Hulu Plus Logo

7.0

Hulu (aka Hulu Plus) is a leading streaming TV service that offers live TV, live sports, Hulu original shows and movies, as well as classic and new offerings from top cable TV and premium channels. The company provides both ad-free and ad-supported subscription plans, a free 30-day trial for all packages, and the opportunity to bundle its streaming services with other streaming providers.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows
  • Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available
  • Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month
  • Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons
  • Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows

In addition to its growing library of Hulu original movies and TV shows, Hulu offers subscribers a formidable catalog from some of the biggest names in television, including 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, CBS Corporation, The CW, Turner Networks, A+E Networks and Discovery Networks, and the following channel lineup:

• ABC
  • Travel Channel
  • USA
  • VH1
  • WGN America

In most cases, subscribers can gain access to newly aired episodes of their favorite shows the day after they air. All streaming content is available through the Hulu app, available via mobile device, computer, or smart TV.

Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available

Each of Hulu's subscription plans offer the first month free. After that, subscribers could pay anywhere between $5.99 to $64.99 per month, depending on their subscription plan:

• Hulu ($5.99 per month) — full access to streaming library via TV, laptop, phone, or tablet; supports up to six user profiles and simultaneous streams on two devices.
  • Hulu (No Ads; $11.99 per month) — all the features of the standard Hulu plan, plus no ads or commercials, as well as the ability to download and watch content for offline viewing.
  • Hulu + Live TV Plan ($64.99 per month) — no cable required to access more than 65 live channels as well as a live TV guide; record live TV with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.

Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month

Hulu customers have the option to bundle Hulu's streaming services with Disney+ and ESPN+ for only $12.99 per month (still cheaper than Netflix and as expensive as Amazon Prime). This streaming bundle gives users access to Disney's complete library, including the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as ESPN's full 30 for 30 series, along with live sports channels.

Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons

For an additional fee, Hulu subscribers can add premium channels like HBO Max, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, and STARZ for hit movies, series, and documentaries. For Hulu + Live TV subscribers, add-ons come with unlimited screens, enhanced DVR storage, entertainment add-ons, and Español add-ons.

Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Active college students qualify for Hulu's student discount, which reduces the cost of the ad-supported plan ($5.99 per month) down to $1.99 per month. Students should note, however, that Hulu does not provide a free trial on its student discount option.

The Bad

Ads and Commercials

The only drawback to Hulu's basic plan is the presence of commercials. These usually only play at the beginning of episodes or movies; however, for newly aired episodes, short ads will play periodically throughout the show. If customers wish to enjoy their viewing experience without ads, they can opt for the ad-free version which is comparable to other ad-free streaming services like Netflix in price.

The Bottom Line

With Hulu, a subscriber can gain access for original content, a live TV streaming service, and thousands of viewing options for as little as $5.99 per month. Users should be prepared to pay more for an ad-free viewing experience, and about about much as they would for any other live streaming service. The ability to bundle with other streaming platform services like Disney+ and ESPN+ offers customers a unique viewing library, and the free trial, cancel anytime policy allows users to try Hulu risk-free.

jim krapf Hackensack, NJ

Love how they now have sports at a great price value

Andrea Wheaton, IL

Great streaming service and easy to use. When setting up the account, they ask you what your viewing interests are so you don't have to scroll through what you don't like to get to the good stuff. Very smart!

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

I have a complicated relationship with Hulu ! I love the LIVE feature, especially during football season. BUT it's priced very high, so during the "off season" we switch back to a regular plan. I don't like how many features are limited in the regular plans. Also, our app tends to "glitch" a lot and we get error messages saying "error, cannot be played at this time". Hulu w/ Live has everything we like but I just can't justify the cost month to month, especially since after paying for internet, the cost is more than cable.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Hulu Plus is way too expensive and they keep raising their prices. They offer very little on their cheaper plans, so you have to spend a lot of money to be able to watch most stuff. Hulu doesn't care about their customers, they are just greedy!!!!! They need to keep politics out of their business!!!!!!

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I had Hulu Plus for several years. I loved that you pay a bit more and get rid of commercials!

Sicely Lyn Russell Phoenix, AZ

I think Hulu has great movie options but some shows you have to pay for and I think that it's odd because you already have to pay for Hulu itself.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Hulu is a great streaming service that has many great shows. One of the better services is that they will have shows on there that are currently airing on TV so if you can't watch it on TV, then you can watch it on Hulu the next day. That is how I keep up with my favorite shows. They also have good movie options and TV shows. I haven't seen too many of their Hulu Originals but I have heard many good things about them.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I pay for this service but I'm not sure why...They're stuff is the least favorite of the streaming services I subscribe too.

Mahilet Getachw Jacksonville, FL

Although there are ads i still am able to watch what i want. there are some restrictions though.

John Brown Salt Lake City, UT

I have been enjoying the original selections. Hand Maids Tale is amazing and I can’t wait for the new season.

Bergen Billings Smithfield, UT

Hulu has so much variety in their content I literally could sit on my couch all day watching and never get bored.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

Hulu is an amazing app when you are looking for something to watch. There are so many movies and tv show options. I would totally recommend.

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

I love the service that Hulu provides! I especially love the fact that TV shows that are currently airing are uploaded to Hulu almost immediately after they air on television! My family and I all love Hulu for its wide variety of TV shows and movies that are easily accessible to us!

Cecilia Jones Moselle, MS

The variety of the shows are not that good, but it is cheap for the amount of shows that are on the app.

Jayla Thomas Jacksonville, FL

Hulu is the best streaming service right now! They offer the best content and the most up-to-date shows.

Frederline Jean-Philippe Tallahassee, FL

Never had personal account but really good shows! Very convenient and don’t need cable

Corey Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love my Hulu Plus experience. Being able to enjoy my shows without ads is great. And the added plus about Hulu is that it sometimes has shows that Netflix does not.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

Hulu is basically my third favorite app for watching movies and shows. One thing I love about Hulu is that there's the live option so you can watch a show or movie as it is airing, its great! It's definitely worth the money!

Wendy Park City, UT

I love the ability I have to watch live TV the the app on my phone when I am not around a TV. So convenient!

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I like Hulu but I do find it harder to navigate than some of my other streaming services. We keep it because it has different shows that we like watching.. but if I had to get rid of one it would be the first to go.

Alex Danielson Riverton, UT

We got Hulu Plus because they had what we needed at an awesome price! Never had any issues with service or reliability! I give Hulu A Plus!

Shante Reeder Draper, UT

One of my families favorite things! We love how easy it is to use, and how frequently they update the shows! It's great for adults, teens, and kids! Worth every penny!

Haley Newman Hamersville, OH

I love all of the options on Hulu! I also enjoy that new episodes of shows are uploaded so soon. There is plenty to watch.

Gloria Muskegon, MI

constantly cuts off during movie or programl

Harry Covington, GA

Love that I can still have my local news, and most of the channels and shows I normally watch.

Judy Feldmeier Houston, TX

Like some of the original shows. Wish it had more movies that were different from Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Ladyjojo

Great service, Hulu with Live TV lets you stream live broadcast and cable TV from within a single app. Different plans to choose from.

Gustavo

it's got excellent shows and difersified as well as live streaming

Abram Nicholson

Great selection across multipe spectrums of sports, news and other entertainment

Andrew Flaugher

Great choice of shows for all ages. Choice of movies, tv shows and more. Family members all love it. Something for everyone. Reasonable price for using this service

Rose Jepsen

It's easy to use and share and watch and install and pay and pause and enjoy

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

I’m a huge hulu fan. Used to think it was bad but they’ve upped the options and the interface is smooth. Definitely work it and I like that I can get rid of ads

Rich

Hung up a lot. But plenty of channels . Lots of sports and movies.

Nance Nicholls

I chose Hulu as having the best selection ofprograms for my viewing including sports and live tv. Price was also very reasonable.

Rick

The selection is quite good and uninterrupted. Customer service is professional and helpful.

Sondra Menthers

Fantastic content especially for minority communities. Lots of black shows, Muslim, women and LGBTQ themed shows. Hulu also creates create original content from books such as The Handmaids Tale and Little Fires Everywhere.

Sheryl Wilson

Can watch TV sitcoms after they have viewed on Television. Free movies

Ron Kirk

My experience is very good with HULU. They have a lot of good stuff on.

Steven Fravel

I have had very good service and have enjoyed the service.

Lori Wentzel

All good! So much to choose from! I love the live tv & I have all I need.

Beth

Easy Menu, still unable to get all channels wanted. To many Commericals

Bdt1999

They have a wide variety of shows and movies. It's easy to find something to watch, and it's easy to go back to where you left off.

Gene Pattee

Good app they would not respond to any nquiroes

Jerry Cheesman

Fine, so far. Been a subscriber for 6 months. Enjoy streaming the older TV series.

Darren Cardwell

Hulu offers many shows that I have watched. I've been pleased with the offerings. I've been happy with my Hulu subscription. Only wish they offered more to view at the same time.

Aubrey

Awesome streaming service. Been with Hulu for 4 months. Came from a crappy cable co.

Abel

Was really good because they have a lot shows and movies

Al Avolicino

The cloud recording is almost a joke. Programs are not always recorded, I pay for no commercials and that doesn't always work, just a lot of software problems on their part.

Jane M Phoenix, AZ

Would give it 5 stars if you could "always" choose your ad, and/or "skip" the ad after viewing once or twice! I get the same ads over and over, can't skip! Stopped working on most browsers, so that is a minus. On the plus side, price is very affordable! Good Content for me! Like the site!

brian chorny Bound Brook, NJ

very old content , hard to navigate thru the menus