Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Clifford Sees
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I wanted to hear a specific artist, who I know is on Spotify, but a search only revealed other people'a playlists, which did not necessarily include that artist.

Ozioma Nwokike
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I only use Spotify on my laptop because regardless of having Spotify Premium, I can play any song I want. However, it doesn't work that way on my phone because I don't have premium.

Tonishia Oliver
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I enjoy using Spotify. I get to listen to all my favorite artists and I'm introduced to new artist and find new favorites. I like that I get to download music as well. My only suggestion for improvement would be more clear directions for downloading.

Lisa
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I live that you can choose many different types of music

Avis Gregory
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Absolutely nothing, I love the way the site recommend new music

Janine Murphy
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Great options, but I wish there were more feee skips.

Scott Dexter
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Make it easier to make your own stations

orlando cedeno
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Can find most all types of music with no issues.Would.like to see clean versions of popular songs. Have a choice to here clean versions..

M Ward
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Rip off company that charges more in certain countries, it costs more to listen to in France than in the UK and is cheaper still in the USA.

Michael Steen
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Overall very good, I would like to be able to talk with a tech or a person!!

Heather
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

i like the variety, they have just about anything, old, not so old, new, every genre on the planet.

Steve E Puckett
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Love it overall, would like it to be easier in syncing my songs to personal playlist

Jonathan N Frank
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

This product sounds the best and has more music then most.....

George Paredes
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good, i like the vast library of music it has. I only wish they would have more remix of certain songs.

Gary White
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent / Add some more of the earlier music from some artists

David Young
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Like the higher bit rates but the bandwidth usage is just too tremendous for most mobil users on a budget

Stephen Crowley
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent service, love the family plan sharing with 5 family members, content is great!

Mandy
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It's essy and allows me to listen to anything I want

Shirley Moore
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

The program is easy to use. I might like it to be a bit less expensive.

S Smith
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good so far. I like the selection and interface, it's easy to use. They could do better on the radio functions and it's hard to find the non-explicit content in mobile app.

Robin Thill
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Everyday! I had to contact them only one time and my issue was handled quickly and professional

Veronica Oliver
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I like the artist offered but the same songs are constantly played

Hiba a Nakhlawi
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

They make is easy to create great playlists and connect with other like minded music lovers. I've been a fan and finally decided to pay for a membership and haven't looked back since. Not having adds and always having the right song at my fingertips has changed the game for my workouts and car rides.

Joyce
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good. They have most of the music I enjoy listening to and I can access them on my computer, cell phone, google home and alexa.

Olivia
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

My overall experience has been great! It would be nice to only pay $9 again though. $15 a month is a bit much to have commercial free music.

Melissa Gillings
September 24th, 2018 DETAILS

Playlist options are great. Great variety of music! My son loves the new suggested music! It has helped him find a lot of new artists and favorite songs!

Nikkibornright
September 24th, 2018 Channelview, TX DETAILS

Love it anything you could possibly want to listen to is there. Great price.

Savanah Gugyelka
September 24th, 2018

I love the variety of music they provide! They have a lot of advertisments but I'm sure that's what makes the premium worth it.

Amber
September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I liked Spotify okay. I liked that I could share my playlists and follow other people to listen to their playlists. The only thing I found annoying was that there were some songs I couldn’t find or if I did find them it wasn’t the original arrangement of it. For instance, I was trying to add some Def Leppard songs and I could only find remixed songs that they put together more recently. I just wanted the classics.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 20th, 2018 Alpine, UT

My daughter LOVES Spotify! All her favorite songs in one place... She loves the lack of commercials and the constant streaming or downloading of music! Ear buds in and Spotify on is how that girl rolls! :)

Kimberly Maddock
September 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

A little while ago I was with a different music service and wasn't really loving it. My friends kept recommending Spotify so I finally switched over and have loved it! I get all the music I love for a very reasonable price!

Lauren Maddock
September 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Spotify is an awesome way to listen to all your favorite music for a very reasonable price! Me and my friends use it all the time and we love it! Before I had another plan with a different music business but ever since I switched to Spotify, I have been very happy with their price, and now I can listen to all the music I want to!

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

I have loved Spotify in all the years I’ve used it. I love how it makes playlists for you and how there are so many choices of music.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify for the free app and ease of use. I’m thinking of upgrading to premium for an even better experience. Love it!

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

My son uses Spotify and loves it. User friendly and he loves that he doesn't have to pay for the service. It doesn't seem to bother too much that you have to listen to the ads.

Melissa Reinoso
August 31st, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I have a few accounts with you and you guys are nothing but greta to work with and I have no complaints with this company. They try to make sure that your questions are answered and they don't make you feel pressure to keep using them if you aren't really getting your monies worth if you don't use it enough which is not the case here.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I like Spotify. It gives me almost every song I search for. It makes listening to music on my PC easy. I don't like all the ads that come up. I am too cheap to pay for the no ad version.

Kim Miller
August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Couldn't get through my day without my Spotify music. Great variety and I love that I can make my own playlists and listen to exactly what I want to.

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Spotify is amazing! We love how we can pretty much listen to whatever we want when we want. The app is simple to use as well

Douglas Larson
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Love being able to listen to whatever, whenever! They also let me retrieve playlists from friends and family, so if I hear some songs I like, it is very easy to find them.