Wells Fargo Logo

8.2

Wells Fargo, founded in 1852, offers a variety of services including personal checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investment services, and mortgage products.

With more than 7,200 branch locations and more than 13,000 ATMs, Wells Fargo has the largest physical bank presence in the nation, in addition to offices in 31 countries, and convenient online and mobile banking services.

Continue reading for a full review of this bank, and Wells Fargo reviews from real customers.

Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right
Bank of America Logo
#4 Bank of America chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Variety of Banking Services
  • Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees
  • Free Money Transfers
  • Large ATM Network
  • Online Banking and Mobile App
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Banking Services

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of personal banking products and other services:

• Checking account
  • Savings account
  • Certificate of deposit (CD)
  • Loan products (personal loan, mortgage, auto loan, student loan)
  • Credit card options

In addition, Wells Fargo provides small business products including checking and savings accounts, lines of credit, business loans, and credit cards.

Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees

Wells Fargo's Everyday Checking account is a popular choice for personal banking in the industry, and can be opened with a $25 deposit.
The account does include a $10 monthly service fee, but Wells Fargo provides customers with multiple options for avoiding the fee:

• Maintain a $500 minimum daily balance
  • $500 or more in direct deposits
  • A linked Wells Fargo campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
  • Primary account owner is 17–24 years old

Free Money Transfers

You can easily transfer money between your Wells Fargo accounts with no charge. You can even transfer money to accounts at other financial institutions for free.

Large ATM Network

Wells Fargo has upwards of 13,000 ATMs nationwide, making it much easier to withdraw or deposit cash from your accounts.

The bank also has more than 7,200 branch locations nationwide, allowing you to speak with a banker and manage your accounts as needed.

It is important to note that Wells Fargo does charge an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50.

Online Banking and Mobile App

Wells Fargo offers convenient online banking mobile banking services. The bank also offers a service called the Smarter Credit Center. This center enables customers to do the following:

• Establish credit
  • Improve or rebuild credit
  • Manage debt
  • Explore options to meet borrowing needs

You can also transfer money between accounts online and in the mobile app.

Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo reviews are mixed. The majority of customers award the bank 4 or 5 stars, but approximately 35 percent of reviews are 3 star or below.

Positive reviews most often outline great customer service and convenient banking with the Wells Fargo mobile app. In addition, many customers mention that they have banked with the financial institution for years and have multiple accounts which they are happy with.

Negative reviews most frequently comment on frustration with high fees on simple banking services.

The Bad

• Low Savings Account APYs
  • High Minimum CD
  • Banking Fees

Low Savings Account APYs

The Wells Fargo Way2Savings Account offers a 0.01 percent APY, which is much lower than APYs offered by many other banks.

High Minimum CD

Wells Fargo also has a higher minimum CD of $2,500 compared to other banks. Customers must wait until their deposit matures unlike some banks who allow customers to withdraw their deposit early with no penalties.

Banking Fees

Wells Fargo has many banking fees for checking accounts which include:

• Opening account fee — $50 if you open on site. Over the phone or online it would be a $25 opening fee.
  • Maintenance fee — $10 per month unless you have a $500 total deposit or use your debit card for 10 transactions.
  • Overdraft and returned items fee — $35 for each overdraft fee.

A high number of fees is a common customer complaint in reviews.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides a variety of banking products and services to help consumers manage their money, including the popular Wells Fargo Everyday checking account and Way2Savings account. These accounts have a number of fees, but you can easily avoid the checking account monthly service fee by meeting some specific criteria.

The bank is known for its customer service and offers 24/7 customer service. Wells Fargo has thousands of branch locations across the nation, making it easy to speak one-on-one with a banker if needed. In addition, you can easily manage your banking either online or through the Wells Fargo mobile app.

Customer reviews are mixed. While many customers praise the company's customer service, other customers express dissatisfaction with their Wells Fargo banking experience, most frequently mentioning being charged too many high fees.

View Best Banks

3.7

Jessica Lopez , FL

Their atms seem to go down often. They need to replace them but other than that a pretty good bank. I started with them in high school when it was owned by Wachovia then Wells Fargo bought them out and it's been owned by them ever since. No annual fee if you have direct deposits over a certain amount.

Summer Porter Managua, MN

I have used Wells Fargo for years now and am content with their service. A few months ago, my father passed away and my family needed to transfer his accounts in order to make it more logistical. My mother and I showed up for the appointment and the teller immediately remembered our family situation and was very sensitive in assisting our needs. Their website and mobile app is easy to navigate.

Kim Tempe, AZ

I have been a member with Wells Fargo since 2008. I have not had any issues at all but worry when I hear of all the negative things going on. Thus far, the branches that I walk into are always ready to assist and very helpful. Anytime I have had to call customer service, there has been no issues. Overall satisfied, just a little leery of my protection as a customer.

Madison , GA

good, nice bankers and good mobile app! wish there were some options that didnt have the level of fees that there are, but i do meet the qualifications monthly to get the account without having to pay the typical fees

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

Whenever I deposit money at Wells Fargo for my parents the staff are always friendly. Because I don't have an account there, they're always trying to hint for me to open an account there but in the most friendly and noninvasive way which is nice because sometimes it can be a little overwhelming when other companies try to sell their services.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Occasionally I have had to cash a check in a Wells Fargo bank. The branch has always been clean and the tellers have always been courteous. I appreciate that the lines are typically short and that the transactions have been handled quickly. The fees that they charge for cashing a check are not outrageous, which is appreciated.

Michael Miller

Although they were involved in a high level of fraudulent activity, I myself have been with this bank for 6 years without incident. I've received superb customer services, better than at any other bank I've been with. I would give them 5 stars if it were not for the scandal.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

As far as banking goes, they have been fine. But little details like changing my name when I got married took a year and a half of phone calls, mail, and going into local branches it get it all fixed. It is a small thing but it put me off. How hard could that be?

Abbey Richards American Fork, UT

I wasn't a huge fan of working with the customer service reps in the store, but Wells Fargo banking app is awesome. It makes my banking experience so much better. The app is really well built, and I use it all the time. I do enjoy banking with Wells Fargo.

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using Wells Fargo for a long time and I have really enjoyed their customer service at the branch I go to. However, they do have account fees and overdraft fees. But beside the fess I have no other complains about them.

Breanna Jones Herriman, UT

I have been a customer for 10+ years. I don't have to pay any fees to have a checking and savings account open. I have had to call customer service a couple of times and I actually feel appreciated as a customer. I have had a couple late payment fees waived and that makes a difference to me. Locations are everywhere which is so convenient.

Maile Curtis Salt Lake City, UT

We have been with Wells Fargo for a couple of years now. We have never had a problem with them. Their customer service is great and people who work at the bank are super nice. The only thing that I do not like about Wells Fargo is the fees they charge for having an account with them.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

I really like Wells Fargo. They are very friendly every time I go in and they do their best to help me when I need it. There isn't really any bad accept for banking fees, but there are ways to avoid them which is nice and they have other options for students.

Jeff Gonnason Kihei, HI

I dislike big mega banks, however Wells Fargo has provided good service and has a good website.

ltrain8796 Orem, UT

We had a ID fraud done to our credit card through Wells Fargo. They helped take care of us. They froze the card issued another and made sure our money was safe. We are very happy with our experience with them.

Ernesto Lozano Phoenix, AZ

easy and fast every time I go to do business at my branch. And when I need personal help it's always fast and convenient and they take care of my problem usually on the first visit

L. South Jordan, UT

We have banked with Wells Fargo for about 20 years. We have been pleased with our experience. We have had savings and checking accounts, loans, and credit card accounts. Our experience has always been positive.

Caitlin Bekker Salt Lake City, UT

All of the Wells Fargo branches I have been to thus far have been a good experience. Employees are polite and friendly and have been very good resources. I would recommend banking with Wells Fargo to anyone

Leah Jaslow Minneapolis, MN

I have had a good experience working with Wells Fargo. Response time for questions are good and my experience with their customer service team has been good. I think their financial planning and analysis features on their mobile app could be improved.

katiec Provo, UT

Wells Fargo is a great bank. I am always extremely pleased with their customer service as well as their ability to catch fraud. The only downside is that I sometimes get random charges on my account for things that I shouldn’t be charged for. Overall a great bank!

Robyn Rhoton Alpine, UT

I use Wells Fargo for checking and savings. Their bill pay service is the best I have found and it saves time each month as I pay bills. I like that they have branches all over the United States which makes it easy when I travel.

Madi Thompson Ogden, UT

Wells Fargo was my first bank and I'm really glad I started with them. I feel like they are a trust worthy bank. And when I was a kid they helped me learn how to save money. It's a great bank to start with for younger people learning about financing.

Trent Provo, UT

Usually good customer service. My only complaint is that each branch give different information. My usually branch was closed, so I went to another and they told me contradictory things about combining accounts and getting checks. I had to talk to a manager and finally he confirmed that what my local branch had said was actually correct after all.

Nicholas Genes Los Angeles, CA

Typical bank. Nothing really stands out with them except that I have no trouble find a Wells Fargo across the country. If you need a bank that is well known, Fargo is it.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Used Wells Fargo for a time and they were a trustworthy bank to use. At the time they didnt have the mobile bank that I was wanting to use on my phone, so I changed banks.

Spencer Morris (Logan) Riverton, UT

Wells Fargo is easy to get to, was easy to work with but every once in a while the payment would stuggle to go through and leave with a late fee i would then have to fix

LindaWicks

timely with general banking needs, Have not used for other purposes. When used for needs, I would say, they do ok, their personal customer service, could use improvement. .

North San Jose

They respond to my any question or concern withing 1~2 days world wide. They also changed many program after I suggested. They really listen to the customers.

Steve

I have been baking with Wells for 17 years and have all my accounts with them. They have been effective and good for personal as well as business accounts.

Rob Whipple Mesa, AZ

Generally good to work with. Customer support is always helpful. I don't like the recent changes to the website, particularly to the online bill pay site. But overall, have been good to me for years.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

I do my business banking with Wells Fargo and have to come into the bank to make deposits on a regular basis. The customer service staff is always helpful and fast with my deposits.

Subzero35 York, PA

Been a loyal customer for 8+ years and when there is an issue 9 out the 10 reps will do what's necessary to help and protect the customer.

jack vierling Jacksonville, FL

close by-professional, accomodating,near home,professional acting,do what we need. is that enough characters-come on people

Alle South Jordan, UT

They've always been very helpful when I call about renewing or getting a new debit/credit card. They're a reliable bank that I trust.

Jami Myers Victor, ID

We have a car loan through Wells Fargo. We have never had a problem with safe and they have all been very knowledgeable and kind!

David Lewis Salt Lake City, UT

The best thing about Wells Fargo is the amount of locations and ATMs they have. You can always find a branch or ATM no matter where you are it seems like.

P. Palmer El Paso, TX

I have been banking with American Express for more than 10 years and they have been great. The only thing I would like is a higher interest rate on our savings account.

Annmarie Provo, UT

I accidentqlly Flushed my credit card down a toilet at wal mart and Wells Fargo replaced my card within hours! Grateful for their speedy customer service!

zoe American Fork, UT

wells fargo’s costumer service is super easy to work with and they are super reliable! you can trust them!

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Wells Cargo is a great company to work with. Their customer service is top notch offering competitive rates.

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

Great environment any time I go in to deposit money. Very helpful and always going above and beyond.

Hannah Provo, UT

The customer service is always top notch when I go into my local bank. They are quick and efficient!

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I used this bank when I was first starting out as a teen. They were a good bank to use but I have since change to a credit union.

Ken Francis Provo, UT

It has been a useful bank. I like the ease of use but it lost my trust when it had their scandal

Amy B

Banking is excellent however they do not have any branches in Boston nor ATMs with no fee.

Becky Palmetto, FL

They are convenient and when I was hacked, they responded quickly and with out any problems

Steven A LeBeau Vienna, VA

Mostly great but sometimes bank fees are charged that are unexplained and unwarrented

Lori Schwab Sandy, UT

Wells Fargo is very customer oriented. Convenient locations. No excessive fees or hidden charges.

C San Jose, CA

Staff have been very good to work with so far. Sometimes there's some questionable fees as with any bank.

Teresita Obermann

Consistently handle my financial needs in a smooth and professional manner.