One of the big names in the music streaming industry, Spotify was founded in 2006 by Daniel Ek and co founder Martin Lorentzon. It didn't launch, however, until October 2008-and back then it was called Spotify AB.

While Spotify is quite popular today among United States users, it actually launched in Sweden first. Two years after the launch, it had acquired about 10 million users, and two years after that (2012), that number doubled to 20 million. As of 2014, the company boasts 50 million active users.

Talk about rapid growth!

When Spotify first launched, it wasn't the most accessible streaming service around. People could only use it if they received an invitation to create an account, and even then they were required to pay for the account. Nothing was free. After a few months, however, the people at Spotify wanted to develop a free version-which led to the options users enjoy today. About 12.5 million people pay for a subscription to use Spotify while the rest enjoy free (ad-supported) streaming.

What makes Spotify unique?

Unlike some competitors, Spotify doesn't just feed you preselected songs. It lets you hand-select songs you're in the mood for. What's more, you can download songs from Spotify and listen to them offline on your device. Spotify syncs with a variety of platforms too, including the Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.

Signing up for Spotify is much more accessible now that the company is older. To do so, you just create a username and password and then enter your email address, date of birth, and gender. You'll also need to download Spotify on your device in order to play songs. With over 30 million tracks to offer, you'll hardly run out of options.

Despite its current popularity in the US, Spotify didn't become available there until 2011. More than 1,200 employees strong, it now reaches more than 50 languages and operates in 60 different countries. Its worldwide headquarters are in Stockholm, Sweden, and London, UK, and its US headquarters are in New York, New York.

#2 Pandora chevron_right
#3 All Access chevron_right

The Good

Possibly the best thing about streaming with Spotify is the control you have as the user. Unlike some competitors, Spotify lets you pick the song you want to listen to right now. You can also create and save personalized playlists.

Spotify also boasts a library of 30 million songs-and adds about 20,000 tracks to this library every day. About 1.5 billion playlists have been created on Spotify so far. With that extensive of a library, chances are good that you'll be satisfied with the music you can stream on-demand.

As a consumer, one of your primary concerns is price. Spotify won't let you down there. As long as you're willing to put up with ads, you can stream Spotify for free! Even if you don't want ads, the premium plan (which is ad-free with even higher-quality audio) is just $9.99 per month-about the same amount most competing services charge. As a bonus, students enjoy a 50% off discount every month.

Spotify is also accessible in 60 countries throughout the world, which means it's easier to take your music with you when you travel or move.

The Bad

One word: ads.

Because Spotify's free version makes no profit off of users, the company relies on ads and paid subscriptions to make any money. So unfortunately, to use Spotify you should be prepared to either tolerate ads every few songs or fork over a monthly fee.

What's more, some users have complained that certain ads on Spotify are inappropriate. This can be a major turnoff, especially to users who want family-friendly streaming. Not only do these ads interrupt your music experience; they can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

In addition, to use Spotify you need to take the extra step to download Spotify on your device. Downloading it isn't a major red flag by any means, but it does add an extra step and possibly troubleshooting on your part.

In general, the music streaming industry is still fairly new, but there are admittedly options with more years of experience than Spotify. Because Spotify has been around since only 2008 (and in the US since only 2011), it has a shallower history than some competitors. Again, this isn't a reason to avoid using Spotify, but it may be a reason for any kinks you experience with them.

Streaming music is an online pastime, and, as such, the website for it should be easy to use. Spotify's website is easy enough to navigate, but it's a bit visually overwhelming and includes unnecessary information. Because of this, it may take a little extra effort to find the links you need.

All in all, most of Spotify's limitations are not red flags but, instead, might disagree with your preferences. So as you search for the right streaming company, you'll need to know what's most important to you.

The Bottom Line

As a company, Spotify has proven successful in many countries throughout the world in the short number of years it has been operating. In addition to suggesting new music to users, it specializes in on-demand listening and gives you more control over the music you enjoy. Bear in mind that to use Spotify, you'll need to download its player on your device. But on the whole, they offer plenty of music, extensive platform accessibility, and widespread availability.

Shannon
August 2nd, 2019 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Horrible, I changed my name and email due to marriage and was having trouble accessing my account, and they asked me to verify the email that I had on record, I obviously couldn't remember, THAT IS WHY I REACHED OUT TO THEM in the first place! Since I couldn't remember they said they couldn't help me, I was just out of luck! So all the music I've had for years is gone. It might be nice if there was an actual person you could talk to, instead I got stuck paying for a service that I couldn't even use. If I could give them zero stars I would, so very disappointed. I don't understand how a legit company can actually do that, and just say well you are out of luck basically!

Heidy Mejia
August 1st, 2019 DETAILS

I really like the app when it comes to easily download the music I want, what I don't like it's that I have to download the whole album instead of one of them. Also, I don't listen to reggaeton it still suggests me playlist of it ( I don't know why). But I still skip it.

Tracy Womack
July 29th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love all of the great playlists that are on Spotify. It's also nice that you partner with Hulu to give college students cheaper services. You are all doing great work. Thanks.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 23rd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I LOVE Spotify. They have one of the best music streaming websites out there, especially with their prices.

Keeli Hansen
July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

I love using Spotify it has all the latest music and even older music too. They make it easy to use the app as well

Ben Crisp
July 15th, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

I’ve never really been a fan of Spotify. The app is super confusing and complicated. It does have a good selection of music and the student monthly price is very convenient, but Spotify is definitely not my first choice

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I’ve been using Spotify for a year or so now and I love it. I love how they create playlists personal to you. It helps me find new music every week. It also isn’t crazy expensive, especially for students.

Brooklyn May
July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT

Lots of music and variety of music. However trying to download to stream with no internet never worked for me. It also was confusing how to create playlists and add songs.

Breanne Stanko
July 9th, 2019 Logan, UT

Sometimes have a good selection of music. Really hard when you can’t figure out how to save and download music to listen when you don’t have service or internet connection.

Lauren
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I like spotify, but I wish there were less adds and that it allowed you to always pick the exact song you want to listen to. Sometimes I am unable to actually find the song I want. It’s hard to understand how to create playlists and get songs to download. It does thought have some songs that actually aren’t on Apple Music. The quality of the music is good however.

Dana
July 1st, 2019 Temecula, CA

I find Spotify to be difficult to use compared to other music streaming services.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Lots of music even some that’s not on Apple Music. Streams pretty good and love you can have different genre for playlists.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. I use it daily to listen to music and I love using premium to get access to any music at any time.

Courtney Eames
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I LOVE Spotify! It is my favorite music streaming app! I use it everyday! It is super easy to use and has every song you could ever want! I always tell my friends to make the switch to Spotify!

Boston
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Spotify is a gifts from the gods. A company that really cares about its customers happiness by creating personalized playlists and a user friendly model. Im a student and have still payed the full price for years because I just love you guys so GD much.

Tracy Hill
June 20th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. I use Spotify every day and I think the price is reasonable. I like how you can use the free version of Spotify to see if you like it before you purchase premium

Anna Lower
June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Spotify is a great source to get music from the app is easy to use and convenient

Whitney Stanko
June 17th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Great way to listen to music! Had lots of good variety and new songs. I had trouble sometimes getting music to download and actually load and play. Also trying to navigate it just wasn’t for me!

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT

used it and i don't like it at all song selection sucks on it and you can just go pick the song you want to play

Lilly
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I’ve used Spotify since I was young and I still love it. Especially because I have all these playlists that have lasted that long. The best part is you can download all your music and listen to it without service or internet.

Haley Baldwin
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I absolutely love Spotify. They always have the newest music. I love how they make playlists specific to you. They are very affordable, especially for students who can get it at a discounted price! I’ve never had a problem with them.

Nicole LeBaron
June 12th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Spotify. I love how quickly they update their library when new albums are released. Their Premium features are worth every penny!

Sierra Beck
June 11th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love Spotify!!! I had the Spotify student for a while and then now I have the Spotify family plan. I have converted my whole family to Spotify and now it is the only music streaming thing that we use. I love downloading my playlists and listening when I don't have service.

Taylor Walker
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Good service. They have good radio but I personally don't think its worth it to pay for it.

Samie Cummings
June 11th, 2019 Ephraim, UT DETAILS

Spotify is my very favorite. It’s very affordable with great music and it’s user friendly.

Nicholas
June 11th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

I don't like that I don't have the option of setting clean songs to only pop up during shuffle play.

Tori
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I’m definitely a Spotify fan I love the service my only complaint is it’s too hard to remove songs from playlists I wish that part were more user friendly

Sherry Walbrecht
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

I love Spotify. It’s awesome for listening to music and podcasts! Seriously, almost everything is on there! My only issue is the fact that the ads are super annoying and long if you’re not paying for premium.

Ken Francis
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

This service rocks. It has almost any song that i want. I appreciate it because i am using friends and family and it is cheap!

Sarah
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I’ve had Spotify since I was in Jr. high. Spotify is so nice and easy to find new songs on. I have trouble finding my own music so I just started searching songs for what mood I was in and they had lots of playlists. Very user friendly.

Emily Walker
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love that there is so much to find on Spotify. They make finding new artists easy with all their different playlists.

Megan trauba
June 10th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Spotify is one of my most used apps. I listen to music for at least one hour a day and I use Spotify to do that. They have a great way for me to set up my playlists and for me to save the songs that I like.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I will use Spotify for the rest of my life! It’s the best streaming platform. They notice your music taste and creat great new playlists perfect for you

Jessica Bjorling
June 10th, 2019 Eldridge, IA DETAILS

I love Spotify! Such a great selection - they have pretty much every song you can think of.

Camry
June 10th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love how easy Spotify is to use, how much music they have, and that you can have collaborative playlists with other Spotify users. My only compliant is that is actually fairly difficult to find clean versions of songs.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT

I like using spotify to create shared playlists. My friends have the premium version so they can download the songs but I have the free version just so I can add songs to our group list.

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I love Spotify. It has made listening to music easy and so affordable. I don't like how the volume goes up when the advertisements go on--that is super annoying.

Kathryn (Katy) Uhl
June 6th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is an amazing music site to use... If you have premium. If you don't have premium, Spotify sucks. I wish it wasn't quite so expensive, but I'm super glad I have it!

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

Well supported. Great variety. Love the user submitted playlists and other content.

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I switched to Apple Music after using Spotify because I felt like Spotify was sometimes confusing in their setup. I did like how you could que songs up easily

Jaylene
June 3rd, 2019 Holcomb, NY DETAILS

I have been a loyal paying customer to Spotify for years. The wide variety of music options paired with the cheap monthly fee makes it an obvious choice. Just recently, I graduated high school and am now enrolled in college. Being that I am a poor college student, choosing to pay for a Spotify subscription was difficult at first. That was, until I found out about Spotify’s college student discount. For only $5 a month, I get a Spotify AND Hulu subscription. This is just one of the reasons why Spotify is the ultimate music streaming source. I also love the social connection that Spotify brings. On my computer, I can always see what my friends on Spotify are listening to, this helps me stay connected to them and learn about more music.

Melissa Farmer
June 3rd, 2019 Littleton, CO

I use Spotify almost every day and I think it is a great way to listen to music. It is easy to use and you have access to almost anything you want to listen to. However, I do wish that you could stream the clean version of songs.

Jimmy Monroe
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Spotify is amazing. They're super kind to students. I can listen to the songs I love. I can find ambient music for my TTRPG games. I can listen to obscure musicals. I can pretty much do whatever I want. Thanks, Spotify.

Jacob Shaner
June 3rd, 2019

This has a lot of songs, which is great. I really like that there are only adds every few songs. The biggest downside is if you aren’t a paying customer, then you can only randomly play songs from the app.

Humzah
June 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

Having been recommended to upgrade from a family member, I was really happy with this purchase. Not only was the offline music player a great feature for commuting, but the increase in sound quality is very pleasing to the ears.

Eric
June 3rd, 2019 Mapleton, UT DETAILS

By far the best Streaming app on the market. I can hardly recall searching for music and not finding it (mostly classic rock). Quality of streaming is also fantastic!

Christopher Dutson
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT

Great music selection. I always use the free version, because listening to the ads is not too bad.

Brittany Bray
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Love love love Spotify!! Plays all just favorite tunes while I’m at work. I love I can make a different playlist and share it with my family and friends.

Brayden Babbitt
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Best way to stream music and connect with friends by sharing songs, artists, and playlists

Beth Farmer
June 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We use Spotify to stream our music. I do think we will switch to Amazon Prime music just because it's very difficult to use multiple Echo's in one house with Spotify. If my kids turn on Alexa in their bedrooms my Alexa will stop playing. Spotify does have a good variety of music and they make it really easy to make play lists. If they were easier to use with Echo's/Alexa's we'd stay with Spotify.