Apple Music (Beats 1) Logo

Apple Music (Beats 1)

Is This Your Business?

6.7

Thanks to technology behemoth Apple, a new Internet radio station is available. Apple’s latest creation is Beats 1, which brings nonstop music to your computer or portable electronic device. With Beats 1 you can stream a wide variety of music and listen to it where you want, when you want to your heart’s content. Beats 1 comes with an attractive, low monthly price and the ability to put multiple people on one account. That way, you and your family members or friends can enjoy on-demand music as you please. Apple Music's Beats 1 is the new baby of iTunes and Beats Music combined.

Spotify Logo
#1 Spotify chevron_right
Pandora Logo
#2 Pandora chevron_right
Amazon Music Logo
#3 Amazon Music chevron_right

The Good

There is a lot to like about Beats 1, whether you are new to Internet, streaming music or have used it extensively for a number of years. Either way, you will be pleased with the quality and delivery of this convenient medium. Here are some specific aspects of Beats 1 that are sure to please:
  • No annoying commercials. Those who have been frequent listeners to competitor Pandora are well aware that free-version users have to deal with those pesky commercials ever few songs. It's as if you're listening on your car radio. One of the supposed advantages to on-demand, Internet radio is the ability to bypass such interruptions. Beats 1 won't hinder your listening with these lapses, so you can enjoy song after song, even if you are a member of the less-expensive plan.
  • Song selection. Beats 1 will give you access to more than 30 million songs. Yes, that's 30 million, and the songs come in varying genres that you're certain to find to your liking. There is no shortage of toe-tapping, get-up-and-dance tunes with Beats 1.
  • Whether you're at home, in the car, on the go, or anywhere for that matter, you can access Beats 1. As long as you have a portable device, you are hooked up. Beats 1 will work on a PC or Mac, as well as your Android iOS or watchOS.
  • The sound quality is crystal-clear and beautiful to the ears. At 265 kbps, the speed is what you want, as fast as you want.
  • Old-school feel. Listening to Beats 1 in a lot of ways is like listening to a good old-fashioned terrestrial radio, and there's something appealing about that to a lot of people. Of course, this has its limitations, but hearing something live in its entirety is what radio is all about.
  • Quality support. With Apple, you know you are getting a sound product-perfect, no, but top of the line, for sure. Customer support is top-notch; you can get answers to just about any questions you have on the Apple Music website, which in and of itself, is fantastically designed and easy to navigate.

The Bad

Not everyone loves Apple products or the company in general. And not everyone is enamored with Internet radio. Beats 1, just like any competitor, has limitations and things that people are going to find irritating or lacking. Below are some elements of Beats 1 that could be considered as shortcomings.
  • At $9.99 and $14.99 a month for the single and family plans, respectively, the cost might not seem like anything to complain about. After all, this is scarcely less than 50 cents a day. However, when considered competitors such as Pandora (or the traditional radio station for that matter) allow you to listen for free, this monthly cost represents an obvious disadvantage.
  • Listening limitations. While some people find it appealing to have the old school radio feel (as described above), other will find it annoying. For example, you can't move ahead or skip songs. Also, you have no control over what song comes next. Of course, you can select a genre, but this still leaves you with a slew of possibilities, many of which you might have no interest in.
  • Use of a DJ. Those listening to Internet radio want to hear music and are likely listening to avoid the nonsensical banter and talk that DJs bring. Well, at Beats 1, you get that. Song are preceded by the regular DJ chitchat you find on the radio. The DJs. Might talk about the weather, current events or whatever else you'd find on the radio in between song. You'll find yourself saying, "Get to the song already!"
  • A lot of people aren't going to like this, but Beats 1 will cut out any obscene lyrics from the songs that come on. Of course, some listeners will applaud this feature, but the fact there is no option to override it will draw ire from people who want to hear the song in its pure, recorded form.
  • Lacking variety of genres. The following genres will play on Beats 1: Soundsystem, the Mixtape, On the Floor, Pop Hits, All-City, Americana, Blues, Chili, Classic Alternative. Some of these titles don't explain what the type of music really is, but clearly, some popular music types-namely classic rock and country-don't seem to be present.

The Bottom Line

As opposed to iTunes, which allows you to download a list of selected songs to your device to play when and where you'd like (with the ability to start and stop a given song at your whim), Beats 1 is Internet radio, which streams to your device and plays constantly. Listeners of both media have their preferences, and each has their pros and cons. If you are an Internet radio fan, you'll understand what Beats 1 is trying to do, and you'll love it. Any time of day you like, you'll find a multitude of tunes coming out of your computer or handheld device to cheer you up, pump you, soothe you, or do whatever it is you're looking for you music to do. Beats 1 is in its infancy, and there are sure to be its detractors. But if you're OK to pay a handful of bucks every month and listen to DJs, you're going to almost certainly love Beats 1.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

Apple music provides so many different personalized music stations that come in handy during times where I cannot find a specific song to play. The range of songs and artists that are featured on apple music is endless and very convenient !

Sierra Nixon Fort Lauderdale, FL

I currently have apple music and for the most part, I love it. The only unfortunate thing about the streaming service is that it often does not have the music I am looking for. Although the customer service is superb. Whenever I have an issue with the service (which is rare), customer service is always able to quickly help me.

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I love Apple Music's clean interface and easy it syncs with other Apple products. I have actually found Apple Music easier to use than Spotify and I like that it connects with the iPhone's day/night mode whereas Spotify is basically always in night mode, and that is just a personal thing that bugs me.

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

I have been an Apple Music customer for years now. At the beginning, my whole family was paying for individual Apple Music subscriptions, but after realizing it we contacted customer support. They were beyond helpful and helped even refund us for some of the time that we had mistakenly all been paying individually, instead of on the family plan! Thanks for looking out for us Apple! Apple customers for life.

Syd13 Washington, UT

I love Apple Music so much! I love how simple it is to search songs and add them to my music library. I also love that I can listen to a song before adding it.

emily olson West Valley City, UT

Apple is the most organized music platform that I have used. I know exactly where everything is and sometimes I have a hard time navigating technology

Calleigh Clayton Lehi, UT

I love using Apple Music! They have every song and version you could think of! They also have podcasts and radio stations, lyrics for the songs and sometimes even music videos!

Cassidy Blaser American Fork, UT

I like Apple Music for the compatibility across devices. I can use my phone, watch, and laptop and have them all in the same place. I can use Siri to play and save music for me. It’s great! I can also share it with my family.

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

It is so nice to be able to have a free range of music choices! I can look up any song and play it at any time. The only drawback is that I have to know what I want to listen to before I can listen to anything - it doesn't have the best feature for discovering new music.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Okay, Apple is great and all, but they're still second to Spotify in my opinion mostly due to the fact that Spotify has better radio. THAT BEING SAID, there are some obscure albums I've looked for that weren't on spotify and happen to be on Apple. They do a good job though. A solid option if you're strongly opposed to Spotify

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I love that I can modify how I want my music to be organized. I like the user friendliness of it and that navigating and searching is easy. I don't like some of the features like the discover feature and radio, but the service is overall pretty good.

brindle's corner ,

I loveee apple music, I’ve had it for soooo long and I don’t think I’ll ever switch to another streaming platform again. It is so simple to use and make playlists. The only thing is, sometimes it’s a little confusing to try and find people you follow, other people’s playlists etc. I love that you can easily share music with others through texts.

Max Winkel American Fork, UT

I really like apple music because it has a good family plan. My dad pays for the unlimited music and it is great because me and my brothers can all use it for cheap. Sometimes songs aren't available in my region and I didn't notice that on Spotify but thats my only complaint.

David Anderson Providence, UT

We have apple music for the entire family. I am so glad I never have to buy music again for anyone. I can listen to any song I can possibly think of anytime on my phone. All I do is search and its there. Downloading songs to my phone is super easy. The app is easy to use and also is fully integrated with my sonos sound system. I would never go back to having a limited number of songs on a disc or hard drive. Now I can listen to anything anytime. If you don't get apple music, you're crazy.

Raquel San Jose, CA

I love Apple Music. They constantly are improving their interface to make it people friendly, while also making sure they show all the latest music and hits. I need a site that is easy to navigate and they have come a long way from when Apple Music was first released. I love that I can make my own personal albums and can download albums that other people have made. Another thing I really appreciate are the albums they generate based off your interests. Every Tuesday I look forward to my "Favorites" album and see what they have put together.

Aaliya Ghadafii Tallahassee, FL

I am really impressed with the easy to use layout of Apple Music and how I am able to connect music from it to play on my TV and in my car as well.

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

Apple Music is by far my fav streaming service for music. They have all the newest songs ready to go and they have good playlists too. Try it.

Kelya Reid Tallahassee, FL

great streaming service for music as well as the student discount. I like how I am able to customize and make my own playlists

Gary Woo Salt Lake City, UT

Apple Music is great, i can listen to all my music on there and the user interface makes navigating really easy for the user.

Emma Fairbanks Payson, UT

I absolutely love Apple Music it has all the songs I could ever imagine and let’s me follow my friends to see what they are listening to

Emily Evans American Fork, UT

Apple Music is the best! I use it for all of my my music and it almost always has the songs that I'm looking for. Would definitely recommend!

Emily Marlowe American Fork, UT

The best variety and selection! Great announcers and the mix of music is great! Easy to listen to in the background or at a party.

Lex Midway, UT

I love Apple music I use it everyday and its so nice and easy, and because I am a student I guess a nice discount which saves the bank lol

Jade Knowles Abingdon, MD

I love Apple Music! I can access my playlists from either of my Apple devices and they give discounts to students still in school.

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

Apple Music is a great music platform! I love that they provide the song along lyrics! I think they should also be an unpaid version like some other music apps.

Jazmin Redmond, WA

I like it. Use it very often. It’s free for me. I wish it were a little more organized and a little nicer. It doesn’t seem like they put a lot of effort to improve it

Drake Allen Provo, UT

Love that it has a clean easy to use look and syncs well with the devices I want to use it with. Super easy to find clean versions of songs for more gentle ears while still being able to enjoy the music.

Emma Simpson West Valley City, UT

Apple Music is so nice because it is convenient. I also really appreciate that I can listen to clean versions of songs with Apple Music instead of using YouTube.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Apple Music is a great place to find new music. I like listening to their curated playlists and radio stations. One thing I wish Apple Music had that other music streaming platforms have, is a social aspect.

Preston Darger Orem, UT

Love how simple it is and how it integrates with all of my other home tech. I sync it with my smart home, my phone, my car and it works for the whole family.

Brooklyn Bishop Smithfield, UT

I absolutely love Apple Music! It is so easy to navigate and has so many stations and options for music. Your music automatically downloads when you add it to a downloaded playlist. I would totally recommend!

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

I love the service that Apple Music provides! I have the family plan and I love that it is affordable and accessible to everyone in my family. We all love it and use it on a daily basis.

Hudson Stewart American Fork, UT

I use apple music everyday and I love it! I love how I have every song I can think of but not watch any ads and have a very small payment. I would definitely recommend apple music to everyone.

Tate Wilde3 American Fork, UT

I love apple music because it allows me to listen to whatever song I like, weather it is form 1980 or from 2020 I can listen to it all. I like how easy it is to make and name playlists.

Samuel Keith American Fork, UT

I really appreciate the way the apple music app is set up it make it very simple and easy to use. Compared to other music services apple music makes it the easiest to find the music I want.

Alejandro Perez Corpus Christi, TX

This is the best streaming service if you are heavily invested into the Apple ecosystem. Syncing between devices and default app on the mac so what else do you need. Spotify does not have lyrics.

Brooke Martin Fayetteville, AR

I love how easy it is to create playlists on Apple Music. I also love how it is compatible with my Apple Watch so that I can listen to Apple Music on my runs without having to bring my phone with me.

Ericka P Collins, GA

I love being able to look up any song I want to using Apple Music. This makes finding new songs or artists really easy. I also like that a family plan is an option so my whole family can have access to Apple Music using the same bill/account.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I love that Apple Music is available whenever I want to work out or clean or just need music to play in the car. It's easy to use and always has playlists that are just what I need. And, it helps to personalize music on playlists based on what I listen to the most. It's a great service and I listen to Apple Music as least twice a day. It has changed how I listen to music.

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

I much prefer Apple Music to Spotify. If you have an iPhone, Apple Music is consistent with the rest of Apple’s formatting, so it’s very easy to use. You can find pretty much everything on there. It’s easy to find songs, make playlists, and share music. The family plan let’s multiple people in a family have their own libraries for the price of one membership, making it super cheap. I like it way better than Spotify.

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

I did a 90-day free trial with Apple Music and was very impressed. I've always been an Apple user, so using their music streaming made it super easy, like telling Siri to play a song or a playlist, getting customized playlists and recommendations, and integrating songs I had previously purchased from iTunes. I didn't continue with the service after the trial because Apple Music doesn't integrate with Amazon's Echo and I needed to be able to play music from Echo, so I opted for Spotify premium. This is my only annoyance with Apple products is that you typically can only use them within their own ecosystem.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I love music and Apple beats provides an excellent variety of music and songs. I love their amazing format.

Jaylynn Pierre Tallahassee, FL

Apple Music specializes my experiences and sends me new songs and playlists that they know I already like.

Anya Lee Tallahassee, FL

Apple Music is my favorite music streaming service! I love the “browse” page as it helps me discover new music!

Bria Daley Tallahassee, FL

What I like about Apple Music is that you are able to find all of your favorite songs, listen to podcasts and browse all different genres of music.

karis buggs

I love the variety of songs that are available on this platform. The playlists are also catered to me.

Julia R Spring, TX

My favourite music platform, the aesthetic and organisation is so pleasing to me. Has a lot of the music I listen to as well

Lukaah Marlowe American Fork, UT

I really like Apple Music. The interface is great, recommendations are fantastic, and there is never enough music to be heard, because of this app.

Elliemarlowe ,

Apple Music is so pleasing to the eye and has great features. Lots of good songs and playlists available. Very easy to navigate!

Janiah Cook Tallahassee, FL

I love apple music ! It always has the songs I am looking for. I also love the fact that they provide student discounts.