PrepScholar Logo

6.1

LAST UPDATED: September 13th, 2021

PrepScholar is one of the most widely searched test preparation companies. They were founded by Allen Cheng and Fred Zhang, both of whom received perfect scores on the SAT in 2013. PrepScholar focuses on helping students ace the SAT. They offer online courses and tutoring for both the ACT and SAT.

The Good

• Customized Instruction
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Customer Support

Customized Instruction

At the beginning of each course, students take a diagnostic test to discern their ability level. This unique prep program caters to the needs of each student. Students then receive step-by-step instructions, so they know exactly what to study and can easily review their mistakes. They also receive weekly reports to track their progress. Those needing additional assistance can also add one-on-one tutoring to their course.

Tutoring services offer two plans: Plan A is focused more heavily on tutor instruction, while Plan B requires more self study. All tutoring services include access to the online program.

Money-Back Guarantee

Both the ACT and SAT courses offer a five-day risk-free trial. Dissatisfied customers can request a refund; it is important to note that any used portion of tutoring packages cannot be refunded. Tutoring services do have a one-hour guarantee. Once a customer has tried tutoring for an hour he or she can cancel and receive a full refund.

In addition, PrepScholar offers a point increase money-back guarantee. They guarantee scores will increase 240+ points (up to 2300+) on the SAT and 4+ points (up to 34+) on the ACT. These guarantees include certain requirements, such as finishing the course and a prior score received before taking the course.

Customer Support

PrepScholar advertises free technical support. Customers can contact a purchase question hotline or email the company. They also offer a helpful FAQs page and have a clear, easy-to-use website.

The Bad

• Only SAT and ACT Preparation Courses
  • High Tutoring Prices
  • Only Online Courses
  • Time In Service

Only SAT Preparation Courses

PrepScholar specialized in SAT and ACT preparation courses. This may be advantageous for customers seeking courses for these test; however, customers seeking courses for other tests will have to research other companies.

High Tutoring Prices

The price for both online courses is $397. This price is reasonable for the test preparation industry; however, their tutoring services are much more expense than competitors. Tutoring services include the online course and range from $995 to $6,995.

Only Online Courses

PrepScholar only offers online courses. They do not offer any in-person or online live sessions. Their tutoring services are completed over the Internet through Skype or Google Hangouts.

Time In Service

PrepScholar is a very new company, one of the newest in the industry. Customers looking for more established companies will want to seek out other options.

The Bottom Line

PrepScholar offers customized SAT and ACT preparation courses. These courses are designed to meet the needs of individuals. All courses are performed online and allow flexibility for busy students. We recognize PrepScholar as a good SAT and ACT online prep company. Their price is more affordable than many competitors.

However, those looking for an inexpensive program should look at other companies. Their tutoring services are also more expensive than competitors, so we recommend seeking other options for tutors. PrepScholar only offers SAT and ACT prep courses so customers looking for other tests will need to seek out other options.

3.2

Lisa E Tampa, FL

I am so disappointed with this program. I bought it to help my son who initially scored a 1380 on the SAT. Although PrepScholar supposedly guarantee a 160 point increase, I would honestly have been happy with 100 points. After over 50 hours of use (plus 30 hours with Khan) with almost every module going from Core to Advanced or Mastery level, my son scored a 1390. A 10 point increase from his previous (without PrepScholar) score!!! This is a joke, right? Not only has his range not changed 1 iota (the range for this type of score is anything from 1350 to 1430) but bearing in mind the amount of time he invested in Prep Scholar and the skills that the program indicate he acquired, I would've expected at least a bump into the next range and would've been happy with any score over 1480. It is difficult to communicate with anyone on this platform however when I phoned about it, was told I would only become eligible for a refund if my son reached Mastery level on every module and still had the same results so apparently you have to dig for this information unlike the very prominent guarantee. Sadly he is in his Senior year and currently has a full plate with 5 APs and a very rigorous elective that should be getting his full and undue attention. Interesting that there are no negative testimonials on PrepScholar's website which to me are far more honest and allow the prospective purchaser to evaluate a product more truthfully. Garbage. NOT impressed.

Reem E Trenton, NJ

Prepscholar was honestly the best choice I made when it came to studying for the SAT. I took a Princeton Review course the summer before my junior year planning to take the SAT in October. The course was not helpful at all for me as it wasn’t personalized to what I needed to work and focus on. Even after the course, I had to do a list of self studying to bring my practice test score up. In October, I got a 1430. This was pretty good for a first score, but I really wanted above a 1500 to stand out. In April, I found I PrepScholar. I called several times and they answered very quickly, trying to get all the info I can on their course. I completed the course within a month, ready for the May SAT. Keep in mind, you should probably give yourself about two months to complete the course, as it requires a lot of self dedication and motivation to complete. However, once I did, I got a 1570!!!! I would definitely recommend the course as it is customized, cost-effective, and easiest to use and understand.

Debbie Lincolnton, NC

Our experience with Prep Scholar was excellent...and we are NOT employees, friends, or such as mentioned in previous reviews. What was most helpful was the customized plan based off of the diagnostic test. This program is definitely geared toward self motivated students or students who have someone at home urging them to put in the time. A suggestion for improvement would be the option of a live team of tutors for students who are still stuck on a certain concept, but not needing full tutoring. Example: purchase 1 hour of live help that could be used on an as needed basis...10 minutes here, 15 minutes there, etc We actually would like to commend the customer service! Although it would be VERY NICE to be able to call or chat versus having to wait for an email response, they always answered within 24 hours, and most requests or questions were answered the same day if it was early enough in the day. In addition, they offered discounts if you had multiple family members using the program or if you purchased the SAT and then decided to add the ACT or vice versa. They were prompt in issuing the credit to our credit card once discount verification was complete. As far as their money back guarantee, they DID honor it for the ACT program quickly once proof of scores were reviewed. In addition, they offer the 5 day FREE trial period which gives you full access to the program for a realistic experience to see if it is a good fit for the student. Another suggestion would be the option to retake quizzes for all areas even if they were skills that had been mastered. When prepping far in advance of test dates, it would be nice to quiz again over material that was covered months earlier...just as a refresher. Our daughter put in the time, completed the full programs, and earned excellent scores! We purchased both the SAT and ACT Prep and we will use them again when our next daughter is ready to begin prep.

Aspen F Manhattan, MT

Although i am not familiar with their way of operating in customer service, i have used the ACT prep program since june of this year. After studying for about 4 months (only a couple hours each week), i raised my score from a 24 to a 28. What i appreciate the most is that they try to use all three methods of learning (auditory, visual, and kinesthetic) in order to help you obtain the information. they also adjust the complexity/broadness of a course so that if you are a beginner in a skill, they include beginner's information. There are three practice tests you may take to get an estimate of your new score. All in all, the program is great for independent studiers who simply need practice.

Austin Che Chicago, IL

We had a good experience with PrepScholar. It's an online program that was really convenient for my daughter who had way too many activities as a junior. They have thousands of questions, videos, and good answer explanations. My daughter felt she got what she wanted from it and improved her ACT score by 4 points in addition to her own research using books from the library. It's not as personal as hiring a tutor but it's a lot less expensive and in our experience about as good.

Raina Flatley Montclair, NJ

I thought PrepScholar was a pretty good program. My son improved his SAT score by 130 points and that was enough for the schools we're interested in. It does require the student to be motivated, since there isn't a teacher goading the student into studying everyday. Customer support was done by email, usually we got a response within the day, it was enough for what we needed and we didn't have any technical issues.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I used this site for some of my Act prep and honestly it boosted my math score! The test questions are good and it gives explanations that make sense!

S Andover, MA

My son is an active user. He has been in the program for 10 months and spent over 100 hours. He has taken 5 practice exams. His math score is up 160 points and reading/writing is up about 60 points. You will get out of it what you put into it. Online support is poor. They will answer emails, but just using the party line. They did re-set some sections for me at my request, so that was helpful. The program's interface is average at best. This is odd since prepscholar publishes tons of information online. I tract the data myself in excel and create much better charts than Prepscholar used. This is a missed opportunity on their part. My biggest current complaint is related to Covid-19. SATs have been delayed and my son's one year program will run out a few months before the test. This is unanticipated due to SAT cancellations. I asked for an extension and they want $300 for another year. Ridiculous! Where is the empathy and good corporate citizenship? Extend the kids that got caught in the Covid-19 cross-fire and get some good press. The program is online, so the cost to Prescholar would be nothing. I was previously a major proponent of the program, but now I am more than a little irked. All in all, I would say the program is good but not great. The concept makes perfect sense, and I endorse it because it is cheap, self-paced, and on-line. I wonder if they listen to their customers, and if they are investing in the program at all.

Jeremy Muench Tampa, FL

With COVID, we delayed our son taking the SAT. After 12 months, they terminated access while a fixed term is not listed on the website or the welcome letter. DON'T USE PREPSCHOLAR!

Kimberly Freitas Redwood City, CA

We used the online only services of PrepScholar (not tutoring). All the marketing materials make a strong case for advanced materials that students should commit to 50 hours to fully take advantage of the material. My students (2) essentially maxed out of the materials (ie achieved 'mastery' in the Prep Scholar system) after <15 hours each. After you take a module one time and still need improvement, you are tested again in the same area -- but the second test is highly repetitive of the first test. The content is quite limited. Students who are of moderate competency at the material don't get much value out of the online materials, there simply is not enough content, variety or depth. When I gave the company feedback they would only correspond in email, not by phone and only canned responses from a first level support person. They declined to interact or to consider that their product advertising is misleading and their product of low value for certain types of students

Duan Las Vegas, NV

My opinions , customized training of the program have been mixed throughout the year, but altogether I think that it is an effective preparation option for the SAT reasoning test.

Tim Billups San Jose, CA

We signed up for the course for our daughter and then COVID caused all SAT tests to cancel in Northern California making it impossible to take the test. We asked if we could get a partial credit or transfer the subscription to our son next year when tests resume. We were told no. They suggested we continue the program and take the test AFTER the college apps are done and gone if we want to get a refund for not getting a guaranteed 160 improvement. They said that since you have a 2nd child we give you a $40 discount if you pay the fee again... Yeah sure...

Andrea Kailua, HI

If I could give the company 0 starts I would. Never been more dissatisfied with ANY purchase in my life. Customer service is unavailable after you spend hundreds of dollars. The software does not load and we just spent 2 days trying their "troubleshooting" which is an automated canned response. They haven't answered our initial inquiries from 2+ days ago. Horrible, horrible service and the product doesn't work.

Jennifer Boulder City, NV

Horrible. Look at all the one scores they have. Then a bunch of fake 5 reviews by employees and friends. Absolutely no human service. Try to call or email and speak to someone before you purchase. You will see ! Once they have your money it’s all over. The guarantee would never be honored.

Bob Chicken Corning, NY

We have quite disappointing experience. The materials in tests are easier than in real test. Promise about money back is not real.