LAST UPDATED: November 23rd, 2023
Match.com officially launched online in April 1995 as the pioneer for the online dating industry. Match.com serves 24 countries and hosts websites now in 15 different languages. With a simple message, Match.com is available to help singles find the kind of relationships they're looking for.
Match.com members form a diverse, global community of singles who share common goals - to meet other singles, find dates, form romantic relationships and meet life partners. Young and old, gay and straight, from around the world, singles come to Match.com to flirt, meet, date, have fun, fall in love and to form meaningful, loving relationships.
Read our Match.com reviews (below) to see what other online daters are saying about this company.
- Large Dating Pool
- Free Trial
- Site Features
Large Dating Pool
Match.com has been one of the world's largest dating sites since the online dating industry began. It's the most popular online dating app in seventeen states. This company has had many years to understand how online dating services work and have matching features more complicated than most other online dating sites today. Because there is such a large user base registered, Match.com's dating algorithm is more effective and precise about picking "Mutual Matches" than ever.
There's a free membership trial version available either online or as an app download. Match.com has a 6-month guarantee for its members. If a Match.com member is unsuccessful in finding matches, Match.com will give an additional 6-months of service added to their subscription free of charge.
- Advanced Searching - Search options include users by who's online, keywords, gender, age, sexual orientation, location, any field included on member profiles, daily matches, reverse matches, mutual matches, smart search, DateSpark, and more. Members can save their searches with a name attached to refer back to later.
- Auto Sign-In - Set and turn-off auto sign-in to make logging in easier.
- Available Advertising - Members can signup to advertise on Match.com websites for an additional price
- Blocking Privileges & Reporting - Block or report users to keep your profile private and safe from harassment
- Chat - Instantly send messages and chat with other match.com members online.
- Email Notifications - Notifies you by email, anytime you have POF account activity waiting.
- Favorites - Choose and stay updated with your favorite match.com members.
- Games - Choose from seven, 1-5 minute games to play with other match.com members to increase interaction and offer compatibility.
- Included Games: Best and Worst, Drawn Together, Food Critic, Gut Reaction, If I Could, Name that Dance, and Romantic Rip Off.
- Happen Magazine - Read the weekly magazine offered by match.com that's always devoted to helping your love life.
- Link Account To Facebook/Windows Live - Users can link their match.com profile to their Facebook or Windows Live account.
- Match.com Guarantee - Match.com guarantees that their members will find possible matches through their site. If a match isn't found match.com will pay for an additional 6-month subscription.
- MatchPhone - Up to $6.99/month more depending on the current plan. Talk to other match.com members on your own phone, while keeping your actual phone or contact information private.
- Message Center - Keep track of your messages and conversations in one place. Organize, highlight, store, and delete messages conveniently.
- Filtered Email - Add 1 - 7 email filters of your choice. Specify attributes and filter certain members you'd like to receive emails from.
- VIP Email - Send VIP emails once a week (resets every Monday). VIP messages will be bold and highlighted as they show up in the recipient's inbox. Also, the sender's profile will be highlighted as it's shown on the "VIP" member's profile.
- Mobile Application - Works for Apple iPhone, Windows 7 Phone, Android - Updated May 2014
- Match International - International dating profiles available in 15 languages.
- Online Dating Safety Tips - Learn how to date smarter, safer, and with more confidence.
- Phonebook - Keep contact information for all of your favorite match.com members with the Phonebook feature.
- Profile Pro - Professional writers are available to write your match.com profile for an additional cost.
- Registration - Register can connect with millions of other available singles.
- Stir Events - Members are invited to attend "Stir Events" in their area as they're scheduled. These are local events around the country hosted by match.com. Stir Events are intended to let users get to know each other in a group setting while face to face.
- Includes Events Such As: Bowling Nights, Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Happy Hours, Wine & Tequila Tastings, and More.
- Who Viewed You Section - See what members have viewed your profile and how often.
- Writing Help & Dating Tips - Improve your dating style with writing guides or lessons to teach better messaging and communication skills.
Match.com has a new verification system where users can verify their profiles by connecting their Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn page. This verification process is optional. While the dating service does not conduct background checks regularly, they may do so if your profile is reported.
Even though Match.com is one of the top online dating sites today, unfortunately, there are a lot of consumer complaints. Most of the claims are problems with the product or service issues. There have been many complaints about billing/collection as well as guarantee/warranty related issues. Members have also complained about getting spammed with dating emails, and having their credit card information stolen.
The Bottom Line
When most people think of online dating today, Match.com is a popular dating site. Men, women, online daters have been using this company for nearly two decades. However, there are a few pros and cons to consider. The free version is minimal and doesn't allow members the freedom to date and communicate as they please. So if you're considering Match.com, we suggest looking at a paid subscription so that you can get the most value with your online dating experience. Having a paid membership will give you access to all of match.com's unique and fun features but you have to be willing to shell out some money. But if you're newer to online dating, you may want to stick with the free version until you know that Match.com is right for you.
Many using Match.com have found long-term relationships, while others have complained of scammers and fake profiles. This is to be expected with pretty much all online dating services and dating apps as it is a relatively open social media site.
Given Match.com's experience, features, and a large user base, it is a viable option for online dating.
You can download Match.com's mobile app from the Google Play Store or the Apple Store.
Was this content helpful?