Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love using Spotify. I pay for a premium membership and it is definitely worth the money. I rarely find a song that I want that isn't included and I love being able to download songs to my phone.

Natalie Dillon
April 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. It is such a great deal, especially if you are a student. It is only 5 dollars a month for unlimited streaming and a subscription to Hulu! The music selection is endless, and the sound quality of the music is flawless.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Recently figured out how to use spotify and I love it. I was amazed you could pay a small fee each month and get all the music you wanted. I was paying for each song individually. Awesome!

Trent
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

I really like Spotify and I think that they are better than Pandora.

Chase Huntzinger
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify! I used to use iTunes. Never going back. Much more worth it to pay the monthly subscription. It has an excellent $4.99/month deal for students too. I'll stick with Spotify forever.

Nathan
April 11th, 2018 Layton, UT

Spotify has a very good selection of music to choose from and they are also priced very well, very good quality.

Brette
April 10th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify it has been so easy for me and my family to use, also it is very affordable as a student with great benefits

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. It is the only music streaming app I will use. It has all of the music, podcasts, and radio stations I can think of. They also have a great deal where you get half off of Spotify Premium if you are a student, which makes it very inexpensive. I would definitely recommend.

Braydon Bronson
December 19th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

I have used Spotify for approximately 6 years now. Within these 6 years I have absolutely loved Spotify. Never have I had a bad experience.

Erin Jones
December 19th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

The best! It's so user friendly and easy to create any playlist you want or just subscribe to an already existing one. The only thing I would change is allowing more than one user to listen to your playlist at a time. If someone else is listening to it, you can't, you have to pay for a new user subscription.

TJ
December 18th, 2017 DETAILS

I have used Spotify for 6 years now and I love it! It is the only way I listen to music and everyone that I come in contact with that doesn't use it gets a freakin sales pitch and a half! Glad Taylor Swift finally saw the light.

Suzanna Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

The only complaint I have about spotify is that they don't offer edited/clean versions of songs.

Allen Bronson
December 18th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

Love the selection. Love the versatility to be able to make my own playlists, listen to an album, listen to singles, categories or listen to similar kind of music to what I am listening to. I really like the freedom to listen to what I want to without commercials. Sometimes have a problem with the web player that poops out and I have to logout, close out and reopen.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I have used it a couple of times and like that I can select specific songs to create a play list however I have a hard time working the program.

Sarah Coats
December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great! I love being able to select and pick whatever songs I want to. Their shuffle playlists are not the best.

William
December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT

Spotify is a great option for listening to music if you want to create your own playlists. It doesn't offer up many new options but it is cool to share lists with friends and family. I would recommend it.

Patrick
December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I am a paying customer of Spotify and these guys are great. However it is a bit embarrassing. Spotify just told me I have listened to 57,000 minutes (39 days) of music this year. That's a lot. They have an amazing database of music. They also just added podcasts. Why would you ever leave?

Krystal
December 12th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love being able to stream/download any song at any time. It is also nice that since you have the ability to download a song you are able to listen to music anytime and not have to worry about using your data at the same time! I also love that you have access to the newest songs and albums that are released. There are no annoying ads and it also has playlists already created so you are able to discover new artists.

Carlee Toone
December 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I use Spotify everyday. It works well on my phone and I can almost always find the music I'm looking for. I wish the UI was clearer or easier to use, especially when looking at albums that are not as recent for an artist.

Valerie Gundersen
December 12th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Spotify has all the music I love! I like the playlists they suggest for me as well!

Cassidy Gundersen
December 12th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I use Spotify all the time when I’m at home. I have an Echo Dot, and I love that you can connect Alexa to Spotify. I play music through it all the time. The only downside is that my husband and I use the same account, and so sometimes we hijack it from the other person. We could just use our own separate accounts, but we’re cheap.

Lindsey
December 11th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Spotify is perfect if you are looking to stream music. You can personalize what music you listen to with playlists.

Evan Rasmussen
November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Great user interface. very user friendly. just has a limited collection.

Danielle
November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT

I have many family members that love Spotify. I tried it out but was not impressed with the price. Especially since Pandora is free. Spotify seemed confusing to use as well.

Alex Rogerson
November 29th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify - especially the pre made playlists, but I wish they would have an option like Pandora does to eliminate harsh language. I hesitate to turn on any playlist in the car when my children are with me.

Jill Dastrup
November 27th, 2017 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Love Spotify!! Something I definitely couldn’t live without. I do wish there was an easier way to find edited music or have that option like Pandora does.

Ruby
November 16th, 2017 Louisville, KY

I’ve been trying to get premium with the student discount for two days. SheerID won’t send me the confirmation email and Spotify told me that I just have to wait until SheerID wants to get back with me. I’m sticking with Apple Music.

Nichole Davidson
November 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify! Their music selection is vast with great recommendations and playlists. There are so many users on Spotify that create public playlists that you can always find new music or a great playlist if you're in too much of a hurry to create your own. They also do Spotify Sessions where artists will work with them to do a few different versions of their songs - mini private concerts like. Spotify also has language courses and audible books so your monthly fee gets you much more than music. Great user interface on their site, computer app and mobile app - easy to navigate with good and relative recommendations. Service is easy to cancel as it's only month to month.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Spotify is pretty good! I love how you have access to almost every artist and album out there but the commercials can get obnoxious and you can't pick any song you want if you don't pay for the subscription.

Derek Heiner
November 6th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

My only complaint about Spotify is that it's really difficult to find clean versions of songs. I know they have them on there but it's really hard to find them. The student price is really good though and the selection of music they have is perfect.

Brooke
November 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Never was a fan of Spotify. Too many adds. Everyone should get google play!

Alex Murphy
November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I love being able to get playlists from my friends. Their product has helped me to find some really great music.

Landon
October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

My favorite thing about Spotify is the ability to find new artists. I've been using it for a couple of months now and it has helped me find so many new artists to listen to and I love it.

David
October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Decent selection of music and decent app. Compatibility with some systems like Linux is not great. If you're playing it out of a browser it's a pain.

Hyrum
October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

The family plan is a great value. I enjoy having access to a nearly unlimited library without having to buy all music. And I like that you can download playlist so when you don't have internet, you can still listen to anything you like.

John Lambdin
October 25th, 2017 Leesburg, VA

New music is available on release dates.

Andy Cogbill
October 10th, 2017 IL

Immediate, helpful response leading to my greater understanding of the product. What more could I want??

simon wraight
October 2nd, 2017

Spotify is a nice app but despite users asking for over 5 years they are unable to implement an explicit filter, this despite tagging every explicit song. This means that around 99% of their playlists are not suitable for childrens ears, work places or anywhere else that explicit language is not suitable.

Carlie Andrews
September 29th, 2017

I really dislike the fact that Spotify has podcasts available on all devices such as iPod, tablets, desktops and laptops etc. The main reason for why I have Spotify is to listen to the podcasts!

Destin’e
September 29th, 2017

I requested 3 times to have my single placed under the correct artist name on their website. It wasn’t until i contacted them through twitter did i get a response and started working on it.

tito doni
September 29th, 2017

The service and the product great. I have enjoy it. And compare to other service this one is what I think is the best

Kalli Miner
September 29th, 2017 Newton, IA

Spotify is my jam, I use it absolutely everyday. Im a musician and a music enthusiast generally and recharge my soul via my premium account. I've even set up my company with an account and they LOVE IT. Spotify is dope, keep doing what you're doing. And pay The Weepies more. They're brilliant.

Oskars Baltais
September 29th, 2017

Spotify is great. More and more artists are entering it. The playlists are fine. However, there is an issue that has been irritating me ever since. I am paying for Premium and listen to Discover Weekly every week since it tends to have some good suggestions. I never listen to German music and I have only a couple (like 2) French songs in my playlists but I keep on having multiple German/French songs in the playlist. I always skip them ASAP and I believe there should be a filter in the algorithm that should recognize that the reason why I skip a song in most is the language.

Tomas Giraldo
September 28th, 2017 Bensalem, PA

Helpful CSR got me going quickly, although the overall family signup process could be much more streamlined.

Thayz Gonzalez
September 22nd, 2017 West Palm Beach, FL

I just wish that music groups like GOT7 and TWICE had more of their albums out on Spotify. For example, whenever BTS has something new, it’s appears on Spotify.

Mojibola Obadimeji
September 22nd, 2017

Spotify is really good , nice songs and playlists, customer service on Twitter is a bit slow but they definitely reply. Sound quality is good but they need to increase the sound output, compared to Apple Music and soundcloud their sound quality is a bit shaky.

Jessica N
September 22nd, 2017 Riverview, FL

Concise, to the point, friendly and helpful!

Chuck Rowland
September 20th, 2017

After using the free version of Spotify I paid for Premium service to remove the ads for a full year. The nearly $90 dollar charge was of course immediately taken from my account but the service never worked. This is also fraud because their own website says "to wait a few days" the years worth of service will end one year later not a year and a few days even if it worked a few days later like they suggest. I contacted spotifycares on Twitter because their website is not helpful contacting any real person. They offered a refund if I followed their link from Twitter but i never received it. I contacted spotifycares on Twitter asking where my refund is and they never responded. I filed a claim directly with my bank which I received on 9/19/17. I have never had any problems with a music App before. My phone is less than a year old and state of the art fully up to date. The customer service was hit and miss since sometimes they didn't respond. False advertising too when you tell customers to wait days until activation yet take their money out right away. I will never use anything but their free service until I find a replacement. I don't trust Spotify.

Blake Wilcox
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify offers great music selection for great prices. I like the free trial and the 99 cent for 3 months deal. Also, I like how you can follow your friends and their music choices. Spotify is a great way to find the exact music you like and enjoy it for the right price.

Lindsay H.
June 12th, 2017 Draper, UT

Spotify has a large selection of music and it is easy to find music and add it to your playlists. I like that you can download music to play offline. Overall, Spotify is very user-friendly.