Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Preston Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Spotify has all of the music that I have looked for , I love it.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

This is a great music streaming company and my kids love it for the ease in which you can use it. Well worth it!

Matthew

I like it. They have a great selection of songs and are easy to use. 4/5

J Paul Wright
August 28th, 2018 Central, UT DETAILS

I have used Spotify and I love the Queue option and the large selection of music. We have used it extensively when we are with others. Even quite obscure music can be found and many can find a selection of musich. We are very much considering paying for our own premium account for the benefits of having all that music availablity.

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

I love spotify. Spotify has all albums available free to listen and stream to. It's really great! You can listen to albums before buying it. The app is also great. It connects anywhere we travel when on the road.

Meliame Selu
August 24th, 2018 Layton, UT

They provide us with some good music without any commercial.

Rashida Laumatia
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Love the music but others I wish it would be edited. Even when I type in the song and the word “clean” after it, it still slips some unedited songs in there.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My college kids love Spotify because they give a discounted rate to students. As a parent I appreciate that.

Ashley Gneiting
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love to use Spotify because I can make as many of my own playlists that I want and listen to them constantly without interruption.

Lesa Burgess
August 21st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

For Spotify to be worth purchasing is upgrading on the mobile app. The unlimited skips, double your bit rate & ability to listen offline are all features that I take advantage with this upgraded service. Spotify is the way of the music streaming future!

Mallory Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

LOVE spotify. It gives you pretty much unlimited access to music, and I love that I get to make my own playlists and spotify will give you suggestions for what songs they thing you could add to those playlists. I use the download feature all the time so that I can listen to music while I run in places without service. I pay the student price which is FANTASTIC and comes with a free hulu subscription.

Spencer Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have really enjoyed having Spotify, and I am a huge fan of their student deals. They have a great price and the premium is amazing. I can listen to whatever I want to whenever to. They also have a great music generator that keeps bringing more songs that I love to my attention.

Anika Larson
August 21st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Spotify Premium has changed the way I listen to music for the better. I've used it just about every day for the past year or so. There are a few small improvements that I would like to be made, such as improving the shuffle feature so it is more random and being able to swipe to the right/left to save a song or add it to your queue on other devices other than just apple.

Jodie Larson
August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Love, love, love my Spotify account! The family plan is a great value and every member of my family loves it!

James Nelson
August 2nd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

Have loved this product. So user friendly, reasonably priced and extensive with selection.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Easy to use platform and has all latest music. Kind of a bummer we have to wait for some artists but its not there fault.

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love Spotify all around. The only thing I want them to add is being able to get to the bottom of a playlist (where all your recently added music gets added) without having to scroll all the way down.

Jenny whipple
July 31st, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I love being able to follow others playlists. I hate having to pay for an account to be able to choose the order of my songs.

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Having almost every song ever at your fingertips is a powerful feeling. They have everything! And they make little playlists according to what I've been listening to and they are always spot on. I highly recommend. Even without premium it's a great service.

Sally Albright
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

I love spotify. I generally do not pay for a subscription which really hinders my spotify happiness, especially abroad. But spotify truly broadens my musical horizons and for a very cheap student price, I know I could continue that enlightenment in Europe.

Taylor Vance
July 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I love the discover weekly feature. I do not have time these days to look into new music and this does it for me, and it does a great job.

Anna Hu
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

Spotify has legitimately changed my life. Music is a big part of my life, and I love every single service Spotify offers. I love being able to share and connect music with my friends, I love the customized playlists they make for me (weekly customized playlist for you as well as weekly newly released songs you would like), and the variety of pre-made Spotify playlists for a variety of settings, moods, and situations. Whether I need background study music or need to put on music for a party, Spotify has something there for you. I am constantly able to find new music and easily share it with my friends.

Jack N
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

I love Spotify because I haven’t found any music that I am interested that isn’t on their. Especially with premium because it is very easy to use haha

Joshua Langley
July 20th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I love Spotify. Family plans make it cheap and easy to give all your family members unlimited access to almost any song you can think of. The customer service has been very quick and helpful with resolving issues and has been happy while doing so.

Mallory
July 20th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

The suggested songs and playlists spotify provides are spot on. Spotify premium can be adapted for every person. It is easy to use and worth the money.

Cody Linden
July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Free which is always a bonus. Suggested playlists are well made and streaming quality has never been an issue. Solid choice for chill listening.

Spencer Hodgson
July 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Unlimited amount of music and only $5 a month, such a great deal.

Boston Whipple
July 17th, 2018 Provo, UT

Spotify is a very convenient and easy way to have all the music I want in one place. I like that I can make playlists and that they generate new playlists for me based on songs I listen to. I do not like that there is no option to remove explicit songs from the playlists they make or the songs they suggest. I also have noticed that even when an artist creates clean versions of songs, Spotify does not have them.

Rob Whipple
July 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

My go-to music source. I have paid for Spotify premium but it is too expensive. I would go back to it if it were more reasonable.

Karen Nelson
July 16th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We used to have several different forms of accessing music, but Spotify has taken over in our house. I love how easy it is to find anything you want.

Shelene Cooley
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Love the music options. So many to choose from. super happy for this service.

Jess Root
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We use this on our computer all the time while kids do homework. I love finding new music before spending money on it.

Amy Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Love Spotify!! my son recommended that we get the family account and we have all really enjoyed using this app. The music is amazing to have all the new and latest artists and their songs.

Brayden D.
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is by far the best app to listen to music on. It has every song and I get to create my very own playlists with all my favorite songs! I am so happy I have Spotify.

Estefi Arreola Leyva
June 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is a good app to play streaming music. What I like about the app is how you can leave the app when music is playing and go onto another app. They have all sorts of songs on the app that you can create a playlist for. Spotify releases songs that recently come out from music artists, you can listen to all their albums. Spotify allows to pay for getting the app to play songs with add free, and it's not expensive. The app is fun to be on because you can play different artist's music.

Trista Siren
June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great music, and variety of songs. Although recently there has been some issues for my music. I do not have premium, but it shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the song. There's nothing wrong with my data and I don't know if it's from a new update, but it's been pretty bothering.

Troy Siren
June 27th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Absolutely the best! Playlists are easy to create and store. Product works great.

Trent Allen
June 25th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Love how easy it is to use. Access to any type of music our family desires. Super easy to use so you have access to exactly what you want.

michelle l pierce
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great music service, A little pricey to pay for. But it is good music

Tysen Rohner
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great app that lets you play today's latest music for free and make your own playlist.