Magoosh is an online test preparation company that offers affordable study programs and apps for the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, and Praxis. The company aims to make it easier for all students, regardless of income level, to reap the benefits of advanced education through affordable, accessible, and effective test prep materials. The exam preparation materials are available online and on mobile devices. Magoosh has notable program metrics including:

• 300 million practice questions answered
  • 9 million hours of video watched
  • Study flashcards flipped through over a billion times
  • Used in 185 countries
  • Average score increase ~8 points on the GRE and ~60 points on the GMAT

The Good

• Affordable Test Preparation
  • High Quality Study Materials
  • Intuitive Dashboard
  • Targeted Study Schedules
  • 24/7 Student Support
  • Score Improvement Guarantee

Affordable Test Preparation

With a core belief that all students should have access to effective test preparation material, Magoosh makes its material a fraction of the cost of traditional classes and tutors. The pricing provided for all of its test prep consistently beats Princeton Review, Kaplan, Manhattan Prep, Economist, and Veritas. Pricing and plan length depend on the test taken, but are located on the company's website for comparison.

High Quality Study Materials

Magoosh provides a large collection of resources and tools. In addition to its practice questions and video lessons, Magoosh provides a text and video explanation for each practice question. Although the material is online, students are still able to flag and/or take notes on each question if necessary. Full-length practice tests are included in the plans, as well as estimated score predictions for the GMAT, GRE, ACT, and MCAT.

To make studying even more convenient for busy students, Magoosh offers several apps, including on-the-go test prep and its popular Vocabulary Builder. The Magoosh Vocabulary Chrome Extension is a free tool that allows students to build their vocabulary while browsing the web by a new word popping up each time users open a new browser tab. Magoosh’s Amazon Alexa skills include a vocabulary builder, spelling game, and kids spelling game.

Magoosh also offers free, high-quality information on tests and admissions through its test prep blogs that receive over 15 million visitors each year. The company also has Youtube channels for each test featuring free lessons from expert instructions that receive four million views each year.

Intuitive Dashboard

Magoosh offers an intuitive dashboard with its GRE, SAT, ACT, and Praxis study programs. The dashboard helps students keep track of progress by estimating scores, comparing studying pace with other students, and tracks learning. The smart review system allows students to review their performance based on time, difficulty, subject, or bookmarks so students optimize studying time.

Targeted Study Schedules

Magoosh provides carefully crafted study schedules that accommodate varying study times and skills so students can optimize their studying. These study schedules range from one week, one month with either weekly or daily studying, to three or six month studying schedules. Schedules can also be adjusted to be math or verbally focused. The schedules can even specifically target advanced students trying to reach a near perfect score.

24/7 Student Support

Although Magoosh is an online test preparation company, it offers 24/7 support to students. While studying, if students get stuck or need extra help, they can email or use the chat support to receive help from a test prep expert. While there are limitations to how much the company can help any student, in most cases (Magoosh cites 99 percent of the time), the test prep experts are able to answer all questions students may have.

Score Improvement Guarantee

Magoosh offers score improvement guarantees for its courses. Its score guarantee for the GRE and GMAT is ambitious in that it offers a +5 points guarantee for the GRE and a +50 points guarantee for the GMAT. Competitors such as Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Manhattan prep only offer a +1 point guarantee for the GRE and GMAT.

Customers must follow specific guidelines to qualify for the score improvement guarantee. For example, customers must have taken the exam in the past five years before studying with Magoosh, watch all video lessons, and complete all practice questions. The score guarantee is different for each package; however, premium packages guarantee the following increases:

• GRE — 5 points
  • GMAT — 50 points
  • SAT: — 100 points
  • ACT — 4 points
  • LSAT — 5 points

Furthermore, Magoosh offers a seven-day money-back guarantee on all its courses. Customers who are dissatisfied for any reason can cancel via email, no strings attached. Certain tests also offer free trials.

The Bad

Only Online Self-Directed Courses

Magoosh only offers online self-directed courses. Customers seeking in-person or live online classes will need to use other companies.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Magoosh as a great option for many students, especially those that prefer to study at their own time and pace, those who learn better through watching videos rather than reading, and for busy students and professionals. Magoosh’s prices are much lower than many competitors and the company offers both a seven-day money-back guarantee and a score improvement guarantee. Magoosh's service may be especially desirable for repeat test takers trying to improve their score. The company also has a large collection of resources and tools. Students who want an in-person course will need to search for other options.

4.9

Vikti Mehta

November 23rd, 2020 Frisco, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh is very affordable and has many video lessons, practice tests, and questions for your test prep! I recommend it to anyone who wants to self study but also have the right resources to start.

Alec Yates

October 24th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved the writing practice! I know I couldn’t have score nearly as well as I did without Magoosh’s help on writing. The math section was very good at refreshing old concepts I had forgotten about.

Marcos

October 23rd, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thorough amount of resources, videos, explanations, quizzes, vocab, essay prompts... etc. Anything and everything you need for the GRE organized and consolidated into sections to study.

Bosede Ajiboye

October 23rd, 2020 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best company to use for GRE prep. Not expensive but efficient!!

Rebecca Cheng

October 21st, 2020 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think there are a lot of personal preferences when it comes to how someone studies, but Magoosh worked amazing for me. My sense is that they over-prepared me by giving me almost all extremely difficult problems at the beginning; for a while, I actually thought I was going to flunk the GRE! But after panicking for the first two months, I finally did a practice test and realized that I was right on track for my target goal. I was someone who used Magoosh as a Humanities-focused person, so I was really worried about the math. I would recommend Magoosh to someone who already knows they have strong writing skills and needs help with math and test structure for verbal.

Mo

October 20th, 2020 Providence, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh is super easy to use and helped me so much with my GRE studying. I'm a really bad at studying and test-taking, but Magoosh gave me confidence going into my exam. The videos and practice questions were super helpful! I definitely studied WAY more compared to the book studying I was doing before getting Magoosh. Also, their score calculations were spot on! I got exactly the score they estimated in my Quant section and I scored higher than my estimated score in Verbal. Also, it was great to track my progress and see how many practice problems I did and watch my score estimations go up the more I studied and practiced. As someone who doesn't have the money to spend but took a leap of faith to purchase Magoosh, I would highly recommend. It was well worth the price!

Olivia

October 20th, 2020 Radford, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh is fantastic - their customer service was so flexible with my individual needs and truly took the time to make sure that when offering help, they were doing their very best to take care of me. I would recommend to everyone!

Alesha

October 20th, 2020 Dubai, DU DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh was a great resource for me during my GRE prep - the questions and videos were extremely helpful and the customer support was extremely quick to respond and helpful if I ever had a question.

Pujun Bhatnagar

October 19th, 2020 Redwood City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Personally, I think I really benefited from using Magoosh to prepare for the GRE. The guided lessons, especially for English, were amazing. They were to the point and easy to follow. The Math curriculum was also really well structured and there was ample resources that really helped me prepare for the GRE. Would highly recommend.

Bethany Burns

October 19th, 2020 Signal Mountain, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used for GMAT prep -- best value out there. Following their study plan with videos and practice q's helped me achieve my goal score in only 3 months. Really happy with the product and would recommend to anyone.

Jordan Hyatt

October 19th, 2020 North Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Magoosh for the GRE, mostly to improve my Quantitative score. I went through all the practice questions twice, and even viewed a decent chunk of their videos. My score went from a 162 to a 167, so I am very happy with their program. I self-studied before, but doing that doesn't make you realize what you don't know. Magoosh was very good at rounding out all the potential topics and deeply ingraining how and why each mathematical concept worked. I would DEFINITELY recommend their services!

Shannon Gerdts

October 19th, 2020 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Magoosh as a study aid to help me prepare to take the GRE the summer of 2020. It was an amazing study tool!! The online format is super helpful and they keep track of all the work you have done. The lessons are thorough and provide both a broad and in depth understanding of the questions that will be on the test.

Florencia Angelica

October 19th, 2020 Leeds, LDS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Covers all the basics comprehensively. Gave me a solid foundation for my test. I think the verbal section in the actual test is easier than Magoosh. So on the actual test, I was well-prepared after going through the Magoosh content. I found the test and Magoosh quant questions to be somewhat different; again Magoosh builds up adequate building blocks in students to be able to answer accurately in the actual test.

Emilie Hendrickson

October 19th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh helped me improve my GRE to the point of my goal score. It improved me by 10 full points in math and 7 points in verbal. I highly recommend Magoosh to help with the GRE or any other test.

Hurditya

October 19th, 2020 Vancouver, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Magoosh platform has immensely helped me in increasing my GRE score. The quality of questions and the pre-made schedules make sure that you are prepared for even the toughest sections of the GRE, no matter if you have 1, 3 or more months for preparation.

Jose Ramirez

October 19th, 2020 Sparks, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used it for CRNA school. The GRE often deters most applicants, but Magoosh made preparation very structured and manageable. I recommend this program to everyone asking about how to take the GRE.

Neha Alex

October 19th, 2020 Spring, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Holds true to promised services and went above and beyond what I paid for. Provided quality service that holds up to the money I invested and helped me prepare well for my exam.

James Harris

October 19th, 2020 Rexburg, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh prepared me so well for the GRE! I exceeded my expectations and Magoosh helped me to accomplish this.

Alyssa Bonneau

October 19th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The product & customer service was great - totally worth the price! I used it to study for the GRE and increased my quant score 5 points. The explanatory videos for math were really helpful. I sent in a few questions & their team responded quickly & helpfully. I'd definitely recommend!

Levi Lingsch

October 19th, 2020 Daytona Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They offered incredible resources for learning how to take on the GRE. Doing the 3-month plan, I was able to score a 161 verbal, 167 quant, and a 5 for writing. The videos might be a little mundane sometimes but if you want to get a top score, this is the way to go. Hands-down one of the best, especially at its price-point.

Rachel Wortham

October 19th, 2020 Bala, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extremely helpful videos, practice questions, and estimated scores. I was so glad that I found Magoosh before taking the GRE. I did great on my test, too!

Laurel Woodward

October 19th, 2020 Soddy, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Magoosh help me organize my study plan and keep on track to be prepared for test day!

Heather Johnson

October 19th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked the schedules that they had set up already. It made it easy to treat my studying as a class. The videos and practice questions were very helpful! Each concept was broken down into smaller parts to make it easier to understand.

Natalie Gatten

October 19th, 2020 Columbia, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked all of the practice tests and the videos were very helpful to learn things. I also liked that you could skip videos if you already knew the information. The videos on the practice exams were particularly helpful in understanding what problems I missed. The staff is also really helpful and responsive.

Abby Fischbach

October 19th, 2020 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My only complaint is that I wish I had spent a little more time on it, and I wish there was an option to have a few writing prompts graded. It significantly improved my score far more than any book could. It's expensive but the improvement of your score could be invaluable.

Seth Boudoin

March 7th, 2020 Roseland, LA

Used this to help me study and prepare for my tests in my honors classes. Excellent at explaining things in many to help you understand your subject.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered Magoosh for my daughter to help with her ACT’s. It was so awesome. They give you study guides and even practice tests to help prepare you for the test. I was really impressed with the material it offered. It really helped her. She improved her score by 4 points. It was worth the money.

JDWain

February 22nd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Magoosh to help prep for the GRE and I belive that it helped me get the score I needed to get into grad school. great support staff

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used the Magoosh 3 month prep plan. I liked that they gave me a weekly report on my daughters progression. They also had a great suggested calendar to follow which made it easy for my daughter to split up the work into increments. We will see if all her hard work pays off.

Anthoney

April 22nd, 2019 Belmont, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a very amazing prep course with high quality