Hulu Plus Logo

7.0

Hulu (aka Hulu Plus) is a leading streaming TV service that offers live TV, live sports, Hulu original shows and movies, as well as classic and new offerings from top cable TV and premium channels. The company provides both ad-free and ad-supported subscription plans, a free 30-day trial for all packages, and the opportunity to bundle its streaming services with other streaming providers.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows
  • Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available
  • Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month
  • Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons
  • Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows

In addition to its growing library of Hulu original movies and TV shows, Hulu offers subscribers a formidable catalog from some of the biggest names in television, including 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, CBS Corporation, The CW, Turner Networks, A+E Networks and Discovery Networks, and the following channel lineup:

• ABC
  • Travel Channel
  • USA
  • VH1
  • WGN America

In most cases, subscribers can gain access to newly aired episodes of their favorite shows the day after they air. All streaming content is available through the Hulu app, available via mobile device, computer, or smart TV.

Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available

Each of Hulu's subscription plans offer the first month free. After that, subscribers could pay anywhere between $5.99 to $64.99 per month, depending on their subscription plan:

• Hulu ($5.99 per month) — full access to streaming library via TV, laptop, phone, or tablet; supports up to six user profiles and simultaneous streams on two devices.
  • Hulu (No Ads; $11.99 per month) — all the features of the standard Hulu plan, plus no ads or commercials, as well as the ability to download and watch content for offline viewing.
  • Hulu + Live TV Plan ($64.99 per month) — no cable required to access more than 65 live channels as well as a live TV guide; record live TV with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.

Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month

Hulu customers have the option to bundle Hulu's streaming services with Disney+ and ESPN+ for only $12.99 per month (still cheaper than Netflix and as expensive as Amazon Prime). This streaming bundle gives users access to Disney's complete library, including the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as ESPN's full 30 for 30 series, along with live sports channels.

Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons

For an additional fee, Hulu subscribers can add premium channels like HBO Max, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, and STARZ for hit movies, series, and documentaries. For Hulu + Live TV subscribers, add-ons come with unlimited screens, enhanced DVR storage, entertainment add-ons, and Español add-ons.

Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Active college students qualify for Hulu's student discount, which reduces the cost of the ad-supported plan ($5.99 per month) down to $1.99 per month. Students should note, however, that Hulu does not provide a free trial on its student discount option.

The Bad

Ads and Commercials

The only drawback to Hulu's basic plan is the presence of commercials. These usually only play at the beginning of episodes or movies; however, for newly aired episodes, short ads will play periodically throughout the show. If customers wish to enjoy their viewing experience without ads, they can opt for the ad-free version which is comparable to other ad-free streaming services like Netflix in price.

The Bottom Line

With Hulu, a subscriber can gain access for original content, a live TV streaming service, and thousands of viewing options for as little as $5.99 per month. Users should be prepared to pay more for an ad-free viewing experience, and about about much as they would for any other live streaming service. The ability to bundle with other streaming platform services like Disney+ and ESPN+ offers customers a unique viewing library, and the free trial, cancel anytime policy allows users to try Hulu risk-free.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Hulu Plus is probably just a half-pace behind Amazon Prime and here is why: - No rental options - It's a rather bewildering freemium model with a little less "free" all the time. This comes with the territory, but is worthy of mention nonetheless. Hulu Plus is developing its own set of originals and adding collections of off-network television shows that keeps me coming back. I have Hulu Plus but not the premium-premium account, so I still have to watch commercials and I don't have access to all of the content. As a member of whatever this tier of membership is called, I keep coming back because they have "30 Rock", "Modern Family" and, most importantly, "Malcolm in the Middle." If it weren't for these off-network shows and their original, "PEN15", it might have been a goner for me. I use Hulu Plus to fill the gap of the shows that have been pulled from Netflix and ultimately, I am doing the same "stream chasing" that everyone else is doing. It is of some benefit that Hulu is bundled with Disney+ or I might never have jumped over to that one. Lastly, the interface is a little frustrating. It is much more cumbersome to navigate than Netflix and details are harder to see than on Amazon Prime. Use this service if you want to keep your viewing options of older off-network shows that aren't available on other platforms.

morshed niaz Bogra, 03

The set up, continue watching, remembers the shows I have watched which have new offerings and makes it easy to find them.

1 day ago

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I love Hulu , i am constantly watching movie, tv, live streams all the time. But for certain shows they will tend to show a ad every 10-20 mins which starts to get irritating. But other than that the prices are bad and I’ve never had any problems with the app.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

I like how you can restart tv shows, if I'm late or busy at the time when my favorite show comes on, I can restart it to the beginning.

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

I have a complicated relationship with Hulu ! I love the LIVE feature, especially during football season. BUT it's priced very high, so during the "off season" we switch back to a regular plan. I don't like how many features are limited in the regular plans. Also, our app tends to "glitch" a lot and we get error messages saying "error, cannot be played at this time". Hulu w/ Live has everything we like but I just can't justify the cost month to month, especially since after paying for internet, the cost is more than cable.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Hulu is a great streaming service that has many great shows. One of the better services is that they will have shows on there that are currently airing on TV so if you can't watch it on TV, then you can watch it on Hulu the next day. That is how I keep up with my favorite shows. They also have good movie options and TV shows. I haven't seen too many of their Hulu Originals but I have heard many good things about them.

Sondra Menthers

Fantastic content especially for minority communities. Lots of black shows, Muslim, women and LGBTQ themed shows. Hulu also creates create original content from books such as The Handmaids Tale and Little Fires Everywhere.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

Great streaming service and easy to use. When setting up the account, they ask you what your viewing interests are so you don't have to scroll through what you don't like to get to the good stuff. Very smart!

Julia UP Southbury, CT

Too much commercials, every 5 min each show… same stuff on Prime and Netflix without it

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

I love the service that Hulu provides! I especially love the fact that TV shows that are currently airing are uploaded to Hulu almost immediately after they air on television! My family and I all love Hulu for its wide variety of TV shows and movies that are easily accessible to us!

Darren Cardwell

Hulu offers many shows that I have watched. I've been pleased with the offerings. I've been happy with my Hulu subscription. Only wish they offered more to view at the same time.

Max Chicago, IL

waiting for tthe new series fo handmaids tail, great movie. Please show more series at once, thanks

Ellinor Gray Orem, UT

Great service, Great Selection and 100% worth paying for no commericals. Allows for multiple profiles so you don't lose your place in shows due to other household members watching. Their selection is a higher caliber then Netflix with both depth and comprehension. Only complaint I have is I wish they offered a choice of 4 viewing screens rather then just two or unlimited (each has its own price point). Also had some issues where their online services flagged IP adress as having a proxy when it did not and made the service un-usable without clearing it with their help desk. Otherwise I have loved this service and would pick it over any other streaming service out there.

Sicely Lyn Russell Phoenix, AZ

I think Hulu has great movie options but some shows you have to pay for and I think that it's odd because you already have to pay for Hulu itself.

Bdt1999

They have a wide variety of shows and movies. It's easy to find something to watch, and it's easy to go back to where you left off.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

Hulu is basically my third favorite app for watching movies and shows. One thing I love about Hulu is that there's the live option so you can watch a show or movie as it is airing, its great! It's definitely worth the money!

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Hulu is such a good streaming network for tv shows and movies. The episodes of most shows are uploaded the next day from when they aired so you are able to catch up right away. The movies are a little outdates but there is still a wide variety. There is also a plan to not have any commercials that is not pricey.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

My wife and I use Hulu Plus (w/Live) and it is our only way of watching TV now. We have completely cut the cable and we are now saving 100s of dollars in cable bills now since we only stream with internet now. I don't think we will ever go back to cable or satellite!

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

I am absolutely obsessed with Hulu. Hulu is one of the top streaming applications. It surpasses the rest because it offers live services and streams up to date movies and television shows. Online television can not get any better. Not to mention, this is very affordable.

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

I paid for several different streaming services, but Hulu is the one I use most. They have the most TV series, with most available the next day. Their movie selection is not the best. Lacks parental controls. I would recommend paying a few dollars more, so you can skip the advertisements.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I use Hulu more for TV shows and they often have shows the day after they air on TV so you don't have to wait for the entire season to be released. Not all network shows are on Hulu, but there's still a good selection. I haven't had great luck with movies on Hulu as I do with Netflix. I also was frustrated that the lowest paid service still had commercials. Boo.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

We have used Hulu for years now and love it. It is probably tied for our most used television programming. We use Hulu for TV shows, and Netflix for movies mostly. I love that Hulu has all the old shows I grew up on and keeps up with all of the new shows I like on TV.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

I have the commercial-free Hulu package and it's definitely worth it. I really like that I can keep up with current shows as they come on each week instead of having to wait until the entire season is uploaded. However, shows are frequently removed after a certain amount of time, which makes it difficult to go back and watch previous seasons or episodes.

Aubrie Z. Riverton, UT

I really like being able to watch my shows the day after they air. I like being able to watch them without having to have cable. I also enjoy that it keeps current with the seasons that are airing on tv. That said, I don't like when I can't watch a certain show without having a subscription to network. I pay for a Hulu account so that I don't have to watch cable tv. I wish that seasons would stay on Hulu so that if you missed some you can go back and watch it. I also wish that paying for it meant that I didn't have to watch so many adds. Hulu is nice and convenient, when it is. That's why I gave it a 7.

Jaime American Fork, UT

I have had a subscription to Hulu for the past year, and have loved it! It is so nice to be able to stream past shows plus current shows that I may not be able to watch live! I have cable also, but the other day my DVR messed up and didn't record a show I wanted to see. I was able to go on Hulu and stream the episode I missed! I love that I can watch Hulu on my iPad or phone... so convenient!

betsy fowler Lehi, UT

I LOVE Hulu. Especially recently. I used to use the service as simply a backup to my Netflix account but this past year it has become my preferred streaming channel because it has better content. I enjoy the lack of commercials with my plus account too. I have never had a problem with the streaming service unless I switch from my WIFI to analog. Then I simply have to restart the program. Not a big deal.

Cara Marshall Lehi, UT

We've been with Hulu since the early days before Hulu Plus. It consistently delivers a decent product. Good selection of tv shows, and decent movies. Typically, the show comes out the day after it plays at its normal time. You don't have to wait for the entire season to come out like other providers. It's a good value. Not as good as it was when it was just plain Hulu, but the few extra bucks is completely worth not having to sit through all the commercials.

TyGuy Sandy, UT

I LOVE HULU! Especially their no commercial plan. It's absolutely worth the extra money so you don't watch the same three commercials over and over. My only complaint is episodes disappear too quickly. If I'm several weeks behind, chances are I'll have to wait for the whole season to be released because Hulu will pull the episodes. Other than that, I really love Hulu.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Hulu Plus is way too expensive and they keep raising their prices. They offer very little on their cheaper plans, so you have to spend a lot of money to be able to watch most stuff. Hulu doesn't care about their customers, they are just greedy!!!!! They need to keep politics out of their business!!!!!!

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

Hulu is an amazing app when you are looking for something to watch. There are so many movies and tv show options. I would totally recommend.

Nance Nicholls

I chose Hulu as having the best selection ofprograms for my viewing including sports and live tv. Price was also very reasonable.

Corey Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love my Hulu Plus experience. Being able to enjoy my shows without ads is great. And the added plus about Hulu is that it sometimes has shows that Netflix does not.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I like Hulu but I do find it harder to navigate than some of my other streaming services. We keep it because it has different shows that we like watching.. but if I had to get rid of one it would be the first to go.

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

One of my families favorite things! We love how easy it is to use, and how frequently they update the shows! It's great for adults, teens, and kids! Worth every penny!

Jane M Phoenix, AZ

Would give it 5 stars if you could "always" choose your ad, and/or "skip" the ad after viewing once or twice! I get the same ads over and over, can't skip! Stopped working on most browsers, so that is a minus. On the plus side, price is very affordable! Good Content for me! Like the site!

A’lea Richardson Lakeland, FL

One of my favorite Tv providers. I love that they add the shows the next day after they have aired on TV. They have a lot of deals they do every year which makes it very affordable

Violet Acosta Stewart Gulfport, MS

I watch Hulu on the weekends all day, when I feel stressed out, I just watch shows on Hulu . It's helped me find a ton of extremely enjoyable shows and they always have everything I want

Deanna Walcott, IA

I’ve had Hulu for 2 years now and I’m so obsessed !!!! I love all the movies and shows. I wish they had more of a movie selection, though. Hulu has never gave me any problems. Personally I like it more than Netflix. :)

Kamal Knight

Mostly good. Having Hulu content mixed with TV content can be confusing some times. I enjoy the wide variety of sports that they have, that was the main reason I got it. Checking in with my home network is very annoying. YoutubeTV gave me 3 months in between check ins. I also wish they HuluTV added ABC as a live option, like Youtube does

Heather

I like the shows they offer, seems they have more obscure and not so known as Netflix and take a chance on the series they create. I like that. I have no issues with this service.

Kathleen Watts

I ejoy the opportunity to stream instead of a Comcast contract. I would; however, appreciate a larger type for those programs that require subtitles. They are difficult to read the majority of the time. Overall the experience is a positive one, and the variety of shows is good .

Kristen Westover Spanish Fork, UT

I've used Hulu for years and love it. I'm not a huge fan of the new update though. It's harder to find shows that I watch and specific episode information. I wish it was more user-friendly. But the price is great and I love using it.

Tiffany American Fork, UT

I love being able to watch all of my favorite shows on Hulu Plus. It's affordable and has what I want to watch. My only complaint is I do not like the new interface. I find it hard to navigate and find what I really want to watch. There are several categories and I don't feel like it really highlights what I want to watch.

Kyler Ashby

Hulu is great to have if you want to watch the most recent shows as they premiere. Their up to date content is incredibly nice and they also have a variety of other shows and films not offered by other providers. I would definitely recommend Hulu

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I was not a huge fan of Hulu at all. I actually refused to use it for a long time. However, my fiance is a huge Hulu user, and has been around since they began in 2008. With her influence, I have started enjoying her subscription to Hulu. I like that they have the newest episodes of shows available instead of waiting for a full season to be released on DVD like Netflix. It is still not my favorite streaming service, but it is definitely worth looking at if you like staying current with TV shows.

Quen Wilson Ogden, UT

I really love Hulu for the access to free tv series and how they would always be current, but then Hulu Plus came out and they were charging an unreasonable rate. They have now come down to a reasonable rate that is competitive with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Kenneth Okerlund

I started using Hulu about 4 months ago and have loved it, they have so many shows that I can't find anywhere else, one of which would cost me over 900 dollars to buy all the episodes. I love being able to see episodes the day of release as well. Not perfect, but no major complaints at all!

Trey Farner Norcross, GA

On Hulu plus I am able to watch my favorite anime series at the touch of a button. And my family is on the family plan which makes it much easier for my entire family to enjoy our shows together when we want. But also have the ability to watch our own separate things.

Benjamin LeBlanc Norcross, GA

Who is a great alternative to other movie streaming services. It boasts a large array of original TV shows and movies as well as other movies and television series at his disposal. It’s UI is very favorable and easy to use and it has few bugs in the system. Would recommend.

take7 Sandy, UT

I feel like I never watch real time TV any more because of Hulu. I don't even use cable anymore because of Hulu and other streaming sites. I can binge watch shows from many different channels and pick up where I left off. I like the recommended shows and movies. It is a great price for all that you get especially if you paid for cable.