Auto-Owners.com Logo

Auto-Owners.com

Is This Your Business?

5.5

Auto-Owners.com is the web presence of a clearinghouse of independent insurance brokers. They were founded in 1916 and have been providing financial services products since. The company is comprised of five property and casualty companies, paired with an annuity and life/health insurer. The company is headquartered in Lansing, Michigan. Prospective policyholders enter their information and receive a series of quotes based upon this information. Coverages vary greatly by the policyholder's state of residence.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts

Coverage Features

The following coverages are available for policyholders with Auto-Owners.com, but specific limits and coverages vary greatly between states as well as the company which holds the insurance policy.
  • Bodily Injury
  • Rental car expenses
  • Road Trouble Service
  • Collision

Service Coverage

While the company does not write policies for residents of all 50 states, they cover more states than many smaller companies. Auto insurance coverage is available for residents of the following 26 states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Discounts

Dependent on the policy and the company which it is written as well as the state in which a policyholder lives, they may be eligible for one of the following discounts:
  • Accident foregivness
  • Age 55 and over
  • Accident prevention course
  • Reduced usage
  • Payment plans

The Bad

• Price range
  • File/track claims

Price Range

Auto-Owners.com has not disclosed pricing information.

File/Track Claims

Users may not file or track claims on Auto-Owners.com, but depending on which company that the customer selects via their independent agents, file and tracking claims may be available online.

The Bottom Line

There is a significant key feature which is missing from the grading criteria, when reviewing and recommending Auto-Owners.com - the price quote. This ultimately hurts the company's rating, but is not as serious as some other possible voids. Being that the company offers products and referrals to local independent insurance agencies, it is not always clear with whom a prospective customer will be purchasing a policy. Not being sure about the specifics of a policy has its drawbacks.

Matt Jordan Helena, AL

Let me first disclose that I am an independent insurance agent. Auto-Owners is by far better than any other car insurance company out there from a claims standpoint. Their underwriting process is much more stringent than other companies. This process will eliminate high risk drivers from being insured with the company. This allows them to keep rates stable and even lower rates at a time when most are going up. If you want a company that will be there when you need them. Then Auto-Owners is the company you want to be with!

Pamela B Fairmount, GA

I had a large tornado damsge my home, my adjuster for AO assigned an Independent Adjuster to provide the damage estimate to AO, but he didn't show up on the 1st appointment. The second appointment he brought his buddy who was a contractor who brought 2 Hispanic guys I think he picked up on his way. They didnt have any water with them and no lunch and were afraid of Heights they tarp they put up blew off the same night. The IA had recommended his for the job. The IA wrote a repair estimate that was no where near amount needed. AO sent an engineer who said the house had not moved but he didnt do any measuring or drop any plumb lines, I hired and Engineer and he spent hours documenting the damage, I used the appraisal clause and was awarded total of $ 109,000. for the repairs. They initially paid me $ 47,000.00. They sre the worst company ever (or the IA is the worst) either way they may appear to have good rates, I assure you they will cost you 10 times more if you have a claim.

Rick

Auto-Owners is basically a decent company. I've only ever had one or two minor claims and their processing speed was commendable. If their rates wouldn't climb every six months I'd have given them five stars.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

Great insurance company that will get you the best insurance package that you can within your price range. They also offer renters insurance as well as life insurance but they are very basic packages so if you take any prescribed medication then you probably won't be able to get the life insurance.

Alex Danielson Riverton, UT

We currently have Auto-Owners insurance for our house and vehicles. I'm cheap so I love their prices! We haven't had any claims yet, but so far, the service has been great. No complaints so far.

Rory Henrie Pleasant Grove, UT

I used to have Auto Owners insurance on my business vehicles. I didn't ever have to make a claim to see how that worked but I always got a fair price and coverage and never had to worry about anything like that. They dropped me as they quit covering my type of industry for vehicle insurance and liability insurance. Otherwise I would probably still be insured by them.

Melissa Reinoso Herriman, UT

I have loved working with this company. They have great customer service and are always so friendly when you call. They have been so great to work with for our business, I don't think we will ever change companies now.

Sam Zytcer

Excellent. Promp and efficient and convenient service that was available directly through the Toyota dealer.

Gary H.

This is an excellent insurance carrier that I represent as an independent agent. They offer very competitive rates, and do a great job on their claims service.

Thelma Willett

The rates are affordable with better coverage than my previous car insurance company

Darren Cardwell

Easy to deal with when you have a claim. Best price around.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

We currently use them for our auto insurance. They were easy to use when we needed to set up a tow to the repair shop.

Taylor Siren Gilbert, AZ

Low rates and amazing help from the staff make Auto Owners an amazing insurance company.

Susan Dayton, OH

They are easy to work with and their rates are great.

Jewell

Excellent rates for low risk drivers and home owners.

Harvey Salevski

Great rates, great service and availabilty

Ricky Iron River, MI

Good pricing. Agents easy to deal with.