Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Spotify

Spotify Logo

Spotify

$9.99 Monthly Fees

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Alora
December 12th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is great for people who know what they like and like to organize it how they choose. The ability to create personal playlists is great and song suggestions are normally very accurate to taste. The ads are sometimes annoying, but it's free.

Darius Williams
December 10th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

i like spotify when i want to discover some new music. Easy to find great new playlist

Alyssa Scott
December 10th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Spotify is great for streaming music. It is cheap to be able to search any song and be able to listen to it whenever you want to.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 10th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

Switched from Apple music to Spotify for the better interface and browsing options. Have since fell in love with the various currated playlists. Have discovered so much more music that I love using Spotify!

Mildred Carter
December 10th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Spotify is one of the consistent things in my life. I'm surrounded by it. The fact you're able to listen in a variety of ways - through the app, desktop player and the website, is amazing. It all syncs up, as well. If I start listening to a podcast on the app I can pick up where I left off on my desktop. The choices of music has only GROWN, and the amount of podcasts on here? 100% pure ear candy.

Wendy Glade
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

My kids love spotify. I have the free version so I listen to it sometimes. I don't like the shuffle play feature, as I like to hear albums straight through with the songs in order. But Spotify has a great selection of songs and artists.

Julia Halliday
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Spotify is such a fun app to use because it allows you to create your own playlists! It asks what music you like so it can create playlists for you. I have enjoyed just about every song I've listened to on Spotify!

Sav
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Spotify is a great way to find playlists with the music you love. It is an awesome app to listen to playlists and find new music. Sometimes is is very slow though.

Hermionet
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I love Spotify! It is so easy to find all the music you want! I only wish there weren't so many ads...but hey! Spotify premium fixed that!

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Easy to use and such a large variety of music. Worth the money I spend each month.

Grace Durrant
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Spotify is one of the best music providers I've ever used. Just for ten dollars a month you get unlimited, free choice music. Absolutely amazing.

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

spotify is so nice, the app works very well with any phone and it has the most music and is very reliable, love spotify

Jane
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I’m a music buff. I listen to everything, and Spotify is my best friend. I don’t have premium because I have no money, but, although the adds are annoying, they’re bearable, and the music selection is great. Get premium if you can. It’s life changing. And listen to some Barry Manilow while you’re at it. He’s so underrated, honestly guys. Get your life together and get the feeling again.

Kenadee Barker
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I really like Spotify you can lesson to music all the time! But it kind of sucks if you don’t have premium!:(

Hadley
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I really like Spotify. It is super easy to use. I get to listen to just about any song I want, and make all sorts of different playlists.

Lauren
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

only great if you have spotify premium, but a great was to find new music and playlists

Shauna Craig
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My grandson helped me set up Spotify and I absolutely love it. I have several playlists that I love. New songs are suggested for me and are usually songs that I really enjoy. The product is very user friendly.

Samuel
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Spotify is great I always have it on my phone and I use it all the time. It has all of the best songs and artists. But if you don't have premium you will only be able to skip a certain amount of adds in a row, before you have to wait a while for some more.

Tiffany Barton
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I love Spotify i like that they offer unlimited music for a low price and you can even download songs so if you dont have service you can still listen.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC

Spotify has a great app for the computer and phone. I like that i can skip around with ease and it integrates my existing music on my phone and my computer. There are some ads, but the service is free; the ads arent too aggressive.

Linda Quach
December 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Love love love this company great prices and i always get what i need asap. i would recommend place to anyone- great support and help

edward reese
December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

spotify really revolutionized the game for music streaming services and still has one the best experiences across all platforms.

Kaitlyn George
December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Love this streaming service. My only complaint is that you can't see a full list of the artists songs available on the service.

Catherine
December 5th, 2018 Vienna, VA

There is too much going on in the app so it's not easy to navigate when you're looking to change stations quickly. I think it would be much better if the layout was more simple.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The thing I like about Spotify is how specific you can be in your music choices. I wish they had a good free streaming service. The paid service is not bad.

Jaime
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Our family loves Spotify! We subscribe to the multi-user plan, and I love that we can each create our own accounts so we can have our own personal music preferences to listen to. I love that we can create our own personal playlists... the modern-day version of good old "mix tapes".

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It works fine. You can find most everything. I don't think it's worth the subscription and the free side isn't as good as Pandora.

Mary
December 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Spotify is arguably the best app that has been created in the last 5 years! I use Spotify every day! It has all the music you could ever want. Also, it has a bunch of incredible podcasts. I love that it will create playlists of music they think I will like! They also support local artists which is way cool. Spotify is my favorite!

Nishita
December 5th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

Spotify is what gets me through the day! I have it loaded on my phone, my computer, and my iPad. Easy access to the best music!

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Love Spotify. I used to buy music on ITunes to download to my ipod. I spent thousands of dollars on music!!! Now I only spend $10 per month and I have all my music at my fingertips......as much as I want. That's the best deal ever! Thank you Spotify!

Melissa Carreno
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

love love love spotify, so simple and easy to maneuver. Has everything I need, creates my daily mixes, wish there was a method to look up like lyrics to a song and have the song pop up.

Jami Schmieding
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I use spotify, it is expensive but worth it to not have commercials and be able to download songs so when you dont have service you can still listen to your favorite songs.

Alyssa Lopez
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I enjoy Spotify premium and the ability to download songs to listen to offline, as well as the easy navigation. Their deal for students with a Hulu bundle is a great money-saver and incentive. I enjoy having access to both services to stream on-demand.

Sam Ekberg
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is a great way to listen to music. Its a free app that allows you to select an already made playlist and start listening! I've used spotify a ton and it never disappoints!

Isaac
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The experience of this product depends on whether you subscribe or use the free version. I have used both, and without subscribing, it is difficult to use and annoying how you cannot listen to separate songs. The service is amazing with a subscription. It is easy to navigate and you can listen to anything anyime.

kiley
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Spotify is such an amazing app because you can listen to so many songs with all different genres and artists.

Kate Gregson
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Spotify so much and would recommend it to any music lover. I have created so many playlists on this app. It is easy to use, and offers a wide array of music and podcasts.

Cruise Myers
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I enjoy the app while gaming, being able to choose a playlists for the perfect occasion. Although, I use another app on most occasions so I find the ads annoying but understandably necessary.

Jobie Goodro
November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Love Spotify. I use it everyday. I love the family pay plan. Makes it so worth it. Just wish I could find and follow people easier.

Ella
November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

This is a great app. Basically you have access to every song ever. And spotify premium is so cheap, they know their target audience, and it is definitely worth it