Spotify Logo

8.9

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021
One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB. While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users. Talk about rapid growth! When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming. What makes Spotify unique? Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows. Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options. Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

Pandora Logo
#2 Pandora chevron_right
4.1
Amazon Music Logo
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists. Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand. As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month. Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads. Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee. What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part. In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them. Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need. All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is possibly the best music streaming app I’ve ever used. I really enjoy all of the features that Spotify premium offers. I use Spotify premium on a day to day basis. I currently pay for the student Spotify premium package with Hulu and it really increases my quality of life. I find that it is easy to search and find music on the app. I often use the web browser as well when listening off of my computer. My favorite part of the app is it’s “new radio” section where you can find a whole radio station of similar songs to the song you’re currently listening to. I can’t say enough good things about Spotify premium.

Taylor Johnston

Spotify's Radio tab is a great, if less unique, option for music discovery. The Radio section works much like other music streaming radio functions, and it can be just as useful as the Discover page for finding new music. The page displays playlists of music similar to the songs and artists you've recently listened to

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is my number one music-listening app. I love the software in place and don't have too much trouble with music shuffling. I wish they could make taking songs off of queue I literally had to google how-to songs I accidentally added off. But the app all in all is amazing and I love how they've been making it a bit more personal for listeners.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

My experience with spotify was shady at best. I wanted to try them out and paid for a month, but decided I didn't care for the service and canceled. They charged me for the entire month but canceled my service instantly, even though I had only used the service for one day. They didn't offer a refund or prorate the day I used, they just charged me the entire month and only gave me a day worth of service. I tried to get a refund however there was no way to call them via phone, so I had to send an email, which only ever received automated responses telling me they "cared" about me and someone would be getting back to me soon. What a joke. I actually get better service at a cheaper rate from a competing company, who I can actually call if I have an issue or complaint.

John Anthony Delgado The Bronx, NY

I've been using spotify for over a decade and i am a big fan! I appreciate all of the features and algorythtems it generates for my music tastes. The paid premium version is def worth it!

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Spotify is a Great service, I've been a premium user for many years and plan to continue for many more. They offer millions of songs for a correct price with the possibility to play music on a wide variety of devices and platform.

r vido Orem, UT

I've been paying for two Spotify accounts and only using 1. Spotify customer service refuses to help. This happened due to a mistake on my email I made when upgrading the account. After finding this mistake and trying to fix it with 10 different customer support agents, they told me I could not get a refund. Result I paid for a premium account 6months x 9,99€ and 12,99 x 6months/2people, spotify refused to give me back to 60€ of surplus payments. I thought Spotify was a great service. I've used it for years, and thought it was user friendly, tailored and just affordable - for the price of 1cd a month you have access to all the music you could want. But now I just feel robbed.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is where it's at! At first I was solely team Apple Music, but now I'm finding that Spotify has a lot to offer. I get music, podcasts, new, AND a discount on a Hulu subscription. My favorite feature is the "My Friends" tab, which shows me what all of my friends/followers are listening to in that moment and allows me to see whatever playlist or album the music is coming from. Spotify is so interactive, I love it!

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Amazing selection of songs and overall it's pretty easy to use when you know where your playlists are. I wish the design, navigation, and organization of the app wasn't so complicated. It's gotten slightly better over the years, but some parts of the home page and other pages just don't really make sense and are unnecessary

Kelsey Hudson Salt Lake City, UT

I love Spotify. The family plan makes it easy for everyone in our house to listen on their own account and I love the feature where you can block explicit content. Have used Spotify for years and will continue to do so!

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

My experience with Spotify is going great! With Spotify they create multiple daily mixes with songs you listen to on a daily or new songs they think you’ll like based on the songs you usually listen to.

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

I love Spotify. They always have the latest drops that Apple Music doesn't. We are on family plan and have no problem listening on multiple devices, sharing music, and the app is very user friendly.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

This music platform provides a great variety of music and key features to organize songs. The selection of music is comprehensive and even includes smaller artists while maintaining a polished platform.

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

Spotify has changed my life. I love music and being able to download playlists on the go and also not having to shave the ads. I pay for the subscription and feel it is totally worth it. I was bummed when I graduated college and lost the bundle with Hulu.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I LOVE Spotify so much. You are able to find new music, listen to all your playlists, find new playlists and so much. I think it is so worth it to get premium. You can download your music for the times you don't have wifi/data and there are no ads!

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Love Spotify! I think the family plan is a great value, and I love how I'm able to search for music easily and customize playlists.

Paige C Riverton, UT

I love using Spotify for the selection of music and how easy it is to make playlists and share with friends, its also amazing to have podcasts like the Magnus Archives!

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I pay for premium, which I think is priced fairly. I like that it has a lot of songs and it creates personalized playlists for you or for a couple! I don't like that Garth Brooks and other artists aren't on there.

Kelly Stanley Orem, UT

It’s great. Has all the music I want to listen to. Love that I can make playlists myself, but also other people have made playlists that I can listen to

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Spotify. It’s easy to operate and they have a lot of songs that I absolutely love. I have had it for about two years and have had no complaints within that time. Making playlists is easy and the app itself is very affordable.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love hitting the gym but having a good playlist is absolutely essential. Spotify has all the songs I search for and makes it possible for me to create a playlist for every occasion. For me that includes good music to get me hyped for a good workout.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I think the algorithm is spot on to detect what type of music I like. The end of year summaries for users is fantastic.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Very easy to use interface and great selection of music and podcasts. Free and pay options both seem worthwhile.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

Have been using Spotify since 2015 and won’t use any other music service. Love their layout and everything they offer.

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

I love Spotify, except that you can't have student Spotify for more than 4 years. I wish I could have it until I finish my master's degree. I miss the perk of the Showtime add-on.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

For me Spotify was super easy to use and find any type of music that you were looking for. There is a genre for anyone with an endless selection for everyone. They have a pay selection that gets you out of the ads and such that is pretty reasonable if that is important to you. I am definitely a Spotify fan.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have been using Spotify for a few years now and I still love it. I'm always looking for new songs to listen to, and they offer a lot of different ways to find some. Whether it's the same kinds of songs you've been listening to, or songs from other genres, there's always something new to listen to

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I love Spotify! They recommend songs based on the songs you have in each playlist it's amazing! I have yet to look up a song and have it not be available on their app. Downloading songs is easy which has been very helpful for when I want songs to listen to on long road trips (which I do a lot).

CJ Milke Olney, MD

Spotify is absolutely one of the best music streaming services I have ever used. Although they do have a premium service, I have never used it as the free version is in my opinion not much different than the paid version. Great service!

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Spotify helps me stream my favorite music/artists. Not only does it help me stream them it helps me support their music and work of my favorite artists which I love. I hope everyone can use spotify to stream and support their favorite artists.

D Rockville, MD

I like Spotify because it has so many different music options and artists. Also, I love how the app works and I use it all the time to listen to music. I really appreciate how they suggest artists and how they give you a Spotify Wrapped as well.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I used to just use the few thousands of songs I had on itunes, but now I just use spotify premium. The constant ads were so annoying and I couldn't play whatever songs I wanted, but I got offered 6 months free of premium. I love being able to download and play any song I want without service or wifi. My spotify does occasionally randomly cut out in the car, but it could just be my phone or car. It is very easy to use and manage. I also love the queue and sleep timer so music will stop after a certain amount of time. I also love the algorithm for finding new music with the discover weekly playlists. Sharing playlists and following friends on spotify is also really nice.

Kent Fuge Phoenix, AZ

I love spotify as a service when I am paying for it. They are priced fairly but if you are planning on using them to listen to music without paying their monthly fee, just don't bother. They have made the free version of their service so annoying that if I am not subscribed (like currently because I am trying to keep my costs down) I don't both trying to use the service. It's not the commercials, It's all about how they screw with the playlists. I would be happy to put up with the commercials if I was paying the monthly service fee, but they will let you listen to like one or two songs from your playlist and then just random start making up their own playlist. It is so bad that I won't use them if I am not paying for the service.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify has me as a customer for life. There are many great things about Spotify, one of which is their playlists. There are so many playlists for so many moods/activities. It is also very straight forward and very user friendly. It is more expensive than other streaming services, but I you get what you pay for, for the most part. It would be nice if it were a little cheaper.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I love Spotify! Their music selection is vast with great recommendations and playlists. There are so many users on Spotify that create public playlists that you can always find new music or a great playlist if you're in too much of a hurry to create your own. They also do Spotify Sessions where artists will work with them to do a few different versions of their songs - mini private concerts like. Spotify also has language courses and audible books so your monthly fee gets you much more than music. Great user interface on their site, computer app and mobile app - easy to navigate with good and relative recommendations. Service is easy to cancel as it's only month to month.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Love this app. it has all the songs and artists that I listen to and they keep my up to date on new music

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

What I like best about this company is how many song options they have. One thing I don’t like is how many ads they have if you don’t have premium. But overall it’s a great streaming app.

kaylie mahar Springdale, AR

I have only had good experiences with Spotify because I always seem to find the music I am looking for. I also enjoy the recommended songs that are always below my particular playlists because they are similar to the songs I saved.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

I use a bit of apps for music and Spotify is one of them. One thing I love about Spotify is that you could view other people's playlist which helps when you're looking for new music. I also love Spotify's easy accessibility and the affordability of it. 10/10 would recommend

Ysabel Moody San Antonio, TX

Spotify has awesome playlists and really good podcast selections

Amy Gardiner Clarksburg, MD

My duaghter introduced me to Spotify and I was hesitant at first. NOw, as a music therapist, I can't imagine NOT using it. It is so easy to put together playlists for therapy sessions, look up favorite songs, or just use the suggested playlists for a run!!

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I like spotify because it allows users to choose whatever song they would like and create playlists with all your favorite songs. I have Spotify premium and I love how there's no ads and Spotify is easy and simple to use. Spotify is also great as users can choose songs to play next and add to their queue.

Chase Hardy Olney, MD

Spotify is a great music app, with great songs, and easy to use. The only thing i do not like is the adds. There is a premium which when you don’t have, you have adds, and you cannot shuffle playlist. However, you can make personalized playlist for yourself, those can go on shuffle, but the ones they made, can notOverall, I love Spotify, it’s just the premium that bothers me.

Saskia Mayette Tallahassee, FL

I love Spotify! I have the $5 membership which includes Hulu and Showtime! I love how they curate playlists based of what you currently listen to! I have been exposed to so many songs and artists that I didn’t know of through that feature.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I love Spotify's UI. It's intuitive and easy to navigate. It's personalized. They are always on point for the new song suggestions they provide. I started with the student deal they had that came with Hulu and I've stayed as a user ever since.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love Spotify. It is a music platform that offers a free and premium side. The premium platform offers several discounts for different groups; for example there is a discount for college students and a discount for veterans as well. I find new music, podcasts and playlists on Spotify. All of your needs are found and answered on here.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

Super easy to use, as well as to find new music. Only music app I use, love it! The only thing I have an issue with is without paying fkr it you listen to a commercials every so often which is fine, but when spotify tells you you will have 30 min of uninterrupted listening but doesnt actually follow that guide line I get frustrated. So I would suggest paying the small fee for it.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Spotify is the best music streaming service! Hands-down! Best subscription I pay per month. It is so easy to use and always works exactly how I want. I have no need to buy music anymore. I don’t think I will never not have Spotify! They are always making updates and improvements and looking for ways to make the app easier for its users.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is the best and only music app I use to listen to my favorite songs. I have been able to discover new music and create my own playlists. The only thing I hate about Spotify is the ads because I don't pay but it's worth the wait.

Sicely Lyn Russell Chandler, AZ

I have never personally had a Spotify account but my friends have so I've used theirs before and its pretty cool. I wish way more clean versions were on there though. That would be my only complaint. You can find the coolest remixes on Spotify though so that's amazing!