Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Brighton fenton
October 31st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I used to use Spotify, but now I use Apple Music. I liked Spotify alright when I had it, but I seem to like Apple Music slightly better. They are both good for different reason and some music you can find on one but not the other, vice versa.

Angela Nelson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My kids love Spotify and use it every day. We find it easy to use and like that there is a free version.

ally blackhurst
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I had Spotify for a long time before I switched over to Apple music, but overall I was pretty happy with Spotify. I had premium which was great, but I hated how many adds the free version had. I understand they need some adds to make money but it was just so often I felt I wasn’t even listening to music anymore, just adds.

Mafile'o Fotu
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I just don't understand how to use it and it is required for the google home. I should probably just google it, it's just not the best user friendly.

Rebecca
October 31st, 2018 Arlington, VA DETAILS

I have had student spotify for a couple years and it's great! I love that you can make playlists and share them with people on so many different platforms. I am usually able to find the artists I am looking for.

Maya Lewis
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love spotify, it was my first real music streaming app and I have loved it ever since. The ads are minimal, and even without paying for premium I feel satisfied with the music and method of their system.

Fiona Thomas
October 31st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I literally use Spotify every single day and it is amazing! Spotify Prime only costs $8 every month but it is worth every penny since you can play any song you want without any interruption of ads! It's a great way to listen to all the current music and escape from reality for a bit!

Isabelle Hong
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify has a wide variety of music of all different types. There is something for everyone on there. It's easy to make playlists and it even makes playlists for you based on your tastes.

Brandy
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have never been dissatisfied with Spotify. I love their set up and how i can listen to whatever i want and find it in seconds! The only thing i wish they had was a way to sensor some of the explicit songs. Other than that, amazing!

Nicole Coo
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

when you don’t have prime it’s hard to love it. there’s so many good songs to listen too but it’s hard to justify the price for just music. i also believe that the 30 minutes of add free music they give you isn’t always 30 minutes

Josiah Macdonald
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great but the ads really bug me and its expensive but i guess its still good cause they have a lot of deals during holidays and stuff like last new year it was 3 months for a dollar

maika
October 30th, 2018 Orem, UT

this is an incredible app that allows me to be able to listen to music with some ads. its also nice that im able to get spotify premium so that i can listen to any music for 10 $ a month.

Brinly Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I like having the choice to make my own playlist and find all the songs from my favorite artists. I only pay $5 dollars a month because I'm a college student, which is nice because I can still have the benefits of listening to music even when I'm poor. They also notify you when your payment has been overdue and they give you a few days to fix it.

Kenadee Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I love Spotify and all the music they have. It is annoying to hear ads but they don't play often. I like being able to listen to songs and being able to be on another app at the same time.

David Mallory Hays
October 29th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Puts everyone else to shame, my daily playlists are great and their library is infinite

Cayla Koga
October 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I can't live without Spotify. I'm not sure I even listen to regular radio anymore. For $10 a month, I have access to all the songs I can ever want to listen to, and I can download them so that I don't have to use my data plan. I can pause my subscription if I need to skip a month, but why would I do that.

Lori
October 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify so much. It’s so inexpensive and totally worth the 10$ a month. Spotify makes streaming music whenever you want very easy. And I love how independent artist can make music and put it on Spotify.

Asia Richardson
October 25th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Spotify Premium is the best investment for entertainment that I've ever made. The download feature is great for saving data, and I've never had a problem with it. It is the best music streaming service, and is much better than buying individual songs when you tend to change music taste/ songs really often.

Olivia Cheff
October 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I absolutely love spotify. I had it as a college student for cheap, and now that I am done with school I still find it worth the $10/month. The app has become very clean cut and easy to use.

Brooklyn Pruitt
October 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Do you love to have a ton of playlists but hate making them? Well, Spotify has a solution for you! Here you can enjoy your music on the go or wherever you are! It is a convenient app suitable just for you! It's easy! search the artist you want or the music you want to listen to and it will play a variety specific to that! Love it!

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I really enjoy the paid version of Spotify and how I can listen to music without an internet connection.

Isaac
October 18th, 2018 Lindon, UT

I love it, There is almost no song that they dont have.I wish I didnt have to pay for premium to skip songs.

Jason Anderson
October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Tons of artists. All my favorite artists in one place. Love being able to have all the artists albums in one place.

Cheyenne
October 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Words cannot express how much i LOVE Spotify. It's literally soo easy to use. and if you're a student (like me) they have deals which make it so affordable. 10/10 would recommend!

Bethany Simko
October 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

By far my favorite streaming service. The adds are frequently annoying but the music selection is great. best of all its free!

Zachary Clement
October 12th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

Spotify works well and provides a lot of music for a fair price. My only issue is that it takes a while to load even my downloaded music sometimes when I have a really poor connection, like when I’m walking out of a building and on the edge of WiFi. I prefer it over Apple Music because I can save my playlists and they will still be there even if I cancel my subscription.

zoe smith
October 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great! I love that you can make playlists and choose what songs go on the playlist and from that they give you recommendation for that specific playlist. The only thing that makes it 4 stars not 5 stars is because you can only skip 6 or 7 songs before all of you skips are out, and sometimes you are not in the mood for that song.

Jill
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love that for 9.99 a month I can listen to and stream as much music I can handle without commercials. I can usually find anything I'm looking for including indie and local artists. I wish it were cheaper, but that's because I'm a thrifty person.

Edwin A Gonzalez
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love it. They way you can make and share your playlists is awesome. I like how when your playlist is over, recommended music keeps playing because it set up a radio station based on what you like. And i actually discovered new artists i like because of that. As in for improvements, i like it as is but would be nice to get a discount once in a while for loyal customers.

Ahmad Syahmie Sharif-fuddin Sharif-fuddin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It has been great and i hope they can simplify their UI especially for smartphone usage

Ellie Rhodes
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love having a variety of stations and playlists. It is easy to switch between free and premium depending on my listening habits.

Terri
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I love Spotify. It is one of my favorite things to use. I wish it would be easier to access my account on the phone app.

R.Castillo

Great Experience and Great Features, Fair Price and Music variety

James Reynolds
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Then have always taken care of me when I had a problem.

Sara Bennett
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Good, love all the mix of available music and ease. Its a pretty easy app to use and like the playlist it creates

Rodger Reed
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I enjoy Spotify. It is full of features, easy to use, customizable, and it has a free tier.

Mark Lawrence
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I've listened to the music and downloaded some music, so I found it to be very uplifting

Frank Ruffin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Large variety of songs to chose from, and large choice of styles including international music, classic etc

Crystal Sjodin
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Great reception, awesome selection! Recommend for sure!

Corey