Netflix Logo

8.2

LAST UPDATED: February 28th, 2024

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Moureen Meggers

Not enough good movies. And the Netflix original shows are good, but not enough seasons of them. They start a new one then never make another season or just drop the show. Plus they keep raising prices, no way I am going to pay annually for this. I go month to month and sometimes just quit for a few months and still no good shows.

Christian Nakamura Secaucus, NJ

Netflix has a great selection of media to choose from. I have spent countless hours watching shows and movies with my wife. However, recent decisions they have made about sharing passwords have made myself and most everyone I know very disappointed in Netflix. I haven't cancelled my account yet, but I've considered it many a time. They also continually raise prices, but I suppose that can't be helped in this economy.

TC B Florissant, CO

There are good and bad things about Netflix. I no longer have the service because I struggle with how much they paid Harry and Meg for their sell-out. And now, their customer service has changed as a result of that....probably to try and redeem the millions they paid out to these two. Netflix has fantastic shows....so I struggle because I don't want to support Netflix at all, but they have Grace and Frankie, Dead to Me, and other shows..... It's a battle but right now I am holding off on re-subscribing.

Joseph Faenza Washington, DC

I used Netflix for several years and I always liked them from the beginning with the delivery by mail and then with direct streaming. My experience changed when they continually raised their rates and also started to charge more for more connections. As of now I wouldn’t recommend them as a streaming service provider if you can use something else that’s cheaper.

Marjan Eslami San Diego, CA

These days, Netflix doesn't have as many worthwhile shows or movies to watch. Most of the things I want to watch are not available on Netflix. I'm thinking of canceling my account or pausing it for a while and switching to other streaming services.

Ashley Young

I left Netflix earlier this year. I expect price hikes, that's just unavoidable. I do feel like the quality of movies/tv shows could be improved. I didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth. I swapped to Hulu and Amazon Prime and between these two I always have something to watch.

Ms Missy McDonough, GA

Netflix is hit or miss. The content is good but I often experience lagging and problems with connectivity. This only happens with Netflix and doesn't happen with other streaming services. It's frustrating and makes me prefer other streaming services over them.

Emma Morrill

Netflix is nice to have however we are coming close to canceling our service. With the company trying it’s best to cut down on password sharing, having a family plan isn’t as helpful as it should be. Despite paying extra for this feature we are routinely kicked off because we aren’t in the same area as others watching even though we pay for multiple viewers. Netflix needs to come up with a different idea for making money because it shouldn’t be at the cost of people already paying more for the service.

Charles Galloway Brevard, NC

Good selection. The reason for 3 stars is for TV shows. Alot of the time it takes roo long for past seasons to come out... for netflix original TV shows such as Marco Polo or other shows that get suddenly canceled on fans becomes a drag at times. I'd really like to see a company step up when they decide to cancel a series and make a full length movie to summarize a full ending for their shows for fans instead of leaving cliffhangers and disappointment. Give closure,completion atleast to the fans of your shows..

BBQ Boy! LA

Has great movies and shows. I would like more movies I'm not a series person. My Netflix account got hacked. When I called Netflix gave me a hard time. They couldn't disclose any information. I couldn't access my account for a month and they did not refund me because someone else used it. Only thing they did was set up a new password. Thanks Netflix. No major came out of this.

crunchyfrogs Livingston, TX

Netflix gives members access to thousands of movies and series. The platform could improve by a few simple alterations. The "My List" section should be divided between movies and series. There should be a separate section for foreign language content so it's not mixed in with the English language content. My biggest complaint is that Netflix must feel that adding filthy language and explicit sex increases customer appeal. This is not true. I was excited to see Netflix pick up Designated Survivor because it was one of my favorite series. However, when Netflix took over it was unrecognizable. All the filthy language and explicit sex scenes managed to lose me as a viewer within two episodes. Netlix, we are not all perverts!

Raye Sacramento, CA

Recently had an account stolen: someone logged in halfway around the world, changed email and password so I no longer had access. It was only an annoyance but I had to cancel the account, losing preferences and saved spots to make a new account. I was under the assumption I'd be able to partake of the 30-day trial. They said they could so on my device I had used Netflix before so I didn't qualify. That's fine, we'd probably use it anyway-- but wait, you can see devices to make sure people don't get free stuff but not to have accounts effectively stolen? I then asked if I could have the same billing date as I had been a customer for quite some time (years) and they said I would have to cancel at the end of the month they charged me on my new account (so I got charged twice for this month basically) go without for a few days and then restart the account. This is their brilliant way at handling customer service. I know this is all petty and people will likely scoff, but this seems a bit ridiculous to me. I do like the parental controls, as I have a 3 yo who regularly tries to watch what she shouldn't (she doesn't know of course), and they do have many shows I like. However, because of their late postings of new content I have purchased other services such as Starz and Showtime which is only a few dollars to Prime which I already pay for, along with having Hulu. I think because Netflix is no longer alone in the streaming world I may cancel my service after almost 6 years.

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I've had Netflix for several years now. At first I really liked it but now it's just so-so. I mainly like to watch movies. Maybe for TV shows it's different. But their selection of movies doesn't change enough. When you log in and look at different categories in your account it seems to show the same list of movies under each category. They don't have enough new movies under new releases. I rarely use it anymore but I have a family account so I still have it. For about $13 a month we have 5 users. My kids living away from home are on my account. We use the same log in but then each person has their own sub-account. It's nice so each person can save their preferences. I think some of my kids use it more to watch TV shows. I wish they would add more recent movies.

system is reliable and responsive are positives; viewing options are poor and very little interests me so I keep watching the same shows over and over again.

3 years ago Edited September 14, 2021

Jax W

I’ve been a member for 10 years and just officially cut ties with them. Far too pricey for what it has to offer. If my family member is deployed over seas we will be charged even more. I barely use it as it is. With all the streaming services that are out there I don’t think they should be so picky.

jake mcguire Kansas City, MO

I really have enjoyed using Netflix throughout my life. I have used it since you would order and exchange dvds through the mail. Now they just keep increasing their price and have gone from a company with good customer service, to a seemingly money hungry type of monopoly.

Angela Johnson Lakewood, CA

I finding that about 75% of the movies that are available for streaming our foreign. I pay $15.99/mo for my service...which has increased almost 50% in the past 3-4 years. Why do we have to be subjected to mostly foreign films with lame voice overs? Have they stopped making films in America or has Netflix just decided to go the foreign route to gain more revenue in its pockets?

Q Fort Worth, TX

Netflix Always Starts a Show But Never Finishes It , They will Reel You in To a Good Show , and Leave You Hanging Off a Cliff !!! If they could Ever make a show that Actually Follow Up On They Might Be A Good Choice , But if You Like to Watch Shows that Are 2 or 3 Seasons with No Endings This Might Be What You Are Looking For !!!! Punisher, Santa Clarita Diet, LAs Finest , Etc . ETC

Dee Mattapan, MA

I like Netflix, I'm not crazy about it. I enjoy the fact that I can watch some of my favorite shows that are no longer syndicated. I do get to watch some films and shows I've never seen before, which are pretty good. The only issue I have experienced frequently is that Netflix been having technical issues. I'm on the $8.99 plan and all but I don't think it should be having these type of issues lol.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Netflix has a variety of TV series, including Netflix originals, that are worthy of watching. They usually don't have the most current year of a series. Some of the original series, Like Stranger Things, are very creative and entertaining. The pricing is reasonable. My biggest complaint is that Netflix tends to have a lot of questionable and filthy shows (e.g. Cuties).

Charlie Di Bella Brisbane, QLD

The good - They possess a broad category of genres. The bad - (1) they give up too easily and sell their series to another streaming service like Amazon, eg The Expanse. It's like buying an half-heated chicken at the supermarket. It will eventually make you sick if the service is not completed. (2) they also take too long to release anything in Australia, eg Star Trek Discovery season 3 et al. This makes the change to other providers more considered.

Darlene Floriano Madera, CA

They’ve always done well with very little lag in comparison to other similar companies. But when Smart TV’s came out we had really no need for video streaming devices. Now they have stopped supporting TVs older then 2012. This is not acceptable. So now what we have to buy a new TV to be able to access their services? They should have had a contingency plan in place and allowed for updates to the software.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix's quality has gone down over the past few years in my opinion. I really enjoyed that when Netflix came out that I was able to order movies and stream them. I did not like when they removed that and increased their prices. Overall since them increasing the price I have slowly faded away from Netflix. I prefer other streaming options. And the last straw was when they removed Scrubs from their library. Some of the best T.V. out there and its no longer in their library.

Aubrie Z. Riverton, UT

I really enjoy Netflix and its diversity. I also enjoy the ease of use and NO commercials!!! I also enjoy that entire tv series are on there and stay on there. I only wish that Netflix could air episodes as they air on tv, that way I don't have to wait for the whole season to come out. Also, I wish there were more selections of disney movies! I think it would be nice too if you could filter your preferences more, that way I don't have rated-R movies and tv shows popping up on my recommendations.

S Logan, UT

The selection is wide, but there is a clear social agenda with most of the material. Why can’t we just watch the original story line of Anne of Green Gables without being assaulted every 5 minutes by a message about race, sexual orientation, bullying, trustworthiness, etc. It’s just supposed to be fun. That is a growing theme I’m seeing with Netflix that I don’t particularly love. You need more quality cooking shows! The connection also has lots of problems even when I have a stable hi speed internet connection. That can be rather frustrating when trying to fast forward, which is much easier to do on prime. Interface is also less like able than other streaming services.

Larry G League City, TX

Netflix is not the same as before. There are so many foreign movies and subtitled movies. It is annoying to have to read the whole movie. You can’t focus on the movie.

Stephanie Faenza Phoenix, AZ

Love the shows and is user friendly. Dislike their rules now about sharing. For the price you should be able to use the number of devices no matter where they’re located.

Rick Mathis Greenfield, IN

Netflix is a pretty good platform. It’s getting a little expensive and the problem I have, is I have multiple homes and they want additional money for each home.

Streetglide Marine Lawrenceburg, TN

I enjoy the variety of shows, but every show I’ve watched has homosexual acts in it. You don’t need to force that lifestyle down your viewers throats. I’m quite sure the vast majority of your subscribers aren’t impressed by it.

Kelsey Christenson Orem, UT

The concept of Netflix is fantastic. Tons of shows and movies all in one location for a monthly subscription price. However, even though they have a huge selection, I feel that there is a relatively small amount of content that I actually want to watch. I wish the quality of content was a little bit better.

David Simpson Grove, OK

I thought there would be a larger selection of older films and disappointed that there are very few hot new releases. Spend more time trying to find something good to watch or something we haven't already seen. Watch lots of average movies.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I have had Netflix service for many years. Generally their service has been top notch. I argue with their choice of streaming selections and believe there should be a separate login for "JUNK" that should not be accessible to children.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix has great original shows, probably some of the best. The movie selection isn't that great though. In the past few months, the selection has gotten better but there are still not that many good movies. They are also continually raising prices. If you ever have any problems, it is hard to get ahold of them.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

We utilized Netflix as our tv provider for the past three years. I felt that Netflix had a good variety of tv shows and movies. I felt that the monthly rate was fair for what they offered. My kids especially love Netflix for their wide range of kids shows.

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

I have had an account with Netflix for years now and have enjoyed it. My family uses it more than I do. Some of their created content is good, but much of it stinks, with poor storylines and acting. This service also has a lot of content not suitable for kids and do not have adequate parental controls. They need to step up their game.

Wanda Martinelli

There are a lot of movies but too many with vulgar language. The reviews look good but once you get into it you yo can't stand to go any further. They need to clean up the selections. I like comedies but most of them have bad language.

Ann Bailey Columbus, MS

I am having a harder and harder time finding something I want to watch. When I first started watching I found several series that were very enjoyable but then the suggestions started getting more and more off base fore me. I haven't watch in a while.

Norm Aroundthehome

i use them as part of a family group. it is nice to have a variety of films and programs to view on demand. i think an improvement would be a better way to keu in choices or support voice inquires about movies.. i.e. all films with Brad Pitt..

ousawvh2 Leesburg, VA

Netflix is great for watching TV series and older movies. My biggest complaint about Netflix is I wished they would negotiate an agreement to stream recently released movies instead of me having to visit a Redbox to get a DVD or Blueray.

Eliza Anne Jones Provo, UT

Netflix does not have enough movies!!! Most of the times that I have gone on to search a movie I would like to watch, Netflix does not have it. Netflix is a great streaming site overall but needs to add many more movies. They have an app that is easy to use, and easy access and connection to VidAngel to help edit movies, however, they need a wider variety of shows.

Caroline McLeskey Gilbert, AZ

My satisfaction with my netflix experience has declined in the past few years. The netflix original shows are not of the same quality and the replacement of these with more desirable content has not been welcome. The categories for age preference should also be re figured to include a category for older viewers that does not include mature or R rated content but does not cater to a younger age category.

Laurie CURTIS Boise, ID

We have been watching television with Netflix for several years and are so very pleased with the service. I was a huge Bones fan and had missed several episodes. I binge watched the entire series and was so very happy. It is great to be able to see some movies I missed at the theaters. Getting set up was pretty easy. Sometimes I have to enter codes to use the service from my computer, but I haven't had any difficulty with that and am in quickly.

M Zamora New Braunfels, TX

Not enough new content, price hikes, and every time you want to cancel they finally put the next season of what ever you do want to watch.

Dkn West Valley City, UT

The price continues to go up which is a joke! The selection of available movies isn't great, but they have a lot of Netflix originals to wade through. Some of their content is woke and I would never let my kids near it.

Jessica McAdory Plano, TX

Sometimes you get continual new shows to watch or get hooked on a series that promisses new shows that take too long to come back. the price of netflix is getting to be too expensive.

Jennifer Coman Jackson, TN

The selection of programs have become increasingly less interesting. There aren’t many Netflix original movies or series. There are plenty of international movies to watch but the dubbing is horrible.

ang Milwaukee, WI

Netflix use to be the absolute best. However recent changes to their shows and what they have to offer left me wanting something else. They don’t have the quality shows like they use to.

Michael

Good streaming service, however i find it sometimes difficult to navigate. This service would be awesome if it were explained in plain English rather than all the technical jargon. This approach will be all inclusive.

Andrea Long Beach, MS

We do not have cable, and stream our tv and movies. Netflix usually is the first go-to, but lately I can’t find anything that I want to watch. Never had a problem finding something to watch until recently. Update your selection!

Myra Howes Provo, UT

Used to love Netflix. I do like that there are so many options and it is very easy to navigate. However, I only appreciate a small portion of shows now. So many seem inappropriate. I wish I could filter ratings I wished to see, or content-if I didn't want to see homosexual films come up on my feed or rated R movies or horror.