BB&T Bank

BB&T Bank Logo

5.9

BB&T Bank

Have you worked with BB&T Bank before? Leave your review below.

Founded in 1872, BB&T continues to build on their reputation and tradition of striving for excellence within the community to this day. BB&T offers clients a complete range of financial services. These features and services include: banking, lending, insurance, trust, and wealth management solutions.

The Good

• Great services
  • Checking account options
  • Saving account options

Great Services

BB&T Bank offers a number of banking, lending, and investing solutions to consumers throughout a number of states spread across the country. The BB&T operation is backed and insured by the FDIC and all payments and transactions are secure. They also meet all requirement to be considered an equal housing lender. Additionally, there are insurance options for those who receive loans through BB&T.

Checking Account Options

BB&T Bank offers five different checking account options. Each option provides a number of useful features and include there own set of restrictions. Those that bank with BB&T can upgrade their checking account or open a new account online without having to visit a physical branch. All BB&T checking accounts come with paper statement capabilities. Additionally, all BB&T checking accounts offer online and mobile app banking with personal financial management tools through U by BB&T, BB&T ATM withdrawals, and Phone24 automated inquiries. Each checking account option is broken down as follows:

• BB&T Fundamentals Checking - a basic account with a fixed monthly fee that's easy on almost any budget. Includes a $5 monthly maintenance fee.
  • BB&T Bright Checking - for those who intend to set up direct deposit for a paycheck or other regular deposit. Includes a $12/month maintenance fee, but there are ways to avoid it.
  • Elite Gold - designed for those who have a mortgage or other high-balance account with BB&T. Requires a $30 monthly maintenance fee but it can be waived if certain restrictions are met.
  • Student Checking - perfect for a student who wants stress-free checking with no minimum balance requirement. There is no monthly maintenance fee.
  • Senior Checking - specifically for those who are at least 55 years old, want free checks and easily-waived maintenance fees. There is a $10 monthly maintenance fee, however there are ways to avoid having to pay it.

Saving Account Options

There are also two different types of savings accounts available to those that bank with BB&T. Similar to the varying checking account, each savings account is designed to benefit a specific consumer and comes with its own benefits and restrictions. Both of the BB&T savings account include combined statements, online banking, mobile banking and account alerts. The accounts are broken down as follows:

• BB&T eSavings: designed for clients looking for competitive interest rates. There is no minimum deposit and interest is compounded daily.
  • Investor's Deposit Account: this account meets the needs of investors seeking premium interest rates. There is a minimum deposit requirement of $10,000 and interest is compounded in a tiered system with premium money market rates compounded daily.

For those looking for investment options, BB&T offers a wide range of services that are almost guaranteed to help individuals save for retirement or other milestones. Consumers can plan accordingly and make sure that they are staying on track to their specific savings goals.

The Bad

• Limited insurance
  • Limited availability
  • Monthly maintenance fee

Limited Insurance

For those who wish to purchase insurance can do so through BB&T. However, the insurance services are not FDIC-insured, nor are they guaranteed by the bank. The insurance is also not backed by any state or federal government agency. Also, the insurance may go down in value over time.

Limited Availability

BB&T's service can only be found in sixteen states across the U.S. This eliminates a large portion of the nation's population and is therefore not an option for a number of prospective consumers. Those who wish to bank with BB&T will need to reside in one of the following states:

• Alabama
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

Monthly Maintenance Fee

The majority of BB&T accounts require some sort of monthly maintenance fee. While some accounts have stipulations that can be met in order to avoid this charge, that is not an option for all account types. These monthly maintenance fees can typically be found on the basic forms of banking and consumers should be aware of these charges.

The Bottom Line

BB&T offers a number of the standard banking and lending services that are common within the industry, but they provide several options that are designed to help each consumer get the most out of their banking experience. Those that bank with BB&T can expect the following from the service:

1. Variety of checking and savings accounts to choose from
  2. Individualized and personal attention on investing endeavors
  3. Options for all types of consumer situations
  4. Limited service availability
  5. Monthly maintenance charges on accounts

3.3

Shurley, John
August 17th, 2018 Lakeland, FL DETAILS

I opened up a checking account in Jan 2018. I am newly single from being married 35 years and am learning how to budget. Anyways, long story short, BB&T does not show transactions until it's too late, charge 12.50 for transfer from saving to checking if overdrawn, and poor customer service. Yes, I know I can do better but it seems they have left me by myself at the helm to keep clear of rocks by not answering simple questions. From what I'm seeing on my online statement, they are applying all the bigger transactions before allowing the smaller ones go through, then applying any deposits (in that order), thereby creating a loophole in hopes the account gets overdrawn. Bam!! They are benefiting themselves by charging me overdraft fees. If they would let things go as they happen, this wouldn't be an issue. Changing banks!! Stay away from this one!!!

DL Saunier
August 13th, 2018 Mobile, AL DETAILS

Someone used my debit card info to make an unauthorized purchase. I spoke to Delia (sp?) told me there was no need to open a claim bc the charge would fall off because we caught it so fast. 3 days later it posted & I have multiple overdraft fees. When I called BB&T back they asked why I did not file a claim, at that point I was livid. Since then I opened a claim with the merchant who accepted the transaction and filed a police report. BB&T basically said they could not confirm that I would get the funds back and even if I did it would not be anytime soon. This will be the second time this year I have overdrafts that are BB&T’s fault. I am closing my account and going to PNC, because they have customer service skills.

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

We use BB&T bank for our mortgage accounts and have found that when we are speaking to a representative they are extremely helpful, but their website is a little hard to navigate and is definitely not user-friendly in comparison to others. They do provide lots of useful services though.

Francesca Gaul
July 27th, 2018 Key West, FL DETAILS

I have been banking there for 10 years a business checking account and have never had a check that I deposited bounce but If I am overdrawn they put ridiculous holds on the checks (I2-16 days) and I work for banks so the checks are actually directly from other banks. Once that's done they send back all my payments charging me 36.00 for each and by the time the checks clear- I'm overdrawn again. I am running from them. I don't mind the overdrafts I mind that they will attempt them over and over again knowing the money isn't there. I read a review that a sadistic CEO must have taken over DITTO (They actually put a hold on a check after we were evacuated for a hurricane which severely damaged my home, I wasn't her to deposit so account was overdrawn. Seriously??????JUST WRONG

Taylor Brown
June 28th, 2018 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

DO NOT BANK HERE! This bank steals from you! They will hit you with 8 overdraft fees for the same transaction even if you overdrafted by $5! One transaction for me turned into 5 overdraft fees! When I overdrafted by $1! Their system purposely hides transactions so theh can give you overdraft fees. Customer service is terrible and they don’t even help with anything.

Tim Fullmer
June 13th, 2018 Oak Island, NC DETAILS

The bank personnel are knowledgeable,helpful &frindly

frank black
June 13th, 2018 DETAILS

sometimes none of there office personnel are present and I and others complain and request a solution to the Sun blocking the readability of the outside ATM screen. An awning or some other sun blocking device needs to be installed.

Robert Hall
June 13th, 2018 Pinehurst, NC DETAILS

Great cusrtomer service and pleasant atmosphere.

Jordan Keck
June 6th, 2018 Iona, ID

BB&T has made having a Mortgage simple! So easy to make my monthly payments, and any question that I ever have is answered quickly and professionally by their amazing customer service!

Ivette
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Everytime I go to my bank the ATM is either down or something wrong with it.

Agnes
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Friendly Service and remembering you when entering the lobby.

Leslie Fitzgerald
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

This bank has too many fees associated with their accounts.

Erik Wilhide
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Haven't had any real issues with them. The tellers are always nice and helpful

Edward & Mary Wilson
May 7th, 2018 DETAILS

Too many fees, poorly presented statements

Donn Carr

Customer Service - No hidden gotcha fees like BofA

Robert Samuelson
May 7th, 2018 DETAILS

Whenever I've had an issue that required the assistance of a bank, they've helped me solve it, in a timely manner.

Vicki A Michaels
May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Bank is fine, but not close to my house.

Randy
January 22nd, 2018 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

I've been banking with BB&T since 2006 (the only bank I've ever used) and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU LEAVE IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. They were awesome at first, not one complaint until 2017. A sociopathic CEO must have taken over because they have become extremely predatory. First of all, transactions do not show up on your account until several days afterwards. In the meantime, they don't reflect on your available balance, so it causes confusion. I admit I could take more care in balancing my "check book," but this was NEVER an issue with BB&T before. I used to pay a bill, refresh my online banking page, and immediately see the charge there. The big issue is overdraft fees. Their Overdraft Protection is an absolute joke. First, if your checking account doesn't cover a transaction, they use your savings account to make up the difference. Sounds like a great idea. Very caring of BB&T...NOPE. What they literally never tell you anywhere on their site, is that they charge you $12.50 TO USE YOUR OWN MONEY every time that happens. Second, even though I have it set to decline all transactions if I don't have the money, the fees still keep coming! So all told, every overdraft costs $48.50. Outrageous. I had a really hard financial year last year, and being hit with over $1000 in fees makes it nearly impossible to recover. I'm leaving and won't look back. Do not consider using them. Because they WILL use you.

Kimberly Bronson
December 11th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

We have our home loan through BB&T and have great communication and no problems whatsoever. I am very pleased.