Netflix Logo

9.3

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

KLF Fort Worth, TX

The app works well with no outages. The movie selection is surprisingly limited.

21 hours ago

Raven Brodsky New York, NY

I love the original content they are making these days! Especially the series they come up with! Always something for a slow week end.

23 hours ago

Donald Gustafson Colorado Springs, CO

they keep getting rid of shows and they never seem to have any newer movies and shows

1 day ago

Kay lynn Tucson, AZ

I love Netflix. I've had it for years. I just wish the Netflix Original series or longer than 10 episodes

cecigilbert25 Arlington, TX

Ive taken up many weekends just binge watching different shows, movies, etc on Netflix! I love the variety.

Mike from Canton North Canton, OH

Wide variety of programs. Replaced cable tv with streaming.

jim krapf Hackensack, NJ

Best shows and affordable. Love the movies

Nona Orlando, FL

Netflix runs smoothly all the time and streaming is rarely interrupted. Their content is suffering lately but you can always rely upon them to keep it going interruption free

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

My favorite streaming site of all. There is something for everyone!! Great value for my entire family to share!

Andrea Wheaton, IL

Netflix has so much to offer for streaming. I love their series and movies that Netflix produces - such good TV! Keep it coming!

Cheyenne Stewart Knoxville, TN

Netflix is a good movie provider but it's always older movies that you've already seen. I think they are a little pricey

wilma lyding Columbia, TN

a lot of choices I dislike so many explicit sexual scenes. why bot let viewers imaginations take over.

Dee Mattapan, MA

I like Netflix, I'm not crazy about it. I enjoy the fact that I can watch some of my favorite shows that are no longer syndicated. I do get to watch some films and shows I've never seen before, which are pretty good. The only issue I have experienced frequently is that Netflix been having technical issues. I'm on the $8.99 plan and all but I don't think it should be having these type of issues lol.

G S Fort Worth, TX

Wide variety of shows, movies. Etc. Inexpensive compared to cable or dish.

jscharm7 Cherry Hill, NJ

Netflix has amazing documentaries on all aspects of true crime. Their reenactments are extremely realistic and always get me hooked. I also love their recommendations.

Thea T. Elkins Park, PA

There's so many choices for entertainment. My girls love the selection of anime that they can watch. My husband and I enjoy the classics and even some of the newer shows that they offer through their service.

Joyce Davis Corvallis, OR

love the Netflix originals!! love the unique productions - YOU, Black Mirror, The Crown, Behind Her Eyes and so much more!

Holly Abramovitz Monett, MO

Netflix has a lot of options and the App itself is easy to use. I dislike that price keeps increasing, just because people use multiple streaming applications these days. Also, Netflix seems to host a lot of political opinionated documentaries and shows. There is also sexually inappropriate content.

Tommi K Young Louisville, KY

I really like Netflix but there are too many movies that sound good but I don't watch them because it is not in English

David Simpson Grove, OK

I thought there would be a larger selection of older films and disappointed that there are very few hot new releases. Spend more time trying to find something good to watch or something we haven't already seen. Watch lots of average movies.

Michael Chavalas Nashville, TN

Original content is equivalent of Bravo or Lifetime channel. Great if you are interested in it, but it is not high quality writing, stories or storytelling.

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

The original content is amazing! I like how I can catch up on older shows as well.

Lawrence Kopp Schaumburg, IL

Sorry to burst the bubble here but Netflix has a substandard system to protect the security of any account. Three days in a row my account was stolen. I called them and had it restored three times just to have it hacked again. I changed PW's every time and finally had to change emails accounts. However after extensive conversations with them its clear all one has to do to change info in my account is to have the email address associated with it. They even changed the phone number and upped the package to HD deluxe. They do not, I repeat do not have a system in place to verify change to account requests like 2 factor verification with is more or less universal. Emails are sent and unless you catch it in time you are screwed. If you are reading this Netflix get 2 factor verification. Its now the standard of the business industry. Just a simple text will work but they tell me they can't send me a text. Astounding.

Na Oshkosh, WI

Likes: go to app and lots of international films/dramas available. Affordable. LOVE the top 10 for a quick choice. Dislikes: can't always find interesting shows to watch.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Netflix is great. I wish that when I log in to Netflix. whatever show or movie is being advertised at the top of the page doesn't start automatically playing. That's very annoying!!!! Netflix needs to keep politics out of their business!!!!

Jessica Lopez , FL

I had Netflix for years, cancelled them in Dec 2020 due to their constant increases and lack of updating their movie selections.

Pega guru Frisco, TX

Series are at best 3 star and movie in 2 star range. They used have good series and movies but losing the charm now. Issue is Netflix has flooded "only" it's brand of movies and series. Netflix brand movies typically are a low budget movies, and sometimes with an agenda. At the end of movie if you feel like being preached instead of being entertained you may not be wrong. TV serials are also being made on stereotype themes, it is repeatative. There is nothing new. I have wasted lot of time on sub par content. I don't want to be too harsh, probably it is also Covid and lack of quality material due to it. But lack of indigenous content is paramount and now an issue.

crunchyfrogs Livingston, TX

Netflix gives members access to thousands of movies and series. The platform could improve by a few simple alterations. The "My List" section should be divided between movies and series. There should be a separate section for foreign language content so it's not mixed in with the English language content. My biggest complaint is that Netflix must feel that adding filthy language and explicit sex increases customer appeal. This is not true. I was excited to see Netflix pick up Designated Survivor because it was one of my favorite series. However, when Netflix took over it was unrecognizable. All the filthy language and explicit sex scenes managed to lose me as a viewer within two episodes. Netlix, we are not all perverts!

Lisa C Johnson Catonsville, MD

Netflix has so many movies to watch that it is impossible to see them all. One negative is that sometimes before you have a chance to finish a movie with many series, it will disappear never to appear again. So its important to watch the series quickly in case they take it away. However, a positive is when you go away for vacation you could watch Netflix on tv where ever you are. We like Netflix but you can be overwhelmed by the amount of movies. I have never had a reason to call customer service.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I have had Netflix service for many years. Generally their service has been top notch. I argue with their choice of streaming selections and believe there should be a separate login for "JUNK" that should not be accessible to children.

Sicely Lyn Russell Phoenix, AZ

I love using Netflix, it has so many options and great show/movies to choose from! The only thing I dislike is that certain movies/ shows go away and I wish that these shows were permanently on there. Other than that it's awesome!

Adam Labrum ,

I love Netflix because they have such a high selection of tv series and movies to watch. There’s no ads either so I don’t have to get interrupted while watching.

Aaliyah Fuller Tallahassee, FL

Netflix has a variety of different movies and TV shows throughout all the genres available. New shows and movies get added a couple of times a month. The only issue I have is Netflix tends to get rid of quality movies and shows and replace them with other shows that are less entertaining, in my opinion. Other than that, there is always a movie or show available to watch with the many different options they have listed.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix has great original shows, probably some of the best. The movie selection isn't that great though. In the past few months, the selection has gotten better but there are still not that many good movies. They are also continually raising prices. If you ever have any problems, it is hard to get ahold of them.

Mezo Uchiha Hamden, CT

One of the best movie subscriptions I have ever subscribed too .. lots of good new movies as well as original ones

Nancy Greenberg Fort Myers, FL

I love the variety of programing available and the quality of the streaming it offers.

ang Milwaukee, WI

Netflix use to be the absolute best. However recent changes to their shows and what they have to offer left me wanting something else. They don’t have the quality shows like they use to.

Christine Vrooman Troy, NY

Shame on you Netflix! How could you take advantage of faithful patrons who depend on your services to get through a pandemic. Really! Netflix undoubtedly profited during from this pandemic and increased members. Therefore, Netflix mind as well take advantage of the situation even more by increasing g rates? Have a heart and empathy towards your loyal patrons and new members. Have Netflix forgotten that we are in the middle of a pandemic? People are mostly unemployed, facing foreclosure, maintains home schooled children. “God” don’t like ugly! or greed! Most people resorted to becoming a Netflix member because it was meeting their financial budget. Not to mention keeping their children occupied with movies without added expense. . What a betrayal for those joining Netflix during a pandemic. The public mind as well joined their local cable service or shopped online for DVD’s. Unfortunately, for Netflix your greed will cause more of your members to cancel. As like me, I’m retired and on a fixed income. Some are living without income. Netflix, this is not the time to increase rates. Netflix will benefit more remaining at the $12.99-$15.99 rate which most can afford. At the end of the day, Word of Mouth Rules far better than unexpected rate increase. Sometimes, America can be so greedy and consumed materialistically. However, most consumers seek a bargain within their budget. This pandemic is, in my opinion, God’s way of saying “stop and observe your life” and it’s rewards. However, ..... no one is listening. Netflix, try putting the people first, for a change. Be safe! From a concerned member! On Saturday, January 30, 2021, Netflix Hi CHRISTINE, We’re updating our prices to bring you more great entertainment. Your monthly price will increase by $2 to $17.99 on February 28, 2021. During a pandemic Netflix would be cruel and a betrayal to increase rates. Netflix is profiting greatly as is and does not need to increase rates at this time. People and devoted patrons and new members deserve patients abs understanding during this difficult time. better!

Nikki Vann Webster, FL

Who doesn't love netflix?! Can make a profile for each member of the house so I can get recommendations on the things pertaining to me. Love Netflix.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

Netflix is a great platform. I like that it is fast, easy to use, user friendly, good variety of shows, and is fairly priced. I wish the limits on users was a little more flexible so that it is not quite as expensive.

Sonya Cole Speedwell, TN

I use to love Netflix. 8.99 a month. It was worth it but now.... over half of the shows aren’t even in ENGLISH or the dub overs are soooo BAD it makes the show bad. Plus they keep going up. 13.99 a month and for what??? Shows we can’t understand! SMH this will be my last month I pay them a dime and I’ve heard so many other ENGLISH Speaking people say the same. Bring on PRIME! At least it’s worth the money you pay and you can understand what they’re saying! Adios netblah!!!

Corbin Short ,

Netflix is obviously a very innovative digital streaming business model. I have been using them since the days of actually ordering DVDs. Netflix provides a great product, one that I am on at least every other night. I will say this: they offer the minimum amount of entertainment to keep me paying what I am paying every month. When the streaming wars started, it was left in the air whether or not Netflix would be something I continue to pay for. Right when I am getting bored with the content on Netflix, they upload something that is just entertaining enough to get me watching again. Kind of sucks, but I guess it works out.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Loved Netflix when it was DVDs through the mail and now streaming is great. Love the new movies every week this year.

Teresa Honey Grove, TX

We have had Netflix for 10 years we love it the series that they put on like virgin river outer banks sons of anarchy and etc on bad weather days it keeps me entertained

A L Whippany, NJ

Netflix has so many different shows and movies available for viewing. My personal favorites are breaking bad and peaky blinders. I am not a huge fan of all the Netflix originals movies - but the documentaries have been nice. If you watch a lot of shows, it is a good value for the subscription price.

john david Dallas, TX

Best Streaming platform for entertianment. Easy to use and availble to download movies for offline. I love this app

Mahilet Getachw Jacksonville, FL

I like that i am able to watch anything that i like whenever i want with no ads interrupting me

Alex The Villages, FL

Shocked the reviews are so high. We are looking to replace it with something else. Largely we enjoy movies. For the most part the movies they offer are older movies, most of which we have seen. The other problem is there are no on screen audience rating such that you spend more time looking for something decent to watch than it's worth. Lately they have been rating the top ten movies (supposedly) that are available on Netflix. Pretty limited selection within the rated feature movies. Prime makes the process much easier in that all movies and series are rated on screen and ratings are not limited to the Netflix audience only. We simply look for something that looks interesting and limit our choices to features rated 4 stars or better, We have basically given up on Netflix. I called Netflix about this issue a few months ago and was told they are "working on something". Would love to hear suggestions about which of the steaming services is the best in terms of their offering's and the quality of their features. Thus far, Amazon Prime is our primary go to steaming service for the reasons mentioned above. We would be more than willing to pay more for newer movies.

maria Robinson Pasadena, TX

The service is good. Good shows. I like the fact their shows have no commercials.

Jeff Burton Flint, MI

I have a problem with Netflix because they have the same shows on for 5 to 6 months with out anything new it is ridiculous