SoundCloud Logo

6.5

SoundCloud is a Swedish audio distribution platform currently based in Berlin, Germany and available around the world. SoundCloud allows its members to record, upload, promote, and share their original content. According to the company’s data, users upload about 12 hours worth of audio onto the site every minute, and the content is evenly split between music superstars and lesser-known artists. Over half of the songs uploaded to the site are played within the first thirty minutes, and the vast majority of uploaded music is listened to at least once. Since its creation in 2007, SoundCloud has challenged the dominance of virtually every other audio distribution platform available on the web.

Spotify Logo
#1 Spotify chevron_right
Pandora Logo
#2 Pandora chevron_right
Amazon Music Logo
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

SoundCloud is known for its impressive array of features:

• SoundCloud allows users to upload their music to a personalized URL. Sound files are also easy to embed, which means that SoundCloud can be combined with Twitter and Facebook to spread music farther and faster.
  • SoundCloud users may create and join groups with common interests, where they can collect, rate, and share relevant media amongst themselves.
  • For no charge, SoundCloud users may listen to as much audio as they want, upload up to 180 minutes (three hours) of audio to their profiles, create playlists, "Like," "Repost," and "Share" music, and "Follow" other users. The free package also lets users make downloads of their audio complimentary.
  • With SoundCloud PRO, which costs $6 a month or $55 a year if purchased all at once, users may upload six hours of audio content, view stats that include plays by country, and pin tracks and playlists to the top of their profiles.
  • With SoundCloud PRO UNLIMITED, which costs $15 a month or $135 a year if purchased all at once, users may upload limitless audio, view stats that include plays and traffic by city, and view the web pages and apps where their music is being played.
  • Both subscription plans include a 30-day money back guarantee and users can gift subscription plans to other artists.
  • All music that a user likes is saved to their "Collection," which is accessible from any page. A user's Collection is divided into four sections: Overview, Likes, Playlists, and Following. Artists that users choose to follow will appear under "Following." Users can also shuffle the music in their Collection by toggling the "Shuffle" button.
  • Users may choose to upload a file saved on their computer or record through the SoundCloud website itself.
  • SoundCloud offers apps for different mobile operating systems, including Android, iOS, and Firefox OS.
  • Users may add comments at any point along a song, and those comments display automatically when the track reaches that point.
  • SoundCloud offers an in-house messaging app that lets users communicate with one another through the website.
  • Unlike most other websites that stream music, SoundCloud features keyboard shortcuts to navigate music, search the catalog, and change the audio volume.
  • SoundCloud has mobile apps available for Android, iOS, and Amazon.
  • Users don't have to select a particular playlist in order to listen to music continuously; SoundCloud will play songs with similar sounds after users choose a single song, whether from the main page or their Collection.
  • Prior to registration, SoundCloud's homepage automatically populates with new and popular music in the network. The recommendations change with every refresh. After registration, the homepage becomes a user's feed, which displays new content from artists and labels they follow.
  • With most songs on the site, clicking the song name will bring users to an expanded content page with a description of the content from the artist, recommendations for additional listening, and space to leave comments. Selecting the artist's name brings users to the artist's page, with all uploaded content listed.
  • All content is tagged, and users can use these tags to sort their own content and others' and explore new music. Examples include: #beethoven, #future, #deephouse, and #hiphop.
  • Users can explore new music through the "Explore" tab. It is divided into two categories: Trending Music and Trending Audio. Music is further divided into genres.
  • Whatever music is currently playing will continue to play while users upload their own music, unless they are recording. The music does not automatically shut off, which provides for a fairly seamless listening experience.
  • As SoundCloud is a distribution platform and not an Internet radio service, there is no skip limit. Users may skip songs as often as they like.
  • In addition to music files, SoundCloud hosts content from speechmakers, comedians, poets, and authors.

The Bad

• Single sound file sizes are limited to 2GB and total upload time per week is limited to 30 hours.
  • SoundCloud is among the more expensive audio distribution services.
  • SoundCloud does not offer censor options for explicit lyrics.
  • SoundCloud does not display lyrics to most songs.
  • Song quality is variable, because users compress their own audio and upload it independently. However, songs' bitrates are usually displayed as they stream.
  • Users cannot "unlike" a song without playing it first.

The Bottom Line

SoundCloud's popularity is well deserved, as it is among the most accessible audio distribution services available. Its features are wide in scope, but simple to use. The service is ideal for new and veteran artists alike to share their music with a well-established audience. Its inclusive and ever-growing collection of music is well suited for anyone looking to discover new sounds.

4.1

Corbin Short ,

It really just depends on what you want to use it for. If you are looking for a free platform to listen to all of the music you want, this is not it. SoundCloud is based on users uploading files. It is not a Spotify or Apple Music. That being said, it's free! And, if you like listening to some live sets or ad-hoc remixes that you like, there is a chance it is on SoundCloud, but no chance it is on the other streaming services. I listen to some of the best most memorable DJ sets I have ever heard and they are all on SoundCloud. Oftentimes, they are on YouTube as well, but you cannot close YouTube.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

SoundCloud is a great streaming site for underground artists who are not able to get their music on the Apple Music platform yet. Any music by artists that I cannot find on Apple Music are without a doubt on SoundCloud.

Ramona Kiffing Pompano Beach, FL

I love using Soundcloud. I love that they offer different artists and producers a platform to present their music. However, I do not like the amount of ads they have added on the app.

Conrad Ma American Fork, UT

SoundCloud is great for discovering music from smaller artists who are up and coming. It also has many exclusives of content that isn’t released on bigger streaming services such as Spotify or Apple Music.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

SoundCloud is an elite platform. A lot of old music, and underground tracks are posted and founded only on SoundCloud. I have had this app since I was in middle school (I am now a sophomore in college).

Bria Daley Tallahassee, FL

What I love about SoundCloud is that you are able to listen to music that other competing music apps may not have, and people are able to create a platform for their music career.

Kelya Reid Tallahassee, FL

great music streaming service. I was able to listen to music from artists who aren’t mainstream, also gave me great options based on my preference in music

Jada Urquhart Orlando, FL

I use SoundClound a lot to find remixes and to listen to music by small artists. I absolutely love this app. Although the ads inbetweeen songs could be shorter.

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

If you want to listen to a huge selection of songs, this is what you should use. Unlike Spotify you can upload any music you want with no hassle. The only reason I put 4 stars is that you have to buy the Soundcloud subscription to listen to some songs.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

SoundCloud makes it so easy to stream the music you love. It is so easy to listen and even record your own songs/podcasts.

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

I like that I’m able to find so much unreleased music in here. I don’t like the ads, but I am not a paying customer so I can’t complain

Rebeckah Anestin Tallahassee, FL

It is great although sometimes I wish that it would have the actual version of some songs. It’s good for discovering new artists though.

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

Soundcloud is a decent music streaming service. The only thing is the ads are frequent and even when I did play for Go+, the did not have all the recent music from my favorite artists available to stream.

Conqualla Scott Tallahassee, FL

I've had soundcloud for years now and it still works wonders. It is especially useful when I can't find music on other platforms.

Jade Knowles Abingdon, MD

I used this service before I began paying for Apple Music and I still do. This company allows you to access all music and all artist!

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

I love that you can listen to anyone’s music and even different versions on SoundCloud. I like that anyone can publish their own music. I don’t like that it’s hard to find original music.

Juliana Castin Tallahassee, FL

SoundCloud is great if you listen to artists who are not mainstream, it has all your local artists and more! If you can’t find it on Apple Music, you’ll find it here.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

love using Soundcloud! gives me an opportunity to listen to up and coming artists. its fun to hear of their creative ways before making it to the big leagues.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

This is the place to get all the mixes you hear online that you can't purchase through places like Amazon or Apple Music. I love following DJs or independent artists who don't have record deals but are making beautiful music to share with the world.

Megan Milke Baltimore, MD

SoundCloud is my favorite app for finding original content from smaller creators! Best app for music.

Olmanika Milfort Tallahassee, FL

I really love soundcloud. I get to enjoy all of my music for free and though it have commercials, they are limited

Jaylynn Pierre Tallahassee, FL

This is my favorite music app! Not only does it have all the known artists but it also has the underground artists

Sierra Nixon Fort Lauderdale, FL

I use SoundCloud often and when I do it is a good experience. The layout of the service is a bit dated but it gets the job done.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

A cool app to help start off new artists. Can be difficult to find new music unless you are searching for something specific. A download/save option would be nice.

Myah Freeman Jacksonville, FL

SoundCloud is a very great platform for upcoming musical artists as it helped my friend get their music out. Soundcloud is also great for listening to music.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

SoundCloud is a great way to listen to remixes and underrated artists. I love the diversity of artists on SoundCloud! The only problem I have with it, is how annoying the ads are.

Mason Mitchell Fayetteville, AR

Soundcloud is awesome for listening to unreleased music or artist who are not big enough to make it onto the mainstream platforms. The worst part about it is the number of adds. I get one or two every now and then but sometimes it is literally after every song.

perscilla Tallahassee, FL

I enjoy SoundCloud because I am able to discover new artist by the app. I also do not have to worry about ads and SoundCloud is an easy app to navigate. This is one of my favorite apps so I have no dislikes.

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

This is the first place i go to listen to any new local artists and even my favorite mixes of songs! They also have the mainstream artists. You can find anything from mixtapes, albums, singles, mash-ups, etc!

Teagan Jarvis Los Angeles, CA

We can thank soundcloud for a lot of today’s music and streaming services. Thanks for staying true and staying free. I love SoundCloud even though the ads can be annoying, I understand it takes some to get some!

Violet Acosta Stewart Gulfport, MS

I listen to Soundcloud an average of four hours a day. On the weekends, it's on all day. This goes to show that im always listening to music. It's helped to develop my taste in music and find new underground bands I've never heard of. It's also a great way for growing artists to get out into the community.

Renan Serrano

When i choose not to pay spotify, i choose to listen to soundcloud! It's a true community sense. Now for me its working to upload some audios and podcasts, that with a rss feed player i also can increase the speed reproduction. All my asks were solved by soundcloud team

Bria Renna Tallahassee, FL

I love soundcloud its a great way to listen to music for free there is just a issue with ads.

Ben Knight Salt Lake City, UT

For me, SoundCloud has some music that is not on Apple Music or Spotify. It is reasonably priced, but would prefer other music apps before SoundCloud.

Wendy Park City, UT

I love using SoundCloud to find out the name and artist of a new song on the radio. It even has the lyrics so you can sing along.

FreFryAntony Bristol, TN

First of all, it's great both for music lovers as well as artists beginners and etc. Use it daily for finding less known music in high quality recordings. Recommend to everyone!

Quinn Odom Tulsa, OK

I have often used SoundCloud to find remix's of songs but it is hard to find original songs. It is not impossible to find original songs but it takes a long time and there are so many different remix's that it gets confusing. I will say that it is useful for upcoming artists to get their music out in the world. I would not recommend this service over Spotify or Apple Music.

Emily North Bergen, NJ

I love it so much I’m so happy there is an app that I can listen to music off WiFi I just wish there were more songs because I’ll try to find a song and it won’t be in here

Patrick Orem, UT

This is a great platform for rising artists. It gives them a voice. You can't really find that in other places. I actually also use it for posting music I create. Good place to find up and coming artists.

Mike Tomancik Prairieville, LA

How about updating your clunky interface? A -30 seconds and a +30 seconds button would work so much better than that slidey-thing that sometimes freezes and sometimes decides to jump back to the beginning as soon as you touch it. I have a Note 5 and didn't always do that. It's still clunky though and uncomfortable to work with, especially while driving.

Derek Heiner Centerville, UT

I don't use SoundCloud as much as some of the other streaming services but I like how they have remixes and things that aren't officially published. It also has helped me find newer music that I wouldn't be able to find on other streaming services.

Pete Centerville, UT

Soundcloud is one of the streaming services I use everyday. My main use for it is to find new music. I've only used the free service from it but it is easy to use and I really enjoy it.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

I truly enjoy using SoundCloud. SoundCloud is not as popular as many mainstreaming music providers but it is just as great. On SoundCloud I can find music not available anywhere else. I also think it is quite astonishing that they allow rising musicians to share their talents on their platform. Thumbs up to SoundCloud.

take7 Sandy, UT

Reliable for old songs that don't really have anywhere else to load their music to. Found a song on there I couldn't find anywhere else for a dance number we were doing. It was easy to share and play back for the actual performance. Free!

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

SoundCloud was a reservist I started off on although it’s not as established with more relevant artist there’s still a great amount of content being able to commute every day highly recommend please support them so they don’t shut down this wonderful service

Zharia Allums Haines City, FL

I have multiple music apps, even apps that I pay for a subscription for. Considering that this app is free (if you don’t want to pay for a subscription) I think what is offers is pretty great. The only complaint is the numerous adds and that it cannot be played without internet. Once again though, considering that it’s free, I think it’s a pretty good deal.

Julia Cavalcanti Orem, UT

SoundCloud is such a good way to follow local artists. Not everyone is famous enough to make it onto large music streaming companies like Pandora, Apple Music, and Spotify. It's easy to work around the app and it gives you exclusive music from your favorite artists that you can't find on those other companies. Many of the biggest names in hip-hop had their start on SoundCloud like Juice WRLD, Travis Scott, Post Malone, and many others.

Sunny Perry Springville, UT

Soundcloud is an awesome app because you can listen to just about anything. I would especially recommend sound cloud go because you can listen to it outside of wifi. I have had it both ways and it is definitely worth the time and money to get soundcloud go

Kaiya ward Lehi, UT

I absolutely love sound cloud because youre able to find artists that arent as popular as others as well as finding a lot of unknown and new music. If you are a musician it is also a great app to try to start to get yourself out there!!

Eric San Diego, CA

If you are an artist wishing to share your music and have your voice be heard then this is the place for you. If you are someone who likes hearing new music thats not the nonsense on the radio well, this is also the place for you.