Xfinity On Demand Logo

Xfinity On Demand

4.8

LAST UPDATED: September 27th, 2022

Comcast Xfinity X1 is a live TV and streaming service and device that brings your live TV, sports, streaming services, and music together. It can be accessed on your TV or watched on the Xfinity Stream app.

Unlike other streaming TV services, Comcast’s Xfinity X1 is an interface and an app that combines your live TV cable subscription with a DVR service and place for you to watch other content such as from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, and more. Xfinity X1 includes hundreds of channels, DVR, and 4k Ultra HD viewing capability. You also get access to free shows and movies on demand.

Xfinity X1 customers also gain access to Peacock Premium for free (a $4.99 per month value when this was written). Peacock Premium is packed with content from NBC and Telemundo including next-day airings of current hits, live sports, and every movie and show available on Peacock.

One limitation of the Xfinity X1 streaming TV service is that you must be both an Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet customer in order to sign up for the Xfinity X1 DVR and streaming app. Depending on the area that a customer lives in, this may cost an extra monthly subscription or the Xfinity X1 service may be free. This lack of transparent pricing is confusing and inconvenient considering there are competitors that offer a clear pricing structure.

The Good

• Voice Remote
  • Peacock Premium Included
  • DVR Cloud Storage
  • Consolidate All Media

Voice Remote

The X1 service comes with a voice remote which is a convenient feature. Users push a button on the remote and state what they are searching for and results appear instantly. Gone are the days of scrolling endlessly through long lists of channels and show options looking for your favorites. The X1 voice remote also allows you to ask questions like “When is the Dodgers game?”

Peacock Premium Included

Xfinity’s X1 service currently includes a Peacock Premium subscription. This will save you $4.99 per month and is loaded with content from NBC and Telemundo. Peacock Premium is great for those that love NBC shows and content, live sports, and Telemundo shows. If you don’t regularly watch NBC or Telemundo, then it may not be such an exceptional value.

DVR Cloud Storage

The Xfinity X1 service is essentially a DVR add-on subscription to your TV service with cloud storage so that you can access content from the streaming app anywhere you go. Digital Video Recorder, or DVR, lets you record any TV program and watch it when convenient. DVR also allows you to rewind and fast-foward live TV, pause a show or game, and more.

Unlike many top competing TV services, Xfinity X1’s DVR is stored in the cloud. It is not a hard drive DVR like most competitors offer. There are positives and negatives with the cloud storage model. The X1 service provides 500 GB of data storage, which is equal to about 60 hours of HD programming. This is very small compared to other hard-drive DVRs, but it is comparable to most other cloud storage DVRs. A major benefit of DVR cloud storage is that you can watch your shows anywhere through the Xfinity X1 streaming app.

Consolidate All Media

One big benefit of subscribing to Xfinity X1 is that you can consolidate most of your media in one place. Do you have subscriptions to Hulu, Spotify, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and more? You will be able to access them all in one convenient platform. Many other streaming TV services allow this but not all, and many don’t offer as comprehensive a list of compatible streaming apps available. One major streaming app that is not available on X1 is Disney+.

The Bad

• Must Have an Xfinity TV and Internet Subscription
  • Significantly Less DVR Storage Space

Must Have an Xfinity TV and Internet Subscription

In order to subscribe to Xfinity X1 you must have a subscription to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet from Comcast. Depending on your location, you then may be able to add X1 to your subscription. Your area may be a limiting factor and you may not be able to subscribe to Xfinity TV and Internet and/or X1. Prices for all of these services are not readily available and can vary drastically based on your location. If you are a first-time subscriber, Comcast will likely offer you a discounted temporary rate.

Significantly Less DVR Storage Space

The Xfinity X1 DVR is a cloud storage system which means that you will have much more limited storage capacity than a hard drive DVR. Many competitors offer customers the option of having both a high storage capacity hard drive DVR and a cloud option with limited storage capacity. Xfinity’s X1 DVR has a storage capacity for 60 hours of HD programming. Some competing DVRS can hold over five times that many hours. The smaller storage capacity may not be an issue depending on the number of people using your DVR.

The Bottom Line

Xfinity X1 offers a lot of cool features that could make your TV viewing experience better. However, it's not for everyone. The main thing you need to have before subscribing to Xfinity X1 is Comcast’s Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet services. If you do not already have a subscription to these two services, then it is likely not going to be a great deal for you and your family. It’s a service that is really well-suited for those who are already subscribed to Xfinity TV and Internet.

Those who are already Comcast customers will appreciate that they may be able to add the X1 service for free depending on where they live. There is very little pricing information available, and it varies drastically by area and by customer contract but some state that the price is in the $10 per month range. The Xfinity X1 service includes nice features like a voice remote and a streaming app allowing you to watch your DVR content from the cloud. Are you a fan of shows like This is Us, Superstore, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and The Good Place? You should also consider the X1 subscription upgrade if you enjoy watching NBC and Telemundo shows and live sports. Comcast includes a Peacock Premium subscription for free with an X1 subscription, giving you access to a massive library of NBC and Telemundo content.

4.1

Robert Mott Bellevue, MI

Always good movies and very convenient to use. I love the on demand feature.

Chad Edgar Columbia, MO

I love Infinity on Demand sitting back streaming binge-watching something all day so many different things to watch always something to pick my interest I use it almost everyday go watch my favorite show

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

Xfinity on demand is a great addition to our cable package. We can find good free movies to watch and programs that we had missed in the last week or so.

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

I love having Xfinity on demand. It has been great to be able to record my shows and watch them while I am on vacation or wherever I am

Lily South Jordan, UT

Xfinity on demand has great shows. When you can’t watch a show all you have to do is press record and you can watch it whenever. Also when your having trouble searching for a show you can talk into the remote and it show different choices.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

This service with our cable company Comcast worked really well. I just would push a button on the remote and it would pull up an endless amount of shows. Movies, tv shows, and sporting events. I loved, loved loved this feature with our tv. It was easy to use and I could type in almost any title and it would come up to watch.

Dave Ros Pleasant Grove, UT

It's great to browse the many options Xfinity has for On Demand programming. I never find that there isn't anything to watch. Some of my favorite shows are on demand and it is convenient to watch when I get home from work. I have never had an issue with the service.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have Xfinity on Demand and I love it. I like that I can get all the local channels, and that I also have access to many other channels and can watch anywhere I want. I have it grouped with my internet and get a better rate because of it and I like the old movie channels like GRIT TV, it is one of my favorites.

JAKE American Fork, UT

I really like Xfinity on demand. If I am not home for a game I have been wanting to watch its o nice being able to record it and watch it later in the night once I get home. I really like how you can access your on demand recordings through the app. That is my favorite part of XFINITY on demand.

Erika American Fork, UT

My kids love xfinity on demand. 90% of all television they watch is through on demand. There are a ton of different shows that they like to watch. its nice not to have to pay for individual series. Its also nice that they can watch it anytime and have it available if they were not able to watch it the first time that it was on tv.

Jaime American Fork, UT

I like having Xfinity On Demand and being able to watch things anytime without having to worry about if I remembered to set them to record or not. The app is also super convenient because it allows me to watch Xfinity On Demand on my iPad from any room in my home rather than having to stay in one room.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I love the On Demand feature and the clarity of the shows, the remote and voice command feature is amazing!

Ellie American Fork, UT

This offers lots of options that are hard and expensive other places! Unlike other systems you can view shows without completed seasons which allows you to keep up. Very nice!

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

Xfinity on Demand is awesome! You can watch lots of shows for free. I personal love the good place, but they don't have all the seasons on Netflix but they have them on Xfintity On Demand.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We have really enjoyed being able to use Xfinity On Demand. Especially the ability to download movies and shows so that we can watch them while traveling when we don't have internet service.

Ad Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the OnDemand options that Xfinity offers. I have recently found movies that I have not watched in a while. There are a lot of choices too depending on what kind of movie I want to watch.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We love XFinity On Demand!! As a family we have access through our Smart TV thousands of hit movies, the latest episodes of shows, and kids programming that comes in handy when my grandkids come to visit.

Myah Smith American Fork, UT

I watch a ton of my movies on demand. I love going back and forth to movies that are ready for me to click play and watch, and also to movies that are on at the time I am watching.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

As an Xfinity user, I use on-demand to see episodes I may have recently missed from my favorite TV shows. Great built-in service as an Xfinity customer.

Virginia Rosenthal Pleasant Grove, UT

The options for programming are great. There is always something for my family to watch. I like that it lists if you’ve already watched an episode

Sarah Ava Salt Lake City, UT

We love Xfinity On Demand. They always have the most recent episodes of our favorite tv shows available right away and a great variety of new & older movies for free.

Emily D Herriman, UT

Xfinity On Demand is awesome because they have so much to offer or to rent.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

Xfinity on Demand has a great selection. I love that you can record television shows and then fast forward through the commercials.

Breanne Stanko Logan, UT

Love the ability to rent or even buy movies to just watch whenever. Super easy to work and play movies. Streaming is always great.

Braden Stanko Smithfield, UT

Love being able to buy movies on demand and instantly being able to watch them. Always has recent movie released available.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

Xfinity On Demand is so awesome. It is so useful and so entertaining. It makes it easy to watch the movies and shows that I want to watch.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Love the ease of use while on the go with the family.

Shawn American Fork, UT

Easy to find the movies I want. The set up is intuitive and simple. I like that you can download movies

Helen Macfarlane Pleasant Grove, UT

Xfinity On Demand has good streaming quality and a great selection. The site is also very user friendly. Love it!

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

Xfinity is so easy to use! They have great prices, great quality picture, and great customer service.

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

Xfinity On Demand is the greatest streaming service out there. They have great prices that cannot be beat.

matthew Logan, UT

very convenient and works great. lot of choices for movies and tv shows. easy to navigate. great picture as well.

Grant American Fork, UT

My family loves watching programs on Xfinity On Demand because there are no commercials to have to sit through.

Sage Robertson Cedar City, UT

Xfinity On Demand is so great to use! Their customer service is awesome and so are their shows.

Emily Walker Provo, UT

I really enjoy Xfinity! Hallmark is one of my favorite channels so I love that I can watch it here!

Samie Cummings Ephraim, UT

My family just switched to Xfinity, and we love it. It’s so easy to use. And a good price