Community Bank, N.A.

Insufficient Reviews Companies must have at least 10 reviews in order to calculate an overall score. Until they have 10 reviews they will be listed based on the estimated overall score taking into account the criteria not related to reviews.

Founded in 1866, Community Bank, N.A. (National Association) is a commercial bank serving customers in Upstate New York and Pennsylvania. It is a subsidiary of Community Bank System, Inc. and is headquartered in Dewitt, New York. There are over 170 branches.

Wells Fargo Logo Wells Fargo ›

7.9

Overall
Score

Capital One Logo Capital One ›

7.0

Overall
Score

Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank ›

6.8

Overall
Score

Community Bank, N.A. Logo Community Bank, N.A.

Insufficient
Reviews

The Good

• Customized products
  • Features and services
  • No monthly service fees

Customized Products

Community Bank, N.A. provides solutions for personal, business, and wealth management clients. Regardless of the situations or financial background, Community Bank, N.A. works to provide customized options and products to benefit all those who bank with them. There are also lending and and investment opportunities available.

Features and Services

Individuals who decide to open a checking account with Community Bank can expect the see a number of positive features and services that are included with any and all account types. There are also four different accounts for clients to choose from. Each account is designed to benefit different types of financial situations. These accounts can be broken down as follows:

• Free Checking: benefits include no minimum balance, no monthly service charge, no per check charge, free return of check images, free Visa debit card with text alert fraud prevention, free online banking with Bill Pay, and free mobile banking and mobile deposit.
  • VIP Free Interest Checking: benefits include competitive interest, no minimum balance, no monthly service charge, no per check charge, free return of check images, free Visa debit card with text fraud prevention, free online banking with Bill Pay, and free mobile banking with mobile deposit.
  • 50 and Better Interest Checking: benefits include competitive interest, no minimum balance, no monthly service charge, no per check charge, free return of check images, free Visa debit card with text alert fraud prevention, free online banking with Bill Pay, and free mobile banking and mobile deposit.
  • Wall Street Checking: benefits include higher interest rates with balances of $2,500 or more, competitive interest if balance falls below $2,500, only %8 monthly charge if minimum balance falls below $1,000, no per check charge, free return of check images, free Visa debit card with text alert fraud prevention, free online banking with Bill Pay, and free mobile banking and mobile deposit.

No Monthly Service Fees

Another feature that sets Community Bank apart is the fact that a majority of their accounts do not charge monthly service fees. There are a couple, but the requirements needed to be met to have this fee waived are extremely simple compared to other banks.

The Bad

• Limited options
  • Lack of transparency

Limited Options

While there are solutions for financing through Community Bank, the options are rather limited. Not only will individuals need to qualify and meet the standards before getting approved for these loans, there are not many milestones or opportunities that Community Bank can finance. The only loan options include the following:

• Personal Loans: comes with competitive rates, payment protections, and simple payment options.
  • Home Equity Loans - competitive fixed rates and terms with no closing costs. Interest paid may be tax-deductible.
  • Home Mortgages - fixed rate loans that can include mortgage refinancing.

Lack of Transparency

Community Bank claims to offer competitive interest rates on both checking and savings schools, however they do not necessarily disclose this information. That makes it hard for prospective clients to determine exactly what "competitive" entails and how much they can expect their money to grow over time.

The Bottom Line

Community Bank, N.A. strives to find solutions for each prospective client that walks through the door. They will work with a number of financial situations to ensure the best financial management moving forward. Those that decide to use Community Bank, N.A. can expect the following from the service:

1. Wide range of personal banking options
  2. No monthly service charges on most accounts
  3. Online and mobile banking solutions
  4. Limited loan options
  5. Lack of information on interest rates

Robin

February 13th, 2018 Williamsburg, VA DETAILS

The electronic banking and loan processing is the worst. They may as well not even bother - and customer service is obviously numb to complaints. We had 2 car loans through them. I will never use them again and am telling the dealer we used to drop them. The first was paid off and they continued to deduct money on schedule without any recognition of a zero balance. It took us 2 months to get our over-payment back. The second loan was also setup for automatic payments and withdrawals just stopped for no apparent reason. We only found out because they turned us over to collections - no other courtesy notice that the ACH was ending or that we missed a payment. They said "sometimes there is an expiration on the ACH payments" but couldn't tell us anything different. WE USED THEIR FORM to set up the payments. Nothing was wrong on our bank's end. We decided to pay this second loan off in full so we don't have to deal with this bank any longer and have told our bank that any further withdrawals from them should be considered fraudulent. I will never use Community Bank again and will advise every person I know to avoid them. Hopefully the FDIC shuts them down. It's a shame they have acquired so many small local banks and are ruining the lives of their customers.

Tom

February 9th, 2018 DETAILS

Community Bank acquired my home-town bank. The first time we had to renew our business line of credit after the merger they processed it under the wrong program and we had to start the process all over again. We were asked for the same information over and over again. I had a similar experience when I tried to open a home equity line of credit. The process took months and by the time it closed I had found alternative financing. Loan officers were emailing my tax returns with no encryption so all my personal information was out there for all the world to see. You would think a bank would know better. I sent the information to them using a secure cloud service and then they were emailing it back and forth among themselves . I know this because I was cc'd on one of the emails. Yesterday was the last straw. I called the customer service number with a simple question. The greeting expressed how important my call was to them and then asked me to leave a number and they would call back. You guessed it. Never got a call back. If I ran my business like this my clients we jump ship in droves.

david baker

December 5th, 2017 Heilwood, PA DETAILS

years,ago used you forks for car loan,i paid off my car 2-3 years still can not get my title for car

Michele

September 11th, 2017

This bank doesn't know the meaning of customer service!! They treated me in a racist and derogatory manner and never listened to the reason that I came in to the bank!! The bank manager was horrible, never gave me a chance to explain anything!! Closing my accounts as I type this!! Just assumed that I didn't work because I am black and get social security deposit in my account!! Sick!!

Dee

August 23rd, 2017

I tried using online banking, but my phone number has changed since opening an account with community bank na years ago. I have recently moved out of NY and tried transferring my funds to my new bank account in the new state where I've moved to but the online banking wants to send me a code via text message to my phone for security purposes. The problem is I don't have that same phone number and there's no way to update my new number through their online banking. They are asking that I drive 13 hours to their branch to update my new phone number. This bank is horrible on customer service for the elderly.

Jennifer

June 1st, 2017

This is worst credit card bank I have ever dealed with.i have a few store credit cards with this bank. Hoping to build my credit. Every time you pay your bill with this bank u get a email saying thanks for your payment. Well after the bill is past due it say late fees. I have called customers service. They say well there something wrong with your phone when making payment. No there not all my other bills go threw.they play stupid to get your late fees.

John Clarke

May 19th, 2017 Richmond, VT

I have been trying to convert from a "merged" bank to Community Bank for more than a week. No help. Too busy.