The RealReal Logo

The RealReal

LAST UPDATED: August 15th, 2022

The RealReal online clothing consignment store has taken a unique approach to shopping. Unlike other online consignment stores, the company only offer s high-end consignment. According to its website, it is the leader in authenticated luxury consignment. Started and based in San Francisco, California in March of 2011, this company is growing rapidly into a hot spot for luxury goods and shopping at discount prices. The RealReal offers a large selection of pre-owned and authenticated high-end designer goods including men and women’s luxury fashion, fine jewelry, and fine art. They sell pieces from designers such as Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Rolex, as well as art from artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, along with hundreds of others you can find listed on their website. They offer good benefits for consigners of their products and have countless promotions for shoppers and opportunities to have memberships receiving many more benefits. Even up to 90% retail prices.

The Good

• Wide Variety of Product Selection
  • Numerous Promotions and Sales on Luxury Items
  • Membership and Consigner Privileges

This online consignment company provides its customers with many benefits for both shopping and selling products through their website. The RealReal has a large selection of pre-owned items for luxury resale. They sell men's fashion and women's merchandise as well as art pieces from well-known artists. Their products range from accessories, dresses, jewelry, handbags, shoes, ties, suits, outerwear and many more. Along with the many luxury designer clothes and fashion items sold, fine art is also sold through consigners. Each item sold goes through an authenticity process where it is evaluated by an in-house team of experts in each respective field. They have professionals on staff including gemologists, horologists, and art appraisers to ensure that luxury goods sold are authentic.

First views of The RealReal's website show promotions and sales that are easily accessible for the consumer. These promotions are constantly changing and the website gives you clearly marked start and end times for each sale. It is also clearly shown whether or not an item has already been sold or if it is still available. The website has colorful, interactive graphics that catch shoppers attention and make the buying experience both easier and more enjoyable.

Consigners with The RealReal are offered sixty percent of the sale price from the very first time their items are brought to the online store. They can then increase their profits by selling more merchandise, once they reach 7,500 in annual sales their earnings are increased to seventy percent. This company also offers a "white glove" pick up service in most cities. The service is used when a consigner has more than ten designer items and a Luxury Manager will be sent to pick-up the items at no cost. The RealReal also offers benefits for shoppers who join their First Look Membership. This program is only five dollars a month and entitles members to 24-hour advance access to sales and special invitations to monthly promotions.

The Bad

• High Price-tag for Pre-owned Merchandise
  • Complicated Shipping and Handling Procedure
  • Difficult Return Process

Like many stores, The RealReal is far from perfect. Although selling pre-owned luxury items keeps the business unique from other online consignment shops, it also creates many of its complications. The company has a difficult time producing pleasing customer reviews. Some of the main concerns for The RealReal are: While items with small price tags do exist on The RealReal, they are few and far between. Most of the merchandise sold on the website comes from famous fashion designers and artists and has a price tag to match its origination. Even though the products are pre-owned, they often sell like new. Although there are many sales on the clothing items, and customers are given plenty of opportunities to buy luxury, high-end items at discounted prices, the overall price tag of merchandise on The RealReal is costly.

The Shipping and Handling procedure on The RealReal's website is anything but user-friendly. They do not offer free shipping on any limit of merchandise and will not deliver to P.O. boxes, APO/FPO address, and most of the U.S. Territories. There is also a fee charged to deliver in some areas including Hawaii and Alaska. They ship via FedEx from warehouses in the NY tri-state area and travel to street addresses only in the United States and some international locations. Many of the problems or concerns customers have with shipping and handling can be easily discussed with the company's customer service team. They are easily accessible through their website or by phone number.

Along with the difficulty of shipping and handling, the return process at The RealReal is not simple. In order to return an item purchased on the website, a return merchandise authorization number must be requested within fourteen days of the shipment date. The customer must then after receiving their authorization number, return the purchase within twenty-one days of the shipment date. The customer is also responsible for all shipping costs of the return. The RealReal then asks customers to allow them a minimum of ten days to process the return item before a refund is given. Additionally, the company will never accept swimwear or sale items for return. The RealReal reviews have taken a negative hit as a result of these difficult processes.

The Bottom Line

With a unique approach to shopping by selling pre-owned high-end luxury items, The RealReal has created an online niche that appeals to many consumers interested in designer clothes. The easy to use website has made customers enjoy purchasing materials cheaper than retail prices through numerous sales and promotions. The RealReal has given consigners an easy way to sell their luxury merchandise and earn additional profit by offering sixty to seventy percent of the sale price. They have a wide variety of product selection that is offered for both women's and men's fashion and provide customers with benefits by joining their shopping program.

However, this does not mean this company is without faults. Shipping and handling can be challenging for both the consigner and the purchaser and returns from the website are difficult to follow through. The merchandise is also high priced for pre-owned items. The RealReal has been in business a short four years and has rapidly grown into the leader of authenticated luxury consignment. The company has things to work on and in the future could be a perfect destination for luxury merchandise.

1.5

May S Cleveland, OH

I have been selling with The Real Real For over a year now and was happy with their service. They give a fair pricing for both buyer and seller. Of course the clothing isn’t that high since it is worn. I know the are really specific about the stuff they accept. They solved a lot of issues for me. I would not sell anywhere else. Wish they had a lower brand division they would accept cause the really make it easy you do t have to deal with anything and they pay on time.

Second Hand Shopper Tilton, NH

I think I purchased about 25 things from here on the last year. Most of the clothes/shoes I receive are as listed. But there have been a few issues here and there. Recently, I received a dress that wasn’t the measurements listed on the site. I contacted customer service and was given store credit only, since it was final sale AND i was responsible for the $13 shipping. I received another dress listed as “some discoloration on the front and under the armpit”. It was littered with what appears to be tomato sauce all over the front, and lots of deodorant under the pits. I immediately returned it, and again, was responsible for the shipping cost. Other than that, ai haven’t had too many issues. I think their data entry people have a quota of items them need to post on their site, and as a result, there are descriptive errors and incorrect pictures posted. If they cleared this up, and allowed free returns, I think A LOT more people would be attracted to use them more.

Front Squats and French Bulldogs Fort Lauderdale, FL

After watching a video of a fellow reseller talking about sending in items to The Real Real, I decided to have them take about 40 pieces of 90's vintage designer items that I had for sale on Poshmark for over a year with little action. They had a girl (yes, she was younger than the pieces she picked up) come by and go through the items and send them off to be authenticated and put on line for sale. She said I would be able to see everything prior to each item going live in case I wanted the item back or ask for a price change. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I did get a few emails about the process and where my clothes were in the process of being photographed an listed. THEN, I get an email saying I SOLD my first item. What?? Not only was the item mis-labeled as to the designer, it was sold for $80. These were JPG $1,500 steampunk sunglasses. I am so upset and was scammed. They listed the glasses under a designer that doesn't even make sunglasses! If you take what they listed and "google" it, the results are JPG sunglasses. They sold within minutes of going online. Keep in mind I NEVER got an email stating that they were listed NOR, did I have the opportunity to tell them of their mistake. Keep in mind these sunglasses have Jean Paul Gaultier on them with the style#. AUTHENTICATORS??? Really? I smell a scam. I have only been able to "chat" with customer service and they have put my closet on "review" until I hear from someone. I also asked them to send many of my items back as they had them listed for LOWBALL numbers and the commission is horrible, the most that I had offered to me was 55% until it hit a certain sale #. (i.e. Judith Leiber purse (rare) for $395 when it should have been listed for over $1,800. AND on top of all of that they have LOST 2 pieces of David Yurman jewelry. I have an inventory list from the consultant that picked up all of my items THANK GOD, so I can prove that she took them, they say she never turned them into the warehouse. DO NOT TRUST THEM. Needless to say, I am so upset and disappointed that this company is NOT who they say they are. I hope that I can get this resolved and get the money I am due. I WILL WARN EVERYONE, YOU ARE BETTER OFF SELLING YOUR ITEMS ON POSHMARK/EBAY AND STAY AWAY FROM THE REAL REAL, THEY ARE BAD BAD!

19 hours ago

Maria New York, NY

I sent a very commercial item for sale, which arrived on June 26th. It took them 2 months to list it, despite me chasing every week. Every representative lied to me and gave me different time frames and excuses as to why it was not listed. Once it was listed, it was incorrect. Wrong model, wrong description, wrong size. I reached out to have this changed, it's now been 4 days and they refused to do it. Instead, they hang up on me or close out the chats. DO NOT SELL WITH THE REALREAL. It is the absolutely worst experience I have had and their commissions are insane. These would make sense would their service be up to par. Which is 10000% not.

finny binny Fullerton, CA

I have been shopping on TRR site for a few years and recently sold some items with them. First, I was excited to purchase designer items at a fraction of the price and condition description for the most part matched the item received. As of late though, sizes have been incorrect, condition listing incorrect, fake items (Prada shoes) received and returns invoices that would take a CPA to figure out. It was for less than $50 so I let it go but it nagged at me and left me wondering if there's accounting shenanigans?? It certainly felt amateur and it appeared their service was going downhill. Then I sent in items for consignment and they rejected 40%, with some of the brands rejected for sale on their site?? Finally, returned a bunch of items where my AMEX debit doesn't match the credit by $100 (in their favor of course) and I was billed twice for $12.95 shipping although all items were in one box with 3 RMA's (which they said is OK to do). After reading all these negative reviews, I am now reluctant to buy or sell from/with them. Very disappointing as I thought they had a good thing going, but their accounting is WAY off and I don't feel like losing any more money with them. It all adds up!

Deeh Mississauga, ON

Paid $210 (plus $66 in duties) for a dress that would have been sold for $260 when it was new 3 years ago. Item was described as “pristine” condition, with tags. Arrived with a tie/strap completely ripped off one side of the back. This was definitely not noted, and definitely not indicative of “pristine” condition. Customer service offered a $12 store credit. Total joke. Similar dresses of the brand, on the site, listed for $100-$150.

Peter Carlson Carlisle, PA

I've made a total of 19 purchases from TheRealReal in the past six months, and the first 18 all went well. I knew what I was buying, and I got what I expected. But the last item I purchased was problematic - the item I received didn't match the item I ordered. Apparently there was an error in the listing photo. I made a total of SIX phone calls to straighten this out. The first person (not a native English speaker) couldn't seem to understand the issue, the second simply hung up on me, the third understood the issue, agreed to the return but charged me return postage, and it just went on like this. I'll probably have to go through PayPal to resolve this. So bottom line? Nice stuff, but it's a real crap shoot. If ANYTHING goes wrong, you're on your own, and I'm just not confident doing business this way.

cynthia alford Sacramento, CA

I have purchased several things, some shoes and a handbag. I was pleased with 2 of my purchases and felt I received a good price. The problem came when I received boots that were listed as size 36 but when I received were size 36.5. Too big for me. I was told that it was final sale and I could only resell them. After speaking with several customers service reps they finally allowed a return. The second concern was the same issue but the shoes I received were dirty and so stretched out that they appeared to be a size and a half too big. I immediately tried to reach customer service through the chat feature. They ask you to wait for a customer rep to reach out to you. Which can take up to 10 minutes. Unfortunately, I missed the rep twice. By the third time I finally spoke with someone who told me it was too late for a return. With pushing they agreed to a return for store credit. I immediately returned the shoes but in the end they only issued 1/3 credit of what I paid for the shoes. This is the last time I will purchase anything from the Real Real. Their quality control and return policy is terrible. It is definitely not customer service friendly.

Ana Luisa Yanes New York, NY

If you a value item that you are looking to sell at a good price cause you never use or dont use anymore -run from this place. The real real unlike other consignment stores doesn’t buy the product for you to resell in their stores, they basically take your product for free and then decide to sell it at whatever price they want and take about 50% of more commission, and the price depends on whatever they feel like -they might do sales and sell your product at 80% discount without you even knowing. I started by selling a purse and a coat. The purse was fairly old collection and used but in good condition so I wasn't expecting much, however my coat was a very classic and timeless coat that I purchased for around $1200 about 4 years ago. I noticed I was never using it -might have worn it 2 or 3 times so I decided to sell it. When I dropped the jacket I was told they would put it for sale for around $850 approx but they needed to authenticate etc first, when it finally was authenticated (they can take up to a month) they listed it for $845, it was in the market for about 1.5 month when they decided to have a sale and sold it at 70% discount and kept 55% commission, meaning I got about $100 for my $1200 jacket that I wore 2 times. I was never told the jacket would go on sale and for that price I would’ve taken it somewhere else, kept it or even give to a friend. No one in the company will explain the details to you or the process, feels very much like a scam.

Gloria Shammas New York, NY

I am writing this review about one person who works for the real real she is in customer service her name is IMANI S. She is a true professional, she was the only person who helped me solve an ongoing problem from March. If it were not for her patience, determination, and know how this never would have been solved. I am only giving her the 5 stars. Thank you again Imani.

Treasa Mclane Kamas, UT

Well, I just read all these terrible reviews! I called TRR 2 days ago about selling my fine expensive jewelry. Stacy set me up with a zoom appointment today, Friday with a zoom meeting at 12. Before the appointment she had me send in photos so they could be reviewed before the meeting. So, I went to my safety deposit box, got all my jewelry, bought an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned the items, messing around with my camera to try for good pics. Then I downloaded them and sent 4 emails with all the photos last night. It's now 12:30 and I haven't heard from anyone. No email, no phone call. What a way to run a business guys.!!!! So no stars for this iffy business. Tressa McLane, Park City Utah. 7/22/22

M Edmonton, AB

I bought a sweater that was described as ‘excellent’ condition. What I found upon inspection: At least 2 stains, a small hole at the front center, extensive pilling so it looked like worn out trash. This sweater was kind of expensive and a total rip off. Clearly their quality control, inspection process is a joke. I was told it was returnable, and that a return label was being issued, but that turns out to be untrue. No, I do not recommend buying from them. There are no reviews posted for sellers like other sites so really don’t know who you can trust. There seems to be absolutely no repercussions for dishonest sellers so why bother when you might get a piece of garbage. What a complete waste of time and money this was.

Ellie Canby, OR

Consignor Beware of The Real Real - Do NOT Trust Them I hope I can save future consignors some hassle and disappointment. I contacted The Real Real and inquired about consigning 4 designer bags and 17 rings. I sent photos and was given quotes regarding the listing prices. I was happy with their quotes and sent all of the items. They sent 4 back because they didn’t meet their criteria which is fine. I received an email that two of my items had sold. I was very happy until I checked and my Burberry bag which was going to be listed between $595-$695 was actually listed for $165.00. I was furious. I complained and backed it up with photographic proof of what they had quoted. They did make it right and agreed to pay me commission on the $595. Then I asked to see what my jewelry items would be listed for prior to them going live on the website. They said that wasn’t their policy. Since I no longer trusted them I requested that they return everything to me. Keep in mind I am asking them to return 15 rings. They could easily all fit into one small box. BUT NO! I kid you not, I received 15 separate boxes sent via UPS all of which required a signature. That is 15 days of having to make sure that someone was at home to sign for them. It has taken almost 2 months to get everything returned. RIDICULOUS! I will NEVER do business with them again!

Kathy H Feasterville-Trevose, PA

I purchased an item as a gift, received it Friday, gave the gift over the weekend. She did not like it and I contacted them on Monday. They said it is a Final Sale and can not be returned. I checked the return policy before I purchased and I kept the tag attached that says "non-returnable if tag removed." They refused the return and I am forced to go through my credit card to cancel the purchase. None of the information says that it is non-returnable and there is a tag on it saying only non-returnable if the tag is removed!!! this site is a scam. Poor business practice. Will never use this site again and will make sure noone I know does either.

s karasch Oswego, IL

Purchased a dirty, filthy Chanel handbag for $2000. Apparently they DO NOT wipe down or clean anything before they send it out. With COVID spreading like crazy you’d think they’d care a little more about their customers. Spent hours making my Chanel tote something I’d actually put my belongings in! Gross! Also, you pay for shipping, NO RETURNS on handbags even if they are not as advertised. Also, don’t expect more then your dirty item thrown into a box and shipped. Zero bubble wrap, tissue or anything else!

Kowalski Edwards, CO

FRAUD! Lorrie my Denver based sales rep accepted all my items and brands via Zoom Call. Once the items were received by TRR they "don't accept" many brands that are actually all over TRR being sold. My items were in transit back to me for MONTHS! Then they were "lost by UPS" My shipping address was correct and I receive UPS to my home weekly. This is VERY suspicious. Lorrie was " creating a ticket" for over a month. DO not work with this company. They over promise and under deliver. Awful.

Brooke West Palm Beach, FL

The absolute worst experience. I ordered a dress for an event and the dress I received was not the one I ordered. If that was not enough stress, I spent 2 hrs texting with their customer service because you cant ever get anyone on the phone. They finally sent a return label for me to return the incorrect dress and now after 3 weeks of me contacting customer service, they have still not found the dress I ordered. No one ever reached out for an apology or to give any explanation. I asked for a refund and they would only give me a partial refund and partial store credit. I will NEVER order from them again.

Zach Miller-Frankel Chevy Chase, MD

The company provides access to labels that many people (like me) could otherwise not afford, and they do have great deals from time to time. However, they have several less-than-honest downsides that, in my mind, make them not worth dealing with. First, they charge $12.95 shipping no matter the amount you spend. Any discounts you receive are taken off the original price first, rather than the sale price, so you don't actually wind up getting the percentage off that is advertised. Further, their measurement system is not standardized, and left up to individual representatives who frequently mis-measure or mis-size items. When this happens and you have to return the items, even if it is due to their error, they will deduct $12.95 from the return and getting it back requires talking to an agent and filing a claim. I'd stick to local consignment shops or go to store outlets--they usually have great sales for new items anyway. I won't be shopping with TheRealReal again.

Bryon Hudson Lincoln City, OR

Between my wife and I we have spent a little over $10K on TRR site. I love the jewelry they have and they have some good deals… That’s where it ends. They overcharge for shipping and don’t give any shipping options, it’s UPS only and we have issues after issue with shipping. There is more often than not some problem. It seems that TRR is profiting nicely from UPS while the customer suffers. I’ve asked many times for change but nothing. I am looking forward to finding another site that will offer the same but with better customer service.

Praveen Chakravarthy Richmond, BC

This is a wonderful fake and scamming website.Please don’t buy anything on this website or app. The products are not original and certificates are fake. They don’t refund your money but keep on lying with fake emails and receipts. I’m from canada, I have purchased a watch and returned it same day when I heard it’s a fake website. I didn’t receive my refund yet and they sent me fake emails with fake refund receipts. I contacted my bank and reported the issue. Currently investigation is going on and hopefully these scammers are sued for fraud. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS WEBSITE AND THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FRAUD AND LOOTING MONEY.

Madalina Tudor Dublin, CA

As a loyal customer who's been shopping and consigning with TRR for years, I cannot put into words how upset and downright scammed I feel over their business practices. After disagreeing with them re: the prices for the items in my last consignment, I requested that they send me back everything. Yes, the other reviewers are 100% on point: their new pricing tiering makes no sense, you're better selling things on other platforms. They very slowly started sipping things back, however they used an old address that I no longer live at. Even though my correct shipping address is listed on my profile and has been for the past year. It all went downhill from that point. There is no Customer Support anymore. I tried calling them - they HUNG UP on my 4 times. I tried using their chat (online and via phone). Nobody replied via text massaging, but I managed to speak to a real person via chat. They assured me they contacted the shipping carrier and my address was updated. THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. Packages were delivered incorrectly, and even though I tried to contact OnTrac they told me to speak to the vendor. And let's not mention emailing TRR - no reply either. How is this possible? How does a company STEAL from their consigners and then REFUSE to even answer the phone? How are they still in business when they cannot be bothered to ship to the correct address? They take no accountability and offer ZERO customer support. What's worse is because this is a consignment, I cannot contact my credit card company, because it's not a purchase. Basically, the TRR stole from me and now they don't answer their phone. Consign and buy at your own risk!!!

KNAR SANOSSIAN-GAVIN St. George, UT

I will begin by saying that I fully support resale for environmental reasons. However, I am very disappointed and upset to have received another item DAMAGED BY TRR STUPIDLY PLACED SECURITY TAG. I wonder if this is intentional or simply stupidity. This is another example of why I will not consign with TRR again-I cannot trust TRR to not damage items by carelessly punching holes through items to attach their security tag which could easily be placed through the brand tag without damaging items. The consigner has now lost a sale due to TRR negligence. This is really awful. This is clearly a huge TRR problem because I have now lost count of how many items TRR has ruined with their carelessly placed TRR tags punched through items' fabric instead of through the sturdy brand tags. It is so irresponsible and wasteful, and I wish I knew who consigned the items I am returning today due to this ongoing problem because the consigner of these items is going to suffer a loss due to TRR irresponsibility and the consigner will never know why their items did not sell. Additionally, when I write to TRR to address this problem, they simply say "return it with the RMA attached" to their email. It's a shame and I am going to shop elsewhere.

Olena Kirzhner Los Angeles, CA

I have been a consigner and a buyer for a few years. The customer service wasn’t always perfect but at least it was doing the main thing- processing consigned items, processing returns. No issues. Until recently. 1) during one of my consignments they didn’t acknowledge the new Prada sandals I sent- it just didn’t appear on their list 2) sent some returns recently and some of the items were not acknowledged as received and hence not refunded. I spent hours over the past few weeks trying to get help from customer service but with no success. I understand there may be errors in any process where humans are involved but it’s not okay that I am the one who’s paying for the stuff shortcomings . I am deleting my account and won’t work with them in future

Jose Lopez Miami, FL

They are holding my comisión, they want a proof of who I’m , I connect my bank account with the steps that they were asking me to do it and is connected already but not payment went trough, I spoke many time whit CS and nothing , I decide by Check and I can Find the way to do it , also ask the CS to verify is I did the right numbers and nothing , they CS and willing to finish the conversation to send a text to comment about their job . Everything is by text which I have not problem by take hours the answer.

Judith Alberty Las Vegas, NV

I consigned six items in my first shipment to them. Three sold and I received my commission on a timely basis. Another item sold and was returned. I recently sent them 9 more items and they acknowledged receipt. The items are beautifully photographed and (sort of) accurately described that I can tell. My experience so far is that their descriptions are iffy. I sent them a brand new pair of Prada sunglasses with case. They said there were scratches? A Hermes scarf I sent that was still folded in its box is described as a shawl and priced very high at $895. It's a scarf, not a shawl. I've asked to have this changed. No response. They take way too long to upload items online. The first shipment took a month. The second shipment went from Las Vegas to New Jersey which makes no sense to me. I see no reason listings should take 2,3 or 4 weeks. Yesterday, I called customer service. The first person who answered was talking so fast I couldn't understand what she was saying. I must have said wait, stop, hold on, slow down a dozen times before she hung up on me. I called back, and someone answered, I got out one sentence and got put back on hold. Their auto-message says a wait of less than ten minutes even when you've been on hold for 15. I finally hung up, texted one of their reps and she didn't get back to me either. I will see how this second shipment goes. I have some other items to send to them but will wait and research other selling sites. I don't want to bother photographing, uploading and shipping myself so don't want to use Poshmark.

Vintage fan Godalming, SRY

I have given two stars because there was a huge import tax in the U.K. to pay that was unexpected. This was the second unexpected additional cost as tax was added following my card details - both these ‘taxes’ doubled the price of the dress purchased. Buyers beware.

Virginia Payne Nashville, TN

I am a consigner and a buyer at TRR. Their customer service is awful - the worst of any online company I've experienced. If you get a reply, which is always late, 100% of the time, it doesn't address the concern until you repeatedly insist that they send you something other than a generic message on some related topic - not your issue. They are super slow to respond and rarely rectify an issue. This is true whether you are a buyer or seller.

C.C. Taylor Covington, KY

have been a long time, major consignor and customer with The Real Real and find that this company as of late is solely out for their bottom line and not the end customer nor consignor. Additionally, several of their employees tend toward condescending and generally rude behavior, forgetting that their top clients must be treated respectfully as they're the crux of the business. Disappointing to also note, TRR employees are asked to put their preferred pronouns in all email signatures. And, pride propaganda is plastered all over their website particularly this month. TRR needs to understand that it's a bad look to engage politically or promote its sexual beliefs. What place does this minority opinion have in fashion? Am confused.

Kristin Richard Peek Baton Rouge, LA

I bought a $5000 handbag. The packaging was awful. Not fully taped up. When I opened the box, the Chanel handbag was “floating” around on a cheap dust bag with no paper or bible wrap to protect from rubbing on the interior of the box. The bag itself was crumpled up with no stuffing. This is a big no-no in the luxury bag world. The bag itself should have made a wonderful impression, but instead it was kind of sad looking. I am hoping that stuffing it with bubble wrap will bring back some structure. No returns. Very disappointed and would not buy from The RealReal again.

Kerri

I should’ve conducted my own due diligence before securing my order with The RealReal. Why would The RealReal, an e-commerce website ever unnecessarily list details about the extra fees to be incurred by their customer? I mean, it’d make people think twice before committing to their purchase. Right??? It’s far more business savvy not to provide these sort of details and make the customer pay them as a surprise ending. Right? Better yet, get a 3rd party to hold the customers package ransom until they pay a 25% uplift fee! Not to mention the cumulative amount of time spent when you consider each and every single non American to do their own due diligence to attain the details on extra fees( in this case it’s percentage range of COD for their country) versus the time spent by The RealReal to conduct ONE search to attain the range for the countries that they sell to. Anyway, yesterday being the 27th of May 2023, I paid the extra, surprise fee of $293.81 just like The RealReal intended as above. Right?? I find that the Giorgio Armani bag is a knock off and I question the quality of Sandro purse and J Brand Jeans. To make matters worse, due to a timing limitation within the return policy clearly listed on The RealReals website, I’m unable to return the items. WTF.

Pauline Bejjani Rome, NY

If I can give this company -0 this is what they deserve I have a lady coming to my house no sense of luxury she doesn’t give the price on spot and no follow up at all plus she never mentioned that there is a 20% on shoes or clothing I find out after they list the items basically they told you you are getting 60% but in fact you are getting 40 % they are not honest at all they care to get the items and sell them with a low low price my items were never used in tag terrible terrible to consign with this company never again no follow up and the price they sell the items is peanuts I don’t recommend the real real

Klara V New York, NY

I have been a consigner for several years. The company is getting worst. 1. Ridiculously low prices High end designer merchandise priced at dirt low prices. Brand new, with tags never worn, most of the skirts are priced bellow $100 regardless of what it is. A runway piece should not be price the same as a brand no one ever heard of. 2. Description, condition incorrect incorrect sizes published, incorrect measurements, incorrect condition, instead of pristine, tags attached never worn, they publish good, no mention of tags. This is not good for either buyers or consigners. Takes forever to correct. 3. It takes FOREVER to get items listed. This includes pictures, pricing, pricing review if ridiculously low. I have been waiting 7 -9 weeks, still not listed. Still incorrect condition and price too low. 4. Each time you call, you speak to a different person. Consigner associates are supposed to contact you by e mail to follow up. Most of the time they do not. You ha to call and hear the same story, no follow up. I spent 50 minutes several times on the phone still no result. 5. Impossible to get a supervisor. NEVER available when you call. You are supposed to get a call back within 24-48 hours. No one EVER calls you back. 6. Pricing is a joke. Supposedly these are “experts”. I have heard this repeatedly. They are anything but. They are not familiar with the brands at all. Not surprising, since they have it looks like thousands of brands. They should reduce the brands and get familiar with what they are selling. They have a lot of junk that will never sell. 7. Now I am hearing from customer service that they do not have enough employees and they are growing. You have to manage the size you have now before growing. Supposedly it takes 3-4 weeks to list the items. Not true. Many time you have to call that after 8 weeks there are still no pictures taken… 8. TRR is good for buyers, less good for consigners. To be a consigner is like having a full time job if you want to sell for a reasonable price. Each time I fought to have the price increased, the item sold at the higher price. It looks like TRR dies not want to make money. I think consigners do.

Marta P Ellicott City, MD

If I could I would give this company a zero. I consigned 7 items in February, 5 jewelry pieces and Two Hermes scarves. My mid May my jewelry was only half appraised. Despite writing multiple emails to different people in that disastrous mess of an organization, never got a reply from 4 different people. At that point I realized they were such an unprofessional mess that me goods were probably not safe do I requested everything be sent back to me. Thankfully I got my tho gs back yesterday, oh all except the two scarves which were listed as like new at $395 and then all of a sudden reduced by 30 %. My share was a measly $150. These people are a bunch of incompetent crooks!

cyndypb West Palm Beach, FL

Overall, I have done very well consigning items on The Real Real for the past year. However, recently, I have encountered a number of problems, particularly with the fine jewelry department. They have apparently lost a ring that I consigned. Tried to list and return to me a ring that wasn’t mine. My sales rep has supposedly “escalated “ the matter to Senior Client Relations. I have received no response. Also, you are supposed to have price approval over items over $995 in value. I was not given price approval on a number of items each of which was far in excess of the $995 threshold. I pointed this out to my rep who was supposed to fix the problem. Now I find out that one item was sold at a 20% reduction without prior approval. This incompetence borders on thievery and fraud because you cannot get a straight answer from Client Relations. I do not recommend consigning with them until they fix these problems. I honestly question whether they will remain a viable company.

Susan Donaldson Perth, WA

They have a diamond tennis bracelet I returned and they received in April. After many emails still haven’t received my AU$4950.00 refund. They are theives. I will never buy anything from them again. If you don’t live in the USA forget it.

Cristina Carletto Staten Island, NY

i am selling with them. they sell your stuff for a good price but take half of the sale. so if something sells for $180 you only get $99 its not worth it. they rob you. i feel so much regret and I'm pissed that they did this. i would never ever recommend selling with them ever

Helen Hackworth Atlanta, GA

Horrible deceit!!!! They told me I am an icon and would earn 60% from now on. Here is an example of their work: I had a silk Dolce and Gabana blouse with tags around $1,000. Yes, one thousand. They gave me 30% of their ridiculously low price which gave me $23 for that blouse. NEVER CONSIGN WITH THEM.

Amber Wieland Cedar Rapids, IA

Horribly disappointed in the pricing. I sent in a Halston dress in brand new condition, just purchased a month before for $491.00 retail and it still had the tags on it. I went to check what it was listed at today and they immediately priced it at 90% off for $40.00. Which means I will roughly make $18.00 back. I want my dress back. I could get so much more of my money back with a consignment shop in IOWA. That's how bad it is. I will never sell with them again.

Heidi Leung Seoul, 11

I am a VERY angry customer. Never again will I shop from The Real Real. I bought 3 Lanvin dresses but wanted to cancel my orders within 5 minutes after I've placed them because I've realized the international shipping cost was a lot! There wasn't a button to "refund" my order on the page so I had to chat to an agent for an hour for them to initiate the refund. It took ages to connect to one of their customer service staff. It took him/her almost an hour to initiate the refunds. They first said I would get my refund in 3-5 business days, then it turned into 8-10 business days for international transfers. What? Here I am, 12 days later, I still haven't gotten my refund back. Meanwhile, I also messaged one of the agents on their WhatsApp customer service helpline, one customer service agent called Stevie M.'s attitude was a bit weird? He gave me a long lecture about how funds can have hiccups without showing any empathy that I still haven't gotten my refund back. Please see below the copy and pasted messages: "*Stevie M* Waiting for funds to transfer can be frustrating. But as frustrating as they are, delayed payments are a common hiccup that comes part and parcel with running a business. And more than simply a frustration, a delayed payment can have a tangible effect. It can mean the difference between a bill getting paid on time, and a hefty fine. It can mean your staff don’t receive their wages on time. It can mean the difference between hitting your targets for that quarter or not. The direct impacts on your cashflow are obvious. *Stevie M* There is no set or defined timeframe in which a bank transfer should occur. These days a bank transfer can take anywhere from one to ten business days. *Stevie M* I can understand your disappointment but it has been initiated from our ends. It will be credited soon. I will suggest you to contact your bank as well."

Gerald Indek Atlanta, GA

This company won't be around long. The Real Real is to thank for what is by far the worst consumer experience I've ever had. The employees aren't knowledgeable nor are they responsive. I left a very significant amount of high end clothing that was in immaculate condition with TRR only to see it listed and sold for a fraction of what other sites had the same pieces going for. When I say a fraction I mean it. They sold a coat I gave them that was $7,0000 new and absolutely pristine for less than $600.00 (leaving me with less than $300) after their commission. I can provide four other examples that are at least as bad as this one. Their rep who came to my home to pick up the items led me to believe that I'd have an opportunity to approve their pricing before the listings went live and that if I wanted to bring anything back if I didn't agree I could do so easily and at no cost to me. Completely inaccurate info.. Thank you Taylor. the icing on the cake is that absolutely nobody is available once you try and reach out to them. Four weeks passed with emails that weren't returned, texts via their "chat" that go unanswered, etc.. I had very realistic and pretty modest expectations going into this and really feel as though I've been badly taken advantage of. I'll survive but hope this helps the next "victim" of theirs to avoid the same fate.

David Smith Fuquay-Varina, NC

I recently ordered a pair of suede Aquatalia boots on 4/14. On 4/18 I reached out via chat since the status never moved from confirmed. The representative, I will not name confirmed the order had been pulled and ready to ship. Informed her twice that my account does not indicate anything she is reporting. Next day I receive an email the order was cancelled due to error in inventory system. Granted my wife ordered a pair of Burberry sneakers on 3/24 listed as a size 12 and they were actually a size 9. Second time this has happened. I had purchased a pair of Adidas 424 Pristine and was cancelled for the same inventory error. I reached out again and was told I would receive a 7 day $25 courtesy credit. I responded I have already received a credit of $25 and she responded “ Yes I know but I got the approval from the team to issue $25 courtesy credit”. So with that conversation I expected an additional credit. Two days later no credit and was told by another representative “ I would like to inform you, David you have get only $25 on cancel the order”. This is after I pasted the previous conversation. Informed them I would complete a review highlighting their inadequacies and misleading customers. The response was “ I am giving $25 site credit for the mistake from our end”. Still the additional credit has not been applied. Will not do business with them again. Member since October 2021.

Anne Collins Scottsdale, AZ

I have purchased numerous things from The Real Real and never been disappointed. I look at the item I want thoroughly and read all the descriptive information. I have never received anything that was the least bit worn or shoddy in any way. I have purchased several things at a fraction of the original cost that were literally never worn. I have not had the same experience from other online consignment sites. I know that whenever I order something from The Real Real that the item will arrive in a timely manner and be "like new". I have also returned a few things due to sizing issues and never had a problem with that part of the site either. I have also sold many things on this site and had a great experience with their pricing of my items and received my checks for sold items when they are promised. This site is a legitimate place for purchasing items significantly lower than purchasing new and I always feel as though I have really gotten a deal! In addition, each item is wrapped in tissue and most things arrive in a drawstring bag. Good psychology in sending things as though they are new! This is my "go to" site when I am looking for anything before deciding to buy new.

Ana Deskins Riverview, FL

I have to tell this story as I am out thousands of dollars and to the point that I have to retain a lawyer. Be extremely careful of sending them items as you will not get them back if they dont accept them. It has been 6 months!!!! And I still have not had the items returned and they just keep blowing me off saying they will "escalate" this issue. 6 months!!! Really? We are not talking about walmart clothes here or 1 or 2 items. These were Armani, Dolce & Gabbana etc. Please please please be careful of this company. You have been warned

Elina E2E EVENTS Brooklyn, NY

When you send the items to be sold, the Rep ignores you for days to weeks at a time!!! They quote you one price but list it at 5 times less, then they sell it for a price you would NEVER agree to sell at and ignore all your texts, calls and emails !!! And say oh well sorry when you lose over $1000 on a high end designer item. They Don't Care and they're only nice in the beginning to get your stuff then they do as they wish!!! Stay away!!

El ST Toronto, ON

Absolutely horrible experience as a consignor. They mislabeled and wrongly priced half the items I sent in and it has been hell trying to get it adjusted. Furthermore they got the address wrong and I cant correct it- I have now asked numerous times and I cant get any timely response. I haven't seen any money. This has literally been the worst consumer experience

StarSmith Brooklyn, NY

I have to agree with so many others here and warn - do not consign with these con artists. I did a "test" after one of their people called and texted me several times and pressured me to consign. She told me my designer dress, which was New With Tags for $1090, would be priced between 400 and $500. Nope.. they priced it at $245 with a 20% discount so it sold for $196? It sold in less than a day I didn't even have a change to complain and urge for a higher price it happened so fast. I thought I would be able to at least approve the price? $108 for a $1090 new dress with tags of a very popular designer. Unacceptable. They failed the test miserably. I regret sending them my property, I regret believing that wench who lied to me and called me and emailed me and texted me. Such desperation. NEVER AGAIN. And on a buyer's note, who the heck charges a flat rate shipping fee of $13. They do. They're the only ones. And again shipping charges to return? Please just avoid. They are scammers and greedy jerks.

DiscoPink Kitchener, ON

I recently was a 1st time customer and bought 2 small purses together in the same order & was charged the shipping fee TWICE! I finally found their # after getting no response to the email I sent them & the rep I spoke with refunded me the 2nd fee, no problem, great! Until….I got the bags. A Furla & a Tod’s, both “Final Sale’. The Furla is authentic and in excellent condition, no issue there. The Tod’s is an obvious FAKE, They took photos in such a way that I couldn’t see the interior of the bag or the logo clearly…I called them back and the guy said all he could do was give me a $10 credit that I had 7 days to use on the site…..are you SERIOUS?! He didn’t seem to understand that I don’t trust The Real Real anymore since I received a counterfeit bag that THEY claimed was an AUTHENTIC Tod’s and obviously was not. 50% of my order was counterfeit and that is a huge problem for a site that GUARANTEES brand authenticity on ALL of their merchandise. They claim that they employ an “army of experts” who do this for a living and stand behind everything they list….except, apparently, my KNOCK-OFF bag! Oh, and the sizes of both bags was waaaaayyyyy off, both the visual representation of it against the avatar model and the measurements listed…each bag was MUCH smaller than advertised. How does this business get away with what they are doing? First of all they LIED in the listing stating the bag is authentic but is clearly a (bad) knock-off. Secondly, they KNEW it was counterfeit and purposely posted obscuring photos of the bag to further mislead the buyer, me. And finally did nothing to rectify this issue or even apologize to me when I called the company to report this issue. They have therefore committed FRAUD and it’s shocking. I’m disgusted. (And the packaging was so careless & minimal that I’m amazed both bags survived the journey to Canada). Shop at Your Own Risk !!

Olga Froimson Orlando, FL

Date: Feb 10, 2022 I ordered 4 items on TheRealReal web site. It wasn't my first purchase. February 18th I received my order and it was a wrong item. I spoke with an assistant Preston that day and he confirmed the wrong item and created a free return label for my items. In order I had 4 items and 3 of them I SENT BACK. Then I got an email that I received money back ONLY for ONE ITEM (the cheapest one in the return parcel). They still owned me more than $300!! March 4th I spoke with assistant Shaun M. Her answer about my concern "I have escalated this to our returns team for refund, they will look into this and process the refund within 3-5 business days. Now don't worry about refund." March 15th I spoke with another agent again (can check his name later. He said my problem will be solved in 72 hours. March 22nd Patrick M. "I have successfully escalated the concern to the returns team to check why it is taking too long to refund, request you to please wait for 48 hours." March 29 Kate M. "I have raised the concern to the concerned department to get it sorted as soon as possible Please allow me 24-48 hours to get it solved" No answer again. THEY'VE JUST LOST MY RETURN ITEMS and don't want to return my money back! I think it's gonna be a case for a court cause I can proove that I send all items back and they are lying to me 50 days long!

mary Cureton MN

I have never sold on this site but I have bought a few things. Customer service is horrible. I bought a still very expensive expensive no return sale item (a platinum diamond brooch/pendant ) that I needed to return because the description failed to disclose the actual pin mechanism lock was broken and the retracted pendant mechanism was also broken! It was platinum so would have been a fortune to replace (not repairable) broken parts on this pin. Applying the necessary heat would have damaged the filigree and possibly the diamonds unless they were removed and then reset! It was not my fault that they screwed up the description at best or deliberately failed to disclose the damage at worst! In fact it falsely alleged it was in good condition. I spent many hours (my billing rate is 350 per hour so a real waste of my time!) trying to get the return approved and after finally getting it approved they wanted to stick me with a site credit and admonished me that in writing for any future purchases the ALl Big sale items were final sale (regardless if they were misrepresented was the just!) after my terse reply (more wasted time could be billable hours for me)I received an apology email. Too little too late! So if they misrepresent something basically it’s tough for you. I’m an attorney “so this dog don’t hunt” as we say in Texas. That’s no doubt a violation of consumer law, also arguably a classic case of deceptive trade practices (treble damages!) . So unless you are willing to spend hours and raise your blood pressure fighting for your rights, best to avoid this site based on my experience!

MKS Great Neck, NY

A friend who is a huge fan of TheRealReal recommended I consign with them. She told me upfront that she would also be getting a referral fee which I had no issue with. I had an in-home appointment to review my items in order to assess what was most saleable and in total consigned 13 pairs of designer shoes (Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Prada etc) and 20+ clothing items. Getting through to TheRealReal was a total nightmare. You cannot call direct and when you do, you are placed on an indefinite hold with a recording that your wait time is less than 10 minutes. I left my number for a callback that never came. When my items were finally published on the site, I was shocked to see how little they sold my clothing for! An Equipment silk blouse with sales tags attached sold for $40 for which I receive $12! I would've rather donated the item than sell it for $12. An Armani blazer that cost me almost $1000 and was worn once is listed for sale for $80 with a condition description stating there is piling throughout. Not only is that false, I will recoup a big $24! I am so upset, I have asked that some of my items be returned as I'd rather keep them or sell them on Poshmark. I was told there is a $15 per item fee to return them. I specifically questioned the rep who came to my house about any issue I may have with TheRealReal's pricing of my possessions and directly asked if I can have them returned if I do not agree with their suggested price. I was told it would not be a problem and I could request my items back. She never mentioned a charge to get my own clothes and shoes returned and when I called to question her, she told me well yes there is a $15 fee but I've never seen it charged to anyone. I am beyond distraught. I will likely look to have my remaining items sent back and will NEVER NEVER use them again. Thankfully I didn't give them my collection of designer handbags which if I choose to sell, will fetch far more on other resale sites