Netflix Logo

9.3

LAST UPDATED: November 22nd, 2021

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Sui Allex Englishtown, NJ

Netflix charged me a high premium and when I called to dispute the charge, customer service did not resolved my issue and cancelled the service without refunding me. This is the worst service I ever got from any company. I would NOT recommend Netflix to any friends and family. You should reconsider and go with Hulu and other medium of streaming. Netflix id profiting from me and you and giving such back service.

Melanie P

They have gone seriously down hill over the years. Now they have gotten greedy and taken away free trial and they charge your account the day before your due date. They are taking off shows people like to put on crap boring shows. I am fed up and they are greedy mean corporate people who only care about money and themselves so we all know where they will end up.

Brian Phelps Enfield, NH

Netflix Raised their Prices during the Pandemic not by a little to premium members but by double. They have no content and could care less. They slowed down the DVD Deliveries so they made more but you watched less. They took away the ease of watching Netflix on the road. their 2 point authentication locks you out until you can get a hold of a person or customer service associate which they obviously don't have. It's a better price to have Disney plus, Amazon Prime, and Hulu then Just to have Netflix which never updates and changes it's pricing whenever they hit financial hardship in the company. In conclusion if Netflix wants to save itself Update Movies! Don't keep changing your prices, and bring back the way you used to do things. Keep up with the times at this rate you're going to be the next Blockbuster

PH Bethlehem, PA

HERE COMES THE BS AND CORPORATE GREED IN THE PANDEMIC. Here is my dead on honest review. You decide to stick with Netflix after this. I will back pedal a bit before I launch into this and tell you I have subscribed also to Prime and Disney+ without as much as a hiccup. So here it is: While ALSO having Prime, Disney+, and my cable bill skyrocketing in this pandemic, my husband missed some of the Netflix shows we used to watch PRIOR to the Disney+ launch. My kids only like Netflix for Sofia the First, currently not on Disney+. Fine. So what do I do? I get my husband a gift card for $25 as part of his Valentine's gift and we sign up for the BASIC PACKAGE ($8.95) on April 12. That should take us to July 12 give or take for $25, right? I go about my life and barely watch Netflix. I let husband and kids have it. Next thing you know I am charged on June 6 $14.85 on an old CC I am ready to cancel that Netflix still has the number for from 3 years ago! I IM them and ask what's up. WAIT FOR IT! THE TOTAL BS! Apparently, my husband logged in via iPhone while on a break before work to watch his show while the kids were watching Sofia the First at home. The horror! That now up's your bill automatically to the "STANDARD PLAN" of $14.85. Gift card runs out. And I am charged. I AM DEAD SERIOUS. Nasty customer service folks -- 3 of them -- refused to do anything. They took off the $14.85 but canceled out my gift card. So I paid $25 for less than 2 months and husband loses the gift I intended. They actually wanted $39.85 for less than 2 months. All because he logged in on an iPhone when kids were watching the same time. This is ludicrous. They could have in good faith credited me and let me use the gift card. Nasty, nasty customer service. BEWARE OF THIS NETFLIX SCAM AND THEY WILL SCREW YOU OVER AND CHARGE YOUR CC IN AN INSTANT!

Marge Thatsit Manteno, IL

I've been with Netflix for 9 years, continuously. I thought they were well run and gave good customer service, but perhaps since there is a new CEO (2020), I've experienced the opposite of quality and good customer care. I cancelled today. I won't spend money on poor quality. I read the US market for netflix has dropped 31% in one year. I wasn't surprised!

Sonya Cole Speedwell, TN

I use to love Netflix. 8.99 a month. It was worth it but now.... over half of the shows aren’t even in ENGLISH or the dub overs are soooo BAD it makes the show bad. Plus they keep going up. 13.99 a month and for what??? Shows we can’t understand! SMH this will be my last month I pay them a dime and I’ve heard so many other ENGLISH Speaking people say the same. Bring on PRIME! At least it’s worth the money you pay and you can understand what they’re saying! Adios netblah!!!

RJL Wynyard, SK

Twice in the last month I’ve had my NF account hacked and used by others. Just today I received NF emails confirming that someone had changed my PW which they infact did. I live in Canada and the hacker/thief was supposedly based in Texas. NF will not lift a finger to correct such matters as it does not cost them a penny. They do not use dual authentication methods which is very hard to understand why in these times . If NF had forced the hacker to meet dual authentication standards this would not have happened. Before I was done cancelling my NF account with Grace on NF chat support, I also received another NF email confirming another pw attempt from someone in Algeria. In both cases I had utilized very secure passwords. Come on NF.... get with the times with your security systems and methods. No one should trust NF with their account info and won’t get my business until they enhance their security systems. Be careful out there ..... J

joshsyoung Long Island City, NY

Just a few days ago my Netflix account was hacked and they changed the email address and password so I couldn't log in anymore. I called Netflix and the situation was (supposed to be) resolved. My account was restored. I changed my password and then added my cell phone number for verification. They told me they never implemented two-step verification like other companies but that I would be ok moving forward. About an hour and a half ago, I received an email notification that my email has been changed. My email and phone numbers are no longer associated with my account and I can't log in to change or cancel my membership. I tried to call and because of the virus, they said their call helpline is down and the online live chat keeps kicking off with wait times flip-flopping from 15 min to 45 min to 1 hour back to 20 min and so on. Then they kick-off and I have to redo it. How is it possible that an internet company even allows the possibility of someone getting into your account and being able to cut off the account holder so easily? MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION IS ATTACHED TO THIS ACCOUNT. This is UNACCEPTABLE. I'm requesting my account be canceled and I'm done with Netflix until they install better security measures. I hope to hear from them soon.

Tana

Just horrible. They have nothing but stupid, unfunny old comedies. Not a single funny show other then family guy is EVER available. They have friends for YEARS instead of always sunny in Philadelphia. For once maybe just get A COUPLE funny show on there?? I can't wait to.cancel my subscription. 10$ a month to ocassionaly watch a movie I saw 10 years ago. Theres only so much family guy I can watch. Other then that Netflix is so useless its unbelievable. I finally found one show that was slightly funny and interesting. Santa clarita diet. The first thing other than family guy that I could actually stand, come to find out they cancelled it.

Rena Van Steele

NETFLIX IS A SLEEZY COMPANY FOR SURE. Yes they increased the price last year,..and WHAM,..another year and it is increasing again. Plus adding the tier system to suck even more money out of you FOR SOMETHING YOU GOT BEFORE THE TIER SYSTEM SO JUST ANOTHER MONEY GRAB ON THEIR PART. I just turned on my netflix and a big sign says increase, agree or cancel. WHAT THE REALLY SLEEZY PART IS THEY HAVE BLOCKED ME EVEN THOUGH I HAVE PAID MY BILL AND AM GOOD TILL END OF JAN. SO THEY ARE FORCING ME TO ACCEPT THE INCREASE,....NOW,......AND WILL NOT GIVE ME ACCESS TO MY SERVICE UNTIL I AGREE OR CANCEL. THIS IS SO BAD. WHY DO I HAVE TO AGREE TO ANYTHING,...NOW,...AND WHY ARE THEY BLOCKING ME UNTIL I DO. BBB HERE I COME. NETFLIX ALSO TOOK AWAY ALL REVIEWS. REVIEWS FOR SHOWS WHICH HELPS TREMENDOUSLY......OR HEY,...PERHAPS THEY DO NOT WANT OTHERS TO SEE THEIR BAD REVIEWS,....DAAAAA AS I AM SURE THIS INCREASE WAS PLANNED. NETFLIX SHOULD NOT BLOCK ME AND MY SERVICE,...AT ANY TIME,...AND SHOVE THEIR INCREASE DOWN MY THROAT,...AS I HAVE PAID FOR IT AND THIS IS A GARBAGE COMPANY BECAUSE OF THIS. HOW ABOUT SOME FREAKING INTEGRITY HERE RATHER THAN THE SLEEZE!!!

Marilynn Green

I joined Netflix for a specific "Netflix only" show, but had planned on keeping the subscription once I joined. But about a month in, someone got ahold of my credit card information from Netflix and proceeded to charge a several hundred dollar charge to my credit card. I called my credit card company, and they canceled my card and sent me another but when I called Netflix to REMOVE my credit card information off their site, they refused. Even after I CANCELED my subscription, they refused to take my cc information off. After a few calls and in knowing the card had been canceled, I quit trying....but would NEVER subscribe to Netflix again because of that situation and their VERY poor concern for their customers!

Mark D Mishawaka, IN

Netflix is now charging $17.99 for its service. So, that’s not looking out for the customers. I find Netflix to be like any other company in the respect that it’ll take it’s good content/shows and get rid of them and replace them with mediocre shows like “Cuties”. The shows and movies that were my favorite and saved are no longer available. So now Netflix wants to charge $17.99 for a service that provides none of the shows/movies that I enjoyed and have enjoyed. I will be cancelling my account.

Timothy Galvin Columbus, OH

I can't believe that in the 21st Century the Netflix service department that barely speaks english can't figure out how to repair access to a hacked account. They are incompetent nit wits and should be arrested for impersonating an entertainment company. I cancelled my subscription and wouldn't use Netflix if it was last option on the planet. Netflix, you suck!

JJ Enterprise, AL

I would give Netflix a ZERO star if I could! We have been Netflix customers for years, but canceled our subscription immediately upon learning of their choice in making a mockery of Jesus and Mary in their original Christmas movie/comedy/parody or whatever they are calling it. We will never, ever support such filth nor a company who promotes such garbage. See ya later Netflix! You are history!

Andy

Their customer service is awful! My account was hacked as a result they suspended it to “protect” my financial information. Ironically they kept giving out conflicting information and what they call “orientation” that did not make any sense. When asked about compensation for the time I need to invest to rest my bank, email, mortgage accounts they said we were able to restore your account! Is this is a joke?! #Netflix this is the lowest of the lowest I have ever seen. Oh and Kelly the supervisor thinks she owns the company ... #netflixsucks!

adam Phoenix, NY

Multiple glitches always preventing netflix from working and you spend countless hours trying to repair. Customer service has no idea and no authority for refund or realistic discounts. Sending you to the tech guys leads to more hours of wasted time as they have no idea what there doing and have yet to fix a single glitch. Stay away from netflix, their movie/tv categories suck anyway

Joan colligan Howell, MI

I have enjoyed Netflix for years as have my children. I recently was notified after years of using the same credit card that this was no longer accepted. I called to ask about why and they could not tell me. Banks problem. Went to the bank, they had no clue what the problem was. Called Netflix back and was treated with extreme rudeness by both the customer service and the manager, whom I had to beg to speak with No resolution, no answer. I believe this is my end of the Netflix era. So many other choices now.

Cathy R Portage, WI

I pay $17 a month for this service because I can't afford cable TV, but this service ends up being removed from devices. I can't afford to go out and buy a new TV or Blue Ray when this happens. I like to watch the big screen in my living room, not on some hand held device that is difficult for someone with MS.

Levos

I got billed for premium instead of standard, after contacting support they just reassured me that it will be okay in the future and according to them they can't do anything about their mistake. I even received 2 emails confirming that my plan is standard and that's what I will be billed for, seems like you can't trust the emails they send you.

Justinas

Took a free month to try it out and it said there will be message to notify when free trial will end. Did not get a message so i was charged for month because i wasn't using it and forgot. Did not think Netflix would use such a cheap tricks to get money.

Skyler Freeston Nairobi, 30

Same programs and films very rarely updates, most of the time doesn't load definitely not worth what they are charging.

d.i. Roseville, MI

Great if you like being inundated with constant leftist/marxist propaganda. Otherwise I would steer clear. Way too much WOKENESS for my taste. I'll stick with Vudu and Amazon Prime.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Netflix is coming out with more original content. Kudos to them for that. I wouldn't say it's really worth the price though. There aren't a ton of options for things to watch that are well-known, the synopsis on most of these movies is very poorly written. While this is a popular brand, it just doesn't live up to the hype to me.

David Mortimer

Netflix has been a very good alternative to Air TV, but lately their original movies have been NR ratings. In reality it is Porn. I know I don't need to watch it and I don't. But it doesn't need to be an option.

Donald Gustafson Colorado Springs, CO

they keep getting rid of shows and they never seem to have any newer movies and shows

Ann Modzelewski

I have it but hardly every use it. I used it for the crown and for a rare movie. I wish it had better movies even if they are old.

Tracy Lebanon, TN

Fraudulent charges from my account were made to Netflix. I do not have a Netflix account and they will not issue refund.

Rhonda Sanford

Anytime a movie or show was interrupted, they were quick to rectify the situation. I greatly appreciate and enjoy the varied selection of shows.

robert hunt Sandy, UT

ok but the movies i want to watch new and old they do not have the other movies i have seen to many times

Rick Austin, TX

Was disappointed in the selection of movies. They seemed to be older movies. Wished they had recently released to DVD movies available.

love the relaxation technique

visit unresolved after many times - also unable to update my email address online

Haley Newman Hamersville, OH

Netflix has continuously uploaded what is in my option inappropriate content. I will no longer support this company.

Sean Ryan Jupiter, FL

They took all their good content off the platform and it has slowly become very bland and boring.