Kaplan was founded in 1938 by Stanley Kaplan and has since become a well-known name in education. Kaplan Test Prep is one of the oldest and most recognized test preparation companies. They are a branch of Kaplan, a company with over 1,000 educational institutions and 2,600 businesses operating in over 30 countries.

#1 Prep Expert chevron_right
#3 PrepScholar chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Number of Courses Offered
  • Free Resources
  • Selection of Services
  • Higher Score Guarantee

Number of Courses Offered

Kaplan Test Prep offers one of the largest selections of courses in the industry. They offer test prep courses for high school, undergraduate, and graduate admissions, not to mention other professional certifications, medical licensing, and more. Students will most likely find preparation materials for their desired test with Kaplan.

Free Resources

Kaplan Test Prep has a large selection of blog posts ranging from information about the ACT/SAT to a Bar Exam Insider. In addition to informational materials, they also offer a selection of free practice tests, free sample classes, and pop quizzes.

Selection of Services

Kaplan allows students to choose the service that best fits their learning style. They offer live online, self-paced, and in-person courses along with online and in-person tutoring. Their large variety of options can fit the need of any customer.

Higher Score Guarantee

Kaplan Test Prep offers a “higher score guarantee” for many courses. This guarantee requires customers to be first-time Kaplan students, establish a baseline score prior to starting the program, take the test when it is next administered, and share their score within three months of completing the test.

The Bad

• High Prices
  • No Guarantee of a Specific Score Increase

High Prices

Kaplan Test Prep has extremely high prices when compared with competitors. Their prices vary by test and service. For example, GRE self-paced courses start at $699 for six months, live online courses start at $999, and in-person courses start at $1,299. GRE tutoring costs $2,499 for 15 hours. Many other companies offer lower prices for similar services.

No Guarantee of a Specific Score Increase

Though Kaplan Test Prep does guarantee a higher score on many tests, they do not guarantee specific increases. Many competitors guarantee 200+ points on the SAT or a full refund. Kaplan’s guarantee is helpful but other companies offer much more generous money-back guarantees.

The Bottom Line

Kaplan Test Prep is a well-known company with a large selection of materials and preparation courses. They guarantee a higher score, but do not specify a specific level of increase like some competitors. They have one of the largest selections of courses. Customers seeking a less common course will most likely find it with Kaplan; however, their courses are much more expensive than competitors. We recommend searching other companies to find more affordable prices.

Karen Torino

April 1st, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaplan test Prep has helped me prepare for the MCAT by providing me the best tools and information. From study books to flashcards, Kaplan has the best study material I've seen.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best test prep money can buy for everything including SAT, ACT, GRE, and MCAT. Their prices are high but the quality is unbeatable,

Theodore Niemann

March 12th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am currently studying for the MCAT. Kaplan has some really comprehensive books that contain tons of information. They also have an online website that allows you to do practice questions and learn strategies for taking the test.

Austin Stelmach

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am in the process of studying for the MCAT now and have found Kaplan books to be the most precise and clear when it comes to studying. All my friends have used Kaplan, some of which have gone on to some of the most prestigious medical schools in the US.

Jaida Williams

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used books to help me study for my ACT and SAT exams. Content was amazing and extremely helpful.

Emily

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the test prep that I used for Act and SAT, I felt that it prepared me well for my exams.

Elizabeth Klemm

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I used Kaplan to prepare for the SAT and I did much better after using their strategies and preparation materials. After using Kaplan I was happy with my score and did not take the exam again.

Rebecca

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I highly recommend Kaplan Test Prep. I used it when studying for my AP test and it was super helpful and had lots of great information.

Zabsanti

February 25th, 2020 Silverhill, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Though their products allowed me to improve on my its testing ability, The price for the testing materials is extremely overpriced and it doesn't help that I have to pay $60 just so I can take a test that costs the same

JR Suguturaga

February 25th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used this product through my current company and was able to take and past the exam with flying colors. The materials and prep provided was well-organized and easy to use.

JDWain

February 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Kaplan Test Prep to prep for my MCAT. I payed way to much for an in person MCAT review class that I should have just saved my money and put it toward my applications to medical school. If I could do it again I would not purchase the full class and instead just buy some of the online practice tests which were useful!

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaplan Test Prep is an invaluable testing resource. They offer measurable improvement through their skills improvements strategies. They can get you better results when you apply their learning objectives. They offer a comprehensive plan for improvement on national tests. Overall a key tool that offers guidance, proven strategies, and success.

Luna

January 16th, 2020 Rockville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaplan is a great prep choice that improved my test score by a lot by teaching me testing strategies!

Luna

January 15th, 2020 Rockville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One of the best test prep resources. It has a series of prep books for all types of tests. It has accurate information and testing skills. Very helpful!

Olivia

January 10th, 2020 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaplan’s test prep books were a great supplement to other test preparation methods. The practice tests gave insight into the variations of questions to be seen on an exam.

Derrian

January 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Kaplan has helped prepared me for some of the major tests of my life! kaplan helped me prepare for the ACT test and the SAT test. I have seen a jump in my test score at least by 2 points once i started the test prep exercises and curriculum that they have available. I am going to use them again for the MCAT test that I will be taking in septemeber and I trust that this preparation will help me with this very important test of my life.

Connor

December 12th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After using a few prep courses, Kaplan was the program I utilized to increase my score my third time taking the test. I went up 2 points using the practice exams and strategies Kaplan oultined.

Tom Gourley

November 25th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Those I know that have used Kaplan have benefited from the experience. I think the program is fairly priced and easy enough for customers to use that it should be given a serious look!

Kathryn Robinson

November 18th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took the Kaplan LSAT prep class and found the information very helpful in preparing for the exam. They cover all the topics in depth. The instructors were knowledgeable and professional.

Cameron Clark

October 15th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Kaplan materials to study for the CFA Level 1 exam. They worked like a charm!

Ellen Morris

October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I loved my Kaplan course that prepped me for the ACT. My instructor did a great job in identifying key areas to focus on and I felt like the book was helpful too. Plus the simulation practice exams helped.

Thomas Hullinger

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a wonderful tool to prepare for the ACT test. My children have used Kaplan and it worked, raising one of my child's scores by 5 points!

Tom

June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My children have used Kaplan for ACT test preparation and it has paid off as their scores went up every time and they got into the colleges that they wanted to.