Esurance is an Allstate brand that has been a popular company for auto insurance and for customers who travel outside of the U.S. to Mexico and Canada. One of the initial selling points of the company was that it offered comparison quotes on its website, allowing consumers to compare rates with other major insurance companies. Since then, many other insurance companies have begun offering comparison quotes. Allstate acquired Esurance in 2011, and it now offers homeowner's insurance and health insurance.
- Coverage features
- File/track claims
- Medical Payments Coverage protects the policyholder and others in the vehicle for medical expenses incurred during an accident, including funeral expenses.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) helps cover medical expenses, and often times lost wages, for the policyholder and any passengers hurt in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. This type varies greatly by state, with 15 states being mandatory, according to a Feb 2015 article posted by the Insurance Information Institute.
- Comprehensive Coverage is to cover such events as natural disasters, theft, and vandalism, which cause damage to the insured vehicle.
- Collision Coverage is to assist the policyholder if they have caused an accident. This type covers repairs and damages to the vehicle. When paired with Comprehensive, it would amount to "full-coverage."
- Emergency Roadside Service Coverage (ERS), also known as towing and labor coverage, is protection for towing services and other related roadside service fees. It's important to remember that even with "Full-Coverage" towing services are not included, which is why this could be a beneficial add-on to the policy. This type requires consumers to have Collision Coverage first.
- Rental Car Coverage provides a means to get a rental when the covered vehicle is in the shop for covered repairs. In order to qualify for this coverage, the vehicle must be insured with Comprehensive and Collision Coverage.
- Loan/Lease Gap Coverage covers some, if not all, of the difference in the depreciated value of the vehicle should it be declared a "total loss" for any given reason. This type of policy would be great to consider for those who have recently purchased a new car.
- Customized Parts and Equipment Coverage is for those who have added personal value to their vehicles on items not limited to stereo systems, GPS monitors, wheels, and custom paint. For those who have a lot of time and money put into their stock vehicles, this type of coverage may be imperative to include in the policy.
- Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD) are mandatory in all states, each with their minimum standard, other than FL, which only requires PD and in the state of NH, which only mandates Financial Responsibility Coverage. BI covers medical expenses and lost wages for injured drivers or passengers, while PD covers the repairs of damage to other vehicles or structures.
- Uninsured Motorist Liability pays for medical expenses and lost wages of the policy holder, authorized drivers and any passengers when the accident causing individual is uninsured.
- Underinsured Motorist Liability this is similar to Uninsured Liability, however, this covers what the at-fault driver's insurance does not.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Property Damage helps cover the policyholder's repairs if the at-fault driver is not covered, or does not have enough coverage to pay for damages.
A few examples include an anti-theft discount for customers who use anti-theft devices in their vehicles, a good student discount for students with good grades, an anti-lock brakes discount and a homeowner's discount. There is also a discount for policyholders who are members of a roadside assistance organization like AAA. There is even a Pac-12 discount for students who attend certain Pac-12 universities (examples being University of Arizona, University of Utah and University of Oregon). All of these discount options provide plenty of opportunities to reduce premiums, which is good considering the initial rates are only average.
- Fast 5
- Switch & Save
- Renter Plus
- Emergency Road Assistance
- Online Shopper
- Defensive Driver
- Good driver
- Good student
- Safety device
- Antilock brakes
The website guarantees up front that they settle claims in 10 days or less. This is an impressive boast, but they seem to keep to their word. Widespread anecdotal evidence certainly backs this up, with hundreds of customer reviews across numerous websites praising them for their claim response time. Claims may be submitted and tracked over the phone, online or by using the company's mobile app.
- Cancelled politices
- Online-only company
- Maintenance not covered
Despite offering an impressive array of discounts on insurance policies, there are hundreds and hundreds of complaints across the web from former policyholders about their insurance policies getting canceled after just a single minor accident. Many others complain about premiums being increased by 10 percent or more after a single minor accident, even despite decades of prior safe driving. These kinds of complaints are widespread, and there many of them even on the company's own website. One wonders if perhaps the company is not offsetting the vast number of discounts they offer by being quick to take them away or even end policies altogether.
With the company's focus on internet convenience (a focus that they carry out very effectively), it should be noted that some consumers prefer to interact mostly or exclusively with an agent face to face. Some people also prefer to get paper statements that they can file. For those kinds of people, Esurance is probably not the best way to go.
Maintenance Not Covered
Finally, it must be pointed out that routine vehicle maintenance does not seem to be covered, nor will any personal possessions stored inside the vehicle be covered should anything happen.
The Bottom Line
Overall, Esurance is a great company for people who are chiefly interested in convenience. You can handle almost all of your business online, so if that appeals to you, then Esurance is an excellent choice. They don't offer the lowest rates, however, so if you are just looking to save money, there are many competitors offering lower coverage rates. Though Esurance doesn't have the widest array of coverage options, they do offer an impressive number of discounts.
Most people should be able to take advantage of at least a few of the discount options, which will reduce their premium. Many customers have complained online that discounts are too easy to lose, so beware. Overall, Esurance comes highly recommended for their convenience, discounts and commitment to environmental responsibility.