The RealReal Logo

The RealReal

LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2022

The RealReal online clothing consignment store has taken a unique approach to shopping. Unlike other online consignment stores, the company only offer s high-end consignment. According to its website, it is the leader in authenticated luxury consignment. Started and based in San Francisco, California in March of 2011, this company is growing rapidly into a hot spot for luxury goods and shopping at discount prices. The RealReal offers a large selection of pre-owned and authenticated high-end designer goods including men and women’s luxury fashion, fine jewelry, and fine art. They sell pieces from designers such as Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Rolex, as well as art from artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, along with hundreds of others you can find listed on their website. They offer good benefits for consigners of their products and have countless promotions for shoppers and opportunities to have memberships receiving many more benefits. Even up to 90% retail prices.

The Good

• Wide Variety of Product Selection
  • Numerous Promotions and Sales on Luxury Items
  • Membership and Consigner Privileges

This online consignment company provides its customers with many benefits for both shopping and selling products through their website. The RealReal has a large selection of pre-owned items for luxury resale. They sell men's fashion and women's merchandise as well as art pieces from well-known artists. Their products range from accessories, dresses, jewelry, handbags, shoes, ties, suits, outerwear and many more. Along with the many luxury designer clothes and fashion items sold, fine art is also sold through consigners. Each item sold goes through an authenticity process where it is evaluated by an in-house team of experts in each respective field. They have professionals on staff including gemologists, horologists, and art appraisers to ensure that luxury goods sold are authentic.

First views of The RealReal's website show promotions and sales that are easily accessible for the consumer. These promotions are constantly changing and the website gives you clearly marked start and end times for each sale. It is also clearly shown whether or not an item has already been sold or if it is still available. The website has colorful, interactive graphics that catch shoppers attention and make the buying experience both easier and more enjoyable.

Consigners with The RealReal are offered sixty percent of the sale price from the very first time their items are brought to the online store. They can then increase their profits by selling more merchandise, once they reach 7,500 in annual sales their earnings are increased to seventy percent. This company also offers a "white glove" pick up service in most cities. The service is used when a consigner has more than ten designer items and a Luxury Manager will be sent to pick-up the items at no cost. The RealReal also offers benefits for shoppers who join their First Look Membership. This program is only five dollars a month and entitles members to 24-hour advance access to sales and special invitations to monthly promotions.

The Bad

• High Price-tag for Pre-owned Merchandise
  • Complicated Shipping and Handling Procedure
  • Difficult Return Process

Like many stores, The RealReal is far from perfect. Although selling pre-owned luxury items keeps the business unique from other online consignment shops, it also creates many of its complications. The company has a difficult time producing pleasing customer reviews. Some of the main concerns for The RealReal are: While items with small price tags do exist on The RealReal, they are few and far between. Most of the merchandise sold on the website comes from famous fashion designers and artists and has a price tag to match its origination. Even though the products are pre-owned, they often sell like new. Although there are many sales on the clothing items, and customers are given plenty of opportunities to buy luxury, high-end items at discounted prices, the overall price tag of merchandise on The RealReal is costly.

The Shipping and Handling procedure on The RealReal's website is anything but user-friendly. They do not offer free shipping on any limit of merchandise and will not deliver to P.O. boxes, APO/FPO address, and most of the U.S. Territories. There is also a fee charged to deliver in some areas including Hawaii and Alaska. They ship via FedEx from warehouses in the NY tri-state area and travel to street addresses only in the United States and some international locations. Many of the problems or concerns customers have with shipping and handling can be easily discussed with the company's customer service team. They are easily accessible through their website or by phone number.

Along with the difficulty of shipping and handling, the return process at The RealReal is not simple. In order to return an item purchased on the website, a return merchandise authorization number must be requested within fourteen days of the shipment date. The customer must then after receiving their authorization number, return the purchase within twenty-one days of the shipment date. The customer is also responsible for all shipping costs of the return. The RealReal then asks customers to allow them a minimum of ten days to process the return item before a refund is given. Additionally, the company will never accept swimwear or sale items for return. The RealReal reviews have taken a negative hit as a result of these difficult processes.

The Bottom Line

With a unique approach to shopping by selling pre-owned high-end luxury items, The RealReal has created an online niche that appeals to many consumers interested in designer clothes. The easy to use website has made customers enjoy purchasing materials cheaper than retail prices through numerous sales and promotions. The RealReal has given consigners an easy way to sell their luxury merchandise and earn additional profit by offering sixty to seventy percent of the sale price. They have a wide variety of product selection that is offered for both women's and men's fashion and provide customers with benefits by joining their shopping program.

However, this does not mean this company is without faults. Shipping and handling can be challenging for both the consigner and the purchaser and returns from the website are difficult to follow through. The merchandise is also high priced for pre-owned items. The RealReal has been in business a short four years and has rapidly grown into the leader of authenticated luxury consignment. The company has things to work on and in the future could be a perfect destination for luxury merchandise.

1.4

KarenB New York, NY

I used TheRealReal to sell some clothes and shoes when I downsized to a smaller living space. It was great recycling some clothes in good shape which were ready to be worn by new owners. My experience with the site in the last few weeks has been ATROCIOUS. After hours of emails and calls to customer service, the site was unable to update my credit card. So, after loading up my shopping cart with the same items numerous times, I couldn't check out with my items. I was then forced to travel to a retail store where a helpful clerk was able to load my cart again and complete the purchase. He gave me $25 off for my troubles. As an aside, he told me that ever since Customer Service was outsourced, service had been a disaster. Once the items I ordered arrived, I needed to return them since they didn't fit. I quickly received one shipping label for the one of the boxes. The process to get a second label TOOK AN HOUR. Multiple text messages to Customer Service went unanswered or were returned because they were undeliverable. Life is short. To TheRealReal, no I won't be ordering anything from you EVER AGAIN. I still need shoes for my son's wedding andI won't be buying them from your business.

1 day ago

Roxy Duran Saint Robert, MO

In September 2022 I sent a brand new never used Louis Vuitton Speedy 20 with the black jacquard strap. It was purchase April 2022 and the strap has the upgraded adjustable strap feature. It was a full set, box, dust bag, lock and keys, tags and gift receipt. I have sold many bags over the years and have never had an issue so I trusted them. Now Monday Dec 5th I call again. I have been calling since October but for the last 4 weeks I’ve been call f every week because on my end my handbag says it’s pending price review and has not gone live on their website. Also there are no pictures of my hand bag. Magically I receive a email today same day saying to approve a price it was so low I don’t know how they came to that number $1295 usd. Retail is $2030 and what I paid without tax at LV boutique. There is a similar hand bag on their website 2021 speedy 20 black strap pristine condition like mine but no adjustable strap live on their site for $3200 so how they came to the price of my hand bag is insulting and a joke. While on the phone trying to figure out my initial issue of why it still was not live, I tell them I got the email and am declining their price and want my hand bag mailed back. The customer service rep says he has declined it and my bag will be mailed back. I’m worried because of the price they offered I will not get the exact bag full set on same condition back. Now 12 hours later I go on my account and it says it SOLD. And will recieve $971 in my account January 15th. How it sold I don’t know because there are no pictures and from what I can see on my end it still has not gone live. I am extremely stressed and unhappy with them. They have basically stolen from me. Someone or a group of employees are ruining this company and running an internal scam. They need to be held accountable. If anyone is suing or wants to please reach out to me.

Goldie Basquiat Washington, DC

The real real has the worst customer service. I’ve now contacted them 5x about the same issue. My whole consignment was stollen from one of their own luxury managers and they haven’t paid me out for 6 months I’m still having to send emails and make calls. PLEASE NEVER CONSIGN WITH THEM!

1 day ago

Mary-Anne Churu Dallas, TX

I had a really bad experience consigning with them, from the reviews others left, there is a pattern. They make misrepresentations to get your stuff and then walk away happy with the money while consigners are left with no information and no one responding to their concerns. They need to held accountable

Janet Goodart-Smoak Sanford, NC

I have purchased several Louis Vuitton handbags, I was ABSOLUTELY dumbstruck to find out $2700+ bag I purchased was FAKE. I have gotten no responses on my emails. I am going to report to BBB and I want to sue. They shouldn't get credit for selling authentic items. I could have gotten the same bag for literally a few hundred more. What a bunch of scammers

Jessica miller Dana Point, CA

I purchased what I thought we authentic Prozenza Schouler boots for $500. So months go by and I purchase another pair at full price at Neiman Marcus. Right way I can tell the difference in the quality. I reach out to customer service. They sent me this long email saying the item is authentic. I send an email back saying I know something is off and everything about the boots are different. I say I would like them re authenticated or I will pay to do so myself. They ask me to have them re authenticated myself. I do so..they come back counterfeit. Now they're saying that I need to send them back to them so they can authenticate it or I could resell them to them. I'm not happy with my experience with their customer service and how they do not stand behind their product. Now they are not responding to me. This company is a scam.

Shelley Burton Deerfield, IL

I have a complaint that has been consistently ignored. Someone else’s stuff is on my page. I’ve been paid for their merch. I have brought it to their attention several times. And an expensive ring I listed has been photographed with a black mark on it even though the copy says it has no marks. It will never sell and I’m entrusting them to sell it. It’s literally the cruxt of what you they and they’re doing it badly. They’ve let two clients down in just what I’ve posted today. Maybe 3 if someone likes my ring but passes because it looks damaged LET THE SELLER BEWARE. DONT TRUST YOUR ITEMS TO THIS COMPANY.

Linds B Vancouver, BC

Wide selection, easy to navigate - but that's where the pleasantries end. Items are overpriced, even more so if you are purchasing in Canada. Expect to pay high shipping fees (50+ CAD) and duties upon arrival ! Don't forget the exchange rate either. I have now received about 75% of my purchases with damage and/or wear not pictured or disclosed in the listing. Return process is convoluted or nonexistent. When I complained about a final sale item having serious damage not disclosed in the listing, I was offered a credit for the website - a credit that won't even cover the shipping cost of ordering something else. Yeah, thanks.. The prices fluctuate wildly, and there doesn't seem to be a clear logic to the pricing and markdowns process. I have even seen items priced OVER the last available retail price for NEW. It's honestly a waste of time and money to shop with the RealReal.

May S Cleveland, OH

I have been selling with The Real Real For over a year now and was happy with their service. They give a fair pricing for both buyer and seller. Of course the clothing isn’t that high since it is worn. I know the are really specific about the stuff they accept. They solved a lot of issues for me. I would not sell anywhere else. Wish they had a lower brand division they would accept cause the really make it easy you do t have to deal with anything and they pay on time.

Renee Albera Scottsdale, AZ

Nightmare beyond belief. How they have survived this long is shocking. Don't work with Taylor if you are in Scottsdale. She is a liar. They price the clothes like it is a garage sale. NO ONE will help you if you need assistance. You are completely at their mercy.

Kate Slaney Sebastopol, CA

I sent 15 items and 5 are missing. Literally 1/3 of the items I sent. It’s been 6 weeks, 7 customer service attempts (email, text and calling), 2 investigations and nothing has been done. I get the same answer I have to wait and for more than $3K of money stolen from me. Still waiting with no resolution. I’ve provided tracking, videos, packing slips etc. It’s a scam, beware!

Donna Chaffee Los Angeles, CA

I have been a “VIP consignor” for over a year. Lately, however, consigning with TRR has become a nightmare. They are only interested in selling things quickly — without concern for the consignor! Customer service is pretty much non-existent now and unfortunately, I have to deal with them constantly because my listings are almost always inaccurate and underpriced. They even photograph items backwards on the dress forms — incompetence is rampant at all levels. Because of these problems, I have notified them that I will no longer consign with TRR — it is simply too stressful. I have asked for return of some of my items and am still waiting for them more than two months later.

Rachel McAree Parker, CO

Misrepresentation, and Horrible Customer Service...if I could give TRR a 0 I would. I bought three bags (the 1st two were in "Very Good" shape and I loved them, same designer, same type and I was so happy) and then I bought that third bag. It was in "Very Good" Condition with "Minor Scratches" it wasn't it was HORRIBLY scratched (it looked like it got in a fight with a cat) so I asked for help and they ended up offering me two awful extortion-type options: $100 off ($1500 purse) or they'll do a return and they "reauthenticate it" and see if it is indeed in the shape I sent pictures of it. I trusted them, but they don't trust my pictures and after reading reviews of how items go missing I'll take my scratched purse and never shop here again. Trust is the only thing you have in the resell space. I have ZERO trust and I will NEVER shop here again. YEARS to find me TRR, seconds to lose me. Be honest. Apparently, there's a problem here with honesty.

Ivgenija Fastovsky M.D Miami Beach, FL

It is a rip off company When you consign designer clothing most of the time they take 80% for themselves. This year I have consign more than 80 fine jewelry pieces,some of them I didn't approve the price and within long 2 month gradually it was send to me poorly packed,sets were separated. designer earrings were broken into pieces and the necklace which is apart of the set was disconnected from big statement brooch which was missing. Another pair of 18k hoop earrings were lost or stolen I have reported about the issue the same day and send pictures. After 1 month of back and force they offered me a payout as if it was sold on their side for their low price which I have never approved minus 30% commissions That is illegal. They manipulate people delay payments and treat their consignors and buyers very poorly I have been working with them for 8 years being a VIP consignor. This company is dishonest and should be investigated

MOT Los Angeles, CA

As a consignor, their white glove service is very convenient but comes at a high cost to the consignor. They have regularly decreased their commission rates over the past few years so at this point their cut is very high and you get a very low payout. It is better to consign elsewhere, unless the convenience of the process is worth it to you. As a consumer: (1) often their pricing is high--- especially for pre-owned items. On some occasions I have found the same item, even with tags, for lower than TRR's list price. (2) they never offer free shipping, regardless of the order amount. (3) they charge you a "restocking fee" for each item you return-- online shoppers know how important return policies are, especially for apparel and shoes where there are concerns with fit; this is even more so the case with pre-owned items, which can have issues that are not fully disclosed in the description. (4) their photos are not always accurate: sometimes a top is dressed on the mannequin incorrectly; a dress is placed on the mannequin as a skirt; the wrong item is associated with the description; they do not accurately describe dimensions, or the same item is measured differently for different listings. Bottom line: I would look elsewhere as a consignor. I would only purchase from TRR if the item has tags and I know the specific item I am looking for.

Michi Weiss

I had a horrible experience. They did not show one of my items correctly and never did anything about it. You can never get a hold of customer service, they just send the same generic email that they're working to get the issue resolved but it never happened. Pricing on items and commission rates are ridiculous. They are not accurate.

Ingrid Kerwin Overland Park, KS

Never sell your items with the real real, you receive pennies on the dollar for never worn items that are very expensive. My dress retailed over $300, never worn, and I received $1.40 in a check. It’s a joke, great money for them, no money for you. They should be sending out donation slips.

Shahin Alam

The real real is real scam. They kept my bag for an evaluation of authenticity and sold it without my permission. They also lied on several occasion during the entire process. They assured me that my bag was being sent back to me but later said it was a miscommunication and offered me only a fraction of the amount. When I declined it, they simply stopped communicating. I will be filing a lawsuit in the small claims court. Reading all the reviews in different pages I can clearly see I am not the only victim. People need to be aware of this company.

Kari L Hollywood, FL

I decided to sell a dress through their website. It sold and returned just before the 21 day return policy, they listed it again, it sold and yet again it was returned just shy of the 21 day return policy. A 21 day return policy for a consignment store is inappropriate. My dress was worn by two different people and returned without a profit. Never again will I use this site.

Sarai Hesperia, CA

I sent my Valentino glasses and other handbags to get authenticated. I was informed in the prior quoting process, if I didn’t like the final sale price, I could request my items back! I checked into the website and noticed it said I made over $200, on the glasses and handbags! Like what??? All my items were brand new, tags on and in the original boxes. I wasn’t informed through email about my final sales price. They simply continued and sold the items. Now I can’t get my items nor am I getting paid what it’s worth. Do not sell with them please! I wish I would have known prior to sending my items. I feel taken advantage of like many others. While they still get away with it.

A Li Hayward, CA

For all consigners with The Real Real: they will SCAM SCAM SCAM you! Please reconsider if you are thinking of selling through TRR, because you will get sh*t money for selling your preloved items. It would be better kept inside your closet or on display collecting dust, or giving it to friends or even strangers, than selling through TRR, because you will get pretty damn steamed. You have no say on your items once you hand them over to TRR, while the items are processing, or when they will be active (with listing price lower than what they initially promised! No option to accept or reject the proposed price $ (different than what was offered!)). They even put your item on sale without your consent!!! I contacted the manager responsible for my items, took him forever to respond, then he told me to call the number he gave me; I called, then the number tell me to call "real choose a number 50347" like what? What number am I supposed to call? This is a joke! Then he gave me an email to contact customer service, I emailed and it said it will take them 3-5 business days to respond. The items are sold the next day. Oh, I even received an email from the manager congratulating me in having my items sold, when I need price adjustments to be done! (I received a response 2 weeks later…) My anger level maxed out; I will treat this as if someone just robbed me. Just please do not sell with this company ever again, their customer service is non-exist! and they scam you your items and will leave you steamed up, with nowhere to release your anger. Additional note: Simply taking couple pictures, and putting up some words (sometimes even wrong descriptions), they will take a huge percentage of your profit. Do yourself a favor, use other platforms such as mercari or poshmark, less commission and the items are sold in your consent.

Roni New York, NY

I wish I did not have to give TRR even one star!! A concierge from The Real Real came to my apartment and packed up two large bags that were picked up by their van the following day. I asked the concierge if I should take pictures of each item, she said “No, she was taking pictures and documenting everything.” I take responsibility, I knew I should have just taken my own photos. Long story short, the items supposedly arrived ant a warehouse to be examined to determine if they meet their standards to be listed on The Teal Real site. Now, for high ticket items, the seller is supposed to be able to approve or reject the price TRR determines, before listing the item on the site. Some time goes by and I receive an email with the description and pricing of all my high ticket items. I was fine approving all items except one Chanel Bag. The description they wanted to post did not describe my Chanel bag and I felt the pricing was too low for this particular bag. I had used it once and it was in perfect condition. I wanted this corrected before being listed so I called, and called TRR, I emailed and sent text messages. No one I spoke to was willing to update or change the description or price, they said “the description was correct”. I finally got so frustrated, I said “send me the bag back.” About a week later a received a UPS box from TRR, I opened it and the Chanel Bag in the box was not my Chanel bag, not even close. I assume that is why they were telling me the description was correct, because they were describing someone else’s bag. Three months later, dozens and dozens of calls, emails, text massage, I am still trying to resolve the situation. I can’t get a name, email, of anyone that can help me respond this, each representative gives me a new story and puts in a ticket. Not to worry, each person I spoke to assured they will look into the issue and and get back to me within a week. (LOL) I am not sure what a week is to the employees at TRR because I am still waiting to hear back any of them. I have never asked for money or a payout, I don’t want money, I just want my bag, not someone else’s. Yesterday, I receive two emails from a supervisor. His first email tells me he is sorry for how long this investigation is taking and he appreciates my patience. His team is looking into the matter and I will hear back within a week. Maybe two hours later the same supervisor sends me another email saying, he is sorry however the photo I sent in to TRR of the wrong bag I received, is The Same Chanel Bag I Sent In. Now, he is sorry there is nothing else he can do for me ( because apparently I have no idea what my Chanel Bag looked like) and he attached the picture I submitted of the wrong bag and some very, very blurry picture that was taken as soon as it arrived at the warehouse. He says the two bags are the same and the bag I have is the bag I sent in???? What reason would I have no to waste 3 months of my valuable time or life, to endure all the aggression and hundreds of emails, calls texts, to make a claim if the bag they returned to me was my own bag. I forgot to mention, when I contacted my concierge to ask for the photos they took of all my items. They got back to me and told me that they had uploaded them to The Real Real site, however when they went to retrieve them, they were in the system. Apparently there must have been a glitch and they disappeared, I asked if there was an IT department, perhaps they could retrieve the photos. I never received a response to my question.

Dennis Howell Kansas City, MO

tried to consign 25 designer items through the Real Real, all quality designers Oscar De La Renta, Bill Blass, Peggy Jennings, Ralph Lauren both Purple and Black. Everything was mailed straight from the dry cleaners. Originally all 25 items were excepted I packed everything neatly folded in white tissue and mailed them with the provided mailing slip. Then the magic happened. I received notice that they were going to return some items so I reached out to the agent that I had worked with and after conversation we agreed the best thing to do was for the company simply to return all of my items. Then items started coming back in different boxes from different locations everything was crammed in the boxes came back to me dirty and wrinkled and I continued to fight for the last six items for over a month to get some returned. It was absolute chaos trying to Communicate via text with anyone on a regular basis was impossible it was whomever was texting as a live agent that day, there was no history, no inventory list absolutely nothing! If you want to buy from these people great but don't ever, ever, ever, Connoisseur anything with them!

Alisha Philadelphia, PA

As a buyer with TRR, I’ve mostly been satisfied with my purchases. As a seller, they’ve been awful. Recently I purchased a pair of Christian Louboutins on final sale. I received the shoes, tried them on, and realized immediately they wouldn’t work for me. The fit was off and I just didn’t like them. Because they were purchased on final sale, I could not return them but I could re-consign them. I sent them back two days later after having never worn them, only tried them on, and was told the shoes would not be accepted due to “staining.” Customer service (including my local rep) have been terrible. I asked for pictures to prove that the shoes were a different quality from what I purchased. Finally, I was told authenticators would review them again. Now I’m being told the brand isn’t being accepted. But again, they sold me the shoes! Their text service is a joke and it’s been impossible to get a hold of anyone on the phone. At this point I’m just going to accept the shoes and sell them on Poshmark. Absurd! Update: Just received the shoes back in the mail. They arrived in a smashed-in box in the exact same condition as when I purchased them. There are no “interior stains” to speak of. After this and reading the other reviews, I will NEVER sell with them again.

Holly Dunlap Santa Monica, CA

If you have items that are high value or rare, AVOID The RealReal. When you send high value items to The RealReal, their staff price them as low as possible, then buy them for themselves before you can contest their price, and then resell them on websites like 1stDibs for their own profit. They have done this to me twice - the first time it was a very rare item so I was able to screenshot it and have them reimburse me (it took a full year to get reimbursed and I had to contact the CEO through mutual friends), but they have just done it to me again with three items so I am DONE with these fraudsters.

Mia Chapa Los Angeles, CA

Long story short, I sent out a brand new LV wallet purchased on April 2022. I asked my account manager for a price quote before listing the item. Not only was this not followed, but my LV wallet was also listed at $150. The picture on the site showed a yellow circle on the wallet, as if they had placed something heavy on top of it that stained the wallet. I've been trying to resolve this since 8/14/2022 and keep getting the run-around. The SMS messaging support is useless. I've talked to Jessa, Shantel, Kylie, Susy, Alaia, and now Sade. I've asked multiple times for a callback from a manager, which has been denied/ignored. I'm tired of wasting my time over this but is the lack of empathy, sense of urgency, and care for a VIP seller.

Second Hand Shopper Tilton, NH

I think I purchased about 25 things from here on the last year. Most of the clothes/shoes I receive are as listed. But there have been a few issues here and there. Recently, I received a dress that wasn’t the measurements listed on the site. I contacted customer service and was given store credit only, since it was final sale AND i was responsible for the $13 shipping. I received another dress listed as “some discoloration on the front and under the armpit”. It was littered with what appears to be tomato sauce all over the front, and lots of deodorant under the pits. I immediately returned it, and again, was responsible for the shipping cost. Other than that, ai haven’t had too many issues. I think their data entry people have a quota of items them need to post on their site, and as a result, there are descriptive errors and incorrect pictures posted. If they cleared this up, and allowed free returns, I think A LOT more people would be attracted to use them more.

Gloria Shammas New York, NY

I am writing this review about one person who works for the real real she is in customer service her name is IMANI S. She is a true professional, she was the only person who helped me solve an ongoing problem from March. If it were not for her patience, determination, and know how this never would have been solved. I am only giving her the 5 stars. Thank you again Imani.

CGP Northwood, NH

The sent back my merchandise to the wrong address. I never saw the item again. I did not receive a response. What a disappointment. I really like them, but I can’t justify dishonesty.

B Talo Ooltewah, TN

They are a scam company and I am surprised they have not been investigated and shut down. They lost an expensive piece of consignment and admitted to it and two months later I still don’t have my money. They need to be shut down! They are stealing from people. Stay away from them.

Maike Blaya FL

I felt robbed. No other word to explain my dissatisfaction. Trying to sell my 3500 purse. Expecting the initial agreement. They kept decreasing the price and offered a 70% discount without ever asking me. Funny that they took their extra 30% off after. Purse listed since February 2022. I did not receive any payment yet .

Debra O Houston, TX

When they first started it was worth selling high end items I no longer wanted. Now they keep so much I will not consign with them anymore. I got around .10 cents on the dollar for items that costs in excess of $3000 originally. Done with them.

Melanie Trewyn

I LOST money consigning with them. They used bait & switch tactics about how much I'd make. After everything was said and done I made a whole $8 for two pairs of pristine Ferragamo pumps. My time, effort, & gas would have been better spent selling my high-value items on a do-it-yourself site like Etsy. Then when I called customer service to try to get fair treatment, it sounded like they were reading off a script.

Maryann Bastnagel

If I could give zero stars, I would. Their customer service for sellers is non-existent. They conveniently “lose” items that you send them and list items inaccurately. Just try to get in touch with customer service - a complete waste of time. Frankly, you would be much better off taking your clothing and accessories to a local consignment shop or selling on your own on Poshmark or eBay.

Viktoriya Brooklyn, NY

I had a brand new Valentino dress and brought to the store to sell. I recived email from customer service that the company should appraise the dress and will get back to me with a price in a couple of weeks and if I will be satisfied with the price they will sell it. In a week I received email that my dress was sold and I will receive money even less that I have purchased. It is such a scam. And I will write complaint to a better business bureau.

Abbie Brooklyn, NY

For all consigners with The Real Real: please think twice if you care about your preloved items. My previous experience with them was not good. They sold my items 50% off without my consent. I didn’t realize it until I saw my much smaller payment one month later. Recently I decided to give them a second chance when their account manager Cristin H reached out. She promised me that it won’t happen again with my Hermes bag. On the very next day she came to my apartment to pick up the bag. Two weeks later, my bag was still in process in the warehouse and Cristin became irresponsive. I sent the requirement to their general customer service and started the bag return. They promised me that I would get my bag back in 12-15 days, which is a lie. One week later I sold my bag myself, but the deal fell apart because I couldn’t get my bag back till 3 weeks later. When I received the package, my bag was a bit deformed because they removed the bubbles that supposed to be in the bag and the angle was wrong. I also sent them the original receipt because I think it can boost for higher value. However, the receipt was gone. I reached out to Cristin H again because she agreed to the idea that original receipt would help their expert value the bag better. No response again. Then I used general customer service line, and they told me the internal team will email me 7-10 days later. I will never trust them again. Horrible company.

Neil Decosmis Cliffside Park, NJ

I warn all of you do not consign with this company. They have stolen my merchandise will not return 5 very high end pieces. trying to get a touch with anyone is ridiculous No one ever returns your emails no 1 ever returns your calls. supervisors are the worst they do absolutely nothing. This company sent me Someone else's expensive Louis Vuitton bag That's how messed up this company is they are not getting that back they stole my merchandise I'm keeping their merchandise I just feel really bad for the person who owns this bag . they are going through the same thing I'm going through. Please please read all the reviews they are horrible reviews that company has gone corporate the owner sold the company. Today I'm going to the police department to file charges against my consigner who came to my home to pick up this merchandise I have no choice. Over $3000 they owe me. So please beware of this company do not consign with them.

Noreen Z Hollister, CA

As a new seller on The RealReal, I'm completely dissatisfied with the entire experience. The representative I was assigned set up a Zoom meeting, then asked if I wanted to do a call instead, which I agreed. I was requested take photos and submit prior to the call. The call never came. Instead, it was all via text messages. Not much conversation or explaining. I sent the items and was shocked at the low appraisals. I compared my items to same items on their site, and the pricing is all over the place. I sold items I would say were in very good condition (barely used) at the least, were appraised as 'fair' by TRR. I sold 7 items, (Gucci, Channel, Furla, Donald Pliner, Michael Kors), I received $187 in commission. I was quoted 55% commission. That didn't happen. The buyer discount codes (20%) were not explained. I should have questioned the appraisals. I should have read the fine print. I should have done more research on them. Sometimes the best lesson is experience, which is the case here.

Front Squats and French Bulldogs Fort Lauderdale, FL

After watching a video of a fellow reseller talking about sending in items to The Real Real, I decided to have them take about 40 pieces of 90's vintage designer items that I had for sale on Poshmark for over a year with little action. They had a girl (yes, she was younger than the pieces she picked up) come by and go through the items and send them off to be authenticated and put on line for sale. She said I would be able to see everything prior to each item going live in case I wanted the item back or ask for a price change. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I did get a few emails about the process and where my clothes were in the process of being photographed an listed. THEN, I get an email saying I SOLD my first item. What?? Not only was the item mis-labeled as to the designer, it was sold for $80. These were JPG $1,500 steampunk sunglasses. I am so upset and was scammed. They listed the glasses under a designer that doesn't even make sunglasses! If you take what they listed and "google" it, the results are JPG sunglasses. They sold within minutes of going online. Keep in mind I NEVER got an email stating that they were listed NOR, did I have the opportunity to tell them of their mistake. Keep in mind these sunglasses have Jean Paul Gaultier on them with the style#. AUTHENTICATORS??? Really? I smell a scam. I have only been able to "chat" with customer service and they have put my closet on "review" until I hear from someone. I also asked them to send many of my items back as they had them listed for LOWBALL numbers and the commission is horrible, the most that I had offered to me was 55% until it hit a certain sale #. (i.e. Judith Leiber purse (rare) for $395 when it should have been listed for over $1,800. AND on top of all of that they have LOST 2 pieces of David Yurman jewelry. I have an inventory list from the consultant that picked up all of my items THANK GOD, so I can prove that she took them, they say she never turned them into the warehouse. DO NOT TRUST THEM. Needless to say, I am so upset and disappointed that this company is NOT who they say they are. I hope that I can get this resolved and get the money I am due. I WILL WARN EVERYONE, YOU ARE BETTER OFF SELLING YOUR ITEMS ON POSHMARK/EBAY AND STAY AWAY FROM THE REAL REAL, THEY ARE BAD BAD!

Maria New York, NY

I sent a very commercial item for sale, which arrived on June 26th. It took them 2 months to list it, despite me chasing every week. Every representative lied to me and gave me different time frames and excuses as to why it was not listed. Once it was listed, it was incorrect. Wrong model, wrong description, wrong size. I reached out to have this changed, it's now been 4 days and they refused to do it. Instead, they hang up on me or close out the chats. DO NOT SELL WITH THE REALREAL. It is the absolutely worst experience I have had and their commissions are insane. These would make sense would their service be up to par. Which is 10000% not.

finny binny Fullerton, CA

I have been shopping on TRR site for a few years and recently sold some items with them. First, I was excited to purchase designer items at a fraction of the price and condition description for the most part matched the item received. As of late though, sizes have been incorrect, condition listing incorrect, fake items (Prada shoes) received and returns invoices that would take a CPA to figure out. It was for less than $50 so I let it go but it nagged at me and left me wondering if there's accounting shenanigans?? It certainly felt amateur and it appeared their service was going downhill. Then I sent in items for consignment and they rejected 40%, with some of the brands rejected for sale on their site?? Finally, returned a bunch of items where my AMEX debit doesn't match the credit by $100 (in their favor of course) and I was billed twice for $12.95 shipping although all items were in one box with 3 RMA's (which they said is OK to do). After reading all these negative reviews, I am now reluctant to buy or sell from/with them. Very disappointing as I thought they had a good thing going, but their accounting is WAY off and I don't feel like losing any more money with them. It all adds up!

cynthia alford Sacramento, CA

I have purchased several things, some shoes and a handbag. I was pleased with 2 of my purchases and felt I received a good price. The problem came when I received boots that were listed as size 36 but when I received were size 36.5. Too big for me. I was told that it was final sale and I could only resell them. After speaking with several customers service reps they finally allowed a return. The second concern was the same issue but the shoes I received were dirty and so stretched out that they appeared to be a size and a half too big. I immediately tried to reach customer service through the chat feature. They ask you to wait for a customer rep to reach out to you. Which can take up to 10 minutes. Unfortunately, I missed the rep twice. By the third time I finally spoke with someone who told me it was too late for a return. With pushing they agreed to a return for store credit. I immediately returned the shoes but in the end they only issued 1/3 credit of what I paid for the shoes. This is the last time I will purchase anything from the Real Real. Their quality control and return policy is terrible. It is definitely not customer service friendly.

Ana Luisa Yanes New York, NY

If you a value item that you are looking to sell at a good price cause you never use or dont use anymore -run from this place. The real real unlike other consignment stores doesn’t buy the product for you to resell in their stores, they basically take your product for free and then decide to sell it at whatever price they want and take about 50% of more commission, and the price depends on whatever they feel like -they might do sales and sell your product at 80% discount without you even knowing. I started by selling a purse and a coat. The purse was fairly old collection and used but in good condition so I wasn't expecting much, however my coat was a very classic and timeless coat that I purchased for around $1200 about 4 years ago. I noticed I was never using it -might have worn it 2 or 3 times so I decided to sell it. When I dropped the jacket I was told they would put it for sale for around $850 approx but they needed to authenticate etc first, when it finally was authenticated (they can take up to a month) they listed it for $845, it was in the market for about 1.5 month when they decided to have a sale and sold it at 70% discount and kept 55% commission, meaning I got about $100 for my $1200 jacket that I wore 2 times. I was never told the jacket would go on sale and for that price I would’ve taken it somewhere else, kept it or even give to a friend. No one in the company will explain the details to you or the process, feels very much like a scam.

Judith Alberty Las Vegas, NV

I consigned six items in my first shipment to them. Three sold and I received my commission on a timely basis. Another item sold and was returned. I recently sent them 9 more items and they acknowledged receipt. The items are beautifully photographed and (sort of) accurately described that I can tell. My experience so far is that their descriptions are iffy. I sent them a brand new pair of Prada sunglasses with case. They said there were scratches? A Hermes scarf I sent that was still folded in its box is described as a shawl and priced very high at $895. It's a scarf, not a shawl. I've asked to have this changed. No response. They take way too long to upload items online. The first shipment took a month. The second shipment went from Las Vegas to New Jersey which makes no sense to me. I see no reason listings should take 2,3 or 4 weeks. Yesterday, I called customer service. The first person who answered was talking so fast I couldn't understand what she was saying. I must have said wait, stop, hold on, slow down a dozen times before she hung up on me. I called back, and someone answered, I got out one sentence and got put back on hold. Their auto-message says a wait of less than ten minutes even when you've been on hold for 15. I finally hung up, texted one of their reps and she didn't get back to me either. I will see how this second shipment goes. I have some other items to send to them but will wait and research other selling sites. I don't want to bother photographing, uploading and shipping myself so don't want to use Poshmark.

Anne Collins Scottsdale, AZ

I have purchased numerous things from The Real Real and never been disappointed. I look at the item I want thoroughly and read all the descriptive information. I have never received anything that was the least bit worn or shoddy in any way. I have purchased several things at a fraction of the original cost that were literally never worn. I have not had the same experience from other online consignment sites. I know that whenever I order something from The Real Real that the item will arrive in a timely manner and be "like new". I have also returned a few things due to sizing issues and never had a problem with that part of the site either. I have also sold many things on this site and had a great experience with their pricing of my items and received my checks for sold items when they are promised. This site is a legitimate place for purchasing items significantly lower than purchasing new and I always feel as though I have really gotten a deal! In addition, each item is wrapped in tissue and most things arrive in a drawstring bag. Good psychology in sending things as though they are new! This is my "go to" site when I am looking for anything before deciding to buy new.

Danae Fanti Mamaroneck, NY

Absolutely horrible service. It’s been two months of me trying to get my commission check and they keep saying a check is in the mail. Fast forward, approaching three months now and still no check. I have deferred to my lawyer now to get my money that’s owed to me. Bad business!!!! Be weary when using this service

wendy Zhou Greenwich, CT

I purchased a dress which is advertised as Size Small, but when I received it, I found it is size M. Too big for me. They said they will call me back, but they never did. By the third time I finally spoke with someone who told me it was too late for a return. The customer service person named patrick was very rude and he said it is my own fault and he just hung up on me. this is the last time I will purchase anything from the Real Real. Their quality control and return policy is terrible. It is definitely not customer service friendly.

Nilsa Washington, DC

Customer service is on the decline with this company. They do have some decent deals. However, please know that the returns on your consignment and the rating of your items are suspect. I have been very disappointing in the payouts for items. In addition, I am dealing with an issue where I returned a ring and they accused me of sending them an empty box. Absolutely furious. So, I am out of $300. Believe the reviews folks.

Adam Jenkins Miami, FL

Went to the store and physically handed in my rare Nike's. Got sent a "reference code". The Nike's got sold quickly. 3 weeks later not only have I not been paid, they're saying the reference code they gave me and my address don't match up, therefore they can't pay me, and guess how they're telling me, on the email chain that has the reference code. When I keep pointing that out, they keep asking for 10 business days to 'review'. Scam.

erin naimi Los Angeles, CA

I reached out to The Real Real to consolidate 1 item with them back in June. They were initially very responsive and followed up quickly. We had a zoom session, they explained the process, send a representative to pick up my handbag and that is the last I heard from them or saw my handbag! I have since followed up via txt and phone call 4 times- they always promise to follow up and "escalate the case" since they have no idea where my handbag is now- but I have yet to get an answer, compensation, or my bag. I am incredibly disappointed and wonder if this has happened to anyone else??