Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Michael
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Spotify does a great job at continually improving its product and service. I appreciate the updates and developments to the app and streaming possibilities.

Madeline
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have enjoyed using Spotify. I like how I can make my playlists, as well as share them with other people

Katie
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Buy Spotify now! It is my most used app and I love it. Every time I have a song pop into my head, I know Spotify will have the song I'm thinking of so that I can play and listen to it. I love music so this app has been a wonderful tool for me to discover new music as well as listen to my old favorite songs.

Katelyn Connell
April 15th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

My husband and I would not be able to live without Spotify. We both have different tastes in music which would make buying what each of us likes expensive. Spotify allows us to have many different kinds of playlists that fit both of our tastes. The only thing I would change is allowing more than one person to listen at a time.

Jed Orlob
April 15th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify and don’t mind spending money for premium at all. It really does make the service 10x better!

Dominic Cervantez
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

They have a lot of variety of music, and even have unknown artists that I really enjoy and couldn't find other places. Definitely worth it.

Ashley
April 1st, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Spotify is my all time favorite app I have on my phone. The streaming is always clear and it has a variety of music choices.

Eliza Anne Jones
April 1st, 2019 Provo, UT

Spotify is my favorite music streaming app. It allows you to share collaborative playlists with friends as well as add other's playlists to your own library.

Allison Driggs
March 27th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love the convienence of Spotify! I have 5 children and we all have a family account. We listen to any song we ever think of at anytime we choose and it’s great!

Abby Driggs
March 26th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I am a student so I really appreciate that they have a student discount for $5/month. Worth it to pay for premium so you don't have to hear adds. Kind of annoying that if you don't have service/wifi... your music won't play unless it is downloaded beforehand. Overall- pretty happy with it.

Nicole Garrett
February 15th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I've liked Spotify but don't use it as much as I thought I would. I do like the ability to choose my songs. I have never purchased the service, I've only tried the free app.

Kilee De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Absolutely love Spotify! They have every song and podcast imagineable on here .

Brian Scott
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is the best music streaming company! I really like being able to customize my playlist.

Abigail De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I like spotify for the amount of music they have. I like how I can make my own play lists. And it is easy to use.

Sarah Wright
February 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I have had a family plan for about 6 months now. This service is awesome. We have been able to find almost any music we want on it. I love the queue options and being able to save phones offline when data coverage is not available.

Ponch Thompson
February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

By far, this is the service we use the most! We have the family plan and each of the 5 accounts is used heavily. Creating playlists is great!

P Crawley
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have a family subcription to Spotify and use it all the time. I was always confused about how to get music before but now it's easy and I have all the songs I want right on my phone.

Myah Smith
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I LOVE SPOTIFY. It has been my absolute favorite music app to listen to. I listen to my music on it everyday. It is easy to find my songs and to find new music.

Jordan
February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT

I like that Spotify allows me to find the exact song or album I want to listen to and that I can choose it.

Kristiane R Durfey
February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My favorite all time music steaming service. I love that I can pick all my favorite music from every different genre. I wish it would give me more skips though. Sometimes I just am not feeling a song at the moment so I have to use my skips wisely.

Tracey Hazel
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT

The thing I love about Spotify is that you can pick and choose songs to create your own playlist/station

Sophie
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Spotify is a really great to stream music and to find playlists others have made and to find new music.

Shannon
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I use spotify because I can pick whatever music I want. There's a great selection of music and its free.

Mandi Smith
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Spotify always gives me the experience I am looking for. They have such a good selection of songs.

Krysten
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Great app, loved playlists and recommended songs. Love that I can listen to while exercising.

Charlene Mackay
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify because I can quickly and easily find playlists that I’m looking for. I love it when my trainer creates a new play list and shares it with me. Customized, tailored music to my taste!

Camber
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Amazing selection of music--the best in my opinion. However, this company doesn't allow for family sharing plans and strictly enforces this. So we went back to Google play.

Emily
February 7th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. I have so many choices of music, pre-made playlists, suggested songs that I might like, I can save and download my playlists, etc. Definitely worth the money. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

Sunny Perry
February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Spotify is a great music app because you can listen to music on the go. I often play spotify on my way to school in the morning and going to and from volleyball practice.

Laurie Willis
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Love that I can play Spotify over my google home. It makes it so easy, less ads than some other music apps.

Lauren Jorgensen
February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Spotify Is the only way to go. I think its 10.00 a month for unlimited uninterrupted music. The best part is they make playlists for you based on the music you listen to the most.

kelsey
February 5th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

Spotify is so amazing,I defiantly like it more than Pandora-other than more ads about how you should buy premium. It has more song choices and better sound quality. i always have Spotify on hand and i use it everyday.

janalee sanders
February 5th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

We have the family plan which seems to work out well and my kids love it. when I have researched it it seemed like it would be a nice service to have, so ultimately we are giving it a shot. from what the kids say they can virtually listen to whatever music they want plus Spotify offers a student discount. I use it often but they use it way more!

Evelyn Chidester
February 5th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

I use spotify frequently . It has a large selection of music to choose from. I upgraded once but when I went to cancel that was really difficult. If you dont mind commercials I would reccomend Spotify.

Cici Paskett
February 5th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. I currently use the student premium subscription and it’s worth the money! It’s also easy to use and I have yet to search for a song that they don’t have.

August Moulton
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I was recently introduced to Spotify and it is my new favorite music streaming app! It’s so simple to use and I can’t wait to upgrade to the commercial free version.

Hadley heaps
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I have Spotify on my phone and I really like it. I am giving it a four because some of the buttons are confusing on it. I accidentally pressed a button on one of my favorite songs and it deleted it from my playlist. and it took me a really long time to figure out how to get it back. but other than that, I love how you can find any song that you like on it and make your own playlists.

faith
February 4th, 2019 Camano, WA

I use Spotify on the daily! It is so good and you can hear any song you want. They have almost any artist and their songs! Just add it to your playlist, hit play, and go about your day!!

Bekah
February 4th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT

I love spotify a lot. I really like listening to music, and they have all the music I ever want to listen to.

Madelyn Parker
February 1st, 2019 South Jordan, UT

LOVE SPOTIFY. I only wish that they had more clean options for music because a lot of the time I don’t want to listen to the explicit versions of songs but also don’t want to have to go to YouTube to find the clean version.

Lindsey A Brown
February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love being able to stream music with Spotify. I love the option to make playlists. Lots of available tracks and artists to listen to.

Kaia Fakatoumafi
February 1st, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I have Spotify Premium, and the amount of songs they have is incredible. I love my downloaded music, and the ease of it all. I love how they create things so personally for me, and there’s so many genres and moods!!! By far my favorite music app, hands down.

Hannah Thompson
February 1st, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

This is my top music platform. It has great playlists to look up if you don’t like making your own playlists, but if you do like making your own playlists than it is the best option for you. I have spotify premium and I would say it is worth your money because of the download feature and all the songs you have access too! Love love love spotify!! & it is where artists can upload their songs to get publicity so it’s great to find new fresh music.

Whitney Powell
January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT

I will never make the switch to apple music like my family wants me to because i simply love the way spotify is set up and how to use it is so simple.

Keilah Phillips
January 31st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I recently switched from Apple music to Spotify...and let me tell you, it is super worth it! It has endless songs, and it's also cool how it can link up to Google home . I highly recommend Spotify. Also, the logo is cool.✌🏻

JARED J BUCKLEY
January 31st, 2019 Fort Bridger, WY DETAILS

Nice change up when I'm really in the mood for some great playlists to work out to.

Shinobu Tanaka
January 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We've enjoyed Spotify premium for not having advertisements between songs and providing a variety of songs.

Quinn Johnson
January 30th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

By far the best music streaming platform. I love the recommendations, the selections, the Spotify originals, and the user design.

Kaiya ward
January 30th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Spotify is by far better than apple music in my opinion. It is soo much easier to find new music share playlists and finding friends as well. Super affordable!! especially with the student discounts. I 100% recommend over any other music apps.

McKenzie Christiansen
January 17th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is great, and super affordable. And way worth the price. Any song you could ever want is on there. And you can listen without service if you download the songs. Has visuals for some of the songs too which are really cool. Would reccomend to anyone.