Prep Expert was founded by Shaan Patel, who grew up attending an inner-city public school and developed study habits that improved his SAT score from average to perfect. Patel went on to found 2400 Expert to help other students prepare for college entrance exams. But after appearing on Shark Tank and partnering with Mark Cuban, the company was rebranded as Prep Expert. The company aims to help students change their lives by improving their scores on the SAT, ACT, and GMAT.  Additionally, Prep Expert offers one-on-one private tutoring sessions and college admissions consulting. They offer a 3-week, 6-week, weekend review, and self-paced courses online and 6-week in person courses across the United States.

3.7
Magoosh chevron_right
Barron's Test Prep chevron_right

The Good

• Course Options
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Free Class

Course Options

Prep Expert offers several course options for SAT and ACT and GMAT preparation. Customers can purchase a self-paced video course, which includes 30-hours of videos, ebooks, and practice exams. They also offer 3-week and 6-week online courses where students participate in a scheduled live virtual classroom; these courses also include ebooks and practice exams. In addition, they offer in-person courses in several cities across the United States.

Further, customers who want a one-on-one experience can sign up for private tutoring. Tutoring sessions are two hours long. These sessions are taught by the same instructors who teach in-person courses. Customers can purchase 4, 8, 16, 24, 36 and 48-hour packages. In addition to ACT and SAT tutoring, students can also receive tutoring for AP exams.

Finally, students who need a review can sign up for a review camp. These courses take place on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time through a live online virtual classroom.

Money-Back Guarantee

Prep Expert offers a variety of money-back guarantees on the majority of their course offerings.

Their 6-week live online and in-person SAT courses offer an industry leading 200 point score improvement guarantee if your starting score is 1250 or less. For those students whose scores are 1260 and above, Prep Expert guarantees an increase up to 1450. For the 3-week live online and in-person SAT courses, they offer a 100 point score improvement guarantee if your starting score is 1350 or less. For those students whose scores are 1360 and above, Prep Expert guarantees an increase up to 1450.

ACT courses offer a similar guarantee. Students that have a 28 or less as their starting score are guaranteed to increase 4 points and those with starting scores of 29 or above are guaranteed to increase to a 32. Their 3-week live online and in-person ACT courses come with a 2 point score improvement guarantee if your starting score is 30 or less. For those students whose scores are 31 and above, Prep Expert guarantees an increase up to a 32.

Free Class

Prep Expert offers a free webinar presented by Shaan Patel. This class discusses how to raise scores, receive scholarships, and offer advice for applying to college.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • Limited Availability of On-Site Classes
  • Limited Courses Offered

High Prices

Though Prep Expert guarantees results, their prices are much higher than some competitors:

• Private Tutoring: starting at $699 for 4 hours
  • Self-paced: $799
  • 6-week online: $1099
  • 6-week in-person: $1399
  • Review camp: $499

Limited Availability of On-Site Classes

On-site classes are only available in several location. Customers who do not live near these locations must rely on online courses. On-site classes are available in the following cities:

• Las Vegas, NV
  • Orange County, CA
  • Princeton, NJ
  • Washington D.C.

Private tutoring sessions are available online for students who do not live near one of these locations.

Limited Courses Offered

Prep Expert only offers courses in ACT, SAT, and GMAT preparation. This specialization may make them desirable for customers seeking courses for these tests; however, customers who are preparing for any other test will have to seek other companies with more course offerings. They do offer a variety course types, such as live online, in person, tutoring and college admissions consulting.

The Bottom Line

Prep Expert offers a variety of choices for high school students seeking to achieve high scores on the ACT or SAT. They offer a score guarantee, which should come as a relief to repeat test-takers. Customers have a variety of options to meet their specific learning needs; however, their prices are much higher than some competitors. Customers interested in self-paced courses can find many less expensive options. We recommend looking at other companies before purchasing Prep Expert’s self-paced courses.

That being said, Prep Expert’s private tutoring and in-person sessions may be worth the price to customers who are serious about improving their ACT or SAT score. Before considering in-person classes make sure they are available in your area. Customers seeking preparation courses for tests other than the SAT, ACT, or GMAT will need to look at other companies.

3.7

Callahan camp
August 23rd, 2019 Merced, CA DETAILS

Prep expert is a great way to get your sat scores up. Prep expert has increased my skills to be able to break down questions to get the right answers. I would really really think you should take this course. It is Guaranteed that you will be able to increase your score.

Ria M.
August 22nd, 2019 Downingtown, PA DETAILS

I would highly recommend Prep Expert’s class! I took the six-week flagship course with Clay C, and it definitely helped improve my score. I was already scoring pretty high coming into the course, but Prep Expert’s strategies helped me score even higher. Clay was incredibly funny, which made class very enjoyable, and it was clear that he really knew what he was talking about in terms of the strategies and how to game the SAT. He was helpful in answering our questions (as were TAs Kevin and Pranav) and motivated us to score high on the SAT. The workload is a significant amount, but I would say that it is needed in order to see actual improvements in your score. It definitely helped that I took the course over the summer! Loved Clay and would recommend his Prep Expert course to anyone looking to improve their SAT score!

Justin
August 20th, 2019 Saint James, NY DETAILS

The course was absolutely great and it helped me improve 100 points on my SAT and I was able to get a full refund after the course. The course was interactive and it was fun and it made the SAT easier. Definitely recommend for everyone.

Rizwan
May 16th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

My experience with prep expert went rather well. The instructor was very helpful and took her time teaching us while making sure to ask us a ton of questions. The guarantee they give is actually something they stand behind and follow through with. I missed the guarantee by 40 points on the actual SAT and was given a full refund. I would recommend it to others based on my experience.

Sydney Tischler
March 20th, 2019 Denton, TX DETAILS

I took the Prep Expert SAT prep class the summer going into my senior year of high school, and I don't regret it one bit. My teacher was wonderful and even offered contact information if we wanted extra help outside of class. The website and the study materials were easy to access, and the company as a whole was very quick at responding to emails and concerns. There is a 200 point increase guarantee, and a refund is promised if you do not reach that point increase. I did not reach the 200 point increase on the SAT I took upon completing the class, and I emailed customer service at Prep Expert and they were very helpful at explaining the refund process. I did receive a refund for the class without any complications. I highly recommend taking this class due to the amazing staff and study materials!

Aniruddh Chandrasekhar
March 19th, 2019 Lithia, FL DETAILS

My experience with Prep Expert was one of the best I've ever had with a company. To start, their customer service was excellent and their friendly staff was always willing to answer my questions. Furthermore, their SAT preparation material is top-notch and I truly appreciate their study tips and essay corrections. I would recommend this great company to anyone looking for an SAT score improvement, as I truly feel that I have become a better student through this.

Mahi
March 15th, 2019 Fair Lawn, NJ DETAILS

The class was good, I got a 1440. Miguel C is really funny and he explains things really well. The class is a lot of work but it pays off in the end. The class gives problems that are harder than the actual SAT so that when you take the SAT it's way easier.

Abigail
March 15th, 2019 Columbia, MD DETAILS

My experience with PrepExpert was amazing. The strategies I learned were extremely helpful. When I finished my SAT I felt accomplished. I will never forget the CHUNK approach. I will always be greatful and I’m happy I made the decision to take this Prep course.

Joshua Alexis
March 13th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

Clay C was my instructor. This was a very good way to prepare for the SAT. Clay was an exceptional teacher for several methods and tricks for succeeding on the SAT. Although you have to get through rigorous assignments, it is worth it in the end when your score gets better. Clay was an awesome teacher due to his ability to teach well and make it enjoyable at the same time. The TA's in the class are awesome at answering questions and providing with useful studying materials. Also, the 200 point guarantee is really helpful if you do not achieve your goal score after the test.

Lauryn Grant
March 13th, 2019 Frisco, TX DETAILS

My experience was fantastic! My instructor was phenomal and the textbooks saved my life! The feedback was super helpful and no one could explain those difficult math questions like they could. Even though I didn’t get the 200 point increase it made me a much better test taker and I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their SAT scores and test taking abilities! I LOVED my experience with Prep Expert!

Miri Deahl
March 13th, 2019 Seguin, TX DETAILS

I took the SAT class and my score did not meet the garuntee, however my score did increase 60 points along with my essay which increased 10 points.

Anant
October 5th, 2018 Frisco, TX DETAILS

The 200 score improvement guarantee is a Marketing Gimmick (read the fine print). Score did not improve from first practice test to last practice test from their own course/curriculum, but they refused to refund the money (because of their terms and conditions). VERY BAD EXPERIENCE. Did NOT expect this from a Shark Tank and Mark Cuban Company.

jen
September 25th, 2018 Ames, IA DETAILS

Poor communication. I signed up with a specific teacher and it was switched. They failed to reach out and inform me of the change and did not refund even before the second class started. Prep Expert is underdeveloped and unprofessional. If you contact Prep Expert by phone call, you can hear the disorganization in the background. I only gave PrepExpert a try because of overall good reviews on this certain teacher that I was not able to receive. Ultimately, I was better off self-studying. I did attend a few classes since I was not refunded, and I am disappointed at the amount of wasted time in the class session. The class is 3 hours long and twice a week for this certain SAT prep class. Within the 3 hours, 1 hour is a slideshow with vocabulary words and their definitions. Another hour and a half is spent reviewing the easiest questions which the tutor takes a long time to answer. If you are a student, you don't have 3 hours to spare for slow lectures! Prep Expert is truly time wasted.

Wendy
December 27th, 2017 Muskego, WI DETAILS

Customer Service was the worst I have ever dealt with. I would never deal with this company again, even if they offered the services for free. For a company that is highly publicized, I am very unhappy. Upon asking questions, I feel I was talked down upon, and then when I finally had enough, I was told they would only refund 1/2 of my payment. I definitely would not buy into the hype of this company. It will be a very costly mistake!!!

Katy
September 22nd, 2017

My daughter spent hours and hours doing the online class and her score went from a 1320-1370. I was denied my refund because she did not complete the essays. We were never interested in the essay portion of the test. The essay does not affect the standardized score! It is a totally separate measurement. This company is a scam. There is always a loophole in the "money back guarantee". DONT TAKE THIS COURSE!!!! IT IS A SCAM!!!!!