iHeartRadio is an Internet radio platform. Since its creation in 2008, the service has expanded its offerings to include music recommendations, customizable stations, podcasts, and a radio network with content from more than 800 iHeartMedia stations across the United States. In 2014, iHeartRadio introduced the iHeartRadio Music Awards, which continue to attract hosts of popular artists. In 2015, artists Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, and Sam Smith won the “Innovator,” “Artist of the Year,” and “Best New Artist” awards, respectively. iHeartRadio regularly hosts concerts in Los Angeles and New York City, with ticket contests featured across the 800 stations.

#1 Spotify chevron_right
#2 Pandora chevron_right
4.1
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

iHeartRadio is a platform for curated music, with a wide range of features:

• The service is completely free. There are no hidden charges or paid packages available. However, you can choose to upgrade, which is not free.
  • iHeartRadio offers 19 genre stations, more than 400,000 artists, 15 million songs, and 1,500 live radio stations.
  • Users may create their own stations according to genre or artist. These curated stations display lyrics and artist bios and include links to purchase songs from other vendors, like Amazon and iTunes.
  • All custom-made stations are commercial-free.
  • While listening to live radio, the website displays a station page with links to the station's official website. The page also displays the station's genre, location, and latest tweet, in addition to the current host's name and the schedule for other hosts that day.
  • Users can upvote or downvote songs as they play. Upvoting a song will make it play more often, while downvoting a song will ensure it never plays again.
  • Live radio station pages display the name, artist, and album art for each song that plays. This display updates constantly, even when users aren't currently listening.
  • iHeartRadio is available in an app.
  • The iHeartRadio platform also offers a wide range of podcasts, sorted by popularity and category. Categories range from Health and Food to the Paranormal.

The Bad

• As an online streaming service, iHeartRadio's music quality is subject to the strength of users' Internet connections. Songs are not available for download through the site, even for a price.
  • iHeartRadio does not allow users to make playlists of their favorite songs, which means that users are at the mercy of the station's song order.
  • Custom stations are limited to one seed, which means that users can't create stations that feature more than one artist or genre. Stations generated by artist-especially composers with a wide range of material-are rarely harmonious.
  • Users can't navigate music on the iHeartRadio site using their keyboards.
  • Compared to other curated radio services, iHeartRadio offers relatively few songs.
  • Users may only skip fifteen songs per day, and six per hour per station. Once a user has reached this limit, the only way to switch songs is to switch stations entirely. Returning to a station will only replay the current song. The skip limit also applies to songs longer than three or four minutes.
  • Upvoting, downvoting, or skipping a song cannot be undone. Once a song has been skipped, even in error, that skip counts toward the daily limit and users can't play it again until it returns organically. Once a song has been disliked, it will never play again unless a user locates it through the search tool and upvotes it independently.
  • There is no option to censor explicit lyrics.
  • Users can't rewind, fast-forward, or record music while it's playing.
  • When using Google Chromecast or the Xbox app, users can only stream iHeartMedia-owned radio stations. Radio stations owned by other media companies are only available on the website or the mobile app.

The Bottom Line

iHeartRadio's extensive offerings set it apart from most other radio streaming services available online. It is available on more platforms, with more options for customizability, but interaction is fairly limited. iHeartRadio's curated service is best suited for people who enjoy live radio and don't mind switching stations or enduring mediocre sound quality to find music they enjoy. Audiophiles, look elsewhere.

3.7

Kaitlyn Rios

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is an amazing company. They have everything from radio stations to music by artist. Their skip feature is the best. It is a wonderful company.

Audrey Mitchell

February 18th, 2020 Managua, MN

Iheart radio is an awesome station to have when wanting the newest music to listen to. They also have so many giveaways!

Amanda

February 10th, 2020 Montebello, CA

I enjoy using iHeartRadio music because of the variety of playlists and different options for genres.

Jesse Rice

February 7th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love using this they play everything I love to listen to especially a Christmas time.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio has a place in my heart. It is a favorite app that allows me to keep my favorites handy. And it allows me to discover new music all the time. They have quite the library of music to keep you entertained. The tools are easy to use as well!

Juliann Mecham

February 5th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would say I heartradio is a quality way to find good music. It gives quality songs to the similar type of music that you like, and is a new variety to find new music. I would recommend.

Zac Cannon

January 20th, 2020 Biloxi, MS

I used to listen iHeartRadio when I had Satellite in my truck. I loved when iHeartRadio broadcasted their music festival as well. They always play great artists, both modern, known, and upcoming.

Toucanny4u

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I can play my old seventies music from the good old days all this new music hurts my head and leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Larson

December 31st, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is such a great music station. It always gets me motivated. I love to wakeup and listen to it. iHeartRadio is nice because you can get the app for very cheap and there are not very many ads. I recommend listening to it.

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is pretty good. With the ability to skip ads and to select the songs you want to hear off playlists, it is easy to design your own playlists.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

Mikey and Big Bob constantly promote iHeartRadio, so one day I gave it a try. It's so nice to play the radio and not have to set up a queue. Especially when I'm in flow at work.

Kylie Howes

December 12th, 2019 Provo, UT

iHeartRadio is a good way to get radio stations through the internet, but that's pretty much all it does. You can choose radio stations, podcasts, or their preset playlists, but there's really no room for customization. I've never been able to make a playlist of my own or curate their existing playlists with them, and so I would recommend using Spotify over iHeartRadio for that reason.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I haven't used iHeartRadio in a few years however I remember being able to find my favorite local radio stations from anywhere which is a neat feature. The concert they put on yearly is pretty neat to watch too, great artists.

Lauraine

October 25th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is great for around the house or places where there's a strong connection to wifi, but forget it if you're traveling.

Donna Barker

October 22nd, 2019

The only show I listen to is How Men Think with Brooks Laich Brooks & friends have the ability to connect with listeners - -dedication to quality with sincerity and sense of humour. All topics allow you to learn from others and improve understanding. Are these topics you want to listen to? YES Interesting Discussions? YES Their attention to correct amount of time spent , sensitivity honesty and genuine enjoyment doing the podcast is a reason why they are enjoyable. Gentlemen with character and intelligence. You cannot help but like these guys. Positive energy, you feel good listening to it. Not a wasted second. So good you may find yourself listening to episodes again in future.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I like to stream iHeartRadio on my Amazon Alexa. They seem to talk to each other well. They have great stations. A lot of variety which pleases the entire family.

bailey jo

October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT

Not the best selection and didn't love how many ads they had and how frequently they popped up.

Don Boren

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There are a good variety of stations with music that I like. The free version has a lot of ads, but that's to be expected when you don't pay for the ad-free version. Streaming is smooth without much lag.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is a family favorite. All of the popular stations and latest music can be found instantly. I also love the app connecting me to all of my favorite hits.

October 7th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Enjoy that I can have my local radio with me no matter where I go and what time zone I am in.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT

We use this service from our smart TV. I like being able to play the music through our TV sound system. Works well.

Ted Johnson

October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have listened to iHeartRadio many times and I like their selection and up-to-date music that they have. They also have good input from the artists themselves and I get to feel connected and love to hear about them and the latest news.

Rachael

September 20th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV

I heart radio came into the restaurant where I work for an event in Las Vegas (I’m a waitress). Everyone on the team who attended was so kind and called me by name and said “thank you”. Any company who is professional to represent the company in a positive light gains my trust, as I do the same whenever I’m in uniform. I am downloading iHeartRadio as a new substitute for my Pan**** app :D really rock on people :)

Joy Hill

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I like how iHeartRadio has all of the trending and the latest music. It is really fun to listen to as well.

Randy Scoville

September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the free app on my phone. I like it that I can listen to local and national radio stations. Makes it easy to listen to FM stations, since I don't have many music players that play FM radio anymore.

Scotlynn Blair

August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

Has a great variety of options and really get all of the good hits but not my type of music is offered very much

Tracy Womack

August 5th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio has the best customer service out there they are so nice and helpful. Not to mention their great prices.

bryce parker

August 1st, 2019

only problem i find is it keeps dropping out after about 10 mins. no issues with other apps so nit using it as much now

Brooklyn May

July 12th, 2019 Logan, UT

Great music and streamed great when it would work. Lots of time it wouldn’t load for me or work. Also lots of same music replayed

Breanne Stanko

July 9th, 2019 Logan, UT

When it worked, it worked good. Lots of time trying to listen it would cut out and never worked. Super sad cause it had good music!

matthew

July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT

really bad streaming not greatest sound. played good music but repeated same music a lot.

Whitney Stanko

June 28th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Loved listening to this station when I was younger. Nice listening to the Disney music and other music. Sometimes the radio didn't work very well but when it did it was super nice.

Rylie Crandall

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love iHeartRadio because I don't have to think about what music to choose, they have a great selection of music that I can listen to without having to think about it.

Jason

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like iHeartRadio because they play great music that I always enjoy. I will continue to use this for streaming music for a long time.

Sierra Beck

June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT

I hear about this on the radio all the time and so I went and tried it. It was fun to be able to select a certain station and have it play related music. I was able to find a couple new songs by an artist I didn't know.

Anna Schouten

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT

Easy way to listen to music online. Good for discovering new music. There is no filter for explicit music, however, and limited number of skips. Very few ads which is nice.

Grant Lofgreen

June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

Good variety and excellent quality. Commercials are annoying but I could just pay and get rid of them. Overall very pleased.

Reese

May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio has worked well for me as it gives me access to great music, awesome podcasts, and the most popular up-to-date music there is. I can make my own playlists and also listen to different radio stations from around the country.

S Suguturaga

February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that you can tune in to various radio stations across the country especially in cities that I used to live in. Great product, user-friendly.

Myah Smith

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I like using iHeart Radio. It is nice to have that option to listen to the playlist of songs without me having to do anything but click play. It always has my favorite music and the quality is amazing.

Noelle

February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had iHeartRadio for just a little bit and found that I did not really like it. I thought it was confusing and just sort of difficult.

Lindsey A Brown

February 8th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I would like to be able to use iHeartRadio more but being that there have been lots of songs that are unclean for kids to listen to, I can't listen most the time. I like the songs that I can play on there but usually for my ears only. I wish I could remove the explicit content.

Cindy Bailey

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used for awhile but when I was surprised that there was a charge I cancelled it

kelsey

February 5th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

on the app or on the radio I love IHeatRadio! even though i feel like their songs are on a loop,they always have the trendiest songs playing and even 80's song that everyone wants to remember plus hear.

Sjuanti K Ray

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They provide the best streaming music I've ever used and I'm not switching to another company!

Dasha Directo

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

iHeartRadio is good if you're more into popular music. It isn't the best for streaming though because there aren't options like making playlists.

Hailey Nilson

January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the music selection played. I also like how it provides a thorough artist bios.

Grant

December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use my IHeartRadio app every day! I love the ability I have to create my own stations based on my likes and preferences.

Erin

December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i love i heart radio because it gives such massive a variety of music. its only flaw is sometimes it doesn’t work with my phone but that’s over look able especially because the music it gives is so great!

Eli Slesk

December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like how I am able to get my favorite radio stations that are not currently local to me.