Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Sadie Salisbury
January 17th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Spotify is by far the best music app! They have all the music I like and the best quality of songs. The playlists they offer are always updating and showing new music. Spotify over Apple Music for sure!

Shaylee
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

LOVE spotify. I am a premium member with the student discount and it is SO NICE. It is a reasonable price for students and the quality is great. A very wide variety of music and it is easy to navigate the app. You can save songs so that you can listen to them when you don't have wifi which is very nice.

Mags
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I am a die hard fan of spotify. It sounds so cheesy but I love how they always make special playlists for you every single day, and every end of the year. They make me feel special!

Kymberlee Yack
January 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

i LOVE spotify. i can have any song i want, they have pre-made playlists, and they give me suggested playlists compared to the type of music i listen to. plus they have a student spotify if you're in college and it's so cheap!

Shayla Hankins
January 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Spotify music is my one and only music streaming service. Their prices are low and their collection is infinite. They have all the music I need and more, with little to no cost. It is easy to save songs and make playlists.

Sarah
January 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

My entire family uses Spotify! We all love it as it is extremely easy to use and it has endless music! I listen to music every single day and by using Spotify I never get bored with my music as there are multiple playlists of new music for me!

Madalyn Johnson
January 8th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is my favorite place to stream music! From creating my own playlists to using my friends or Spotify recommended i always know i will have good music to listen to.

Hailey Nilson
January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Spotify is the absolute best, I use it everyday. I love how I can customize my library and create my own playlists, while still finding new music.

Annie Orr
December 21st, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify! It has every song I search and I am constantly listening to music.

Braden Johnson
December 21st, 2018 Eagle, ID DETAILS

Endless number of songs and tunes all at your fingertips. Membership is definitely worth it and adds many functions that are worth it.

Magaly De Avila
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Everyone argues about spotify vs apple music but I definitely believe spotify is better! They make you daily playlists depending on the music you listen to and at the end of the year they make a ton of playlists depending on the music you listen to. They care a lot about their customers and I love that.

Katie Marz
December 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have used lots of different music providers but I keep coming back to Spotify because of all the different things they provide. I love the playlists they make and I love that you can choose song choices and make your own albums.

Brinley Knowles
December 19th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

I love spotify, especially because I can download whatever song I need and it to any of my playlists. I also love the discount they give to students.

MaKayla Christiansen
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is an amazing tool for me since I am a dance teacher. So many great playlists are on there to find awesome music and new music to use for dances/ just to listen to. Spotify is a great music streaming app. You get every song right when it comes out and don’t have to wait a few days for new music.

Dasha Directo
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is by far the best music streaming service. As a student, I get Hulu and Showtime with Spotify premium. It's awesome. I also love how Spotify creates playlists tailored to what you listen to each week.

Autumn Kallunki
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great and I’ve used it for 5 years. I love the layout and it’s easy to use. I enjoy their updates and never have a hard time navigating it. They have a student discount which I always appreciate

Alora
December 12th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is great for people who know what they like and like to organize it how they choose. The ability to create personal playlists is great and song suggestions are normally very accurate to taste. The ads are sometimes annoying, but it's free.

Mildred Carter
December 10th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Spotify is one of the consistent things in my life. I'm surrounded by it. The fact you're able to listen in a variety of ways - through the app, desktop player and the website, is amazing. It all syncs up, as well. If I start listening to a podcast on the app I can pick up where I left off on my desktop. The choices of music has only GROWN, and the amount of podcasts on here? 100% pure ear candy.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 10th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

Switched from Apple music to Spotify for the better interface and browsing options. Have since fell in love with the various currated playlists. Have discovered so much more music that I love using Spotify!

Alyssa Scott
December 10th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Spotify is great for streaming music. It is cheap to be able to search any song and be able to listen to it whenever you want to.

Darius Williams
December 10th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

i like spotify when i want to discover some new music. Easy to find great new playlist

Wendy Glade
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

My kids love spotify. I have the free version so I listen to it sometimes. I don't like the shuffle play feature, as I like to hear albums straight through with the songs in order. But Spotify has a great selection of songs and artists.

Shauna Craig
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My grandson helped me set up Spotify and I absolutely love it. I have several playlists that I love. New songs are suggested for me and are usually songs that I really enjoy. The product is very user friendly.

Sav
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Spotify is a great way to find playlists with the music you love. It is an awesome app to listen to playlists and find new music. Sometimes is is very slow though.

Samuel
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Spotify is great I always have it on my phone and I use it all the time. It has all of the best songs and artists. But if you don't have premium you will only be able to skip a certain amount of adds in a row, before you have to wait a while for some more.

Lauren
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

only great if you have spotify premium, but a great was to find new music and playlists

Kenadee Barker
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I really like Spotify you can lesson to music all the time! But it kind of sucks if you don’t have premium!:(

Julia Halliday
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Spotify is such a fun app to use because it allows you to create your own playlists! It asks what music you like so it can create playlists for you. I have enjoyed just about every song I've listened to on Spotify!

Jane
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I’m a music buff. I listen to everything, and Spotify is my best friend. I don’t have premium because I have no money, but, although the adds are annoying, they’re bearable, and the music selection is great. Get premium if you can. It’s life changing. And listen to some Barry Manilow while you’re at it. He’s so underrated, honestly guys. Get your life together and get the feeling again.

Hermionet
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I love Spotify! It is so easy to find all the music you want! I only wish there weren't so many ads...but hey! Spotify premium fixed that!

Hadley
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I really like Spotify. It is super easy to use. I get to listen to just about any song I want, and make all sorts of different playlists.

Grace Durrant
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is one of the best music providers I've ever used. Just for ten dollars a month you get unlimited, free choice music. Absolutely amazing.

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

spotify is so nice, the app works very well with any phone and it has the most music and is very reliable, love spotify

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Easy to use and such a large variety of music. Worth the money I spend each month.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC

Spotify has a great app for the computer and phone. I like that i can skip around with ease and it integrates my existing music on my phone and my computer. There are some ads, but the service is free; the ads arent too aggressive.

Tiffany Barton
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I love Spotify i like that they offer unlimited music for a low price and you can even download songs so if you dont have service you can still listen.

Nishita
December 5th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

Spotify is what gets me through the day! I have it loaded on my phone, my computer, and my iPad. Easy access to the best music!

Catherine
December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA

There is too much going on in the app so it's not easy to navigate when you're looking to change stations quickly. I think it would be much better if the layout was more simple.

Kaitlyn George
December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Love this streaming service. My only complaint is that you can't see a full list of the artists songs available on the service.

edward reese
December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

spotify really revolutionized the game for music streaming services and still has one the best experiences across all platforms.

Linda Quach
December 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Love love love this company great prices and i always get what i need asap. i would recommend place to anyone- great support and help

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The thing I like about Spotify is how specific you can be in your music choices. I wish they had a good free streaming service. The paid service is not bad.

Mary
December 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Spotify is arguably the best app that has been created in the last 5 years! I use Spotify every day! It has all the music you could ever want. Also, it has a bunch of incredible podcasts. I love that it will create playlists of music they think I will like! They also support local artists which is way cool. Spotify is my favorite!

Jaime
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Our family loves Spotify! We subscribe to the multi-user plan, and I love that we can each create our own accounts so we can have our own personal music preferences to listen to. I love that we can create our own personal playlists... the modern-day version of good old "mix tapes".

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It works fine. You can find most everything. I don't think it's worth the subscription and the free side isn't as good as Pandora.

Melissa Carreno
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

love love love spotify, so simple and easy to maneuver. Has everything I need, creates my daily mixes, wish there was a method to look up like lyrics to a song and have the song pop up.

Jami Schmieding
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I use spotify, it is expensive but worth it to not have commercials and be able to download songs so when you dont have service you can still listen to your favorite songs.

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Love Spotify. I used to buy music on ITunes to download to my ipod. I spent thousands of dollars on music!!! Now I only spend $10 per month and I have all my music at my fingertips......as much as I want. That's the best deal ever! Thank you Spotify!

Sam Ekberg
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is a great way to listen to music. Its a free app that allows you to select an already made playlist and start listening! I've used spotify a ton and it never disappoints!

kiley
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is such an amazing app because you can listen to so many songs with all different genres and artists.