Crunchyroll provides anime on demand giving users access to thousands of hours of videos and different episodes of popular Asian content. This online service was founded by UC Berkley graduates in 2006. There are more than 5 million users of Crunchyroll's online service.

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Device availability
  • Premium options
  • Great user experience

Variety of Streaming Devices

Crunchyroll works on a large variety of streaming devices such as, WiiU, Chromecast, XBox One, XBox 360, PlayStation 3, 4 and Vita, Apple iOS, Windows Phone, Apple TV, Google TV, Roku.

Plenty of Content

While Crunchyroll is designed for a very niche market, there is a lot of content available online.

Premium Option

Subscribers can upgrade to a Premium or Premium+ account and have access to even more features such as; all anime and drama within one hour of airing, all Manga, live streaming on all devices.

Social Functionality

There is an element of social functionality included with Crunchyroll; chat rooms, a place to get video recommendations, and an area to compete in contests to earn badges.

Even though Crunchyroll is a narrow, very specific market, anime fans receive a lot of great features with Crunchyroll. From a large option of devices to stream videos to a fun social element, Crunchyroll creates a great user experience. In addition, subscribers have access to a very large database of videos and can choose to upgrade to Premium or Premium+ to access even more content.

The Bad

• Poor quality streaming
  • Lacks English-dubbing
  • Customer service

Poor Streaming Quality

The quality and resolution of streaming is poor compared to Hulu and Netflix.

English-dubbed Titles

Crunchyroll lacks English-dubbed titles for their videos. While there is a list of titles that include English dubbing, the list is disorganized.

Limited Customer Service

While Crunchyroll does have a pretty thorough FAQ, customer service overall is very limited.

Focus of Service

While Crunchyroll has a ton of content for their "anime on demand" market segment, their efforts to amass all anime did result in a loss of quality. Even though Crunchyroll is geared towards a specific market, there are some concerns to note with Crunchyroll's service. In addition, their streaming quality is poor at times and they lack English-dubbing for their subscribers.

View Top Rated Companies

The Bottom Line

Crunchyroll is not a traditional streaming platform due to the limited subject manner they host on their website. While they offer a wide variety of anime content, those who want to see content in other genres will have to get an additional subscription. Though they have a fun social component, overall, the quality of video for the paid subscriptions is considered relatively poor. We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

3.0

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We started using cruncyroll to stream anime. It has a great selection for anime, but we have found it to be very spotty in reliability. Sometimes we get great streaming and other times all we get is buffering.

alberto villasenor
July 26th, 2019 Woodinville, WA DETAILS

Their collection of old and new anime is solid. However they have the worst "Customer Service" ever it's very slow and its rare when they fix your issue. The service itself is also really awful at switching between devices and keeping track if your a premium member. would not recommend to anyone.

Taylor Walker
May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT

I really like anime so I really like this service. They have a huge selection of anime both old and new and they seem to be pretty up to date with current seasons. I also like that it can be free with ads.

Myles Cox
May 29th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS

Every anime I'm interested in is available on the service and it's fairly easy to find something new I would enjoy.

Liana
May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

Their selection of titles is some of the best around, with good free options. Honestly, I would go with the free option over the paid options if you are willing to be a week behind or only binge watch. However, their player is ancient, still relying on flash.

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I downloaded this on my smart TV just for my grandson that is really into anime. His favorite show is Attack on Titan! Its free or you can upgrade to premium for only $6.99 a month. I think it is awesome to have Crunchyroll specifically for lovers of anime. I would recommend it to both old and young!

SqueezedRNG
March 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Tons of ads, do not use the free service.

Tyree Newkirk
January 16th, 2019 Cedar Fort, UT

Too many ads but when I actually get to watching my show I always love having all the anime I can watch my nerd self comes out!

Dasha Directo
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Crunchyroll has a lot to offer. It's great when you don't know what you want to watch because there are a lot of options to choose from.

Alain
January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT

Crunchy roll is great for finding the perfect anime. For me Attack on titan, Dragon Ball Z, Yugioh. Quick internet and speedy advertisement/commercials.

MaKayla Christiansen
January 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Crunchy Roll is such an amazing source to watch all of your favorite anime’s. They have so many selections when it comes to the different genres of anime. They add shows almost right after they air in Japan. So it is amazing to keep up with my shows.

McKenzie Christiansen
December 31st, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Crunchyroll. It’s the only place I go to watch Anime. Always has the latest releases as well as old classics. Super easy to navigate through the platform and has a wonderful variety of anime.

Darius Williams
December 12th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

best to watch any of my favorite anime series without having to pay for a subscription!!!

Mildred Carter
December 10th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Crunchyroll is by far the BEST source to stream anime. There's both older anime, as well as newer releases. If you want to go through and watch the entirety of Naruto, you can. If you want to go through and watch Hunter x Hunter, you can. It's fantastic. Not to mention they also constantly give out guest passes that you can give to your friends.

Spencer Scoville
December 6th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I rather enjoy watching my favorite anime on my phone for free. I love how many options there are and how easy it is to navigate.

Fernando Delgado
December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ

I love using this to watch all of my animes. It's pretty convienent. I don't think it has all of the animes I look for but it has a pretty large variety. Only thing I don't like is the constant ads, which could go away if I paid.

Alex miller
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Crunchyroll is a great place to view all my favorite anime shows any time I want, because of their convince and great selection.

Abigail scoville
November 2nd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Crunchyroll has never ceased to disappoint, the selection of anime on this site is extensive and can keep you busy for hours buy not paying a thing and just having to watch a few ads here and there. If you wanted to spend some money to avoid the ads you can pay for premium but I personally think it tops the mark for most easily accessible anime watching app on any device.

Cody Enslow
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Best place for finding good anime’s. There’s a few that I couldn’t find though and I’m not an avid anime watcher, so I was surprised to have any trouble.

wanda
August 31st, 2018 Saint George, UT

you can use this FREE or pay for the upgrade to avoid commercials and ads. i chose the FREE because i wanted to see what the difference was from all the others. in the first 20 minutes, i counted over 5 commercials and ads. due to the many ads it kept buffering which was so annoying. then i will just log me off for no reason. was not impressed with Crunchyroll.

Joshua Langley
July 20th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

A lot of content is free and the payment for full access to all shows is reasonable. All shows have subtitles and many have both subtitles and dubbed English versions. Commercials are nonexistent with a membership.

Christina Masterson
May 21st, 2018 Wallace, ID DETAILS

Great anime selection. Too bad even as a premium member, you won't get to see it due to server errors.

Katie Hope
May 2nd, 2018 Easton, PA DETAILS

We love this service! Good programming for kids and adults! Could not live without it.

J Cole
January 29th, 2018 Raymore, MO DETAILS

Paid Subscriber for 3+ Years. Streaming quality is poor, Sundays the service is almost unusable. Customer Service is non existent.

Donald Fencl
December 27th, 2017 DETAILS

Way to many commercials for even free like 4 per 20 min flim BUT there 5 30 second ones per stop so do the math 4 x 5 about 20 30 second videos no thanks!

Emerald Scott
December 6th, 2017 West Jordan, UT

I use the free service and it is alright. I don't mind waiting for the episodes, but the apps on devices are severely lacking in available options to watch.

Matt Shea
June 26th, 2017

Account downgraded to free user but still pay for premium. Xbox one app always crashes.

Lee
June 5th, 2017 Daphne, AL

Used the free service for a few weeks and decided to switch to the paid add-free account. My account is saved but I am not getting the add-free service because I "can only have one free trial per payment method" even though I never used the card. Me and MANY others have run into this problem without any means to navigate the issue. All prompts lead us back to the same message. Crunchyroll hasnt answered anyone asking for help and their customer service site is a joke. I dont know why people hype this site up so much...

Kenneth Okerlund
June 1st, 2017

I am a big fan of watching Anime with subtitles instead of it being English dubbed, but if you prefer the English dub then probably not for you. I like how there are so many platforms that this runs on, but their site/app it just feels clunky and laggy. I have a hard time getting consistent loads for videos.

Nicholas moss
August 21st, 2016

Could not find any titles dubbed in English, something that they don't advertise, there was no options to give feedback and you have to wait to cancel free trial. A very sloppy job in all, was exited for months to try it thinking that once I paid for it I would have an option to select English Dubbed titles as the descriptions and summary's are all in English. Spent the whole first day combing through them trying to find something that I didn't have to read to enjoy, what a massive disappointment! And then not to be able to give the company feedback so they might be able to remedy this was annoying as ..... Well I'm sure you get it.

MMikael
July 25th, 2016

A Good site for people who like anime and manga. There is some interference's in steaming time to time but most of a quality is good. I hope that site has a better tools to list series I like.

Rinny Fischer
July 5th, 2016 Ballwin, MO

I have a few complaints about Crunchyroll, mostly that they boast an extensive library of anime, but they lack most anime that was exposed to the US in the 1990's and early 2000's, which is what millennialis, who will be primarily ordering their service, want to watch. Not one of my top 10 animes are available, and for a streaming service specializing in anime that's quite a few. My next complaint would be the amount of ads that you have to sit through, I primarily watch anime that only streams for about 10 minutes per episode, and I have to sit through 4-6 ads per episode, depending on how many times it glitches out and shows me the same ad over and over! That too many ads for a service I pay for! My third complaint would be that the free trial is misleading. The 2 week free trial period was NOT supposed to be for the premium membership, but had all the features of the premium membership like having a que (which is bogus, and should be for the standard membership.) and ad-free, and with a much better streaming quality. Once you pay for the standard membership the quality drops off DRAMATICALLY. I would keep close track of your free trial membership and cancel fast once it's up, in my opinion it's not at all worth paying for.

Timothy Capps
May 12th, 2016 Lakeland, FL

To whom it may concern, I have been a Crunchyroll premium subscriber for 3 years. I have never had any problems and have been very pleased with my account. Yes at times the streaming can be poor, but it is still way better than trying to find some anime on youtube or some other anime site and i did say "at times" about half the time I stream at 1080p with no problem. The premium membership is worth it and cost no more than netfix or hulu and if your looking for anime neither of those compare to Crunchyroll. As far as customer support goes, even if it is limited, there is practically no need. I really cannot remember a time I had to use there customer support because everything always works. Have I had my phone stop working, yes. Have I had my PS3 stop working, yes. Have I had my internet cut out, yes. But these are all normal problem that have occurred over 3 years and it has never been at the fault of Crunchyroll. Lastly, yes Crunchyroll will not have every single anime or drama or manga, but does netflix have every movie or telvision series, No. I would highly suggest Crunchyroll to anyone, anytime, anywhere, because I have always been completely satisfied with Crunchyroll.

Laura Meghan Brooks
February 4th, 2016 Orlando, FL

Crunchyroll recently had a promotion in which you get a free japancrate for signing up. After months of emails to japancrate and crunchyroll they've decided not to honor the promotion. Japancrate stated that crunchyroll duplicated the promo codes and didn't generate more and will not respond to them. Crunchyroll stated that I can delete my account but they aren't honoring the promo anymore. Japancrate said there were many people with the same issue and they will send me free samples and coupons. I believe Crunchyroll was deceptive in this promotion and never had any intention in honoring it.

Brittany
August 21st, 2015 Elkton, MD

I downloaded the app and wanted to see the anime selections available. I clicked one anime and it asks to try prime for 14 days free. I said no. Proceeded to watch the anime but it rolled nothing but ads for half an hour.