iHeartRadio is an Internet radio platform. Since its creation in 2008, the service has expanded its offerings to include music recommendations, customizable stations, podcasts, and a radio network with content from more than 800 iHeartMedia stations across the United States. In 2014, iHeartRadio introduced the iHeartRadio Music Awards, which continue to attract hosts of popular artists. In 2015, artists Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, and Sam Smith won the “Innovator,” “Artist of the Year,” and “Best New Artist” awards, respectively. iHeartRadio regularly hosts concerts in Los Angeles and New York City, with ticket contests featured across the 800 stations.

Spotify chevron_right
Pandora chevron_right
Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

iHeartRadio is a platform for curated music, with a wide range of features:

• The service is completely free. There are no hidden charges or paid packages available. However, you can choose to upgrade, which is not free.
  • iHeartRadio offers 19 genre stations, more than 400,000 artists, 15 million songs, and 1,500 live radio stations.
  • Users may create their own stations according to genre or artist. These curated stations display lyrics and artist bios and include links to purchase songs from other vendors, like Amazon and iTunes.
  • All custom-made stations are commercial-free.
  • While listening to live radio, the website displays a station page with links to the station's official website. The page also displays the station's genre, location, and latest tweet, in addition to the current host's name and the schedule for other hosts that day.
  • Users can upvote or downvote songs as they play. Upvoting a song will make it play more often, while downvoting a song will ensure it never plays again.
  • Live radio station pages display the name, artist, and album art for each song that plays. This display updates constantly, even when users aren't currently listening.
  • iHeartRadio is available in an app.
  • The iHeartRadio platform also offers a wide range of podcasts, sorted by popularity and category. Categories range from Health and Food to the Paranormal.

The Bad

• As an online streaming service, iHeartRadio's music quality is subject to the strength of users' Internet connections. Songs are not available for download through the site, even for a price.
  • iHeartRadio does not allow users to make playlists of their favorite songs, which means that users are at the mercy of the station's song order.
  • Custom stations are limited to one seed, which means that users can't create stations that feature more than one artist or genre. Stations generated by artist-especially composers with a wide range of material-are rarely harmonious.
  • Users can't navigate music on the iHeartRadio site using their keyboards.
  • Compared to other curated radio services, iHeartRadio offers relatively few songs.
  • Users may only skip fifteen songs per day, and six per hour per station. Once a user has reached this limit, the only way to switch songs is to switch stations entirely. Returning to a station will only replay the current song. The skip limit also applies to songs longer than three or four minutes.
  • Upvoting, downvoting, or skipping a song cannot be undone. Once a song has been skipped, even in error, that skip counts toward the daily limit and users can't play it again until it returns organically. Once a song has been disliked, it will never play again unless a user locates it through the search tool and upvotes it independently.
  • There is no option to censor explicit lyrics.
  • Users can't rewind, fast-forward, or record music while it's playing.
  • When using Google Chromecast or the Xbox app, users can only stream iHeartMedia-owned radio stations. Radio stations owned by other media companies are only available on the website or the mobile app.

The Bottom Line

iHeartRadio's extensive offerings set it apart from most other radio streaming services available online. It is available on more platforms, with more options for customizability, but interaction is fairly limited. iHeartRadio's curated service is best suited for people who enjoy live radio and don't mind switching stations or enduring mediocre sound quality to find music they enjoy. Audiophiles, look elsewhere.

3.6

Rylie Crandall
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I love iHeartRadio because I don't have to think about what music to choose, they have a great selection of music that I can listen to without having to think about it.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like iHeartRadio because they play great music that I always enjoy. I will continue to use this for streaming music for a long time.

Sierra Beck
June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT

I hear about this on the radio all the time and so I went and tried it. It was fun to be able to select a certain station and have it play related music. I was able to find a couple new songs by an artist I didn't know.

Anna Schouten
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT

Easy way to listen to music online. Good for discovering new music. There is no filter for explicit music, however, and limited number of skips. Very few ads which is nice.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

Good variety and excellent quality. Commercials are annoying but I could just pay and get rid of them. Overall very pleased.

Reese
May 17th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

iHeartRadio has worked well for me as it gives me access to great music, awesome podcasts, and the most popular up-to-date music there is. I can make my own playlists and also listen to different radio stations from around the country.

S Suguturaga
February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I like that you can tune in to various radio stations across the country especially in cities that I used to live in. Great product, user-friendly.

Myah Smith
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I like using iHeart Radio. It is nice to have that option to listen to the playlist of songs without me having to do anything but click play. It always has my favorite music and the quality is amazing.

Noelle
February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I had iHeartRadio for just a little bit and found that I did not really like it. I thought it was confusing and just sort of difficult.

Lindsey A Brown
February 8th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I would like to be able to use iHeartRadio more but being that there have been lots of songs that are unclean for kids to listen to, I can't listen most the time. I like the songs that I can play on there but usually for my ears only. I wish I could remove the explicit content.

Cindy Bailey
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I used for awhile but when I was surprised that there was a charge I cancelled it

kelsey
February 5th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

on the app or on the radio I love IHeatRadio! even though i feel like their songs are on a loop,they always have the trendiest songs playing and even 80's song that everyone wants to remember plus hear.

Sjuanti K Ray
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

They provide the best streaming music I've ever used and I'm not switching to another company!

Dasha Directo
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

iHeartRadio is good if you're more into popular music. It isn't the best for streaming though because there aren't options like making playlists.

Hailey Nilson
January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love the music selection played. I also like how it provides a thorough artist bios.

Grant
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I use my IHeartRadio app every day! I love the ability I have to create my own stations based on my likes and preferences.

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

i love i heart radio because it gives such massive a variety of music. its only flaw is sometimes it doesn’t work with my phone but that’s over look able especially because the music it gives is so great!

Eli Slesk
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I like how I am able to get my favorite radio stations that are not currently local to me.

Fernando Delgado
December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ

Love using iHeartRadio to be able to catch up on my radio shows and to hear music with out having to be driving on my car.

Katie Howard
December 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I use iHeartRadio through my Alexa app on Amazon. I ask it to play a certain artist, and it chooses songs and similar artists for me as well. I don't usually use it for live radio because I don't like the ads.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I like to sometimes stream the sports station 97 to 5 FM in Utah to listen to jazz games and sports commentary. Seems to be a good service depends on Wi-Fi connection.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Love iHeartRadio. This is the best way to get local stations or even stations from other markets.

jessica
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I like I heart radio I listen to them all the time on my smart tv when I am cleaning my house. Very user friendly

Katie Kearney
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA

I found Iheart radio a little hard to use, personally. There were a lot of ads and talk shows that I did not really enjoy. When it was playing music, I liked the variety, it just wasnt my first choice for music streaming.

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

I use iheartradio on the daily. I can listen to radio stations, certain artists, genres anything. The music is always great and can help with any mood that youre in

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

While I do understand the appeal of this streaming service I prefer to have my music completely uninterrupted. With that being said if you are a fan of radio this is the place for you.

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I downloaded iHeartRadio once and deleted it within the same week. The quality was really choppy and it reminded me how much I really don't care for regular radio.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

This service always was able to entertain me, and I really like how it is already integrated into a lot of hardware!

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Feels like when I used this it was just a lower level version of pandora, which already not a top tier product.

Rachel B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

I love their satellite radio station. They play a lot of pop stuff but it’s really not too bad.

alyssa
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

iHeartRadio attempts to merge live radio and a curated catalog, but the streaming music service lacks many of the features found in its rivals and its interface is clunky in places.

Jason Anderson
October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I love the ability to listen to radio stations that are not in your area. Can take them and local stations wherever I go.

Staci Powell
October 4th, 2018 Fruitland, MD DETAILS

I've been really patient with their streaming glitches. I'm not one to complain or voice my opinion but please know, if you have All Access membership and have PAID $12.99 to build your own playlists like I've done, whatever you do, don't step down to the Plus membership without finding a way to save/log all of your songs on every playlist. iHeartRadio will delete all of your playlists and then not answer any of your questions. It's not right for iHeartRadio to DELETE what I PAID to create. Customer service keeps responding to my email (inquiring if I go back to All Access, will my playlists reappear) but they continuously provide me with LIES. They are telling me that all of my playlists are still visible and accessible. I wish that were true. Getting my lawyer involved.

David Fowler
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

to manty updates, screws up my selections

Jim
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It works no matter where I am. I can get continuous news, period music (e.g., the '60s or '90s), easy or listening music of all kinds.

Dr Charles Wayne Kendall

they have a tendency to drop you off line, at least 3X in 4 hours

Alan lozoya
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

The streaming is great i can choose an artist and that type of music is played with very little commercial time. With a basic subscription you get unending music and happieness .

S. Sandy Sandy
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It is a good experience with them. I like the service experience.

Homeowner
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I like this because it is free and I can listen to a lot of different music and news from all over. The app works great most of the time.

Lynne Logue
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I have had no issues with streaming. It is easy to use. I don't have any issues that need improving at this time.

Rodrigo Marcus
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I simply love it, the suggesting songs system is really good the only way to really improve would be by becoming partner with a mobile phone carrier as deezer does in Brazil

Shari Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Love listening to my favorite artists without the constant repeat of songs like on the radio!

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I really like using iHeart Radio. They have a lot of options in every type of music I listen to. I like that the sound is really clear and clean.

wanda
August 31st, 2018 Saint George, UT

we are a huge sports fan and we love iHeartRadio because they have over a thousand radio stations to choose from. through iHeartRadio we stay connected and updates and score. we are happy with iHeartRadio and has had no complaints at all.

Melissa Reinoso
August 31st, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I listen to this when I am getting ready for work so that I can listen to 97.1 ZHT. They always have good radio stations playing and they are always the new hits that everyone likes to hear.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really like a few certain stations from my home town. I love that I can still listen to those stations even when I am out of town.

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Iheart radio is great! They actually get really involved in the community. They have concerts that future the popular artists from their station and app. There is no other station or music program that does that.

Rashida Laumatia
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Love all the selection of music and never have connection issues.

Dave Brinton
August 24th, 2018

I like the variety of music available. I enjoy the option to listen to music when I am not connected to the internet.

Bella Houtz
August 21st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

iHeartRadio is a great radio station that is fun for the whole family to listen to. We love what IHeartRadio has to offer.