HBO Now

HBO Now Logo

5.2

HBO Now

$15 Monthly Fees

HBO Now is a stand-alone streaming TV service for people who do not currently pay for cable TV (like Netflix and Amazon Prime). Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO's content at any time from anywhere. Now you can have higher quality movies without a cable TV contract.

The Good

• High quality movies and tv series
  • Variety of devices available
  • Many original series

High Demand Quality Content

HBO has done a great job of making their past and present content available online. HBO Now currently has over 650 high-quality movies and almost 100 TV series.

Parental Controls

Parents have the ability to filter new releases, but there are some bugs editing out some of the older television shows and movies.

Variety of Devices

HBO Now is available on the following devices: iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Android phones and tablets, Android TV, Amazon Fire tablets, TV, Fire Stick, web browser, Chromecast, and Roku.

Original Series

HBO Now has over 125 original series for subscribers to enjoy. These series are exclusive to HBO and will not be available through any other streaming tv service.

Overall, HBO Now is a great alternative for someone interested in HBO content. It can be streamed on a wide variety of devices and is reasonably priced for high-quality content. Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO anywhere without a TV provider contract.

The Bad

• Streaming issues
  • Higher price
  • Smaller library selection

Price

HBO Now costs $14.99. This is a little more expensive than other streaming services, but HBO Now offers high quality of movies and TV series.

Library Selection and Variety

With HBO Now, subscribers are only going to get access to HBO-driven content. HBO Now doesn't offer the same high volume as some of their competition. However, they do offer over 650 movies and almost 100 TV series to choose from.

Streaming Issues

HBO Now is known to have streaming issues at peak times. In some cases, users may have to restart the app, their device, or even uninstall and reinstall the app altogether.

View Top Rated Companies

The Bottom Line

If you don't have a current HBO subscription, and you want access to a great deal of HBO content, HBO Now is a great option to satisfy that need. HBO Now is a great way to extend your current cable subscription if you want to drop HBO from your current cable provider.

Also, HBO Now can be streamed on a large variety of devices, but the services are not the most competitive if you are looking for a large library of movie options.

We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

1.1

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

HBO is not my favorite. They do not have a good selection of tv shows or movies. Also, the connection is poor. They are not worth the money.

Katrina
May 18th, 2017 Tyler, TX

Absolutely worthless. Always have playback issues or connection issues. If you do manage to get something to play then it stops in the middle of a movie and won't let you finish it. Don't waste your money.

Wes Tandy
May 16th, 2017

Only have 5 good tv shows, takes forever to load new seasons! Terrible movie selection, only has 5 new movies on there and I own them. Just plain shitty selection. And Idk why HBO are tight wadds. If you make a season put 20 episodes on it! Quit with this bullshit 10 episode seasons!(Trash)

Kirby
April 28th, 2017 Davenport, IA

HBO has some great shows, but HBO Now is probably a couple years away from being a viable, reliable service yet. Specific shows would not stream on my Roku. When I tried to open Game of Thrones or Oz it went to a screen which said "Retrieving", where it stayed for a few minutes until the app crashed. I contacted support. Almost immediately I got a response. But that response was asking for all kinds of nonsense information. What version of the Roku software did I have? What version of the app? And most ridiculous of all, what was my IP address? It's called a "log file". Look into it. All of that is in the information contained in YOUR server's log files. What's more, most customers don't even know what an IP address is. And if they do, theirs probably keeps changing as most are not static. I responded immediately with all the requested information. EIGHT DAYS LATER I got a second response. They needed MORE information. Log files, guys. Log files. Selection is not bad. If you have a problem, however, it's apparently forever. Support is under staffed and incompetent as far as I can tell. 8 days of being unable to use one of the most expensive streaming services there is with no hint of it actually being fixed yet is ludicrous.

Frank Grillo
January 4th, 2017 Portsmouth, OH

Streaming issues Higher price Smaller library selection Why can't HBO Now model this like Netflix? Piss poor Management? I play Netflix and My Time Warner App on my 2016 Roku TV without the above mentioned issues. Why? Super, top notch Management. Yeah I'll put up with the HBO Now App Issues during the free trail but for Everytime I have Streaming issues the angrier I get and before the free trail is over I'll uninstall it then I'll share my nightmare experience with My Family, Friends, Co Workers Everyone I come in contact with. Now multiple that times thousands. Now ask yourself this Question Management of HBO Now. What will I have to do, What do I need, to model this piss poor app to have 43 Million Subsribers like the near perfect Netflix? Now get to work and fix it. Zero tolerance for blatant Stupidity. Just fix it Now.

Jim Soper
December 29th, 2016 Anniston, AL

Streaming issues. I have a very fast internet connection 100mbs but HBO now constantly stops and starts. I also am subscribed to Netflix , Hulu and sling and have no problem streaming from those account s.

Tamara Smith
December 4th, 2016 Sherman Oaks, CA

The crappiest streaming out there!!! I have all the streaming channels and guess what? They all work EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE!!! Utter, utter frustration! Go to their help page and they'll try to tell you it's your wifi signal- it's not! Couldn't get my favorite series "Sex in the City" to stream for more than a few minutes w/ out buffering endlessly! Found the whole series on Amazon and no problemo! Streamed just fine. Pathetic service and would expect way, way more from a company like this. I've cancelled my subscription twice and now am on my 3rd hoping that they'd have their shit together by now (12/3/16)- THEY DON'T! Save your money and frustration level and just avoid it. Will be canceling 3rd subscription now.

Rick Osborn
November 15th, 2016 Decatur, GA

This app is poorly set up trying to access to the shows you want can be difficult. The rewind and forward capabilities are poor compared to Netflix or Amazon and the signal must be weak at times unwatchable.

Doug
November 5th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Wanted to see Obama on Bill Mayer. Ended up watching it on YouTube even though I pay $15/month for HBO Now. Because it is not Now. Should be called HBO Later. The episode aired 10pm eastern and here it is 11:15pm pacific 4 hours and 15 minutes later the episode is still not available to watch.

Tim Igo
October 28th, 2016

They literally won't let you download it unless you have an apple device or a tablet when it clearly says on their website that you can use your computer. That is blatant false advertising. I guess I can't pay to watch Game of Thrones, my money just isn't good enough for HBO.

Lina Wang
October 19th, 2016

Trying to redeem Costco TV's HBO NOW credit since Aug. 25 and today is Oct 19. I've been getting the run around and no one wants to be accountable. Very, very poor. We love Costco and have always gotten great customer service from them. Perhaps HBO Now can learn from Costco...

Randal Woody
September 30th, 2016 Raleigh, NC

Very limited selection of movies. Also, the movies are not updated fast enough at least for me. I have watched almost all of the movies in the SCI-FI category. Not much has been updated. They do have some really good box office blockbusters along with a mix of lame 1 or 2-star movies. Its seems that along with good content several are not so good thus "watering down" the quality of the content with cheap fillers. If it wasn't for Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and possibly Westworld I would not be a subscriber. So the conclusion is for me to look for other methods to watch my favorite TV shows without feeling ripped off. As for going back to having a dedicated cable or subscriber service, there is about a 99% chance this will never happen. We had been paying almost 200.00 per month. Granted we had just about every movie channel out there to watch. We came to the fact this was a massive waste of money going to the greedy as hell cable companies. 50.00 a month to watch everything would be fair! 50.00 without the added fees, (Allowance for robbery fee, Fee for paying for a fee. Fee for paying with money. Fee for taxes after we already have paid our taxes fee.

Holly
August 6th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Streaming on Roku is just awful. All other streaming channels work fine, but HBO Now buffers constantly and sometimes it just stops altogether. You can't rewind or fast forward withou huge buffering times and freezes. The content is limited and only one or two movies worth watching. I'm not sure it's worth the monthly fee and am considering cancelling it.

Aduys
September 1st, 2016 Coral Gables, FL

HBO NOW new series never stream on Apple TV. All the old series stream perfectly at $14.99 per month the service is horrible and not worth the cost.

Peggy
July 5th, 2016 Roswell, GA

Good selection of shows...but they do nt have a resume viewing tab..so it takes forever to get back to the place where you stopped viewing. Also their technical support / customer support iis horrendous. I sat on the phone for 40 mins before it was answered, and then it took me 30 mins, with a very patient customer service person to rectify the problem. However the technical department had finished working ( Friday pm at 6) and would nt be working again till Monday, so I would have to wait till then. Forward 10 days...the problem still has nt been resolved...even after again talking to hbonow customer service...they can t give me a deadline as to when it will be.!! Dreadful?

cindy O
June 30th, 2016 Skandia, MI

It's a scam on the public. They have oversold so it will never improve. Everything mentioned is true...the constant loading, please wait that takes 5 min for every minute watched, the useless customer service, etc. I have a 3 mo free subscription and am cancelling one month in because it's so bad. I can't imagine anyone actually paying for this.

Kirby Bakken
June 23rd, 2016 Kasson, MN

Yes, $15/month is a little spendy. But for a show, or shows like Game of Thrones, does 50 cents per night to watch really seem that bad? That's my positive point. The negative, is that Roku HBO Go app is pretty decent. Shows you 'snapshots' of future and past video so you have some clue to where you are fast forwarding to. Seriously HBO, who wants to watch 1 minute of the same intro before every show? So, we fast-forward over it. With GO, that's easy. But with 'Now', you have to guess how long to fast forward for, no clue to where you're going to. HBO, PLEASE FIX THIS.

Danny Krupp
June 22nd, 2016 New York, NY

Many users will be aware that HBO NOW was down just as the Game of Thrones episode "The Battle of the Bastards" was set to air on Sunday night. There was the predictable (and perfectly appropriate) Twitter onslaught as many, many fans were unable to watch their beloved show. In our case—and I'm sure many others—GOT is the main reason we pay so much money to subscribe to HBO. In any case, I emailed HBO customer service to ask for them to make amends. (After all, if this had been any other paid event, such as a dinner out at a restaurant or a movie in a theatre, the management of a quality establishment would have both apologized and compensated their viewers appropriately.) I got a boilerplate response that ignored the content of my complaint. When I pointed out that their response was inappropriate, I recieved a second, equally boilerplate response that again missed the mark. I pointed this out again and let them know that I would be canceling my subscription if they did not attempt to recompense me. I received, immediately, a boilerplate reply explaining how to cancel my subscription. No apology, and no attempt at resititution. I will be canceling my subscription before the end of the next pay cycle.

Matthew Jackson
June 17th, 2016 Lonoke, AR

We bought this service to watch one program, and we've experimented watching it on different evenings. However, regardless of when we try and watch it, it stops playing every 2 minutes or so and stays stuck until I go restart it. We stream 4k content without problem, but HBONow just sucks. They didn't plan the on their servers at all. Horrible service.

sandrinilla
June 13th, 2016 Fort Lauderdale, FL

Amazing that HBO offers real old movies and for $15 a month totally not worth it! All movies HBO streams are even 30 years old... OMG I wasn't even born yet

Chantel
June 13th, 2016 Memphis, TN

Cost is way too high for what you get. Soon they will be selling their precious content to a company that can manage their product better.

Ray Hetherington
May 28th, 2016 Lakeville, MN

I get 60+ megs through my ISP. I almost never get dropped by Netflix. But, I almost always get dropped bt HBO Now. I get dropped about three times per hour of Game of Thrones that I watch. I then have to re-start the app and re-find my place in the episode. HBO Now sucks, technically. Also, their interface sucks compared to Netflix. You can't simply add a season of episodes to your watch list, you have to do it one episode at a time! HBO Now sucks!

Lesley
May 12th, 2016 Jacksonville, FL

HBO now for roku is awful. I will not be keeping it past the free trial period. Sound and picture have to be adjusted differently to other streaming channels which makes it cumbersome. If you pause during an episode or movie for too long, you can't resume from where you left off (resume option starts the episode /movie from the beginning so you have to scroll through and try to remember where you watched to). Glitchy going from one episode / movie to the next, usually have to exit the channel and go back. Does not navigate as quickly as hulu or netflix. Overall pretty crap for what they expect you to pay for it

Anshul Singh
May 6th, 2016 Dallas, TX

Like millions of other people, I was unable to log in for the GOT premier. That's when the real nightmare started. Out of all of the correspondence I sent them, HBO Now only responded once to tell me they were working on the issue. A week later and they haven't worked on jack. To make matters worse, I tried to reset my password, and the email to reset never comes through to my email. That's right, there customer service is incompetent, they can't even generate an email to reset a password. I have literally tried to reset it 15 times, and each time neither my inbox or my spam folder has nothing from them.

Nick
April 25th, 2016 Lancaster, NY

Have heard a bunch of people talking about HBO NOW and was pretty excited to finally check it out and catch up on some good shows ive been missing out on. I downloaded the app and set up the free trial and everything to find out not only do they not let me use HBO and claim I need to renew my just started subscription that was the free month trial and pay the 14.99 to use it, but they removed the billing and payment info tab so I cannot even cancel and unsubscribe to get out of it. Ive gone through everything to try to find out how to unsubscribe and it seems the only thing I can do is get someone on the phone to take care of it at this point. Ive messaged on twitter, emailed their support and even sat on the phone on hold for over 2 hours to have nobody answer. All in all, If you wanna get jerked around and have to jump through numerous hoops to try out a service that doesn't even have everything your looking for and waste copious amounts of your time, then HBO NOW is your app!

Lynne
April 25th, 2016 Reynoldsburg, OH

Constant freezing. I have to reset my Roku all the time now. I'm battling through b/c of GOT but I swear; it bites.

Yosef Good
April 25th, 2016 Cedar Rapids, IA

I mean it took me an hour to get this setup and I can not hook it up so I can watch on my xbox but only my small phone HBO is secretly working for APPLE and other companies so we have to buy an iPad they make this as hard to use as possible with Netflix you can just login and use it with this you need a phd in their version of pure stupidity. Not even worth chewed up gum on the ground let alone 14.99 I wish I knew a way to get in touch with HBO to find out why they would do this but I have no idea how to do that

rick W
April 20th, 2016 Lindale, TX

HBO is not worth $14.99 per month, For $16 a month you can get HULU and Netflix, 5000 + movies and use a computer. Is HBO going backwards in time as people are dumping cable and satellite in the millions now. Cables dead and broadband is king, watch what you want, when you want with no sorry medical, lawyers and fake insurance commercials. CUT CABLE......

Donovan Coffey
April 5th, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

Literally screwed everyone over and refuse to fix service on computers and phones. Unable to watch and customer service won't help. Cancelled subscription

Smooth Move
February 25th, 2016 Ephrata, PA

I just completed a 30 free trial of HBO Now through ROKU. Ii is the worst experience I have ever had. Broken streams, freezes and hardware lockups that I do not have with any other channel on both my ROKU units, one streaming Stick and one console. The absolute worst part is HBO customer service. I could not sign onto the website, always getting a "Subscription needs renewed" message. I finally contacted support and was assured they would fix the sin on problem and then take care of the other problems after I gave them a copy of my purchase invoice and ROKU serial numbers. I sent them off and wrote them again 2 weeks later. The again assured me they were fixing the problem. EVERY time I wanted to watch a different HBO program I had to reset the ROKU box. Support never fixed anything and I was never successful signing on the the website to change settings on my account. Fortunately I was able to control the account through ROKU and cancel. I will never go back to HBO and I do not recommend HBO Now to anyone. I DO recommend if you are going to try it sign on through ROKU or another third party so you can cancel if you need to.

Michael
August 10th, 2015 Omaha, NE

$14 a month is a little high for just non live shows, the best would be shows they show live but you have to wait a day to see those!