Clean Slate Tax started in 2013 and specializes in solving state and IRS tax problems. It is currently headquartered in Jupiter, Florida, and has an additional location in Mamaroneck, New York. Clean Slate Tax specializes in communicating and negotiating with the IRS on behalf of clients to resolve tax problems, tax settlements, and help with preparing client taxes.

Additionally, Clean Slate Tax is a member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS). Clean Slate Tax is not a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) or the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA).

The Good

• Free Analysis
  • Two-Step Process
  • Licensed Tax Professionals
  • Tax Problems
  • Tax Services
  • Live Chat

Free Analysis

Customers can take advantage of a free, no-obligation financial analysis. This session usually lasts around 30 minutes and explains the client's qualifying tax programs and the associated fees. The analysis is usually done with a senior tax consultant or professional.

Two-Step Process

To work with the company, clients must owe at least $7.5k in taxes. Clean Slate Tax works with a two-step process:

Step 1: Tax Investigation and Financial Analysis Clean Slate Tax will conduct a full financial analysis to understand the client's financial situation, and see which tax programs the tax professional should recommend. The company receives the client's tax transcripts from the IRS/State and then will tell the client what penalties appear, and how much is owed.

Step 2: Tax Settlement and/or Resolution The company reviews every tax program the client's situation qualifies for, and from there reviews all of the advantages and disadvantages of each option. Clean Slate Tax breaks down the costs and programs the customer can choose, and from there, the customer can decide which route to go. Clients are not obligated to go through with the company. Clean Slate Tax claims that if clients decide to contract with Clean Slate Tax, the company will resolve their tax problems.

Licensed Tax Professionals

Clean Slate Tax's website is transparent about its professional staff and provides a bio on each team member. The company works with a team made up of tax attorneys, CPAs, and enrolled agents.

Tax Problems

Often, clients run into tax problems when they don't pay their taxes or fail to file their tax returns. After assessing each case, the company informs customers of the different services they can provide to help. If Clean Slate Tax does not think it can solve the problem, they will tell customers upfront, and help them find the best way to resolve their situation. Clean Slate Tax helps fix the following tax problems:

• Tax levies
  • Tax liens
  • Unpaid taxes
  • Tax penalties
  • Asset seizures
  • Wage garnishments
  • Unfilled taxes

Tax Services

Depending on the client's unique situation, the company will utilize one or more of the following tax relief services:

• Back taxes resolution
  • Offers in compromise
  • State tax services
  • File tax returns or amends
  • Penalty abatements
  • Innocent spouse relief
  • "Currently Not Collectible" status
  • Tax debt settlement
  • Tax audit defense

If the company cannot solve a client's tax problem, they will issue a full refund.

Live Chat

Those who have questions can take advantage of Clean Slate Tax's live chat feature. People can go to their website to instantly chat with an enrolled agent.

The Bad

• Customer Service
  • Clean Slate Tax Cost
  • Newer Company
  • Lacking Professional Memberships

While their customer service is quite responsive overall, customers have said it is hard to get a reply to questions over email. Additionally, when talking to a representative by phone, Clean Slate Tax requires personal information before answering some specific tax program related questions.

Clean Slate Tax Cost

Sources suggest that prices could be anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000. Customers must also have at least $10,000 in tax debt in order to qualify for Clean Slate Tax's IRS debt relief services.

While the company provides information on their offered tax program services, Clean Slate Tax does not explain pricing information for each tax resolution service online. Instead, their financial professionals only state the fees associated with each client's qualifying program over the phone.

Newer Company

When looking into tax relief services, people may want a company that has been established in the industry for a long time. Clean Slate Tax only entered the industry in 2013. The website states that its team of tax professionals collectively has over 25 years of experience. While this is a substantial number, top leading companies in the industry often advertise much more extensive experience.

Lacking Professional Memberships

Clean Slate Tax's website does not state that they are a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals or the National Association of Enrolled Agents. The company is, however, a member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers.

The Bottom Line

Clean Slate Tax has more positive aspects than negative. For the most part, the company is transparent and offers a variety of tax resolution services. Customers do not have to pay upfront fees, and unsatisfied customers are protected by a 100 percent money-back guarantee. Clean Slate Tax works with a professional team of licensed tax attorneys, enrolled agents, and CPAs. Clean Slate Tax's website does not explain pricing information or if services are available in every state. Additionally, the company has only been in business for a total of four years. Clean Slate Tax has many advantages and they are an option worth exploring for tax relief services.

View Best Tax Relief Companies

4.8

NORMA C.

September 25th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In June 2019, I spoke with JOE concerning the IRS garnishment of my Social Security taxes due in 2006. He was immediately and kindly responsive and helped me "settle down" to handle the situation. After 2 years handling urgent medicals for my Family, I wasn't sure that I could do it--but with Joe's guidance & support, it was resolved. Absolutely first-rate and GOOD FAITH service provided by Joe and Clean Slate Tax! Thank you.

John Heinrich

April 18th, 2017 West Palm Beach, FL

I would highly recommend Clean Slate Tax to anyone with tax problems. They helped me resolve a 7 year old tax issue for pennies on the dollar.

Ray Martinez

May 9th, 2018 Los Banos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Clean Slate started Strong..were keeping their promise, but weren't able to keep the State from taking over my checking account...

Susan

March 13th, 2017 Lancaster, PA

Finally reached an end to tax issues that I had been Leary of dealing with alone. Clean Slate, especially Joe P. , helped with entire process and was there every step of the way !! Totally worth the call to ease your mind and move on a positive direction...

Don

March 9th, 2017 Tampa, FL

Company/staff was very responsive, thorough, and helpful. Their professional advice was on target and put us in a much more favorable position. I easily recommend this company and believe you will find them as helpful as we did.

Jim and Jan Brown

February 25th, 2017 Bellefontaine, OH

Clean Slate Tax personnel was very friendly and knowledgable and caring in working with us.. They cleared up a Federal Tax Lien in a timely manner. We recommend Clean Slate Tax for anyone who has a binding tax problem.

Stephen Cairo

January 29th, 2017

Extremely professional operations, took over my problems with the IRS and handled everything for me start to finish, saved alot of money and they established a payment plan to pay off the remaining balance of money that I owed, Joe P and Bianca D were my main contacts and both were professional and extremely helpful, When Joe called this year and asked if i wanted them to prepare my 2016 taxes i didn't hesitate and said yes!!

Clementina Asein

January 12th, 2017 Bowie, MD

Great Tax company. I had a very good experience working with the whole team to resolve my tax problem. Joe Pirotta was especially helpful and,patient. He patiently listened to me and provided me with the different options available. I am quite satisfied with the outcome and will recommend Clean Slate tax to anyone with tax problems. clementine Asein

Douglas Rice

January 8th, 2017 Rocky Mount, NC

To begin with, I have rarely been treated with this much actual care and concern, as I have had with Clean Slate Tax as a whole, as well as individually. I researched a few tax services and decided on Clean Slate. They ended up being the only call I made. In my first call, I was connected with Joe P. You just can't ever ask for a better man. Once I explained what was going on, Joe made me the promise that he would take care of me and that promise has never been broken. Hell, he even too the time to call me on my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years 2016/2017. Who does that anymore? This is just a guess, but I have called and/or been called by Joe, at least 70-80 times in the last year. He never is in a rush to get off the phone with me. He listens. He cares. He takes care of whatever is going on. The other person I have had the pleasure of dealing with, is Bianca. She is my personal tax attorney. Also very cordial, very caring and extremely competent. Sure, I have had slightly fewer interactions with Bianca, but she also made me a promise. She also has never faltered on that promise. While this case was being "dealt with", the NC Dept of Rev, cleared my bank account. Bianca got them to reverse that action and return every last penny, to my account. How freaking cool is that? She was also able to get my IRS issue, completely wiped....well....CLEAN. Again, how freaking cool is that? Now I don't know just how many employees there are at Clean Slate Tax, but if the rest of them are just half as good as these 2 that I got hooked up with, this should be your only stop, for all of your tax problems. I was looking at well over $40,000 in taxes and fees. I could have faced federal and state tax charges. I thought about just going into hiding at one point. Then these guys stepped in. I could type for ours, but that would still not be enough time, to tell you all the great things about them. Just call them. You will see exactly what I mean. Douglas W. Rice (USArmy) (USMC Ret.)

Josefina Gonzales

January 6th, 2017 Fort Lauderdale, FL

They have been very reassuring,helpful,knowledgeable,their following up of my case made me at ease that everybody really help their clients.I want to thank Joe and Joshua for everything.Will refer them to everybody.A very positive experience.

kurt P Lukens

December 16th, 2016

I can not thank Michael from Clean slate Tax enough. They worked with me in a very professional and sometimes fun way to resolve my IRS tax issue. Programs were available to fit my budget and the whole IRS lien was settled with the IRS actually oweing me a little money back. I must say the IRS was very fair to and i have total respect for them. It was my fault for not filing my taxes. All is great now and that worry and burden is gone. Kurt L.