Spotify Logo

8.9

One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB. While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users. Talk about rapid growth! When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming. What makes Spotify unique? Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows. Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options. Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

Pandora Logo
#2 Pandora chevron_right
Amazon Music Logo
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists. Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand. As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month. Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads. Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee. What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part. In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them. Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need. All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

I love Spotify, except that you can't have student Spotify for more than 4 years. I wish I could have it until I finish my master's degree. I miss the perk of the Showtime add-on.

1 day ago

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Spotify. It’s easy to operate and they have a lot of songs that I absolutely love. I have had it for about two years and have had no complaints within that time. Making playlists is easy and the app itself is very affordable.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love hitting the gym but having a good playlist is absolutely essential. Spotify has all the songs I search for and makes it possible for me to create a playlist for every occasion. For me that includes good music to get me hyped for a good workout.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

For me Spotify was super easy to use and find any type of music that you were looking for. There is a genre for anyone with an endless selection for everyone. They have a pay selection that gets you out of the ads and such that is pretty reasonable if that is important to you. I am definitely a Spotify fan.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

Spotify is the best! I got it last year as a part of a deal offered to college students. Best $5 a month I will spend. They have recommended song that you can find at the bottom of each playlist and you can download an unlimited amount of songs.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have been using Spotify for a few years now and I still love it. I'm always looking for new songs to listen to, and they offer a lot of different ways to find some. Whether it's the same kinds of songs you've been listening to, or songs from other genres, there's always something new to listen to

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I love Spotify! They recommend songs based on the songs you have in each playlist it's amazing! I have yet to look up a song and have it not be available on their app. Downloading songs is easy which has been very helpful for when I want songs to listen to on long road trips (which I do a lot).

CJ Milke Olney, MD

Spotify is absolutely one of the best music streaming services I have ever used. Although they do have a premium service, I have never used it as the free version is in my opinion not much different than the paid version. Great service!

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Spotify helps me stream my favorite music/artists. Not only does it help me stream them it helps me support their music and work of my favorite artists which I love. I hope everyone can use spotify to stream and support their favorite artists.

D Rockville, MD

I like Spotify because it has so many different music options and artists. Also, I love how the app works and I use it all the time to listen to music. I really appreciate how they suggest artists and how they give you a Spotify Wrapped as well.

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

I love Spotify, it’s easy to use and has a ton of great music. I love that I can create my own playlists and download them so I can listen offline.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love how I was able to try out Spotify for free to see if I liked it before joining Premium. I also like how their premium subscription is inexpensive.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have used Apple music in the past but I find Spotify to be much easier to use. However, I wish it provided lyrics like Apple music and sometimes my music undownloads from my phone.

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

What I like best about this company is how many song options they have. One thing I don’t like is how many ads they have if you don’t have premium. But overall it’s a great streaming app.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I used to just use the few thousands of songs I had on itunes, but now I just use spotify premium. The constant ads were so annoying and I couldn't play whatever songs I wanted, but I got offered 6 months free of premium. I love being able to download and play any song I want without service or wifi. My spotify does occasionally randomly cut out in the car, but it could just be my phone or car. It is very easy to use and manage. I also love the queue and sleep timer so music will stop after a certain amount of time. I also love the algorithm for finding new music with the discover weekly playlists. Sharing playlists and following friends on spotify is also really nice.

Kent Fuge Phoenix, AZ

I love spotify as a service when I am paying for it. They are priced fairly but if you are planning on using them to listen to music without paying their monthly fee, just don't bother. They have made the free version of their service so annoying that if I am not subscribed (like currently because I am trying to keep my costs down) I don't both trying to use the service. It's not the commercials, It's all about how they screw with the playlists. I would be happy to put up with the commercials if I was paying the monthly service fee, but they will let you listen to like one or two songs from your playlist and then just random start making up their own playlist. It is so bad that I won't use them if I am not paying for the service.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Spotify has me as a customer for life. There are many great things about Spotify, one of which is their playlists. There are so many playlists for so many moods/activities. It is also very straight forward and very user friendly. It is more expensive than other streaming services, but I you get what you pay for, for the most part. It would be nice if it were a little cheaper.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

Fun for listening to music but they have a lot of ads on the free version and sometimes it will just start playing random music that isn't on the selected playlist!

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Absolutely love this streaming platform. User-friendly and I like that they offer music suggestions based on your established music taste.

jscharm7 Cherry Hill, NJ

Spotify always finds new music recommendations for me and alerts me when new music comes out. I like how spotify offers a variety of content in every domain.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Spotify has a good search engine for songs. Creating playlists is easy and songs may be saved on my phone for later playing without internet. Overall, it's a good value especially using the free version.

kaylie mahar Springdale, AR

I have only had good experiences with Spotify because I always seem to find the music I am looking for. I also enjoy the recommended songs that are always below my particular playlists because they are similar to the songs I saved.

Amy Gardiner Clarksburg, MD

My duaghter introduced me to Spotify and I was hesitant at first. NOw, as a music therapist, I can't imagine NOT using it. It is so easy to put together playlists for therapy sessions, look up favorite songs, or just use the suggested playlists for a run!!

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

I like spotify because it allows users to choose whatever song they would like and create playlists with all your favorite songs. I have Spotify premium and I love how there's no ads and Spotify is easy and simple to use. Spotify is also great as users can choose songs to play next and add to their queue.

Chase Hardy Olney, MD

Spotify is a great music app, with great songs, and easy to use. The only thing i do not like is the adds. There is a premium which when you don’t have, you have adds, and you cannot shuffle playlist. However, you can make personalized playlist for yourself, those can go on shuffle, but the ones they made, can notOverall, I love Spotify, it’s just the premium that bothers me.

Saskia Mayette Tallahassee, FL

I love Spotify! I have the $5 membership which includes Hulu and Showtime! I love how they curate playlists based of what you currently listen to! I have been exposed to so many songs and artists that I didn’t know of through that feature.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I love Spotify's UI. It's intuitive and easy to navigate. It's personalized. They are always on point for the new song suggestions they provide. I started with the student deal they had that came with Hulu and I've stayed as a user ever since.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love Spotify. It is a music platform that offers a free and premium side. The premium platform offers several discounts for different groups; for example there is a discount for college students and a discount for veterans as well. I find new music, podcasts and playlists on Spotify. All of your needs are found and answered on here.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

Super easy to use, as well as to find new music. Only music app I use, love it! The only thing I have an issue with is without paying fkr it you listen to a commercials every so often which is fine, but when spotify tells you you will have 30 min of uninterrupted listening but doesnt actually follow that guide line I get frustrated. So I would suggest paying the small fee for it.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Spotify is the best music streaming service! Hands-down! Best subscription I pay per month. It is so easy to use and always works exactly how I want. I have no need to buy music anymore. I don’t think I will never not have Spotify! They are always making updates and improvements and looking for ways to make the app easier for its users.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

Spotify is the best and only music app I use to listen to my favorite songs. I have been able to discover new music and create my own playlists. The only thing I hate about Spotify is the ads because I don't pay but it's worth the wait.

Sicely Lyn Russell Chandler, AZ

I have never personally had a Spotify account but my friends have so I've used theirs before and its pretty cool. I wish way more clean versions were on there though. That would be my only complaint. You can find the coolest remixes on Spotify though so that's amazing!

Lisa Gamble Layton, UT

Love listening to a song and then playing the radio station for that artist or song. Really captures the mood of the song I started out playing. Found some long lost songs that I haven’t heard in forever. It’s been really fun to rediscover old favorites.

Liza Wilson ,

Spotify is my favorite music streaming service! I’ve used others but always end up coming back to Spotify because the layout is so great and I feel like they have done a great job of personalizing your account to best suit you.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

I LOVE SPOTIFY! I know everyone has their preference... But let me tell you why you should use spotify! Not only do they have an incredible database of songs, they have a superior radio selection and pre-assembled playlists. You don't have to be a radio head to find good music to listen to regularly. Plus the listening community is much more diverse in my opinion... Plus you get Hulu if you're a student so you tell me...

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I have been using Spotify for quite some time now. Of all of the music streaming services, Spotify tends to have the largest selection (based on what I listen to). They typically have more live sets than Apple Music does. Another thing I would add is that Spotify is typically the go-to source for linking to certain songs. And their web interface is really easy if you switch computers frequently.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

After using Spotify my first year of college, I knew I could never go back to any other music streaming service! I love how easy it is to create playlists, find music, organize songs, and see what my friends are listening to. With the college discount, it is a screaming deal for the value. My favorite feature is that Spotify will recommend songs that match your current vibes--this helps keep my playlist fresh and current!

Abby Layton, UT

I love Spotify with my whole heart. I have the premium subscription and it is so worth the money -- I use it every single day! I've used other music streaming services in the past and Spotify seems to have the best interface and features. I love the curated playlists that are on the platform, as well as the playlists that are tailored to my account. I also like how Spotify keeps track of the music that I'm listening to most often and then puts it on my home screen for easy access. It's so easy to use and really makes music listening a good experience. There is so much to love about Spotify!

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Spotify has always been my go-to platform, for all my music needs. I love how easy it is to navigate the app, how you can create playlists and queue songs. One of my favorite features, is the apps ability to create an album based off of your most listened to songs of that year. I have been using Spotify for almost 8 years now and plan to keep on using it. Great app!

Quinn Odom Tulsa, OK

I have used Spotify for five years now and it has been my favorite streaming service. They offer a rate for college students that I have taken advantage of and it has helped tremendously. The app also creates playlists and tailors song suggestions to represent music that I commonly listen to. They notify users of new releases and keep track of your listening habits so they can build your musical profile. Very hands-off app!

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

This is probably one of my most-used apps on my phone. I use Spotify everyday to listen to music, podcasts, and more. It is an extremely easy app to navigate and provides such a large range of music for a very fair price. I have always loved that they make specialized playlists for each customer based on their previous music they've been listening to and preferences. Overall, a great and reliable application that makes listening to all they music you could ever dream of easy and affordable.

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

I have had Spotify for two years now. The first few months I just had the free Spotify with ads. It was great, but the paid one is even better! I have the student Spotify and it helps me study and also relax! Something I also really enjoy is that it comes with Hulu and other tv streaming services! I honestly could not see my life without Spotify and would recommend it to anyone

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I love Spotify! Their music selection is vast with great recommendations and playlists. There are so many users on Spotify that create public playlists that you can always find new music or a great playlist if you're in too much of a hurry to create your own. They also do Spotify Sessions where artists will work with them to do a few different versions of their songs - mini private concerts like. Spotify also has language courses and audible books so your monthly fee gets you much more than music. Great user interface on their site, computer app and mobile app - easy to navigate with good and relative recommendations. Service is easy to cancel as it's only month to month.

Rebecca Salt Lake City, UT

I like using Spotify when a radio isn’t available. They have a good variety of music genres available.

Noah Talbot Provo, UT

It does a really good job of introducing you to new music and helps you connect with friends.

Debbie Spokane, WA

I love the variety of music available to me. I enjoy being able to make my own playlists, abs listening to others.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I like the interface of the spotify app and I like that you can create a queue of songs. I did wish that they had lyrics you could follow along with.

Devin Williams Concord, CA

Spotify is amazing. i love all of the tailored music options that spotify gives me like discover weekly.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Spotify is the best way to find new music! I love the recommendations it gives and the way everything is organized

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Both of my kids love using Spotify. I paid for premium service, and it keeps them happy. I like the billing process is easy and automatic.