Wells Fargo Logo

8.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Wells Fargo, founded in 1852, offers a variety of services including personal checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investment services, and mortgage products.

With more than 7,200 branch locations and more than 13,000 ATMs, Wells Fargo has the largest physical bank presence in the nation, in addition to offices in 31 countries, and convenient online and mobile banking services.

Continue reading for a full review of this bank, and Wells Fargo reviews from real customers.

Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right
Bank of America Logo
#4 Bank of America chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Variety of Banking Services
  • Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees
  • Free Money Transfers
  • Large ATM Network
  • Online Banking and Mobile App
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Banking Services

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of personal banking products and other services:

• Checking account
  • Savings account
  • Certificate of deposit (CD)
  • Loan products (personal loan, mortgage, auto loan, student loan)
  • Credit card options

In addition, Wells Fargo provides small business products including checking and savings accounts, lines of credit, business loans, and credit cards.

Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees

Wells Fargo's Everyday Checking account is a popular choice for personal banking in the industry, and can be opened with a $25 deposit.
The account does include a $10 monthly service fee, but Wells Fargo provides customers with multiple options for avoiding the fee:

• Maintain a $500 minimum daily balance
  • $500 or more in direct deposits
  • A linked Wells Fargo campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
  • Primary account owner is 17–24 years old

Free Money Transfers

You can easily transfer money between your Wells Fargo accounts with no charge. You can even transfer money to accounts at other financial institutions for free.

Large ATM Network

Wells Fargo has upwards of 13,000 ATMs nationwide, making it much easier to withdraw or deposit cash from your accounts.

The bank also has more than 7,200 branch locations nationwide, allowing you to speak with a banker and manage your accounts as needed.

It is important to note that Wells Fargo does charge an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50.

Online Banking and Mobile App

Wells Fargo offers convenient online banking mobile banking services. The bank also offers a service called the Smarter Credit Center. This center enables customers to do the following:

• Establish credit
  • Improve or rebuild credit
  • Manage debt
  • Explore options to meet borrowing needs

You can also transfer money between accounts online and in the mobile app.

Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo reviews are mixed. The majority of customers award the bank 4 or 5 stars, but approximately 35 percent of reviews are 3 star or below.

Positive reviews most often outline great customer service and convenient banking with the Wells Fargo mobile app. In addition, many customers mention that they have banked with the financial institution for years and have multiple accounts which they are happy with.

Negative reviews most frequently comment on frustration with high fees on simple banking services.

The Bad

• Low Savings Account APYs
  • High Minimum CD
  • Banking Fees

Low Savings Account APYs

The Wells Fargo Way2Savings Account offers a 0.01 percent APY, which is much lower than APYs offered by many other banks.

High Minimum CD

Wells Fargo also has a higher minimum CD of $2,500 compared to other banks. Customers must wait until their deposit matures unlike some banks who allow customers to withdraw their deposit early with no penalties.

Banking Fees

Wells Fargo has many banking fees for checking accounts which include:

• Opening account fee — $50 if you open on site. Over the phone or online it would be a $25 opening fee.
  • Maintenance fee — $10 per month unless you have a $500 total deposit or use your debit card for 10 transactions.
  • Overdraft and returned items fee — $35 for each overdraft fee.

A high number of fees is a common customer complaint in reviews.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides a variety of banking products and services to help consumers manage their money, including the popular Wells Fargo Everyday checking account and Way2Savings account. These accounts have a number of fees, but you can easily avoid the checking account monthly service fee by meeting some specific criteria.

The bank is known for its customer service and offers 24/7 customer service. Wells Fargo has thousands of branch locations across the nation, making it easy to speak one-on-one with a banker if needed. In addition, you can easily manage your banking either online or through the Wells Fargo mobile app.

Customer reviews are mixed. While many customers praise the company's customer service, other customers express dissatisfaction with their Wells Fargo banking experience, most frequently mentioning being charged too many high fees.

View Best Banks

3.7

Jessica C. Apex, NC

Things I like - they keep my money safe. Their website is easy to use and I like the drive-thru. One thing I don't like - you get slammed with an overdraft fee if you run out of funds in your checking, even if you have plenty in your savings (this wasn't an issue at the credit union I was at before). I think they may have waived it when we called, but I can't remember for sure. We've had a few more issues like not coming home with the correct amount from a cashed check (my husband now checked every time), and a friend's check bouncing and we had to pay a fee for it, but I don't need to go more into it all I suppose, and we're still with them for now, but I don't think they're spectacular. I liked the credit union we were at before, but it's only in another state, so Wells Fargo it is.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I was with Wells Fargo for over 10 years before switching. I was entirely underwhelmed by my experience. Just about the only redeeming quality was good in person customer service. Over the phone customer service was awful. The fees associated with my account were also outrageous. I left after having many issues myself, and then finding out about the employees creating fake accounts. I would NOT recommend Wells Fargo.

Justin McMurtrey Herriman, UT

Wells Fargo has really lost my trust over the last bunch of years. They don’t have the customer in mind and it’s all about their bottom line. There fees for simple services are absurd. I would not suggest banking with them.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Their overdraft fees are absolutely ridiculous. It was so hard to use their app and transfer funds that I accidentally put my checking account in to the negative and would get charged like $50. Not only that but every time I tried to get rid of my account with them, they would pressure me so much to stay with them. It was really uncomfortable!

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I had Wells Fargo a while back. I dont know if they are still doing it now but I left them for Chase because they were charging me a lot of fees for using the account, swiping my card etc etc. I wasnt happy with them at all.

James Crawley New York, NY

I used to have Wells Fargo but closed my accounts because I felt like I was getting nickel and dimmed. I would get random fees all the time and eventually just lost it. That was before the news hit that employees at Wells Fargo have behaved really unethically...it all makes sense now

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I closed my Wells Fargo account; I was always getting random fees for different things and they always seemed difficult to work with if we had an issue.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

We used to bank with Wells fargo and the customer service and programs were great- but the fees they ding their members with are just too much and pretty frustrating.

HOPE MILLER Folcroft, PA

Everything is good uness you have to go into a branch. Especially the Sharon Hill, PA branch. It is a painful and all day experience when you have to go in there.

Doom Truong Lehi, UT

I have multiple checking accounts at different banks that being said I wouldn’t recommend Wells Fargo. If you don’t use your account it goes inactive then takes multiple days to renew it.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

Customer service was ok. We had our business account here but ended up switching because of all of the add on fees they had with the account.

Tamara

I don't trust them and don't I don't trust my money is safe. I don't think we should do banking this way anymore. Bitcoin will reign.

Samantha Millville, UT

Never had a good experience when I banked with them. It took forever to get anything done with them. Moved my money elsewhere!

Andres Martinez Houston, TX

Make decisions without consulting clients. Overcharge too many fees, never in favor of customer, too greedy.

L. T. Sacramento, CA

What happened to these guys? Used to be one of the best. I am a customer and have been for years but the trust factor is in the gutter.

jordan gold Wilmington, NC

Very leary,because of way treated clients...disappointed :(keep close on on them

John Kenny

Account fees. Customer service. Phone support. Trustworthiness.

Michael Bowen St. Petersburg, FL

To latge, big fees, no atm except theirs allow free transaction

David L Coulthard Oxnard, CA

been a customer for 15 years and they refused to give a personal loan

Shirley

Charges are hidden on the daily activity statements.

Kent Jensen Newberg, OR

too quick to turn off and cancel cc's without notice.

Kathy Hatchery Russell Birmingham, AL

They are thieves . Charge you 12.50 to use your own money .

James Walrod