Spotify Logo

8.3

LAST UPDATED: August 2nd, 2022
One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB. While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users. Talk about rapid growth! When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming. What makes Spotify unique? Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows. Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options. Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

Pandora Logo
#3 Pandora chevron_right
SoundCloud Logo
#4 SoundCloud chevron_right

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists. Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand. As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month. Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads. Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee. What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part. In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them. Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need. All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

AngeliaHuffman Flora, IN

If I had to pick one specific platform for music.. Spotify would be it. I love that it gives me recommendations to other music based off what's on my playlists. It's amazing!

Francisco Silva Chicago, IL

Incredible, good value for money. The app needs a bit of polishing and the interface in PC is very lacking. Sometimes it freezes or doesn't wanna start up.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

I have used Spotify streaming services for years now and I have never been disappointed. They have almost every kind of music you could imagine and they have great prices, especially for students. I also love how at the end of the year they show you how much music you have listened to and what kinds of music. It's a very unique feature and I think it makes Spotify stand out from other streaming services.

Janella Davis South Bend, IN

I was a loyal customer with spotify for the last 10 years. The service was pleasant, high quality audio and access to MOST not all music. I like a lot of underground stuff... but the price was decent and for me I also was given hulu as an added bonus for having spotify so long. Well let me tell you their customer service is CRAP! I upgraded from the premium to premium duo and they took my hulu away. Gave zero explanation why, did not disclose this would happen before changing plans and said they could not switch it back even though it had not even been a week. I have the screen shots from our chat because there is no phone support go figure. So, i said after 10 years this is how you treat a loyal customer? Wow.... wo t get another dime of my money here. Sorry not sorry.

Angie Kirschbaum New York, NY

Kinda expensive but had a very good selection of music

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I use Spotify Premium and it is awesome. There are no ads or commercials so your music is never interrupted. I love how you can make multiple playlists out of your liked songs. And of course, the Joe Rogan podcast that is now on Spotify is SUPER fun to listen to and is one of my favorites!

Emily Ramsden Tallahassee, FL

I would not be able to live without Spotify! This music streaming app has nearly every single song or artist I want to listen to and also makes the playlist creating process so easy and fun! I also love how they make personalized playlists based on my own listening history.

ChristianB Chipley, FL

Are you ever trying to find something new to listen to yet your nervous about trying a different genre? Spotify will suggest artists and playlist that are inspired by your already favorite artists! Perfect for any avid music listener.

Sandra Kojic Jacksonville, FL

My favorite app of all time! I have their premium prescription, and I honestly go on this app more than I go on Safari. I’m always listening to music so it’s nice to know Spotify always got my back with endless amazing tunes.

Sadie Scoville Salt Lake City, UT

I don't have Spotify, but when I was in a car with my friends, I was nominated to play music. My phone was dead, so I had to use someone else's phone and they had Spotify. I had never used Spotify until that day and I figured it out in probably 10 seconds. So easy to use and I love the premium option!

Rylee Durfey Lehi, UT

I love using Spotify and I use it every single day of my life. It has so many different options on what to listen to. Like for example, you can listen to any genre of music, and there are a variety of different podcasts that you can listen to.

Claudine Doyle CA

I love the convenience of finding songs or artists. I love being able to make multiple play lists and choose the music I want to listen to based on my mood. I also love how Spotify introduces me to new music based on what I’ve been listening to. I’m a fan!

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

I use Spotify on a daily basis, it's my go to to find new music, find music that I remember from years past etc. I really enjoy making new playlists that I am able to share with my friends and family. In my opinion this is the best streaming music service. Spotify has so many functions in my everyday life that I don't know what I would do without it! It has great podcasts & shows, very user friendly and very customizable.

Connor Smith Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is my preferred streaming service by far. I have premium which is something I would say is well worth the monthly price. One thing I really enjoy about it is the premade playlists they make for me which lets me find new artists and songs that I end up enjoying. Although, one thing I don’t like is that I can’t change the covers of different songs to whatever image I want.

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

I will always recommend Spotify to music lovers. Spotify makes it fast and easy to gain access to your liked songs, playlist, podcast, and favorite artists. They created a personalized playlist for you every week! Plus, they recommend new music to you based on what you have been recently listening to. An extra bonus is your yearly Spotify Wrapped that shows you who and what you mostly listened to the past year.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I love Spotify! Their music selection is vast with great recommendations and playlists. There are so many users on Spotify that create public playlists that you can always find new music or a great playlist if you're in too much of a hurry to create your own. They also do Spotify Sessions where artists will work with them to do a few different versions of their songs - mini private concerts like. Spotify also has language courses and audible books so your monthly fee gets you much more than music. Great user interface on their site, computer app and mobile app - easy to navigate with good and relative recommendations. Service is easy to cancel as it's only month to month.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

I have been using Spotify since middle school. I am now in college. Spotify is the most personalized music app I have had. They make the best playlists for you, the best radios for the different genres of music and artists you listen to, their Spotify wrapped content is so engaging and the playlist conjured from that is even better. I am on spotify all day and I utilize the things they make for me all the time. As someone that doesn't make playlists, spotify helps me out tremendously. I also just like the way it looks. It's aesthetically pleasing to me. Also, the student deal where I pay 5 dollars for premium, hulu, AND showtime is beyond amazing. I am getting way more than I am paying for.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is possibly the best music streaming app I’ve ever used. I really enjoy all of the features that Spotify premium offers. I use Spotify premium on a day to day basis. I currently pay for the student Spotify premium package with Hulu and it really increases my quality of life. I find that it is easy to search and find music on the app. I often use the web browser as well when listening off of my computer. My favorite part of the app is it’s “new radio” section where you can find a whole radio station of similar songs to the song you’re currently listening to. I can’t say enough good things about Spotify premium.

Nitya Ahir Panama City Beach, FL

I listen to podcasts on Spotify and it’s changed my life completely. I must say that it’s worth the subscription fee! However, I would like it to be a little easier to use.

Aricel Westfall Slocomb, AL

I use Spotify to listen to music everyday. Has the best selection ranging from top known artists to small independent artists. love Spotify premium as it allows me to listen to music offline and skip songs.

Shon Scoville Lehi, UT

I love that I can just search for random playlists in spotify and their recommendations of music are usually spot on for what I am looking for. I don't want to have to pay for the no ads, but the free version is still nice.

Sarah Osguthorpe Lehi, UT

I LOVE SPOTIFY. I use it everyday, and I think I would die without it. I not only listen, but I've produced music on Spotify and it is so fun! One of my favorite streaming services by far, and I love how personalized it is.

Morgan Farnsworth Lehi, UT

I like that they pay attention to what I listen to and try to find me songs that I might enjoy, it works amazing anytime and anywhere! I've recommended it to lots of my friends to it and now its their main music app!

Delaney Payton Havana, FL

Spotify is the best streaming service. The layout of the site/app is very nice and easy to use and they have all the music you could want. All the different functions of shared playlists and daily mixes are very good.

Lilyjames Hayward, CA

I love Spotify and the fact that even if you don’t want to spend money and go premium you can still listen to music. You can find whichever song you want on there and listen to it with your hearts content.

Emily Hamilton Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify is an amazing music app with tons of different artist and many different premium plans. Though it would be nice if it didn't have so many adds id your not a premium payer.

Taylor Johnston

Spotify's Radio tab is a great, if less unique, option for music discovery. The Radio section works much like other music streaming radio functions, and it can be just as useful as the Discover page for finding new music. The page displays playlists of music similar to the songs and artists you've recently listened to

Korinne C Riverton, UT

Spotify is my favorite music streaming service that I use every day. I recently tried Apple Music, and hated it. Spotify is much easier to use and I love that it gives you suggestions for music you might like. I have hundreds of songs in playlists and love them!

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Spotify is a great way to listen to music. Even if you are not a paying customer, you can create your own playlists with whatever songs you want. They have a very large variety of songs, so you are sure to find all the songs you love. They also have suggested playlists with songs that are similar to the ones in your library.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Love Spotify. Great interface and ease of use. Only thing that I would like to see improved is the suggestions when searching for a specific artist. I want to see way more of their work when creating a playlist off of them. Seems like I get 1 or 2 suggested songs for that artist. Wish they would fix that.

Shopman Herriman, UT

We use Spotify every day. Going with premium is definitely worth it. I will pay to not have to listen to ads. My day is so much better when I am listening to my favorite music. I love that I can also listen to my favorite podcasts.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

I love this company because it is an easy way for me to collect songs and listen to my own playlists. It is especially great because it can be used at no cost! The premium version is also very convenient because you can bypass ads and skip songs without a limit. It has a great variety of songs available to its members as well.

Summer Porter Managua, MN

Spotify is my favorite. With offline streaming, it makes streaming from wherever and whenever possible. For just a small monthly fee, you can become a premium member and have free skips. At the end of each year, Spotify will create different playlists for you with your most listened to tracks and favorite artists. I'll always be an advocate for Spotify!!

Edwin A Gonzalez

I love it. They way you can make and share your playlists is awesome. I like how when your playlist is over, recommended music keeps playing because it set up a radio station based on what you like. And i actually discovered new artists i like because of that. As in for improvements, i like it as is but would be nice to get a discount once in a while for loyal customers.

Krystal Orem, UT

I love being able to stream/download any song at any time. It is also nice that since you have the ability to download a song you are able to listen to music anytime and not have to worry about using your data at the same time! I also love that you have access to the newest songs and albums that are released. There are no annoying ads and it also has playlists already created so you are able to discover new artists.

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is a really good music streaming service. They usually have any given artist's discography, but like other streaming services, may not have some songs or albums if it was not made available to them. The best feature has to be the personalized playlists you receive on your home page daily, weekly and yearly. Spotify also gives the option to make a radio station of a playlist you created, so it really encourages finding new artists and music, which overall enhances the music listening experience.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

There are many people that find themselves making the decision between Apple Music and Spotify. Although I am a faithful Apple customer, Spotify has always been the obvious choice for me. The student bundle is very generous by only paying $5 a month you get access to not only Spotify services but also Hulu. Additionally, Spotify still has a free service (not premium) and Apple does not. Spotify's personalized playlists are always great, the app is easy to navigate, all you dream of in a good music app

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

I love spotify and even purchased spotify premium for a while. The quality of the music is superb and the added hulu membership just makes the premium subscription just that much more worth it. it’s a lovely and easy to use app to get all of your music needs in one place. Also the selection here is vastly better than that of other music apps so kudos to them for that!

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Spotify is always ahead of the game as far as interactive components. I am obsessed with the new "Blend" feature that makes customized playlists for you and your friends by accentuating the similarities in your music taste. No skips ever with the automatically generated daily mixes. I'm able to customize my playlists as much as I could ever ask for, and receive recommendations that always pass the vibe check :)

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is my number one music-listening app. I love the software in place and don't have too much trouble with music shuffling. I wish they could make taking songs off of queue I literally had to google how-to songs I accidentally added off. But the app all in all is amazing and I love how they've been making it a bit more personal for listeners.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is where it's at! At first I was solely team Apple Music, but now I'm finding that Spotify has a lot to offer. I get music, podcasts, new, AND a discount on a Hulu subscription. My favorite feature is the "My Friends" tab, which shows me what all of my friends/followers are listening to in that moment and allows me to see whatever playlist or album the music is coming from. Spotify is so interactive, I love it!

Kylie Alpine, UT

Spotify is my favorite for streaming music. I am able to create playlist for free of the music that I like and play them whenever. I personally have only ever used the free version, but I still love it, an occasional ad will pop up, but the best part of Spotify that I think separates itself from other music streaming, is the 30 minutes of ad free music that it will surprise you with every once in a while. I am able to find my friends profile and listen to their playlists. Spotify also makes “daily mixes” that finds dog within the same genres that you have been listening to and puts it in a playlist just for you. This lets me discover new songs and music that are similar to the music I’m already listening to.

Jaylene Holcomb, NY

I have been a loyal paying customer to Spotify for years. The wide variety of music options paired with the cheap monthly fee makes it an obvious choice. Just recently, I graduated high school and am now enrolled in college. Being that I am a poor college student, choosing to pay for a Spotify subscription was difficult at first. That was, until I found out about Spotify’s college student discount. For only $5 a month, I get a Spotify AND Hulu subscription. This is just one of the reasons why Spotify is the ultimate music streaming source. I also love the social connection that Spotify brings. On my computer, I can always see what my friends on Spotify are listening to, this helps me stay connected to them and learn about more music.

Anna Hu Provo, UT

Spotify has legitimately changed my life. Music is a big part of my life, and I love every single service Spotify offers. I love being able to share and connect music with my friends, I love the customized playlists they make for me (weekly customized playlist for you as well as weekly newly released songs you would like), and the variety of pre-made Spotify playlists for a variety of settings, moods, and situations. Whether I need background study music or need to put on music for a party, Spotify has something there for you. I am constantly able to find new music and easily share it with my friends.

Ron Durfey Orem, UT

I have loved my Spotify service. However I am NOT happy with how they catered to Neil Young and others as they have raised their voices against Joe Rogan. I purchase this service to listen to great music and to listen to great podcasts NOT to have a political agenda pushed on me.

Anna Hansgen Medina Lehi, UT

I have tried almost every music app on the appstore and Spotify remains my favorite of all time! It is very easy to navigate and is very accommodating.

Elizabeth Havana, FL

Spotify is one of the best ways to listen to new music and explore other genres. It is also helpful for up and coming artists to post their own music to the public.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

My experience with spotify was shady at best. I wanted to try them out and paid for a month, but decided I didn't care for the service and canceled. They charged me for the entire month but canceled my service instantly, even though I had only used the service for one day. They didn't offer a refund or prorate the day I used, they just charged me the entire month and only gave me a day worth of service. I tried to get a refund however there was no way to call them via phone, so I had to send an email, which only ever received automated responses telling me they "cared" about me and someone would be getting back to me soon. What a joke. I actually get better service at a cheaper rate from a competing company, who I can actually call if I have an issue or complaint.

John Anthony Delgado The Bronx, NY

I've been using spotify for over a decade and i am a big fan! I appreciate all of the features and algorythtems it generates for my music tastes. The paid premium version is def worth it!

OrvilleBro Herriman, UT

We used Spotify for our family streaming music service. I like how we can filter out explicit content, by default, account wide. They have millions of songs. Their interface on the iPad, in CarPlay and Android Auto is dumpy. iOS and Android interface is good though.