Wells Fargo Logo

8.2

Wells Fargo, founded in 1852, offers a variety of services including personal checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investment services, and mortgage products.

With more than 7,200 branch locations and more than 13,000 ATMs, Wells Fargo has the largest physical bank presence in the nation, in addition to offices in 31 countries, and convenient online and mobile banking services.

Continue reading for a full review of this bank, and Wells Fargo reviews from real customers.

Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right
Bank of America Logo
#4 Bank of America chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Variety of Banking Services
  • Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees
  • Free Money Transfers
  • Large ATM Network
  • Online Banking and Mobile App
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Banking Services

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of personal banking products and other services:

• Checking account
  • Savings account
  • Certificate of deposit (CD)
  • Loan products (personal loan, mortgage, auto loan, student loan)
  • Credit card options

In addition, Wells Fargo provides small business products including checking and savings accounts, lines of credit, business loans, and credit cards.

Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees

Wells Fargo's Everyday Checking account is a popular choice for personal banking in the industry, and can be opened with a $25 deposit.
The account does include a $10 monthly service fee, but Wells Fargo provides customers with multiple options for avoiding the fee:

• Maintain a $500 minimum daily balance
  • $500 or more in direct deposits
  • A linked Wells Fargo campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
  • Primary account owner is 17–24 years old

Free Money Transfers

You can easily transfer money between your Wells Fargo accounts with no charge. You can even transfer money to accounts at other financial institutions for free.

Large ATM Network

Wells Fargo has upwards of 13,000 ATMs nationwide, making it much easier to withdraw or deposit cash from your accounts.

The bank also has more than 7,200 branch locations nationwide, allowing you to speak with a banker and manage your accounts as needed.

It is important to note that Wells Fargo does charge an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50.

Online Banking and Mobile App

Wells Fargo offers convenient online banking mobile banking services. The bank also offers a service called the Smarter Credit Center. This center enables customers to do the following:

• Establish credit
  • Improve or rebuild credit
  • Manage debt
  • Explore options to meet borrowing needs

You can also transfer money between accounts online and in the mobile app.

Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo reviews are mixed. The majority of customers award the bank 4 or 5 stars, but approximately 35 percent of reviews are 3 star or below.

Positive reviews most often outline great customer service and convenient banking with the Wells Fargo mobile app. In addition, many customers mention that they have banked with the financial institution for years and have multiple accounts which they are happy with.

Negative reviews most frequently comment on frustration with high fees on simple banking services.

The Bad

• Low Savings Account APYs
  • High Minimum CD
  • Banking Fees

Low Savings Account APYs

The Wells Fargo Way2Savings Account offers a 0.01 percent APY, which is much lower than APYs offered by many other banks.

High Minimum CD

Wells Fargo also has a higher minimum CD of $2,500 compared to other banks. Customers must wait until their deposit matures unlike some banks who allow customers to withdraw their deposit early with no penalties.

Banking Fees

Wells Fargo has many banking fees for checking accounts which include:

• Opening account fee — $50 if you open on site. Over the phone or online it would be a $25 opening fee.
  • Maintenance fee — $10 per month unless you have a $500 total deposit or use your debit card for 10 transactions.
  • Overdraft and returned items fee — $35 for each overdraft fee.

A high number of fees is a common customer complaint in reviews.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides a variety of banking products and services to help consumers manage their money, including the popular Wells Fargo Everyday checking account and Way2Savings account. These accounts have a number of fees, but you can easily avoid the checking account monthly service fee by meeting some specific criteria.

The bank is known for its customer service and offers 24/7 customer service. Wells Fargo has thousands of branch locations across the nation, making it easy to speak one-on-one with a banker if needed. In addition, you can easily manage your banking either online or through the Wells Fargo mobile app.

Customer reviews are mixed. While many customers praise the company's customer service, other customers express dissatisfaction with their Wells Fargo banking experience, most frequently mentioning being charged too many high fees.

View Best Banks

3.7

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have had nothing bit good experiences with Wells Fargo. The advisors always have excellent advice and the staff is always very kind and helpful. I love banking at Wells Fargo!

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I've banked with Wells Fargo over 20 years. I really like that they have branches all over the US. I like to travel and I can usually find a branch wherever I go. I maintain their balance requirements to have free checking. I have enough money in my account to even get free checks. They don't pay very much interest on my savings so I don't recommend them for savings. I have a small savings account with them and several checking accounts. I like that they give college students free checking and savings accounts. My children have accounts linked to mine so it makes it easy to transfer money to them. Of course nowadays they've made it even easier with Zelle. I can transfer money to anyone with their phone or email.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

My parents have banked for Wellsfargo there whole lives and then when I finally needed my own account I went to Wellsfargo and they helped me get all set up! Then when I need to pull off from under one of my parents and just have my name on my account they were super easy to go about it and help me do it on my own. Whenever I need help with something or have questions setting up accounts they are so easy to work with! I love banking with them!

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I know Wells Fargo has been in the middle of a scandal, but honestly they have always treated me so well. They always give my daughter suckers and for Christmas they gave her a cute little black horse with a Wells Fargo cape on it. Their banking services have always been easy. Mobile check deposits was life changing. Wiring money has always been easy, especially transferring to another Wells Fargo customer. I just have never had a complaint about their services.

William Carver Provo, UT

I have been a customer at Wells Fargo for almost 5 years now and have had an incredible experience with them. They have been a great bank to work with and have been extremely helpful with everything I ask for. As a college student they have been helpful with saving me the most money possible and earning the most rewards possible. Every time I have met with a banker they are always very personable and helpful. I would suggest this bank to anyone.

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda Tallahassee, FL

I've had an account with Wells Fargo for about 8 years now and it has been excellent! The one feature I enjoy the most is the Card-Free Access. This allows me to withdraw money from the ATM without my card. This is helpful when I forget my debit card at home.

Lethia Johnson Tallahassee, FL

I used Wells Fargo when I was a student at the University of Florida, and it was super useful to have as a student because of all the access to ATM's around. I also traveled to Hawaii, where they did not have any affiliated ATM's, so they reimbursed be for all my ATM fees!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Excellent service on my auto loan. They handled it professionally and never missed a thing. Was so impressed that I changed all of my banking over to Wells Fargo. Full service, and great rates overall. Loved my experience with Well fargo and intend on staying with them long-term!

Raúl Galeano Elkridge, MD

For a few years I'm a client, I started when I was Wachovia, I still operate, but for me the way2save isn t very functional. I'm in the process of analyzing that bank I move because the bank is too static, it offers no new product or growth options. Thank you for now.

Mikael Sterg Union, NJ

Lisa Lisa is very helpful she always spends a lot of time with me give me so much information on my business account and how I can gain interest in actually save on fees she has a very nice personality they actually approve me for a really nice credit card as well

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Wells Fargo is the best bank in all the land. They have everything I need in a bank and treat me right. Their loans have good interest rates. They have good customer service and treat me like a friend. They have convenient locations and I like their online abilities and easy processes with everything.

Anna Hu Provo, UT

Been banking with Wells Fargo for almost 10 years now, and have had nothing but positive experiences. Love that I can do almost banking function from my phone, including depositing checks, transferring money, paying off bills, and more. Every time I have been into a physical location, I have been met with much professionalism. They have been so easy and helpful as I have added credit cards with them, and opened up new accounts.

Boston Whipple Provo, UT

The Wells Fargo online banking has gone down on several occasions and I have been forced to use the mobile app. Other than that, my experience with Wells Fargo has been really good. They have been very helpful when I have called them to cancel debit cards and request new ones and their service has been professional and helpful when I have gone into the bank for other account services.

Amanda Sherwood, OR

I Love this company! I have been banking with Wellsfargo for over 7 years and never had issues. They even refunded me some fees a couple times. I never pay any fees on my accounts generally (happened on accident when I forgot to transfer money to my checking account before a check came through and they refunded it). Their Credit card has a pretty good reward program (1.5% or 1% back on most purchase that you can get cash to your account for or buy gift cards etc.) I love their app, super easy to use! Also love the new Zells program to transfer money to people with just their phone number!

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I started banking with Wells Fargo as a teenager and have had a checking and savings account with them for many years. The staff are always friendly and helpful and I don’t pay fees for basic checking.

Sarah Mercival Tallahassee, FL

Having my first job I opened up a checking account with this bank. They have the best student checking account and even give you a bonus for joining. 3 yers later and I still love them

Mikayla Ralston Navarre, FL

I've used Wells Fargo for loans before. They were very helpful, gave me a descent rate, and have services that make it very easy to make payments. I would gladly use Wells Fargo again.

Linda

I have used Wells Fargo since my local bank changed to Wells Fargo. The bank is located in my neighborhood and is staffed with friendly people who make me feel like they are indeed happy to see me when I come into the bank.

michael Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

courtesy, competence and caring. their tellers are always friendly and seem to remember everybody's name, and their officers are knowledgeable and not afraid to roll up their sleeves.

James Voyles Boise, ID

Ease of on-line account management, seamless connection between Wells Fargo Bank and Wells Fargo Advisors. Up to date applications, both mobile and web based, to make our financial management about as easy as it can be.

Laurel Van Wagenen Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Wells Fargo since I was so young and I literally do not know any other bank. They have helped me a couple of times that my card has gotten stolen or someone has tried to use my account information. The bankers are always so helpful and their service team is great.

RVM Lubbock, TX

I HAVE BEEN WITH WF FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED. FANTASIC CUSTOMER SERVICE. CAN'T THINK OF ANY WAYS THEY MAY IMPROVE.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I have used Wells Fargo for as long as I have had a bank account. Their online app makes it very easy to check accounts and make deposits on-the-go which is very useful!

Adriana Diaz American Fork, UT

Wells Fargo is the only bank that we use because it is the only one we trust , we love that we can access it straight from our phones and check our accounts.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

I have banked with them since high school. They have been great to me and I have never had any issues. Their mobile app and the deposit feature is a game changer.

Jenny whipple Mesa, AZ

Easy to use mobile and online services. Friendly and helpful employees in the bank and on the phone. They caught fraudulent activity recently and corrected it quickly without a hassle.

Michelle215 ,

The staff are nice and friendly stores are always kept clean and there's never long lines so im in and out.never had an issue cashing checks

Jalan Mccloud Tallahassee, FL

I love this bank, I don't plan on ever switching to any other. Has great customer service and good at helping you plan financially.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I have been using Wellsfargo banking since I can remember. They have amazing customer service and are very helpful! Highly recommend!

Annie Chow Tallahassee, FL

Never failed me and the customer service is always great. My paychecks always come immediately no matter the time or day too.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

I bank at Wells Fargo. They are very dependable, have easy access to many branches, but also have a nice online presence.

Edward Riggin Rider of Bikes and walking along the shore of New Jersey

I rate the customer service and help a 5 due to their hearing me out. Sometimes one might get confused with all the information flow.

Kurt Kretzschmar

I have always been given great service and they are dependable. They are open on Saturday at most branches, and they also have drive throughs.

Ken South Jordan, UT

I love this bank. Great online services, great credit card options, easy to do business with. Loan services are also exceptional.

Sepi Salt Lake City, UT

The customer service is good and it always helping us to get easy access to the best quality goods and they always friendly and wanted to help out if i need questions !!!

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

Wells Fargo was super great to us. I also really like the name, it feels cozy. They are super accessible and very friendly. Would recommend to anyone.

Jordan Keck Iona, ID

I have been banking with Wells Fargo for the past 5 years. They have been nothing but a pleasure to work with! Always kind and willing to help with my banking needs.

Rebecca Provo, UT

Wells Fargo is a great bank! Great customer service, great opportunities for savings accounts and debit accounts. I also have a great credit card with lots of perks!

Brette Draper, UT

I lost my card and someone found it and dropped it off in their drop box, they were so nice and held the card until I had a convenient time to pick it up! Great service

Taylee Warner Riverton, UT

Wells Fargo has the best company service. They are so willing to help and are so nice. Love this bank.

Clancy Jayne

great service always respond When a issue has come up they always correct or service ASAP fast and with NO ISSUES.

Nina Franklin Dallas, TX

reliable and always post my direct deposits in a timely manor. always courteous at any time I have been in a branch.

Frank Bianco Summerfield, FL

When ever I go into the Bank for help their right their. Never have I called or gone in that I had a problem.

Tamra Reno, NV

I love the convenience of Wells Fargo. They have branches everywhere. Also the app is so convenient and easy to use.

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

This is the first bank I ever used where I had my very first debit card. Great customer service and absolutely no problems

Danica Moosman Pleasant Grove, UT

Wells Fargo is amazing! Every time I need to go it is the easiest experience ever and I am always greeted with smiles and kindness!

Erin Rhoton Veguita, NM

Wells Fargo has always treated me really well. They were the first bank I have ever worked with and they are always respectful and easy to work with.

Grace Schertz, TX

Theyr just good to people ,always very friendly and great you with a smile

Hallieford Arlington, TX

I have multiple accounts with Wells Fargo. They are easy to work with and have branches all over.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

Wells Fargo fixed my account when I had a fraud on it in one day. They are so helpful