Vudu

Vudu Logo

Vudu

Zero Monthly Fees

Vudu is an online movie and TV streaming service that is owned by Wal-Mart and has been around for over ten years. They do offer $2 for two day DVD rentals which is extremely competitive for movie rentals.  Their main business stems from digital streaming, providing even more entertainment options to consumers.

Netflix Logo Netflix ›

9.3

Overall
Score

Amazon Prime Logo Amazon Prime ›

7.6

Overall
Score

YouTube Logo YouTube ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Vudu Logo Vudu ›

6.3

Overall
Score

The Good

• No subscriptions or fees
  • No ads
  • Rent movies the same day they are released on DVD
  • Easily save your movies online
  • Library of free content

Only Pay For What You Watch

With Vudu, you only pay for what you watch - there are no subscriptions and no late fees.

Ad-Free Viewing

All paid streaming through Vudu is ad free which makes for a great user experience.

Large Entertainment Library Selection

Vudu boasts a large media library of over 15,000 movies and 2,000 TV series.

Immediate Movie Release

Vudu claims movies will be available the same day they are released on DVD. This is a huge advantage over Netflix, at which you have to wait 28 days after a movie is released before it's available.

Compliant with UltraViolet

Vudu is now compliant with UltraViolet, meaning any DVDs or Blu-ray discs cleared by studios for digital distribution can be uploaded to the cloud and watched through Vudu. This makes a digital copy of your movie that you can watch from anywhere and keep for forever.

Free Content

Vudu offers a small library of free content, both TV shows and movies. Some titles stay free, and others are swapped each week. The shows have ads, but are completely free when you sign in with a free account.

The Bad

• Expensive rental prices

Expensive Rental Prices

Services like Netflix or HuluPlus cost only $7.99 per month for unlimited viewing while just one movie on Vudu could cost you $4.99, and a TV episode will run you a couple dollars.

Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

As we mentioned before, you can upload any UltraViolet movies you've purchased to Vudu. However, Vudu will charge you for each movie that you upload (between $2-$5).

The Bottom Line

Vudu is pricey, but you are paying for a premium product. You get access to a wide selection of movies and TV shows, and most important of all, you get them as fast as possible. There is no contract or subscription with Vudu, so if you don't like what you are getting, then you can stop and find another company to stream with.

Overall, we recommend considering the top rated companies before making a final decision.

3.7

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i like that they have a variety of selections to choose from. picture quality is clear. my mother and sisters and i take turn buying movies and we have quite a selection already.

Tilda
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Obsessed!! I get to save all my movies/shows in one place and no more DVDs laying around.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

we have a family account and we take turns buying movies we can watch over and over again, especially the kids who likes to watch the same movie over and over again. good quality picture. you can find good deals as well.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Vudu is one of the apps we use to stream TV. I would recommend this app also for some of your favorite sport to watch. There is a good variety of television series to watch as well.

Konner
July 23rd, 2018 Tulsa, OK DETAILS

Every single device I have ever tried to watch Vudu from, be it a laptop, PS4, a smart tv, or a blue ray player, has had to buffer constantly while watching anything. It doesn’t seem to matter what town I’m in either. I spend more time watching it buffer than I do watching the show. Not to mention that you can only have it on 8 devices at a time. It would make much more sense if you could only have so many streams from the same account at the same time.

Alicia Holman
July 12th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I like that you can watch a movie when no other streaming site has it. It's easy to sign up and can be installed on the ROKU so I liked that.

Jess Root
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love using Vudu to keep my digital video library. And with compatibility between platforms, it is even better. You can find deals on digital movies too.

David Quinn
May 29th, 2018 McHenry, IL

Repeatedly, I try to access Vudu... using the codes I get with dvds I purchase. Most of the time I cannot get those codes to work and consequently, I have nothing good to say about Vudu. In fact, I think Vudu is nothing but hoodoo...! I have no use for this supposed 'service'. I think it sucks!

Deborah Mashburn
March 19th, 2018 Mountain Home, ID DETAILS

Vudu customer service sucks. Paid for a movie last night. The movie didn't become available. I called them to sort it out. The agent I spoke with was not helpful. Her solution of "try the transaction again" doesn't work when my bank shows the $ as deducted already. They said they couldn't reverse the charge until it was final. Its the weekend, so not happening. I asked to speak with her supervisor. She kept claiming to be waiting on her supervisor while stringing me along for a full hour. After which she said the supervisor wasn't taking any more calls and to call back today. I emailed the company through facebook letting them know about my experience. Got a reply back that there was nothing they could do and if the transaction is still showing in a week to let them know. Meanwhile, my money is gone and I still don't have the movie I was trying to buy. I don't recommend buying movies directly from them if you are looking forward to watching it at that time. Buy a hard copy.

Derek Cichewicz
February 20th, 2018 Willis, MI DETAILS

I am very disappointed with VUDU's customer service, I have been a loyal customer for about 6 years and owner 100's of movies but I have been trying to reset my password to update my payment method for 4 days now and never received an email from them. I then called customer service to have them help with a password reset for 35 minutes, and they told me there was nothing they could do and that I should continue to wait for a password reset email. So if this isn't fixed withing the next 8 hours, I guess its on to Apple TV and Itunes for me, if I cant buy movies on VUDU because of a lack of customer service and technology. Apple's password recovery works great with an ounce of difficultly!

Jeff
December 20th, 2017 Monument, CO DETAILS

The absolute worst customer service we've ever experienced. Our family will never do business with Vudu (owned by Walmart) again.

Suzanna Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I've used vudu a handful of times and don't really have anything negative to say!

Lindsey
December 11th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My family has Vudu, so I've used it a lot. I really enjoy it. It has many options to watch, so if you're wanting to find a specific movie that isn't on Netflix or Hulu this is a great option to have on hand.

Kristen Westover
November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT

Using Vudu to watch our movies is easy and great. I wish there was a way to put codes in for movies using the app. If there is, we haven't been able to find a way. It would make things much easier.

Kelly
October 9th, 2017 Raleigh, NC

Horrible streaming & customer service. I should have just pulled out an old scratched up DVD to watch...it would have played better than anything I've tried to stream through Vudu. Whenever I've tried to contact them for assistance I get no reply.

Stacy
August 7th, 2017

Let me start by saying I loved vudu at one time. I was able to put our movie codes into it for easy access to stuff on the go and I was able to buy and rent movies easily. Now, this was a total of 62 movies total on my vudu account when all was good and then turned horrible. One day I just couldn't login. I called. Because it turned out my account was taken over by someone else. I was told I'd hear back in 5 days after review. I had them delete my billing information in the meantime. I had to keep calling back because I never heard from them. Two weeks in and still no resolution. I was able to verify all the billing information and card number used on the account and still no help. Three weeks and four weeks and still nothing. And they say it has to be submitted up to the top tier because they are the only ones who can make decisions based on payments. And still nothing. And they tell you that you cannot speak with the top tier people and the top tier people will only email you when they are ready. Still. Nothing. And now I have lost the ability to access my 62 movies that I paid for and can prove but it doesn't matter. And they can't change anything because the person who called and changed the account to their name has all the billing information too. A complete and utter mess and they said I could despute the charges with my bank to then have the account locked and never accessed. They actually told me that would be what would happen. So I'd only recover the money for the movies I purchased through vudu and none of the digital copies out in. And even then they said they could not guarantee that since I did admit to buying the movies when I was speaking with them on the phone. Completely horrible customer and managerial services from vudu. How hard is it to see a person used their card to purchase movies and say okay this is who the movies belong to. It's not rocket science and shouldn't be that complicated. They do not take care of their customers and their customer's private account information and they get out of it by citing they have "policies" in place that create these so called rules. Do not recommend you ever use them. It may be great for awhile but the moment an issue arises where you need to call them for help... you will be left feeling robbed and helpless. It's a horrible feeling and they don't care. That's the worst part. You know they could do the right thing but they choose not to.

Jim Sarcia
February 10th, 2017

Phenomenal streaming site. Has one of the largest UV libraries plus has several hundred movies that aren't ultraviolet compliant yet. Their disc to digital program is very affordable, plus when you convert over 10 movies the price gets cut in half. Customer service is great. Had an issue with Walmart saying they couldn't upload my movies to the site. Called vudu customer service and they told me every Walmart has the capability and to demand to talk to a manager. Did that and finally found someone who could help.