Hulu Plus Logo

7.3

LAST UPDATED: January 11th, 2023

Hulu (aka Hulu Plus) is a leading streaming TV service that offers live TV, live sports, Hulu original shows and movies, as well as classic and new offerings from top cable TV and premium channels. The company provides both ad-free and ad-supported subscription plans, a free 30-day trial for all packages, and the opportunity to bundle its streaming services with other streaming providers.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#2 YouTube chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#3 Amazon Prime chevron_right

The Good

• Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows
  • Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available
  • Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month
  • Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons
  • Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows

In addition to its growing library of Hulu original movies and TV shows, Hulu offers subscribers a formidable catalog from some of the biggest names in television, including 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, CBS Corporation, The CW, Turner Networks, A+E Networks and Discovery Networks, and the following channel lineup:

• ABC
  • Travel Channel
  • USA
  • VH1
  • WGN America

In most cases, subscribers can gain access to newly aired episodes of their favorite shows the day after they air. All streaming content is available through the Hulu app, available via mobile device, computer, or smart TV.

Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available

Each of Hulu's subscription plans offer the first month free. After that, subscribers could pay anywhere between $5.99 to $64.99 per month, depending on their subscription plan:

• Hulu ($5.99 per month) — full access to streaming library via TV, laptop, phone, or tablet; supports up to six user profiles and simultaneous streams on two devices.
  • Hulu (No Ads; $11.99 per month) — all the features of the standard Hulu plan, plus no ads or commercials, as well as the ability to download and watch content for offline viewing.
  • Hulu + Live TV Plan ($64.99 per month) — no cable required to access more than 65 live channels as well as a live TV guide; record live TV with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.

Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month

Hulu customers have the option to bundle Hulu's streaming services with Disney+ and ESPN+ for only $12.99 per month (still cheaper than Netflix and as expensive as Amazon Prime). This streaming bundle gives users access to Disney's complete library, including the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as ESPN's full 30 for 30 series, along with live sports channels.

Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons

For an additional fee, Hulu subscribers can add premium channels like HBO Max, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, and STARZ for hit movies, series, and documentaries. For Hulu + Live TV subscribers, add-ons come with unlimited screens, enhanced DVR storage, entertainment add-ons, and Español add-ons.

Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Active college students qualify for Hulu's student discount, which reduces the cost of the ad-supported plan ($5.99 per month) down to $1.99 per month. Students should note, however, that Hulu does not provide a free trial on its student discount option.

The Bad

Ads and Commercials

The only drawback to Hulu's basic plan is the presence of commercials. These usually only play at the beginning of episodes or movies; however, for newly aired episodes, short ads will play periodically throughout the show. If customers wish to enjoy their viewing experience without ads, they can opt for the ad-free version which is comparable to other ad-free streaming services like Netflix in price.

The Bottom Line

With Hulu, a subscriber can gain access for original content, a live TV streaming service, and thousands of viewing options for as little as $5.99 per month. Users should be prepared to pay more for an ad-free viewing experience, and about about much as they would for any other live streaming service. The ability to bundle with other streaming platform services like Disney+ and ESPN+ offers customers a unique viewing library, and the free trial, cancel anytime policy allows users to try Hulu risk-free.

Rita Hopkins Austin, TX

Many options and add ons. Can be used on different devices and locations. I have control over what my grandson son can be exposed too. I love my playlist options. I actually got my rate lowered for being a long time member. So I love the rewards.

Kimberly Smith Chicago, IL

I Am A Fan Of Hulu , Hulu Plus ...Anything Hulu!! Wide Variety of Things To Choose From.....I Never had any buffering or connection issues. The Price is fair and somewhat lower when compared to other streaming services. I was invited to try Hulu for 99 cents and was extremely satisfied with the invitation price and glad I decided to try the service. It is Now my "go to" streaming service. If you havent tried Hulu I recommend that you should..I was pleasantly surprised and Am Now a loyal subscriber!! 2 Thumbs Up!

Jason Atlanta, GA

Hulu kinda disappoints me. Seems like they have one really good show at a time and otherwise their options aren't that good. Pretty annoying having to pay extra to not have ads too.

tia robinson Minneapolis, MN

I have paid for Hulu plus in the past and enjoyed watching the many different movies and shows they have. I have very little use for it now so I let it end.

M T Buffalo Grove, IL

Hulu Plus offers many shows for streaming. I like the variety and the option for "Live TV" as well. Great product for the cost,

Ladie Lavender Eastsound, WA

I got their promotion $1.99/month. Worth the money. I appreciate that they have some shows I like, which I can't watch elsewhere. I would not feel same way if I had to pay full price.

ken Lewis Austin, TX

It has my favorite shows. It is my goto streaming service for all my TV shows. My wife binge watch our series and use it for our couch cuddle and unwind time

Natalie

My family did a trial with Hulu Plus but quickly realized the additional expenses for add-on services were not worth it compared to similar providers on the market.

Natalia Jayy Piscataway, NJ

Hulu definitely had good selection (kudos to “Nathan for You”). My only issue is with the lagging and the ads; when I reverse to parts I have already watched I have to go through a complete set of ads. Otherwise, the service is good.

b. ellena Kansas City, MO

I used to love Hulu for the price alone. However, that was back in the day when there wasn't much programming on the platform... so you kind of got what you payed for. Then they started adding some great shows and kept the price relatively low, but as all good things do... this too had to come to an end. The pricing is no doubt fair for what you are getting content wise. Now that Hulu is running with the big dogs for market share it will be interesting who decides to keep what platform! I have faith in you Hulu! Keep bringing us the new hits and we'll stay loyal!!

Dan Ford Redwood City, CA

I'm a big fan of Hulu Plus. I signed up for Hulu Plus + Live 12 months ago when I cut the cord with my cable company. I pay 1/2 as much for TV content and don't need to wade through dozens of foreign language channels I'll never use. Interface takes a little getting used to as it takes a few seconds for content to buffer to appear. Also enjoy their produced content (e.g. Dopesick) and being able to access the service from anywhere I go.

Ladie Lavender Seattle, WA

I tried their free trial and decided not to go for subscription because of the lack of choices compare to other streaming services and the cost is too much. I do like that they have full season of current shows.

Diane Bona Venice, FL

The subscription for streaming is worth the money. Offers other channels to watch and adds new movies and series every week

Silver Surfer Boston, MA

Hulu Plus is great streaming Services but need to add more movies or tv shows to watch and add more old school shows or movies.

Who Knows Baltimore, MD

Hulu plus is an amazing application! In able to constantly stream my favorite shows/movies at the click of a button. So much better then cable! Definitely recommend!

Debbie Hall Las Vegas, NV

This is a great streaming channel with content, originality, and content. I find quite a bit to watch on this streaming service with channels I enjoy. The original content is great, and I watch quite a bit. Also, I appreciate the series that are available that only stream 1-2 seasons. There are British series to select from as well.

Sondra Menthers

Fantastic content especially for minority communities. Lots of black shows, Muslim, women and LGBTQ themed shows. Hulu also creates create original content from books such as The Handmaids Tale and Little Fires Everywhere.

Susan Bowes Aberdeen, WA

i had them and they were great very good selection of movies and at a very good price would reccomend them

Yaminah Williams West Chester, PA

I like that some shows air the episodes at 12am versus waiting all day for it to come on. That’s a win.

Kaylee Gay Chicago, IL

Hulu Plus goes the extra mile for its viewers because it allows you to keep up to date on the latest episodes for your favorite TV shows. I love that I can watch all of my favorite TV shows with no wait time. on their new episodes. I also love that when I was first trying it out, Hulu Plus gave me a 30-day trial to see if I wanted to make a switch. I love that they gave me so much time to decide and I love that they have such a variety of selections. I also love that you can watch Live TV as well. Hulu Plus is definitely with the cost because they give you so many options, no wait time on your latest episodes, and Live TV. I love that it is like cable and streaming service at the same time.

Shantel Palomino Wickliffe, OH

Never a dull moment this keeps me on my toes every movie every genre great way to get up to date movies

Gina Donofrio

When I signed up with Hulu Plus it was very easy and explained everything I needed to know. Customer Service is available and totally knowledgeable.

Candice Allen Houston, TX

Great variety and has a lot of Familiar shows from my childhood easy to operate hassle free keeps up with what ur watching & recommends like shows

CJ Little Rock, AR

I had problems with buffering during programs. Service dropped off and had to re -boot it often. The service is advertised as "ad-free" but it is not ad free. There are ads that you will be unable to fast forward through. If I pay for a streaming tv service I expect an ad-free service to in fact be ad-free. I had the "ad-free" service 8 days and requested it be stopped and monies refunded to me as the service was so poor. I called and was told this was not possible and that I had heavy usage. The service reps were unable to provide me with a reasonable resolution. I offered to pay for the 8 days I used it but that is not possible I was told. Please be ready to deal with problems if you use this service.

Bridget Walker Gulfport, MS

Hulu Plus is a good service. It's a lil pricey but if you have the money to splurge on streaming it's well worth it. I personally don't think that it's the best out there but it's not the worst either. After one month I cancelled my subscription

Rodriquez Perry Columbia, SC

Love love love Hulu they have a lot of shows that Netflix don't have very amazing if you ask me and a lot of old shows and movies from childhood that brings back good memories

Darren Cardwell

Hulu offers many shows that I have watched. I've been pleased with the offerings. I've been happy with my Hulu subscription. Only wish they offered more to view at the same time.

TTall Milton, FL

I’ve been with company for 4 years and there has only been 1 price increase. I have the no adds plan and absolutely love it. I record all new shows and watch during the week. I probably watch Hulu 70% of the time. Keep up the good work

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

After using mainstream cable and sat. services, I was encouraged by my daughter's to make the switch to Hulu plus. Initially I was hesitant because I didn't know much about Hulu plus and was reluctant to losing some of my viewing choices. Fortunately, not only was I able to reduce my cable and sat. rates considerably, I was able to retain my favorite channels and expand my viewing choices with quality programming...did I mention for less than I had been paying monthly for years!?

Wendy Shaw New Haven, CT

Hulu Plus is so much more then Live streaming!! I can watch full seasons of my favorite past shows, current episodes, Hulu Originals , old movies and new hit movies!!! My kids love the Disney + and my husband loves ESPN+...All around win win for whole family....

scotty Inver Grove Heights, MN

Hulu plus is awesome. Easy friendly layout, a few ads to watch but they have a ton of content

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I've come back to Hulu after years of using a different streaming company. I have to say I am impressed with the content available. At first I was using the cheapest version to test the waters, but now that I see I am going to be keeping Hulu around, I splurged and upgraded to commercial free. I highly recommend Hulu. I will never go back to standard cable TV again.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Hulu Plus is probably just a half-pace behind Amazon Prime and here is why: - No rental options - It's a rather bewildering freemium model with a little less "free" all the time. This comes with the territory, but is worthy of mention nonetheless. Hulu Plus is developing its own set of originals and adding collections of off-network television shows that keeps me coming back. I have Hulu Plus but not the premium-premium account, so I still have to watch commercials and I don't have access to all of the content. As a member of whatever this tier of membership is called, I keep coming back because they have "30 Rock", "Modern Family" and, most importantly, "Malcolm in the Middle." If it weren't for these off-network shows and their original, "PEN15", it might have been a goner for me. I use Hulu Plus to fill the gap of the shows that have been pulled from Netflix and ultimately, I am doing the same "stream chasing" that everyone else is doing. It is of some benefit that Hulu is bundled with Disney+ or I might never have jumped over to that one. Lastly, the interface is a little frustrating. It is much more cumbersome to navigate than Netflix and details are harder to see than on Amazon Prime. Use this service if you want to keep your viewing options of older off-network shows that aren't available on other platforms.

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

I have a complicated relationship with Hulu ! I love the LIVE feature, especially during football season. BUT it's priced very high, so during the "off season" we switch back to a regular plan. I don't like how many features are limited in the regular plans. Also, our app tends to "glitch" a lot and we get error messages saying "error, cannot be played at this time". Hulu w/ Live has everything we like but I just can't justify the cost month to month, especially since after paying for internet, the cost is more than cable.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Hulu is a great streaming service that has many great shows. One of the better services is that they will have shows on there that are currently airing on TV so if you can't watch it on TV, then you can watch it on Hulu the next day. That is how I keep up with my favorite shows. They also have good movie options and TV shows. I haven't seen too many of their Hulu Originals but I have heard many good things about them.

Jineice Hamlett The Bronx, NY

I enjoy Hulu I love movies and Hulu had good movies even back in the day movies I would definitely recommend Hulu

Jessica McAdory Plano, TX

4 stars because occasionally if you are watching for too long Hulu just closes other than that love it and have recommended to friends!

Ellinor Gray Orem, UT

Great service, Great Selection and 100% worth paying for no commericals. Allows for multiple profiles so you don't lose your place in shows due to other household members watching. Their selection is a higher caliber then Netflix with both depth and comprehension. Only complaint I have is I wish they offered a choice of 4 viewing screens rather then just two or unlimited (each has its own price point). Also had some issues where their online services flagged IP adress as having a proxy when it did not and made the service un-usable without clearing it with their help desk. Otherwise I have loved this service and would pick it over any other streaming service out there.

Bdt1999

They have a wide variety of shows and movies. It's easy to find something to watch, and it's easy to go back to where you left off.

HO1 Charles Town, WV

Of all the streaming services I use, Hulu is the best. They have the most interesting selection, and are always adding new content. They also seem to have a better selection of older movies than most streaming services.

Joseph Mada Las Vegas, NV

Lower quality than Netflix, lots of add-one, fair price, but I can easily live without it.

Bea ThaTruth San Antonio, TX

You can watch the football games on this streaming service.

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

I have been with Hulu streaming for a few years now, I love how I am able to watch my TV shows the same day they are aired that night night when I get home or the next day, so that I am able to stay up with my shows. I love that I am able to just get it up on my TV and start watching.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

You've gotta pay a little extra and go Plus. I went Plus for sports, Cinemax and ESPN. The movies on Hulu are great and plenty but if you need daily news and sports... GO PLUS. Hulu plus is not part of Amazon Prime, so you won't get it free. $65.00 for over 75 channels is pretty incredible.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

I love this company to stream movies and TV shows. I especially love that they add new episodes to their shows soon after they air, so that we don't have to wait for the entire season to come out at the end like other streaming companies. I also find the "Hulu watch party" to be very convenient.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I love Hulu , i am constantly watching movie, tv, live streams all the time. But for certain shows they will tend to show a ad every 10-20 mins which starts to get irritating. But other than that the prices are bad and I’ve never had any problems with the app.

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

I love the service that Hulu provides! I especially love the fact that TV shows that are currently airing are uploaded to Hulu almost immediately after they air on television! My family and I all love Hulu for its wide variety of TV shows and movies that are easily accessible to us!

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Hulu is such a good streaming network for tv shows and movies. The episodes of most shows are uploaded the next day from when they aired so you are able to catch up right away. The movies are a little outdates but there is still a wide variety. There is also a plan to not have any commercials that is not pricey.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

My wife and I use Hulu Plus (w/Live) and it is our only way of watching TV now. We have completely cut the cable and we are now saving 100s of dollars in cable bills now since we only stream with internet now. I don't think we will ever go back to cable or satellite!

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

I am absolutely obsessed with Hulu. Hulu is one of the top streaming applications. It surpasses the rest because it offers live services and streams up to date movies and television shows. Online television can not get any better. Not to mention, this is very affordable.