Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Raye
October 15th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

Recently had an account stolen: someone logged in halfway around the world, changed email and password so I no longer had access. It was only an annoyance but I had to cancel the account, losing preferences and saved spots to make a new account. I was under the assumption I'd be able to partake of the 30-day trial. They said they could so on my device I had used Netflix before so I didn't qualify. That's fine, we'd probably use it anyway-- but wait, you can see devices to make sure people don't get free stuff but not to have accounts effectively stolen? I then asked if I could have the same billing date as I had been a customer for quite some time (years) and they said I would have to cancel at the end of the month they charged me on my new account (so I got charged twice for this month basically) go without for a few days and then restart the account. This is their brilliant way at handling customer service. I know this is all petty and people will likely scoff, but this seems a bit ridiculous to me. I do like the parental controls, as I have a 3 yo who regularly tries to watch what she shouldn't (she doesn't know of course), and they do have many shows I like. However, because of their late postings of new content I have purchased other services such as Starz and Showtime which is only a few dollars to Prime which I already pay for, along with having Hulu. I think because Netflix is no longer alone in the streaming world I may cancel my service after almost 6 years.

Dylan Curtis
October 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

If I'd written this review 2 years ago it would be 5 stars. Lately there's been trashy programming getting into my kids's menus and I hate that. Then again, I love Stranger Things, so they still get a 4.

Rick
October 15th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Was disappointed in the selection of movies. They seemed to be older movies. Wished they had recently released to DVD movies available.

Davis Kartchner
October 15th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

As with most other people, I watch Netflix a lot. I love the tv series that are available, but I wish their movie selection was better. It never seems to have the movies I want to watch.

Sam Stewart
October 14th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Netflix is an excellent service that provides high quality entertainment at a low price. Although there are other streaming services, Netflix is the leader in the quality of content and ease of use.

Rebecca Isaksen
October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Netflix is awesome! it gives you everything you need and has a great variety. the user interface is easy to use and there are a lot of different shows. it's​ a great way to procrastinate your life away.

Linda Clark
October 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love the idea of Netflix but it seems like there isn’t much to watch any more which is sad.

Gwen Jones
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Really good selection of films, topics, choices, available on my schedule. etc

John L. Brackin
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

I would enjoy broadway musicals and family movies. NCIS New Orleans would be nice

CRC
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

They provide an excellent variety of streaming programs

Friend
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Good entertainment. Good value for the money. Easy to use and navigate through the choices.

VT
October 14th, 2019 DETAILS

WORST. I will complaint with the BBB. I'm cutting up our cord and will never go back because charging for this lousy service

Victoria
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Netflix has become one of the staples of friend and date night. I love watching my favorite shows with my husband!

Chad Carman
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Netflix. It has so many shows and it is so worth the money. I have always enjoyed it and their customer service is great too.

Greg
October 14th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Love Netflix and I love that they always have new shows that become available. Has all of my favorite tv shows

Cooper
October 14th, 2019 Midway, UT DETAILS

It’s taking over the market and changing the way we think and consume visual entertainment as we know it.

Cameron Clark
October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Netflix. I just hope they lower their price eventually to match Disney+. Either way, great service!

Maddie Scott
October 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really like using netflix, it has a wide variety of things to watch, most of which are family friendly. I watch it with any free time I have and its so worth it.

Sydney Boren
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Netflix is my favorite streaming service. It has some of my favorite original shows!

Rob Lundquist
October 11th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Great movie selections and I love being able to share with family and friends over the years.

Jen Paris
October 11th, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS

We enjoy watching Netflix together as a family, but it's also nice to be able to set up individual profiles so that we can customize who is able to watch what.

Jon Scoresby
October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I've always enjoyed this service. I think the prices a little high though but the service provided is really good. I like being able to watch both TV and movies. Netflix is one reason why I don't have cable anymore.

sydney clark
October 10th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Beautiful company. Wonderful product. Could not have asked for a better (and cheaper) tv supplier.

JF
October 10th, 2019 Rancho Palos Verdes, CA DETAILS

Wife and daughter get lots of use on TV series. I expected a little more selection of hit films but it's definitely a big selection of media for the monthly price

Ed Clark
October 10th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I have been pleased with my Netflix service. I am happy with the unique programming that I have access to.

Adam Moesel
October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Superior video selection and quality. It is perfect for any party or hangout with friends

Spencer Weenig
October 8th, 2019 Midway, UT DETAILS

I love Netflix and think it has a decent movie database also the Netflix originals are well done. The fact they push the commercials of new shows and I can't hide them I don't like. I wish there was an option to not have those suggestions pop up because I hate seeing certain ones.

symber
October 8th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I LOVE Netflix, watching it with my friends and family is one of my favorite things to do. My one complaint is the Netflix originals​ are mostly all rated M and I can't stomach to watch them despite how good the shows are or how bad I want to watch them. I wish there were fewer M's by Netflix or at least a way to take them off my homepage.

Dawson Wolfgramm
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like Netflix a lot but the only thing I have bad about it is that it doesn't have the new movies or any new things. If it keeps up with modern movies it will be amazing!

Susan Harding
October 8th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like the variety but wish the series became available sooner. Some of my favorites are 2 or more years behind.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

Netflix is definitely a favorite! I love to watch Netflix while running or even on a car trip. I really enjoy the downloadable content and the new movies added every week.

Vanessa Moffatt
October 8th, 2019 Lakewood, WA

Love all the different options, only wish they would not take some of the good shows or movies off.

Nanci Gardiner
October 8th, 2019 Goleta, CA DETAILS

Everyone loves Netflix and I have used it in the past. Sometimes it feels like there aren't really that many choices of things I would watch. My main concern, though, relates to them offering me a trial subscription, and me cancelling it, but them not noting the cancellation and my bank account being charged for like 8 months before I happened to notice it. When I brought it to their attention they didn't refund the money. The irony is that during all those months I kept getting emails to "come back to Netflix", but I was already being charged for an account I didn't know I had. I have to admit it left a sour taste in my mouth regarding Netflix.

Annabella
October 7th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Netflix is the most superior streaming service. Although the selection can be problematic, the lack of advertisements and additional payments for certain shows places them above their competition.

Vincent Leuzze
October 7th, 2019 San Jose, CA

Everybody uses this for a reason. The largest selection of relevant shows and movies of any streaming service and constantly updating with new and interesting titles

October 7th, 2019 DETAILS

We recently stopped watching Netflix. No new new movies while they do have some Netflix original and some good b rated movies nothing new in the past two months.

Sarah Watters
October 7th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS

Netflix has so much original content that I can hardly find anything not Netflix-produced and I can't filter them out. Some of their content is quite good, while some is just so-so. They cancelled my favorite Netflix content though - Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Defenders, The Punisher, and Iron Fist - all part of the Marvel TV Universe. Bad move on their part.

Michele Gardner
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have been Netflix subscribers for a number of years and have never had a problem with it. We enjoy many of the movies and TV shows that are available. There is a wide variety that can be enjoyed by all members of our family.

Meredith anderson
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Love the service but wish I could search by rating. Would make it so much easier to find appropriate shows for my different children’s ages.

erin
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Netflix is easily the best company I’ve ever used! Not only are there original series fantastic but they always find a way to play the good old classics! easy to use and a great substitute for cable

Elliott Detien
October 7th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Netflix is great as long as it maintains the office. As soon as the office goes, I go as well.

April
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Netflix is wonderful, and deserves all the recognition it gets from the media! Not only is it very cheap, but you definitely get your money's worth! Tons of movies to choose from, and I find the suggestions to be quite accurate! It is sad when they remove beloved classics like The Office, but they make up for it with stellar original content like Always Be My Maybe!

Amy
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We use Netflix in our home and have enjoyed it. It is great for adults and children. I love that you can block certain shows from being watched by younger viewers. Netflix keeps a variety and changes often enough that there is always something new to watch. We love it.

Stephen
October 7th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

What would we do without Netflix? We honestly watch it every day and it has a lot of great content.

Karen Jorgensen
October 7th, 2019 Washington, UT

At first, Netflix was awesome. But for the past year or two I feel like it’s not as great. It takes forever for new content to come-like a year or more. And the selection is not as great as I’d like it to be. Definite room for improvement there.

Jami Howell
October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS

They have a great selection of movies and TV shows. I would give a 5 star review if they were not losing out on shows like the Office and Parks and Rec in the coming years.

Ellie
October 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We love Netflix as a family! It’s awesome that we can watch our favorite shows on the top!

Dekiah1
October 7th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I can’t live without my Netflix. My favorite part is the rotate out some old and put in some new ever few months or so so that way you always have great options to view!

Chase Smith
October 7th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I think it’s a great service. I have used it for years to stream some of the shows that I love, especially friends.

Tana
October 4th, 2019 DETAILS

Just horrible. They have nothing but stupid, unfunny old comedies. Not a single funny show other then family guy is EVER available. They have friends for YEARS instead of always sunny in Philadelphia. For once maybe just get A COUPLE funny show on there?? I can't wait to.cancel my subscription. 10$ a month to ocassionaly watch a movie I saw 10 years ago. Theres only so much family guy I can watch. Other then that Netflix is so useless its unbelievable. I finally found one show that was slightly funny and interesting. Santa clarita diet. The first thing other than family guy that I could actually stand, come to find out they cancelled it.