Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Katie Kearney
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA

I use Spotify here and there and have enjoyed it. They seem to always be the first to get music when it releases and so that is cool.

Starski Cene
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Pros: Great user interface Play podcasts through the app User-friendly interface Cons: On the apply watch, app can only play a playlist

Nathan Glade
November 28th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great when you pay for premium! Free Spotify is alright, but the ads take up a lot of listening time. But I really recommend the Premium family plan. 6 accounts for $15 a month. You can download all of your songs so you don't use data streaming. Spotify provides recommendations and tracks your listening habits so exploring new music is easy and rewarding. Great library of songs as well! Give Premium a free trial for sure!

Natalie
November 27th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Spotify is the best music streaming service you can find. They have loads of music and is super easy to navigate!

Shane
November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I would recommend Spotify over any other music app. It let's you create playlists with your own music so you know what you are getting. It is also very easy to navigate through.

Justin
November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Spotify has one of the largest libraries of music. They have organized it well so that it is easy to work with. The option of creating a playlist is also very nice.

Jeffrey Salas
November 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I have been streaming music through Spotify for years, they have most new albums released immediately, I pay the 3 bucks to receive all the music my ears could ask for.

Nathan D.
November 26th, 2018 Warrendale, PA

I have been using Spotify for about 5 years, it's a great option to listen to specific songs and artists. Unlike Pandora that makes you create a 'station' and randomly chooses songs for you. I use Spotify while working out and it's a great option as you don't have to have your phone screen open to stream.

Rachel Spielberger
November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I have never had any problems with this service. I have been able to find the music I wanted to listen to, and it is easy to use.

Grace Christensen
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have the free version of Spotify and enjoy it for the most part. I think it's fair to have to listen to an ad and get 30 minutes of free music, however I wish skips were allowed.

Sadaf Asadifar
November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I love Spotify, it has only been a few months since I got premium but I love how fast the app is and how I can listen to any song at any time.

Abbey
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Have loved Spotify!! Can listen to the music you love and make playlist you love. Fabulous that you can listen what you want to without paying money if you are fine with adds. have loved my experience!!

Brooke Jones
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Spotify is the best way to get music in my opinion. It is simple to navigate and is a great way to find new songs and bands with the recommended songs feature

Xavier Rollier
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I use Spotify to stream music while I am in the car and I love it. The 30 minute add free music is nice too because I am not driving for long periods of time.

Lindsay Fritts
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Love Spotify! I listen to SO much music on there. I barely ever listen to the radio anymore since I can listen to any song I want, commercial free, on Spotify. I wish there was an option where it would pick random songs similar to your playlist (like pandora) bc sometimes I don't want to think about what song I want to listen to.

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Oh Spotify how you make my ears twitch with joy. Spotify makes me a playlist every week of things it thinks I might like. The playlist tends to consist of about 30 song each time and I generally find at least 2 that I really really dig and add to a personal playlist. Affordable and easy to use. They got what yuh need.

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

I listen to spotify all the time. They always have great music and genres to listen to. There is always something new to listen too. I could listen all day!

Maddy Bohn
November 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Advertisements really annoying, wish there were less of them. I wish you could actually listen to a song you want to with the free version.

Tori Northrop
November 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I use Spotify everyday to stream music and so does my entire family. We love it because there is no need to pay for individual songs and the plan allows for each of us to have our own accounts with our own music.

Ali Davidson
November 14th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Spotify is my favorite way to listen to music! They have so many songs to choose from and even make playlists for me based on what I listen to frequently

Mackenzie
November 14th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Love, love, love it!!! I can get all my music for a cheap price per month. I use it at work all the time as a playlist and can create my own mixtapes!

Sierra Dixon
November 14th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I LOVE SPOTIFY!!!! It is amazing; it lets me listen to the music I like and has any song you could think of. You can make your own playlists and listen to whatever you want. Tons of choices and it’s easy to use. PLUS ITS FREE!

Garn L. Arnold
November 12th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I like Spotify better than Pandora because I like the songs better. It will play just the songs of one particular band.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I really like the service that they offer, and their music selection is one of the best that I have ever seen!

Mitch Krull
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Been using them since the start. Never going back. Great selection and a good app.

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

I like to use Spotify when I am in the car and at work. The pricing is great, especially if you are a student. They have almost all the music that I search for.

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

By far my favorite for streaming music and finding music. I had tried others before and I was hesitant to try Spotify, but now I wouldn’t use much else.

Angela Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Greatest step forward in streaming music! Its like the original iTunes without having to pay for every song. I love how I can create playlists, have my own library, and there are lots of pre-made lists too.

Emma Webster
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Spotify offers a large variety of music and podcasts that contain many different genres. Often, I use Spotify's created playlists because they are easy to access and contain great music! The Premium plan is cheap and perfect for my listening needs.

Cassidy Larsen
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is a really good music streaming app, and it almost never glitches. However buying premium does not seem worth the cost, but enables many more aspects of the app that are extremely helpful that most everyone would enjoy.

Isabella
November 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

These ads sometimes play too much even after watching an ad to reduce it but besides that it keeps updated with music and keeps me updated telling me when my artists are coming to tour

Rachael Kerr
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I LOVE Spotify. I've experienced both Apple Music and Spotify, and between the two, Spotify is definitely my favorite. It's very easy to customize playlists and there's a huge selection of music. I also get really good song recommendations from Spotify.

Courtney Walker
November 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I don’t even have permium and I love Spotify. They have so many songs and when I did have premium, the streaming was always so fast and quality sound.

Cassie Freedman
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Love Spotify! I’m currently premium member and having so much music at your fingertips is a really cool experience. I use it daily and it’s a good time!

Sarah
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Always has good music and personalizes playlists to my liking so I never run out of good music!

Randal hyde
November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

Streaming music is really easy with Spotify. You can listen offline, without commercials. Customer service is slow to respond, but billing occurs automatically at the same time each month and you can cancel whenever you want.

Gavin Schmalz
October 31st, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Spotify is my most used app on my phone. I love that you can download songs onto your phone and play them when you don't have service. I also love how it will tell you when artist are coming to venues near you.

Sidney Field
October 31st, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

I am constantly using Spotify, definitely my preferred music choice. Easy to find new music, go back and listen to old music, easy to make playlists and access to songs I want.

denver robinson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

it is the best of the best. it has almost every song available and i can make playlists according to my taste and it’s awesome!

Stefani Smith
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is the best! I love that I can search for any artist or song with ease. I enjoy that I can make my own playlists. Also with premium that there are no commercials.