Spotify Logo

8.9

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB. While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users. Talk about rapid growth! When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming. What makes Spotify unique? Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows. Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options. Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

Pandora Logo
#2 Pandora chevron_right
Amazon Music Logo
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists. Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand. As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month. Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads. Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee. What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part. In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them. Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need. All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

jscharm7 Cherry Hill, NJ

Spotify always finds new music recommendations for me and alerts me when new music comes out. I like how spotify offers a variety of content in every domain.

Chase Hardy Olney, MD

Spotify is a great music app, with great songs, and easy to use. The only thing i do not like is the adds. There is a premium which when you don’t have, you have adds, and you cannot shuffle playlist. However, you can make personalized playlist for yourself, those can go on shuffle, but the ones they made, can notOverall, I love Spotify, it’s just the premium that bothers me.

Saskia Mayette Tallahassee, FL

I love Spotify! I have the $5 membership which includes Hulu and Showtime! I love how they curate playlists based of what you currently listen to! I have been exposed to so many songs and artists that I didn’t know of through that feature.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I love Spotify's UI. It's intuitive and easy to navigate. It's personalized. They are always on point for the new song suggestions they provide. I started with the student deal they had that came with Hulu and I've stayed as a user ever since.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

Super easy to use, as well as to find new music. Only music app I use, love it! The only thing I have an issue with is without paying fkr it you listen to a commercials every so often which is fine, but when spotify tells you you will have 30 min of uninterrupted listening but doesnt actually follow that guide line I get frustrated. So I would suggest paying the small fee for it.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I used to just use the few thousands of songs I had on itunes, but now I just use spotify premium. The constant ads were so annoying and I couldn't play whatever songs I wanted, but I got offered 6 months free of premium. I love being able to download and play any song I want without service or wifi. My spotify does occasionally randomly cut out in the car, but it could just be my phone or car. It is very easy to use and manage. I also love the queue and sleep timer so music will stop after a certain amount of time. I also love the algorithm for finding new music with the discover weekly playlists. Sharing playlists and following friends on spotify is also really nice.

Kent Fuge Phoenix, AZ

I love spotify as a service when I am paying for it. They are priced fairly but if you are planning on using them to listen to music without paying their monthly fee, just don't bother. They have made the free version of their service so annoying that if I am not subscribed (like currently because I am trying to keep my costs down) I don't both trying to use the service. It's not the commercials, It's all about how they screw with the playlists. I would be happy to put up with the commercials if I was paying the monthly service fee, but they will let you listen to like one or two songs from your playlist and then just random start making up their own playlist. It is so bad that I won't use them if I am not paying for the service.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify has me as a customer for life. There are many great things about Spotify, one of which is their playlists. There are so many playlists for so many moods/activities. It is also very straight forward and very user friendly. It is more expensive than other streaming services, but I you get what you pay for, for the most part. It would be nice if it were a little cheaper.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

I LOVE SPOTIFY! I know everyone has their preference... But let me tell you why you should use spotify! Not only do they have an incredible database of songs, they have a superior radio selection and pre-assembled playlists. You don't have to be a radio head to find good music to listen to regularly. Plus the listening community is much more diverse in my opinion... Plus you get Hulu if you're a student so you tell me...

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I have been using Spotify for quite some time now. Of all of the music streaming services, Spotify tends to have the largest selection (based on what I listen to). They typically have more live sets than Apple Music does. Another thing I would add is that Spotify is typically the go-to source for linking to certain songs. And their web interface is really easy if you switch computers frequently.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

After using Spotify my first year of college, I knew I could never go back to any other music streaming service! I love how easy it is to create playlists, find music, organize songs, and see what my friends are listening to. With the college discount, it is a screaming deal for the value. My favorite feature is that Spotify will recommend songs that match your current vibes--this helps keep my playlist fresh and current!

Abby Layton, UT

I love Spotify with my whole heart. I have the premium subscription and it is so worth the money -- I use it every single day! I've used other music streaming services in the past and Spotify seems to have the best interface and features. I love the curated playlists that are on the platform, as well as the playlists that are tailored to my account. I also like how Spotify keeps track of the music that I'm listening to most often and then puts it on my home screen for easy access. It's so easy to use and really makes music listening a good experience. There is so much to love about Spotify!

Jessica Chen Washington, DC

I love to use Spotify everytime I want to listen to music. Spotify has a large range of artists and songs to choose from. The app is easy to use and you can even create albums with your favorite music!

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is so interactive! I love how they give so many options of music to choose from and they make the app so easy to navigate. Plus the college discount really saved my love for music!

Magnum0970 Cerritos, CA

Are use Spotify primarily for the podcasts. I’m not a fan of their music because I don’t listen to a specific artist or playlist I like the randomness I get from other music providers, but I think Spotify is fantastic for their podcasts.

kaylie mahar Springdale, AR

I have only had good experiences with Spotify because I always seem to find the music I am looking for. I also enjoy the recommended songs that are always below my particular playlists because they are similar to the songs I saved.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Spotify is the best music streaming service! Hands-down! Best subscription I pay per month. It is so easy to use and always works exactly how I want. I have no need to buy music anymore. I don’t think I will never not have Spotify! They are always making updates and improvements and looking for ways to make the app easier for its users.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is the best and only music app I use to listen to my favorite songs. I have been able to discover new music and create my own playlists. The only thing I hate about Spotify is the ads because I don't pay but it's worth the wait.

Sicely Lyn Russell Chandler, AZ

I have never personally had a Spotify account but my friends have so I've used theirs before and its pretty cool. I wish way more clean versions were on there though. That would be my only complaint. You can find the coolest remixes on Spotify though so that's amazing!

Lisa Gamble Layton, UT

Love listening to a song and then playing the radio station for that artist or song. Really captures the mood of the song I started out playing. Found some long lost songs that I haven’t heard in forever. It’s been really fun to rediscover old favorites.

Liza Wilson ,

Spotify is my favorite music streaming service! I’ve used others but always end up coming back to Spotify because the layout is so great and I feel like they have done a great job of personalizing your account to best suit you.

Freddy V Layton, UT

I have an IPhone but I prefer Spotify over any other music service. I have been with Spotify for over 7 years now. I pay for the monthly subscription and I never have to worry about listening to commercials, and I always have my playlists downloaded so I can listen to them anytime!

Jake Mecham Lehi, UT

By far the most appealing of all music streaming services. Everyone that doesn't use Spotify feels so left out at the end of the year when Spotify users get their year in review. The same price as other streaming services, but all of the options and more.

Shawn Howell Lehi, UT

Had Spotify, dropped it, then went crawling back. Spotify is a great streaming service if you want access to all your favorite music, and if you want something that will integrate well with other devices/services. For example, I download music from Spotify onto my Garmin watch so I don't have to take my phone when I run.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Love Spotify! Such an awesome way to listen to podcast and music! I especially love how you can make playlists with friends! If you don't pay for premium there are a lot of ads but love the playlists they have pre made and the flexibility to make you own!

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Spotify has always been my go-to platform, for all my music needs. I love how easy it is to navigate the app, how you can create playlists and queue songs. One of my favorite features, is the apps ability to create an album based off of your most listened to songs of that year. I have been using Spotify for almost 8 years now and plan to keep on using it. Great app!

Bethany Rockville, MD

My daughters love Spotify. They have had Spotify Premium for several years and enjoy it very much! There’s a multitude of artists and songs that you can play and create your own personalized albums with songs you enjoy.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

The non-paying version of Spotify is great. I am able to create my own playlist for workouts, driving to work, or hanging out. However, it would be nice to be able to reply songs.

Cris I. Orem, UT

I love the access to songs from every decade I listen to. I also love the ability to make and name playlists with anything I want and then share those with friends.

Wilinda Sylvestre Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love Spotify! They create playlist for you based on your music taste and they ALWAYS do a great job! Spotify has helped me discovered some of my favorite songs!

Gary Woo Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify is great. I listen to all my music on Spotify. It is so easy to find new releases from my favorite artists and making playlists is even easier.

Gracie Schellenberg American Fork, UT

Using Spotify is the best! I love all the new music recommendations they send to me, and the podcasts are awesome. I would highly recommend buying premium; it’s worth it!

Valerie Bui Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify is very user-friendly! I can play it easily in my car and TV. I've also discovered so many artists/songs that I like. Definitely better than Pandora.

Juliana Brassfield Meridian, ID

Total worth the price! Spotify has changed my music listening game! It has all my favorite artists and I love the car mode so I can safely drive while also enjoying music.

Conrad Ma American Fork, UT

The app is extremely easy to use and it has an extremely wide variety/collection of all the songs that I’ve ever looked for. Additionally the bundle with Hulu is an amazing value for money.

Tylyn Hansen American Fork, UT

I use the unpaid version of Spotify and love it. I don’t mind hearing a commercial every now and then, so as a free service it’s a killer deal! It's my go-to for podcasts. Being able to jump from my desktop computer to the app when I'm on the go makes it a seamless transition and I love that I can pick up exactly where I left off.

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

I like that you can almost find any song or artist on Spotify. What I don’t like is that you have to pay to get certain features like playback or skip a song. I think they limit a certain number of times you can skip or playback, they should at least increase it.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

I’ve been a happy paid subscriber for many years now. Music makes me happy so Spotify has made me very happy. Unlike other streaming services once you go Ad Free you won’t want to go back.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Spotify is a great way to listen to music. I like that they take an artist or style you like and find similar music you will most likely like. It expands what I listen to. And, I like that's it free.

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

Spotify really takes out all of the effort of having to listen to music. All you have to do is just make a playlist or pick a playlist, and it plays it for you. The only reason I give it 4 stars is if you don't have Spotify Premium, it can play a lot of ads between songs, and the ads are almost always the same.

Lindsey Muhl Indianapolis, IN

Spotify is the only music streaming service I currently use. It is very easy to navigate. The daily albums it creates based on my listening trends are normally spot on. I wish there was a way to shuffle songs based on the artist I am following. I also wish that liking an album just likes the song and doesn't add it as a complete playlist.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I don't use Spotify very often because I think it's user interface is more complicated and they have more adds than other streaming services, but they are really good for those who like to hand-pick their playlists and play music from wherever they are.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

Good song selection and I appreciate that you can either use the free version or use premium to avoid the ads. Sometimes there will be a glitch with the ads and after watching a video to get 30 minutes of ad-free listening it will still so the three or four ads afterwards.

Danny Bowen Eagle Mountain, UT

I have been a Spotify customer for a long time but recently tried to switch to Apple's Music program to see what it was like. It was a terrible idea and went back to Spotify within a week. Spotify is the best!

Karli American Fork, UT

Spotify is where I listen to all of my music and podcasts! I absolutely love it. It's so user friendly, well organized, easy to collaborate with others and has great recommendations for new music and playlists.

KKin Spanish Fork, UT

Really Like that Spotify can get me access to really any song or artist as well as podcasts. The family feature is great too because it makes the monthly charges very affordable.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

Best online experience for music though I wish it were easier to track podcasts. I can’t tell what I’ve listened to or view a list of previous episodes I still need to listen to. Also no easy way to track my favorites. I like the student discount but will miss it when it runs out. Likely won’t renew as it will get expensive.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

I use a bit of apps for music and Spotify is one of them. One thing I love about Spotify is that you could view other people's playlist which helps when you're looking for new music. I also love Spotify's easy accessibility and the affordability of it. 10/10 would recommend

Paige Stockard Wichita, KS

I love using Spotify! It is a great app to make playlists and discover new music. The app also has some really cool pre-made playlists and if you don't feel like putting the effort into making your own, it is for sure that they will have a playlist that will suite whateve genre you are looking for.

Vikti Mehta Frisco, TX

I love Spotify's wide variety of music and the daily mix ups and customized playlists they create for you. Spotify Premium for students is very affordable at only $5 a month and includes Hulu and Showtime. I highly recommend Spotify for students and music lovers.