Netflix Logo

9.3

LAST UPDATED: October 25th, 2021

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Lawrence Kopp Schaumburg, IL

Sorry to burst the bubble here but Netflix has a substandard system to protect the security of any account. Three days in a row my account was stolen. I called them and had it restored three times just to have it hacked again. I changed PW's every time and finally had to change emails accounts. However after extensive conversations with them its clear all one has to do to change info in my account is to have the email address associated with it. They even changed the phone number and upped the package to HD deluxe. They do not, I repeat do not have a system in place to verify change to account requests like 2 factor verification with is more or less universal. Emails are sent and unless you catch it in time you are screwed. If you are reading this Netflix get 2 factor verification. Its now the standard of the business industry. Just a simple text will work but they tell me they can't send me a text. Astounding.

Pega guru Frisco, TX

Series are at best 3 star and movie in 2 star range. They used have good series and movies but losing the charm now. Issue is Netflix has flooded "only" it's brand of movies and series. Netflix brand movies typically are a low budget movies, and sometimes with an agenda. At the end of movie if you feel like being preached instead of being entertained you may not be wrong. TV serials are also being made on stereotype themes, it is repeatative. There is nothing new. I have wasted lot of time on sub par content. I don't want to be too harsh, probably it is also Covid and lack of quality material due to it. But lack of indigenous content is paramount and now an issue.

Alex The Villages, FL

Shocked the reviews are so high. We are looking to replace it with something else. Largely we enjoy movies. For the most part the movies they offer are older movies, most of which we have seen. The other problem is there are no on screen audience rating such that you spend more time looking for something decent to watch than it's worth. Lately they have been rating the top ten movies (supposedly) that are available on Netflix. Pretty limited selection within the rated feature movies. Prime makes the process much easier in that all movies and series are rated on screen and ratings are not limited to the Netflix audience only. We simply look for something that looks interesting and limit our choices to features rated 4 stars or better, We have basically given up on Netflix. I called Netflix about this issue a few months ago and was told they are "working on something". Would love to hear suggestions about which of the steaming services is the best in terms of their offering's and the quality of their features. Thus far, Amazon Prime is our primary go to steaming service for the reasons mentioned above. We would be more than willing to pay more for newer movies.

Holly Abramovitz Monett, MO

Netflix has a lot of options and the App itself is easy to use. I dislike that price keeps increasing, just because people use multiple streaming applications these days. Also, Netflix seems to host a lot of political opinionated documentaries and shows. There is also sexually inappropriate content.

Kenneth Wallace Alabaster, AL

I've enjoyed Netflix for a few years now, and I've been ok with some of the price increases that's come pretty regular. However....with yet ANOTHER price increase, new series all of a sudden canceled, it's like....do I really want to get involved in a show that might, might not be here tomorrow. And Netflix takes too long to get current seasons. $17.99 might just be it for me.

Puppy Gard Clinton, MD

Netflix used to be great but now it sucks!!! How are you gunna make this app more expensive and take off everything good? Making a stupid hype house show and took off all the good shows! Can’t wait to cancel

Janice Blakely Norman, OK

Content of shows has deteriorated continually In recent years, and it has become much harder to find something good to watch. I suspect, however that your loss of a half million subscribers is due to the $100,000,000 deal (contract) with Mrs & Mr Me-gain Markle. Beware, you will be rewarded with empty coffers. Me and my family will never watch anything produced by that despicable couple. I don't read their books either. Get rid of those liars and improve your programming so I can continue to watch DOLLY Parton on Netflix.

Gkgfamily Goleta, CA

Everyone loves Netflix and I have used it in the past. Sometimes it feels like there aren't really that many choices of things I would watch. My main concern, though, relates to them offering me a trial subscription, and me cancelling it, but them not noting the cancellation and my bank account being charged for like 8 months before I happened to notice it. When I brought it to their attention they didn't refund the money. The irony is that during all those months I kept getting emails to "come back to Netflix", but I was already being charged for an account I didn't know I had. I have to admit it left a sour taste in my mouth regarding Netflix.

Michael Chavalas Nashville, TN

Original content is equivalent of Bravo or Lifetime channel. Great if you are interested in it, but it is not high quality writing, stories or storytelling.

Mark J Goodyear, AZ

I think a lot of its shows are political and lean only one way and that's more too the left. I don't like that they have taken off some of there own original programs that I liked. Also not enough of the older movies made in the 60?'s,70's and 80's on there program.

Alma Flores Fresno, CA

I have been with netflix for a while. Please update your selection of movies. The movies you offer are so outdated. I have been getting better results by downloading movies online. I only keep Netflix because I didn't have Comcast. Now I do. But I would still like to keep your service IF you UPDATE YOUR MOVIE SELECTION. PLEASE!!!

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

So this is hard, I do feel like Netflix offers good options of shows to watch at any given time, and my kids have lots of options as well, BUT they are NON-STOP continually raising prices. It has been a small raise in price here and there every year, and if I get another notice that it will go up yet again this year we will be done. I understand things change and prices will go up, but it has been a yearly event and I'm at the end of my rope with it....

Nichole San Francisco, CA

Takes too long to update tv series. Honestly, tired of "recommendation because you watched", too many repeats. Update of library takes forever and a day it seems like. Need more selection of children movies.

Pasimata West Jordan, UT

I love a lot of the Netflix original shows. I would give 5 stars, but you’re taking down Marvel shows, which I really enjoyed. Also, upping the price doesn’t seem appropriate when the CEO is making multi million dollars in profits.

Hannah Provo, UT

Netflix started out as something wonderful... However, things have seemed to go downhill as of late. There is a lot of unappealing and quality content. Too much sex and too many B movies. Not enough solid, well done, and family friendly picks.

Elizabeth Spunar

Repetitive movies. Almost all foreign language. Not interesting enough to continue to watch.

John Sutherland

Product selection and quality are good. Pricing seems fair. Overall not a bad service.

Jeff Burton Flint, MI

I have a problem with Netflix because they have the same shows on for 5 to 6 months with out anything new it is ridiculous

Lkirton Park City, UT

In the past I have been happy with some of the original content from Netflix. However I am disappointed in the recent content that they have released.

Linda Horn

Very disappointed in Netflix as they don't add new movies quickly enough and they run the same thing over and over. They have more older movies than new.

Kristen Pleasant Grove, UT

I spend more time surfing than actually watching. I feel that the content is not refreshed enough and 95% of the movies are old movies most people don't want to watch.

Bob Hiatt Pleasant Grove, UT

I don't like Netflix. Sometimes I find something I like but it's not worth the sifting through all the garbage. They have so many trashy movies. I am canceling my subscription.

Kelly Jackson

Not a wide selection of movies that's family friendly. I refuse to pay $100 for AT&T just to watch HGTV and family friendly movies.

Sandra Salome Hollywood, FL

About to cancel, already paying a lot for internet and cable, Now Netflix went up, I'm paying $17.... when it was $11 👎

Ken Francis Provo, UT

They don't have a very good variety of shows. It kinda stinks. Plus I hate their liberal shows and liberal agenda. I wouldn't use their service if i didn't get it for free.

Danita Fisher

Not a lot on there that we would watch. Too many that are rated MA and we don't watch those at all.

Dani Provo, UT

Great if you’re really into tv shows but i’ve had a hard time finding good shows, and there aren’t a ton of great movies on it.

Spencer Scoville American Fork, UT

All the rage but not really worth the money. It is hard to figure out what to commit yourself to watching because it might be taken off 2 days later.

Don Montegut, LA

I only use it for my grandchildren to watch cartoons. Mostly, rehashed programming that you can get cheaper from other streaming networks.

Sariah Meridian, ID

Good show selection for the most part. But exploits more less family friendly trailer when unnecessary

E S Meridian, ID

Programming gave way to more PG13 type shows with more violence, etc. over time and stopped subscription.

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

I just cancelled my membership because I only watched one show in a month. Not enough clean content.

Sonja Squyres

Movies not great and when i canceled it kept charging my account

Sara American Fork, UT

Stranger Things and Gilmore Girls were/are fantastic. That's about it.

Dilworth

Not to many up to date movies. Not enough PG movies.