Disney+ Logo

7.3

LAST UPDATED: August 3rd, 2022

Disney Plus, The Walt Disney Company’s new streaming service, is set to launch in November 2019. From the content lineup, critics and fans expect the service to pose strong competition to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services. Prior to now, Disney’s content has been available through other streaming businesses, but now the content will phase out of other businesses and only be available on Disney Plus.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#2 YouTube chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#3 Amazon Prime chevron_right

The Good

• Exclusive Content
  • Low Price
  • Growing Library
  • Potential Bundle with Hulu

Exclusive Content

Up until now, Disney content has been displayed mostly on Netflix. However, now all of Disney’s new releases and original content will be exclusively available for streaming on Disney Plus. In addition to new and classic Disney films, series, and shorts, Disney Plus will also feature content from Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm (Star Wars), and National Geographic. The service will also have exclusive rights to all 30 seasons of The Simpsons.

For Star Wars and Marvel fans, Disney Plus is a must. The service will debut series whose stories are intertwined with upcoming feature films. The Marvel series include Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye, Falcon and Winter Soldier, and What If…?. The Star Wars series include The Mandalorian, a Cassian Andor series, and others. In order to fully understand the plot of the new movies, you’ll need to be up to date on the series.

Low Price

Disney Plus launches with an initial price of $7 per month, or $70 per year. This is incredibly low for the quality of content. Netflix’s most basic plan starts at $9 per month. However, commentators speculate that Disney’s $7 per month price will increase as the amount of content on the platform and its popularity increase.

Growing Library

Though Disney Plus’s library of content will start quite a bit smaller than its top competitor Netflix, it has plans to add a substantial amount of content in the next few years. Disney CEO Bob Iger informed shareholders that Disney Plus will eventually include all of Disney’s movie library, including movies in the “Disney Vault” that have been kept out of circulation.

Potential Bundle with Hulu

As Hulu is a subsidiary of Disney, there are rumors that Disney Plus will be available as a Hulu add-on.

The Bad

• Might Not Have a Free Trial
  • Price Might Increase
  • No Third-Party Shows or Films

Might Not Have a Free Trial

Though it’s pretty customary for streaming services to offer a free trial before you subscribe, Disney Plus hasn’t mentioned any kind of trial period on its website.

Price Might Increase

Disney Plus itself has made comments that hint to the subscription’s price increasing, perhaps even in the first year of after service’s release. Though right now it’s advertised as $7 per month, the price is bound to increase quickly.

No Third-Party Shows or Films

Disney Plus will only feature content from its own studios and its partner studios. This will include content from Marvel, Lucasfilm, National Geographic, and Pixar. Though this is quality content, other streaming services have more varied content.

The Bottom Line

If you like Disney, Pixar, Marvel, or Star Wars, this streaming service is the place to be. Though we don’t yet have enough information to review the functionality of the product, the customer service, or customer satisfaction, the content lineup and competitive price are impressive.

D. Jones Arlington, TX

If you love Disney, you'll love Disney + . Imagine having every Disney classic movie, every Disney sitcom, and all the Star Wars, Marvel, and a lot more on demand when ever you want. That pretty much sums it up.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

I haver enjoy viewing Disney+ and they have very good content. I worked with their customer service and problems, and they resolved my problems quickly. I wish they would add more adult content as they are 90 percent geared toward kids viewing.

HO1 Charles Town, WV

Disney+ started off with a small but good selection of Disney films. It seems to be growing, but I'd still like to see more of the old classic Disney as a lot of the newer stuff is not up to the same quality.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

They are for sure not as many movies for adults but I love that I can see so many different movies from Disney. This makes it so much nicer than having all the DVDs. I’ll be honest I got rid of most of our DVDs after this came out. Although if you were into Star Wars stuff I’d say this is definitely a big sell point. The national geographics part is pretty cool

Jonathan Leverence

It's still missing some of the Marvel Movies but it's got a good selection of classic Disney movies and shows.

Brianna bourgeois Long Beach, MS

They have very good movies new and old however I do see myself missing some movies that aren’t on the app. For example: Ice Age. I think it is over priced but I am also great full for the childhood originals on the app.

April aphe8493 Castle Rock, CO

I love Disney plus. Its really nice that all of the movies are right at your finger tips. I think I used it a lot more when I first got it though. But when the next season for the mandalorian and high school musical the musical the series are out I won't regret having it.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The pricing options are good and the range of films and tv shows is large. Also, the Disney+ originals are amazing! However, since Disney+ surfaced other streaming services are at an extreme disadvantage.

Ellie American Fork, UT

The app is well organized and easy to find your way around. Since Disney covers so much there is a wide variety of things to watch which makes it a good investment for the whole family

jkenny90 , TX

I love the new original content they have put out so far, but I'm not sure that I will continue to pay for the service based on what is available right now. Hopefully more content will be made available.

June Cazier Layton, UT

Disney+ is fantastic! There are so many available movies on Disney+ and it's a really kid friendly site! It's easy to find what you're looking for and so nice to have all the Disney content available.

Jenna Bagley American Fork, UT

Disney+ is awesome, I love having most of the disney movies at my finger tips. I will say the one thing that disappointed me was that they dont have the movie "Life Size" on there. One of my favorites as a kid!

Juan Beaver, PA

I love the new disney + app. My favorite part is i can watch any old movie or disney show. Brings back memories. although im disappointed i thought there would be more content so im hoping they add more.

zoe Pleasant Grove, UT

disney plus has almost every disney movie ever made. it’s super helpful for little children where all their favorite movies are in one place!! pretty cheap

Kaydence Bonino Riverton, UT

Disney+ is great for when you need some fun disney movies to watch! Disney+ would also work great for a fun date night. This would be an awesome way to watch movies!

Laura Mccall Yuba City, CA

My kids love it. I love that I can find older stuff on there.

Seth Boudoin ,

Has ALL of my favorite Disney media. From Star Wars to old princesses, great for watching with my cousins and catching up in old shows.

kaylee Salt Lake City, UT

Great! I love being able to see movies that you can’t buy anymore! It’s a bit of a downside that not all movies are on there though.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Great selection of entertainment. Easy to use.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

Finally somewhere I can watch all of my childhood favorite movies and tv shows that I forgot about

Jennifer Wilson Salt Lake City, UT

Our family is loving Disney Plus. The Mandalorian is awesome! We like all the shows and movies so readily available

Halle Rex ,

There are so many incredible movie and television shows on here but the app crashes and glitches a lot.

Nicholas Cloward Salt Lake City, UT

Glad they did this. They have a ton of stuff to watch. Excited to see it grow overtime

Mirna Hanna Tallahassee, FL

Great quality of movies! Such a great service