Netflix Logo

9.3

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have been with netflix since they first came out. We used to have the dvds delivered to our house. We opted in to the streaming service as soon as it was offered. Over time Netflix has continued to add amazing custom content to their service. They have also slowly ramped up the price over the years, to a point that we just don't want to pay for any longer. After almost 15+ years, we have decided to end our service with Netflix. We have pretty much watched all the content we are interested in and for the price, I cannot justify the content they currently have to offer.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love how Netflix has upgraded within all these years. The improvements have led to my family and I being able to stream shows and movies directly from our phones, tv and laptop. This has allowed for us to access this platform pretty much anywhere we go. I also like how you're now able to download movies and shows straight from the app before you go somewhere with little to no connection; this has helped make road trips less boring. I gave Netflix four stars however, due to the shows and movies list becoming a little dull. Netflix also removes shows and movies that are good too, such as That 70s Show, The Office, etc.

Toni Montuori

NETFLIX is still awesome after all these years. I can always find something that tweaks my interest. The website/app is user friendly and the price is still Uber great for what you get

Jodianna Maitland, FL

I like how I can watch tons of old and new tv shows and movies! They also have a feature where I can download something now and watch it later without needing to have a connection to service. The only downside is that they take a while to update new shows and sometimes get rid of movies or tv shows for no reason.

Corbin Short ,

Netflix is obviously a very innovative digital streaming business model. I have been using them since the days of actually ordering DVDs. Netflix provides a great product, one that I am on at least every other night. I will say this: they offer the minimum amount of entertainment to keep me paying what I am paying every month. When the streaming wars started, it was left in the air whether or not Netflix would be something I continue to pay for. Right when I am getting bored with the content on Netflix, they upload something that is just entertaining enough to get me watching again. Kind of sucks, but I guess it works out.

adrian avram Tampa, FL

I been a member for 11 years and I am happy with content but I missmore history based movies good customer service if a problem with my acc(hacked)

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Netflix is great. I wish that when I log in to Netflix. whatever show or movie is being advertised at the top of the page doesn't start automatically playing. That's very annoying!!!! Netflix needs to keep politics out of their business!!!!

Aaliyah Fuller Tallahassee, FL

Netflix has a variety of different movies and TV shows throughout all the genres available. New shows and movies get added a couple of times a month. The only issue I have is Netflix tends to get rid of quality movies and shows and replace them with other shows that are less entertaining, in my opinion. Other than that, there is always a movie or show available to watch with the many different options they have listed.

Faye Davis Enterprise, KS

Ive had the 7.99 plan since ohhh 2011 and i originally signed up to watch my little pony. I have watched all of Orange is the new black and im working on bojack horsemans newest season right now. I am a huge fan of tvs shows with realworld topics and how to handle life. I have watched netflix on every platform including tablets and a ds all my consoles and my phone. The availabilty is amazing. I do wish i could watch media in other languages more easily. Id like to be able to choose the Japanese dub for supernatural to help learn Japanese, but unless i use a vpn and lie about my location i cannot. Ive had it turned off a few times and it never took more then 5 min to get running again.

Jessica C. Apex, NC

We've had Netflix for quite awhile and we really like it. We definitely get our money's worth from the amount that our kids watch it. I don't even know why we bother having any hard copies of movies because they would rather watch the shows Netflix has. They also much prefer using Netflix over Amazon, although Amazon and Netflix seem to flip-flop with who has certain shows, so we'll occasionally use Amazon more when the show they're into changes to them. I wish that there was a way to get rid of certain shows that show up on the kids' profiles, as of now I just have to tell them which ones they can watch and which ones they can't (last I checked there wasn't a way to do this, maybe this has changed). I feel like a lot of the adult selection is just trash, but we've found some good stuff here and there (and maybe that is more Hollywood than Netflix?).

Na Oshkosh, WI

Likes: go to app and lots of international films/dramas available. Affordable. LOVE the top 10 for a quick choice. Dislikes: can't always find interesting shows to watch.

Kaitlyn Austin , FL

I like Netflix because it has so many genres of shows and movies to pick from. It has a wide variety, and it has uncommon videos that you likely can’t find anywhere else. I wish it could have more popular tv shows and movies but otherwise, there’s nothing to complain about.

Ajay Patel Southlake, TX

Lots of variety! Lots of intentional films which are great. New movies and shows almost every month so there is always variety. The only downfall is that a lot of series get canceled so it sucks not being able to follow the series.

AF ,

One of my favorite thing about Netflix is being able to binge an entire season(s) of a show! I love being able to follow an entire story from start to finish without waiting weeks in between. I also really like that you can stop and start your membership relatively easy. I wish that they would have some better parental controls. I have different profiles for my kids/me, but still wish I could filter even a little more.....

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We have been pretty happy with our Netflix subscription. They have a fairly good selection of shows and it is easy to watch on our TVs and our phones. I like that they have different pricing options and we recently changed our subscription to try to save a few dollars. It was easy to change and if we decide to upgrade we can do that at any time. Overall, I would recommend Netflix if you like movies, documentaries, etc.

Chip Linck Griffin Humble, TX

I've been a subscriber since Netflix started. They've adapted over the years as their licensing has changed. We can always find something to watch. It's good for new shows, older shoes I haven't seen, and reruns of shows I watched a long time ago. It's no longer my source of movies to watch, but it's cheap enough to keep it along with my other services.

LaCourtneya Douglasville, GA

I enjoy Netfix, I've had them for my streaming use since 2010. My son loves Netflix more than I do, the only negative is that I have to have Amazon Prime to watch my British mystery shows with Britbox for most of them. I have yet to have an issue with customer service, they are helpful if you are on your phone, laptop, computer or smart t.v they are there to help. The prices have changed, but with all of these other companies starting their own steaming services its to be expected.

KGroomes

I recently cut the "Xfinity" cable cord. I love Netflix. People complain about outdated movies, but I had more outdated movies with Comcast and paid a whopping $ 230.00 a month for it. Not to mention all the repeat channels cable gives you that you don't even watch. I absolutely love the fact you can binge watch commercial free when ready, and all for 9.99$ "Good Job" Netflix. I would like to eventually see different seasons of TV shows come to your site faster. Other than this .. You guy's are great!

Vanessa Call Lehi, UT

I've been using Netflix for years, and overall am very happy with the product. I understand the need to increase prices periodically and to remove content for new content. My one complaint is that on the new Apple TV there is not an easy way to have a 'watch list' any longer. I constantly have to go search fro what I am looking for, vs going to my watch list and seeing what I would like to see. Otherwise, it's a great product at a great price!

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

I really enjoy Netflix. The options for TV series are really good and there is always something to watch. The movie selection isn't great but it is getting much better. I like that you can download for when you are traveling but I don't like that it doesn't seem to give me that option on my surface pro 3 which is both a laptop and a tablet. I can download things from my phone though which I guess is alright.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I think that Netflix is very well priced for all that they give you, while I am upset that they have gotten rid of some of the shows I have absolutely loved watching, they are still bringing well worth what I am paying for their service. I am not a fan of their "recommended for you" section and don't think I have every watched anything from that listing.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

I think I'd usually give 5 stars but as of late I think Netflix is putting way too much content out there and not enough substance. Like focus on a few shows and do those really well. I don't think it's a service to the world to put more mediocrity on the internet. If i wanted that I could go to YouTube and see what whoever with a camera put in there. Or if I wanted something with relatively low production value, there's already enough out there in every streaming service. Keep the stranger things level shows coming! I think the streaming services that focus on quality content are going to win out. The legacy shows definitely keep the value of Netflix up. Also, I can't find so many of these random shows and movies hidden throughout Netflix unless I'm typing in names of other movies I want to watch and stumble across them. Should probably improve how we can access those titles.

Jaylene Holcomb, NY

I LOVE NETFLIX!!! I was never that big of a TV person. I had a few shows I liked that I watched weekly, but if I was busy, it was hard to keep up. Videos came along and they were fun. The kids would watch them constantly. Now that all 9 of my kids have grown up and moved out of the house - the house has become pretty quiet! I don't like channel surfing, and commercials are annoying. So NETFLIX has become my best friend. I have an ipad to watch on. I LOVE that Netflix knows what shows I have seen, keeps track of the series I am watching and which episode I am on!!! My ipad follows me around the house. Netflix while I am cooking dinner or washing dishes. Netflix while I am making the bed or folding laundry. Netflix while I am quilting! Netflix with headphones at midnight when the hubby is sleeping and I can't. I do wish they would ..... warn us when they are about to cancel a series, and let us search movies by ratings.

Erika American Fork, UT

My kids love netflix. It's really fun to be able to watch many different types of TV show without having to pay for a subscription for each series. Sometimes I do feel like there is a ton of options and not a lot that I actually want to watch though. It varies though since they are constantly adding and dropping titles. I do not like the parental control features. It is way to easy for kids to be able to switch onto or add a new profile that could have very inappropriate content. I will not let them have netflix on their ipad for that reason. They need to make the parental controls more secure for older kids who know how to navigate their way around netflix.

Kevin Nelson

I have been a customer of Netflix from even before they did streaming. Back then I loved being able to just get movies in the mail. After moving to just streaming, I was at first disappointed that their movie offering was pretty minimal. However, I found their TV series offering great and over the years their movie offering has also improved. I have always been impressed with their streaming delivery service. From the beginning of their digital offering it was clear their technology was surperior to others as content would almost always download, properly buffer and play is such a manner that viewing was always smooth, even when other services would stall and fail. With the advent of broadband, all seem pretty even, but it is nice to know that Netflix really knows what they are doing in streaming technology.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

We've had a Netflix membership since the beginning, when they used to send movies and games in the mail. The Netflix service now is even more convenient and we continue to renew our subscription because we love the variety of TV shows, movies and shows it offers. I love the convenience of having netflix on several different TV's at once, and even my college students can sign in and use my membership to watch on their TV at school. Netflix is a great way to binge watch all my favorite TV shows, and for my kids to watch all their favorites as well. I love how we can set up their own profiles and Netflix will do recommendations based on their watching habits. It's a great service. My only complaint is that they don't have some of my favorites, but I can always find them elsewhere.

Elyse Bradley Provo, UT

I've had Netflix for almost 3 years and never had a bad experience with the customer service or billing. The price is totally reasonable for the access to content you receive. I also really appreciate the newer feature of being able to download certain content beforehand in case you don't have service later. That's been a life-saver! My only complaint is that much of what Netflix produces in shows and movies has a TV-MA rating. I realize MA content is popular, but sometimes I wish they'd produce more drama movies and shows that didn't push the envelope quite so far. I've become very wary of anything produced by Netflix since the content is often way too crude.

Raven Brodsky New York, NY

I love the original content they are making these days! Especially the series they come up with! Always something for a slow week end.

Cheyenne Stewart Knoxville, TN

Netflix is a good movie provider but it's always older movies that you've already seen. I think they are a little pricey

Teresa Honey Grove, TX

We have had Netflix for 10 years we love it the series that they put on like virgin river outer banks sons of anarchy and etc on bad weather days it keeps me entertained

Suzanne curtis

Helpful just enough tips and recommendations. Have been able to watch the seriesI missed. Great bing watching possible!

Khanh Nguyen Houston, TX

The quality of the shows and movies are great. Super clear. One complaint I have is how they remove the most amazing shows and movies and keep the movies and shows that have the worst plot.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I like the service overall, the kids really like it.. but I feel like I spend more time trying to find a show worth watching than I do watching anything. With that said we have found it worth keeping it for 5 plus years now.

Hannah Denver, CO

I really like Netflix in the fact they offer suggestions based on what I watch so it gives me a tailored experience. I also like that it has a plethora of options from many different tv networks. However, I do not like by opening the tv app it aggressively plays the show or movie they think I will like.

nkristjan Tallinn, 37

Positives: - dolby vision looks awesome on my oled (for most of the shows with Vision. Warrior Nun for example looks mediocre for a Vision title). - massive selection of stuff to watch, most of which is decent but not great Negatives: - the UI is garbage overall

JP

for the last 2 weeks I was not able to stream Netflix thru my streaming device. It gave me an error message "Try again later".......really netflix should be giving me my 1/2 month refund back since I was not able to watch. Thank goodness for my "Fire Stick" from Amazon as I was able to watch any of my shows without hassle or interuption

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I used to love Netflix, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find good movies on it. It feels as if they have replaced their movies with TV shows, almost entirely related to crime and serial killers. Please mix it up a little!

Aunt Cathy Bay Saint Louis, MS

I still have issues always trying to find certain shows , even though I know that Netflix is carrying it.. Wish they'd set it up to go back and read about what you're watching , no matter how far into the show you are, without it being a major pain. Might be me only, not sure

Jen Clarks Summit, PA

Netflix is alright. I like how you can watch tv episodes. I do not like that you cannot watch any movie you look up. There aren't very many good movies when I search. They seem to have a lot of original shows but I never watched any besides Stranger Things

Kriss

Netflix offers some good shows. However, it is not streaming full versions of movies eg Suicide Squad, is missing 2 scenes that were shown at the cinema. Netflix should advise this, but does not. Customers presume they are getting full cinema versions.

Kirby Keebler

The service is great. Affordable and easy to use. However I have noticed there is not a huge amount of content on the Canadian Netflix server. Also I notice that more and more Netflix produced content and a decline in otherwise produced content. That needs to change.

Alan H Brown

Good selection of TV shows and Netflix originals. Movies do not go to streaming for several years so I also have DVD delivery service. Prime hours I have trouble with slow speeds from Netflix servers, causes low quality and sometimes hangs.

Candace Barrow

Our experience has been very positive. It's much more affordable than the dish service we had and we can pick and choose what we want to watch instead of having 350 useless channels. The only improvement would be getting a completed series on the list of choices for those of us who are watching.

Nycole Chisum Riverdale, GA

I have been with Netflix for many years and I love the convenience of being able to stream from different device while on the go but I believe that they need to update their movie database more often because if you are an avid movie watcher such my family and I it is easy to run through great selections quickly.

Vija Cox

Company is good. The movies offered are varied and they make sure you see the type of movie you like. They also offer movies you may enjoy but are not necessarily on your list. I like that because it gives you an opportunity for something new.

Rob Leavitt Thousand Oaks, CA

good experience. like the variety and original content. severely need to improve customer options for tracking, managing, and sorting content. I don't understand how this has not been upgraded after so many years!!! I want to create own folders to save shows/movies. it's mind boggling that there's still only one queue!!

Karen Frisco, TX

My family uses Netflix daily. We really enjoy the low price of Netflix to be able to watch TV Shows and Movies. They have a good selection to choose from, but it would be fun if they allowed viewers the ability to request certain movies.

Krista Provo, UT

Netflix is best for watching TV shows. It has a couple of blockbuster movies then mostly movies small low rated films. It does have a good selection of TV shows. Netflix also works well with streaming systems like Google Chrome and Apple TV, making it easy to watch on the TV as well as phone and computer.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

Netflix has a great variety of shows and movies. It is the most convenient way to watch TV and is great for binge watching TV series. In the past, Netflix had much better movies, but it seems like they are moving away from popular movies.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix is great. I have only had trouble streaming a couple times. I am happy with the tv selection on Netflix but I think the movie selection could be better. A lot of movies I want to watch are never on Netflix. I wish more movies could be added.