Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

David Mallory Hays
October 29th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Puts everyone else to shame, my daily playlists are great and their library is infinite

Cayla Koga
October 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I can't live without Spotify. I'm not sure I even listen to regular radio anymore. For $10 a month, I have access to all the songs I can ever want to listen to, and I can download them so that I don't have to use my data plan. I can pause my subscription if I need to skip a month, but why would I do that.

Lori
October 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify so much. It’s so inexpensive and totally worth the 10$ a month. Spotify makes streaming music whenever you want very easy. And I love how independent artist can make music and put it on Spotify.

Asia Richardson
October 25th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Spotify Premium is the best investment for entertainment that I've ever made. The download feature is great for saving data, and I've never had a problem with it. It is the best music streaming service, and is much better than buying individual songs when you tend to change music taste/ songs really often.

Olivia Cheff
October 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I absolutely love spotify. I had it as a college student for cheap, and now that I am done with school I still find it worth the $10/month. The app has become very clean cut and easy to use.

Brooklyn Pruitt
October 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Do you love to have a ton of playlists but hate making them? Well, Spotify has a solution for you! Here you can enjoy your music on the go or wherever you are! It is a convenient app suitable just for you! It's easy! search the artist you want or the music you want to listen to and it will play a variety specific to that! Love it!

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I really enjoy the paid version of Spotify and how I can listen to music without an internet connection.

Isaac
October 18th, 2018 Lindon, UT

I love it, There is almost no song that they dont have.I wish I didnt have to pay for premium to skip songs.

Jason Anderson
October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Tons of artists. All my favorite artists in one place. Love being able to have all the artists albums in one place.

Cheyenne
October 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Words cannot express how much i LOVE Spotify. It's literally soo easy to use. and if you're a student (like me) they have deals which make it so affordable. 10/10 would recommend!

Bethany Simko
October 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

By far my favorite streaming service. The adds are frequently annoying but the music selection is great. best of all its free!

Zachary Clement
October 12th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Spotify works well and provides a lot of music for a fair price. My only issue is that it takes a while to load even my downloaded music sometimes when I have a really poor connection, like when I’m walking out of a building and on the edge of WiFi. I prefer it over Apple Music because I can save my playlists and they will still be there even if I cancel my subscription.

zoe smith
October 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great! I love that you can make playlists and choose what songs go on the playlist and from that they give you recommendation for that specific playlist. The only thing that makes it 4 stars not 5 stars is because you can only skip 6 or 7 songs before all of you skips are out, and sometimes you are not in the mood for that song.

Jill
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love that for 9.99 a month I can listen to and stream as much music I can handle without commercials. I can usually find anything I'm looking for including indie and local artists. I wish it were cheaper, but that's because I'm a thrifty person.

Edwin A Gonzalez
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love it. They way you can make and share your playlists is awesome. I like how when your playlist is over, recommended music keeps playing because it set up a radio station based on what you like. And i actually discovered new artists i like because of that. As in for improvements, i like it as is but would be nice to get a discount once in a while for loyal customers.

Ahmad Syahmie Sharif-fuddin Sharif-fuddin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It has been great and i hope they can simplify their UI especially for smartphone usage

Ellie Rhodes
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love having a variety of stations and playlists. It is easy to switch between free and premium depending on my listening habits.

Terri
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love Spotify. It is one of my favorite things to use. I wish it would be easier to access my account on the phone app.

R.Castillo

Great Experience and Great Features, Fair Price and Music variety

James Reynolds
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Then have always taken care of me when I had a problem.

Sara Bennett
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good, love all the mix of available music and ease. Its a pretty easy app to use and like the playlist it creates

Rodger Reed
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I enjoy Spotify. It is full of features, easy to use, customizable, and it has a free tier.

Mark Lawrence
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I've listened to the music and downloaded some music, so I found it to be very uplifting

Frank Ruffin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Large variety of songs to chose from, and large choice of styles including international music, classic etc

Crystal Sjodin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Great reception, awesome selection! Recommend for sure!

Corey

run commercials once an hour instead of every 15

Clifford Sees
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I wanted to hear a specific artist, who I know is on Spotify, but a search only revealed other people'a playlists, which did not necessarily include that artist.

Ozioma Nwokike
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I only use Spotify on my laptop because regardless of having Spotify Premium, I can play any song I want. However, it doesn't work that way on my phone because I don't have premium.

Tonishia Oliver
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I enjoy using Spotify. I get to listen to all my favorite artists and I'm introduced to new artist and find new favorites. I like that I get to download music as well. My only suggestion for improvement would be more clear directions for downloading.

Lisa
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I live that you can choose many different types of music

Avis Gregory
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Absolutely nothing, I love the way the site recommend new music

Janine Murphy
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Great options, but I wish there were more feee skips.

Scott Dexter
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Make it easier to make your own stations

orlando cedeno
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Can find most all types of music with no issues.Would.like to see clean versions of popular songs. Have a choice to here clean versions..

M Ward
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Rip off company that charges more in certain countries, it costs more to listen to in France than in the UK and is cheaper still in the USA.

Michael Steen
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Overall very good, I would like to be able to talk with a tech or a person!!

Heather
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

i like the variety, they have just about anything, old, not so old, new, every genre on the planet.

Steve E Puckett
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Love it overall, would like it to be easier in syncing my songs to personal playlist

Jonathan N Frank
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

This product sounds the best and has more music then most.....

George Paredes
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good, i like the vast library of music it has. I only wish they would have more remix of certain songs.

Gary White
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent / Add some more of the earlier music from some artists

David Young
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Like the higher bit rates but the bandwidth usage is just too tremendous for most mobil users on a budget

Stephen Crowley
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent service, love the family plan sharing with 5 family members, content is great!

Mandy
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It's essy and allows me to listen to anything I want

Shirley Moore
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

The program is easy to use. I might like it to be a bit less expensive.

S Smith
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good so far. I like the selection and interface, it's easy to use. They could do better on the radio functions and it's hard to find the non-explicit content in mobile app.

Robin Thill
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Everyday! I had to contact them only one time and my issue was handled quickly and professional

Veronica Oliver
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I like the artist offered but the same songs are constantly played

Hiba a Nakhlawi
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

They make is easy to create great playlists and connect with other like minded music lovers. I've been a fan and finally decided to pay for a membership and haven't looked back since. Not having adds and always having the right song at my fingertips has changed the game for my workouts and car rides.

Joyce
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good. They have most of the music I enjoy listening to and I can access them on my computer, cell phone, google home and alexa.