrift store! When I was younger I used to go there with my grandparents every Saturday and I still go to this day! The prices are affordable and you always get good quality.

kaylee Ashburn, VA

One of the best place to donate/charity. Staffs are always so nice and generous, and you can donate almost anything for them to put reasonable prices.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I've donated to goodwill many times and the staff is always friendly and courteous. They always provide me with a tax deduction form when I need one. The donation centers are clean and well organized.

Sharon Arlington, VA

Hello, I've been frequenting Sterling Virginia Goodwill ever since I bought my home 20 years ago. I was BADLY treated by the cashier and will never return. I’m a busy executive. I walked in the store 830PM and quickly found several movies, most of which were for my elderly father. Each had a price tag, and I ensured each had a DVD. The cashier was very unfriendly. He COMPLAINED TO ME as he barked "THIS does not have a price tag" "so I cannot sell it to you." I calmly said but we know the price is $2.99, since it's on the sign where the DVD movies are. He barked POLICY IS I CANNOT SELL YOU. When I said but it's for my 88 year old father, he held up a sign w/store policy cannot sell w/no price. I said I wont be back. Minutes later, I called and calmly told the answering person. He then YELLED about me to a coworker, and said this person obviously doesn’t get it, and then he yelled at me to "never come back." I will tell everybody I know my experience today. I will never return to any Goodwill store again. The treatment of me was abhorent, and something I will never forget. Please train your employees to treat the customer respectfully. I have breast cancer, and do not deserve what occurred tonight. Any employee who treats a customer this way should be fired immediately.

william farmer Fruitland Park, FL

my wife and i drove 15 miles to the oxford fl. location with about 20 items to donate. admittedly the items were all used and had been in a storage shed for quite a long time. we were told, by the employee, they couldn't take the items because " nobody would buy this stuff". so rather than drive to a landfill, we hauled it back home and sat it all out at the end of our driveway. amazingly it was all gone in 4 hours. i thought goodwill took things and repaired them to provide jobs, thats what they did when we were young. apparently not so now. i will cease shopping at goodwill now, they would be happier if you just drop off a check.

Anita State College, PA

At the end of December, my husband and I, who have been donating to Goodwill for 15 years, donated a carload full of toys and clothing items. We were a little rushed and distracted trying to watch our little ones as we packed up the car and accidentally placed a box of items that we were saving forever (first outfits, blankets) in the car. We IMMEDIATELY realized the mistake and returned within minutes of our donation and asked for the box back. We offered to even buy everything back. But the person working at dropoff did not care (probably because it was the end of the day), saying that it was too late and everything had already been "sorted". He said that we would have to go through the store over the next few days and cherry pick our items. So we traveled back to Goodwill twice a day for several days only to find two items. After speaking with management and corporate about the situation, we were informed that a truck had most likely picked up the remainder of our items and taken them about an hour away where they would be "sorted" through over the course of MONTHS! Nothing ever came of it, despite regular followup with them. We were told that our missing items we're added to a search list but not to expect anything out of it. Probably because no one was searching. We begged to look ourselves from day one but were continually denied the opportunity. It's been three months now, and we continue to search the store in the hopes that something else turns up, even though we are given the cold shoulder by Goodwill employees. Some employees look at each other when I walk in and roll their eyes or smirk...incredibly cruel given that I have lost such sentimental items. I am so torn up over this that I cannot even fathom ever supporting "Badwill" in any way ever again. This has been a nightmare situation that could have quickly been solved from the start. Absolutely the worst company to deal with. I wish I could have given negative stars.

Ellie lamaire Holland, MI

Went shopping at the standale goodwill, the cashier called the manager, there was a goodwill emoloyee infront of me, from the G.W. offices i believe, and gets a discount, the cashier gave her such a bad time, then she called a manager and she was rude to the lady, i was imbarresed for her, they were telling her shes probally not in the system, and couldnt get her discount ,before they even looked it up? Then they looked it up ,she was in the computer. It formed a long line, and other customers were not impressed how they treated her, just rude, for no reason, i dont belive ill be going back there

W Parks Meadow Vista, CA

Goodwill NO LONGER helps you unload items if you’re off loading at a regular store!!!! I took several HEAVY boxes of VERY nice items to donate......I’m considered a senior citizen (well into my 60’s)and asked if they didn’t help unload anymore.....response was NO. Look, when you’re willing to donate nearly new items for their benefit it’d be nice to have some support when unloading. I have decided that I will NEVER again donate or shop at a Goodwill again. Trust me.....it’s their loss. I will GO OUT OF MY WAY to donate ANYWHERE *****but*****Goodwill from now on. Lousy, lousy, LOUSY customer service. Disappointing.