Founded in 1992, SunPower is a solar company that prides itself on delivering reliable energy and long-term peace of mind for homeowners and businesses. The company is a pioneer in the industry and currently holds more than 750 patents for solar technology.

SunPower is known for manufacturing top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels that generate more power than conventional solar technologies. The company has a uniquely attractive, all-black appearance for itself and offers a few different options to help both residential and commercial consumers get started with renewable energy. SunPower outsources most, if not all, of its projects to third-party solar installers.

Keep reading to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SunPower, and check out SunPower reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available
  • High Efficiency Panels
  • Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production
  • Attractive Appearance
  • Compatible With Battery Storage
  • Online Monitoring
  • Lengthy Warranties

Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available

SunPower offers three different payment options for customers to choose from: solar leasing, purchasing with cash, and financing with a loan.

With the lease option, SunPower Capital owns the system and the customer rents the system from the company, requiring monthly payments. The lease comes with a 20-year performance guarantee, as well as easy options in case the customer needs to transfer the lease.

SunPower also offers outright purchase and financing options for customers interested in the tax credits and other incentives that come along with solar power ownership. Loan terms for solar systems typically range from 5 to 20 years and do not have any prepayment penalties attached.

The cost of a SunPower solar system ultimately depends on several factors, including current energy usage, available amount of unshaded roof space, the local utility’s net metering policy, and other factors. The easiest way to figure out exactly how much solar will cost you is to obtain a free quote from SunPower.

High Efficiency Panels

SunPower is on the cutting edge of solar technology and excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment, so customers can be confident that they will have high quality products on their homes.

In fact, SunPower makes the highest efficiency solar panels you can buy for your roof in today's market, and the company's solar cells are made of anti-reflective glass and coated with anti-reflective coating to ensure that they capture as much sunlight as possible.

Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production

SunPower's X-Series solar panels excel in terms of power generation and deliver 44 percent more energy per watt than competitive products. This means that SunPower can provide more clean power for its customers' homes with fewer solar panels.

SunPower panels also boast 75 percent more energy per watt than conventional solar panels, meaning that an investment in a SunPower system will ultimately pay off more in the long run.

Additonally, SunPower panels maintain their energy production much better than conventional panels in partly-shaded conditions, making them a better rooftop solar option for customers who live in a cloudy region or a relatively shaded area.

Attractive Appearance

In addition to being highly efficient, SunPower's panels are uniquely attractive and aesthetically pleasing. While many other companies in the solar industry offer traditional blue photovoltaic panels, SunPower's panels are all black, which helps them to blend in better with the rooftop on many houses.

Compatible With Battery Storage

SunPower's panels are compatible with the Freedom CPAP Battery produced by Battery Power Solutions. When a SunPower module is installed along with this battery, customers will still have access to electricity in the event of a power outage.

Online Monitoring

Online monitoring is extremely important for customers who want to see what the panels on their roof are producing and ensure that everything is up to par.

SunPower offers a helpful, convenient app for customers to do just that. The app provides important system information such as power output, savings, energy usage over time, and environmental effects.

There is also a consumption monitoring kit that provides more information than the app for customers who would like a more in-depth way to monitor their system. The consumption monitoring kit is installed by the dealer, but may not be compatible with all homes.

Lengthy Warranties

SunPower offers multiple warranties to protect its customers' solar energy systems, including a 25-year product warranty, which covers the equipment itself, and a 25-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation. The clean energy company also offers a 25-year performance warranty, which covers the customer in the event that their solar modules underperform in terms of electricity production and output.

The Bad

• No PPAs for Non-Commerical Buyers
  • Few In-House Installations
  • Customer Service Complaints

No PPAs for Non-Commercial Buyers

Many customers may be interested in obtaining a SunPower module through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) because this payment method typically includes some kind of $0 down option, which eliminates a barrier to entry for them to go solar.

Unfortunately, SunPower only offers PPAs to commercial customers, so consumers who are interested in a PPA for their home solar system will not have much luck with this company.

Few In-House Installations

SunPower is performing installations itself in select areas of California; however, SunPower panels are available in the following 18 states through a network of dealers:

• Arizona
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Texas
  • Utah

The dealer you choose will end up being your installer and customer care center for the life of the solar PV panels, which creates a bit of confusion as to who should be contacted (the dealer or SunPower) in the event that any issues occur.

Customer Service Complaints

Many users on our site have provided negative feedback in regards to SunPower's customer service.

Common complaints include difficulty to reach a representative, company failure to return phone calls, slow response time, and inability to resolve issues.

The Bottom Line

SunPower offers a number of payment options, some of the most efficient solar panels in the industry, online monitoring for its customers, and a lengthy workmanship and product warranty.

However, the company does not offer PPAs to residential customers and outsources most of its installations, making it confusing for customers to know who to contact if there is an issue.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.1

Kendra

January 14th, 2020 Aledo, IL

Requested information but was never contacted

Jan 15, 2020

Hello Ms Kendra. I'm not sure what prompted the 1 star review, but I'd be happy to help with any concerns you may have. Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will have an executive service specialist reach out to you. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

Tori

January 14th, 2020 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From my experience so far the panels themselves have done their job. Sunpower, the company is difficult to get a hold of. The distributor who did the install closed their doors, so I lost the warranty for my roof. I'd like to get my panels cleaned, and have been reaching out to Sunpower. I feel abandoned. Lol

TehFeng Fang

January 8th, 2020 Northridge, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ever since my system was installed, I have lost connection for three times, nothing has changed in the house, WiFi, internet, IPTV and all. I tried to reach online chat and help hotline, and every time is unsuccessful. If I had a choice, I'd never even consider sunpower. What a hoax!

Jan 10, 2020

Hello TehFeng Fang, I'm sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. I'd like to look into this a little further. Please be expecting a call from an executive service specialist to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and value your feedback. Thank you,

Steven Allen

January 3rd, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I chose Sun Power for their top rated panels several years ago. Installation was top notch. But I have to say the company's response to issue and over all customer support is lacking. I have not generated a lick of energy from my panels for over 3 weeks. When I placed a call I couldn't even schedule a visit from a technician. Instead I was told someone would call me to schedule a visit in 7-10 days. I wasn't given a report number so who knows if I'm in the system to get a return call. I'm now writing as I wait many minutes to speak with a representative.

Jan 07, 2020

Hello Mr. Allen, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details and the property address. Once I have your account information, I can have an Executive Service Specialist reach out to you to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Thank you

John

December 31st, 2019 Elk Grove, CA

I bought my new home, it's a model home. I was told everything works... but when I moved in, it was not working... along with some other hassles. Long story short, found out our solar didn't work at all and something had malfunction. SunPower sent 3 people at 3 different time to try to fix it... I literally wanted to knock one star off of this because of that... because I felt kind that wasted some of my time. When they couldn't identify the root cause, they went their way out to give me a new system. The customer service rep followed up with me constantly at every month since then to tell me the status of where things were. It is good that I don't have to call them. For this, they got their one star back. Depending on how things go once my new system arrives, we'll determine my overall review. For now, 5 stars for the constant updates.

Craig

December 31st, 2019 St. Petersburg, FL

My sales rep was well informed, professional and thorough in his energy saving information. In my experience here in Florida, solar energy is the way to go in the future. However, to have solar without a backup battery kind of defeats the purpose of still being connected to the power company. We have hurricanes, loss of power, severe storms, loss of power, antiquated infrastructure, loss of power. My point is this; I need a system that doesn’t eliminate the infrastructure but supports it from an individual basis and backs me when I need it as well. To sell me a system that doesn’t include a backup battery in the quote is unfair to me the consumer. Also, my quote was over $50,000 by the time the backup was included and other incidentals.

Dean S

December 30th, 2019 Ripon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunpower has earned and kept my trust as a company who truly values their customers. We experienced a leak in a part of the roof that their subcontractor had worked on and they sent someone out within 30 minutes of being notified of this. That is extremely impressive!

Rich

December 23rd, 2019 Riverside, CA

I twice utilized SunPower’s online request for a solar system. They never contacted me. Poor service before I ever even was able to talk with them. Is this a sample of their company’s approach to customer service? Why would I even consider them as my solar company?

Dec 30, 2019

Hello Bob, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. Upon receipt, I will have an executive service specialist reach out to you to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Bob Hutton

December 20th, 2019 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had my SP system for 7 years as a100% prepaid lease. At first they were excellent with customer service and would call or email if system wasn’t performing or reporting in so they could monitor. Customer service and their performance guarantee has since severely degraded. Can’t get call back even when promised by representatives. I’ve called so many times I can’t count them all. I’m now approaching 4 months with a defective system and no means of monitoring or knowing if system is even producing power. Instead I’m being told they can’t get the parts needed to make repairs and they can’t even estimate when they might get the parts! Makes me very suspicious and concerned that they are having financial problems and are possibly about to fold. Could this be the reason suppliers have stopped shipping parts? Suggest any potential customers carefully evaluate the financial stability of SP or any solar company that they may be considering.

Dec 30, 2019

Hello Mr. Hutton, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Peggy Ann Jarolin

December 13th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible commitment to customers. Purchased my system as a part of my new home in 2008. 25 year warranty! EXCEPT that the inverter (which I now find out has a 10 year warranty) failed this year and the entire system is now useless. There is no replacement for the inverter and I can not get SunPower to give me any help at all in finding a solution. In fact, I find that SunPower has closed my case filed with them both without advising me and giving me an alternative solution. Customer service is non existent on an over $20K investment which is now totally worthless.

Dec 13, 2019

Hello Mrs. Jarolin, I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experience. I'm would like to look into this issue further. Please be expecting a call from an executive service specialist to discuss this issue in detail. We appreciate your business and truly value your business.

Don

December 12th, 2019 Surprise, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This will be no surprise to most SunPower customers SunPowers customer service is absolutely useless I have a Communications issue with my system they emailed me to notify me that they had lost Communications two weeks prior to the email and then after establishing that it was not a Communications issue with my Wi-Fi or my internet it was going to take them 7 to 10 days to have a service technician contact me to make an appointment to come out and look at it SunPower has absolutely no intentions of getting into any kind of a hurry about taking care of a system that's broken down for any reason they don't care about their customers because they already got their money so why worry about going out and fixing something that you're obligated to keep running all the time so this review results in a big fat zero Stars for SunPower search Elsewhere for your solar needs!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 13, 2019

Hello Don, I'm very discouraged to hear of you negative experience. I would like to look into this matter further. Please send me a private message with your contact information and your address. I will have an executive service specialist reach out to you. Thank you for your time and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you,

Bill W

December 12th, 2019 Sun City, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sun powering my opinion has the most innovative product. But having the most innovative product doesn’t mean it is the best pro duct overall. You also have to look at Reliability , Customer service and if they monitor your system. I have had this system for 3 years and have not gone 12 months without a failure. My system is down again! After two years the inverters went out and had to be replaced. Six months later, where I should be producing 60 kilowatts I’m getting 6. I had to call them, so if they had the ability to monitor my system why couldn’t they call me. Systems been down a week and five days and still no call. Last time I had to call the local repairman to set up an appointment time, I guess they learned there lesson this time they will not give me there no. I will say when this system works it works well. When a service person come out to work on the system they do a great job. They should be able to show up in a timely fashion. I would LOVE to recommend Sun Power to my friends, but I can’t, I have been down three times in three years the last time was down for over three months. Let’s see how long it will take this time.

Dec 13, 2019

Hello Bill. I'm discouraged to hear of your negative experience. I would like to look into this matter further. At your earliest convenience, please send me a private message with your contact information and your address. I will have an executive service specialist reach out to you to discuss your concerns in details. We appreciate your time and value your feedback. Thank you,

Rich and Candace

December 11th, 2019 Palm Desert, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I live in the Palm Springs area of California. Our neighbors had Renova install a SunPower system on their house and recommended them Turned out to be our lucky day. Renova has been incredible from the install in November 2018 to the end of our first year and the Credit to our SoCal Edison net energy compensation. Thank You SunPower and Renova

Scarfone Tommaso

December 9th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ease of doing business with them. On time and on schedule

Lynnie hart

December 3rd, 2019 Wickenburg, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sales person was awesome and on time. Installer that came by was also very nice and knowledgeable about the next process

Patrick Przybyla

December 2nd, 2019 Apple Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Installation, product and customer service has been excellent

Juan Avila

December 2nd, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are pretty fast and efficient no question about that

Stephen

December 2nd, 2019 Stevenson Ranch, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional and caring always responsive

TJ

December 2nd, 2019 Lake Havasu City, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

High quality panels have been producing as quoted for over a year, the monitoring system installed not only shows production but also home usage, during the quoting and installation process I had a lot of questions and South Coast Solar was incredibly responsive and made extra trips to my home to connect the system in the way I requested.

The Kallok's

December 2nd, 2019 Lake Havasu City, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional and trustworthy company

John E

December 2nd, 2019 Lake Havasu City, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good service, the quality of the solar panels are excellent

Judy Tiptoes

December 2nd, 2019 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Equipment: consistent power generation; Employees: responsive to issues

Deanne Dawson

December 2nd, 2019 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and was of installation

Gary H

December 2nd, 2019 Lindale, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The performance, quality and choice of panels.

M Wilson

December 2nd, 2019 Lenexa, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm not saving quite as much as expected and temps not hitting the numbers we had planned.

Jan 07, 2020

Hello M Wilson, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. Once I have your account information, I can have an Executive Service Specialist reach out to you to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Thank you

John Roper

December 2nd, 2019 Columbiaville, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very pleased with the agent (Cobalt Power), their design, the installation and the product.

Tom Wimberly

December 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The system functions as designed without any problems. Any questions I have they respond quickly.

RC

December 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Prompt - enjoy the online portal to see how much power I am producing

Ming in Berkeley

December 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It meets my expectation of producing the amount of solar powder but I cannot measure its usage!

Ellen Fenichel

December 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to work with. Everything went as described. Haven't had first annual true-up yet so I don't know if production will be as expected.

Walnut

December 2nd, 2019 Port Angeles, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Knowledgeable people, quick installation and customer service

MamaJean

December 2nd, 2019 Orland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service and quality. Knowledgeable representatives. Clean efficient installation.

Mike D

December 2nd, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Did everything that they promise to do. We'll wait to see how the pedals work after 1 year to give them a 5. But so far everything is working out great.

Chewey

December 2nd, 2019 San Clemente, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service great product and consistent performance

Abby

December 2nd, 2019 Visalia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service and system. System is more expensive on paper but produces far more electricity the cheaper offers so you make money and have no out of pocket costs. It pays for itself then some.

nabo

December 2nd, 2019 Lake Elsinore, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Within 3 months of installation I have non-functioning panels and no timeline for fixing this

Paul F.

November 25th, 2019 Friant, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great product with equally good customer support

Santaluz Homeowner

November 25th, 2019 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The entire crew that we worked with were professional and very helpful. Out deliverables were done on time and the various steps involved we explained along the way.

Steve & Cyndi

November 25th, 2019 Valencia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent product and great service. installtion went very well.

SG

November 25th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The SunPower solar panels are working beautifully.

Pat of North Cape May NJ

November 25th, 2019 Cottonwood, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been 100% as they promised. I've had two issues over the past year, and they fixed/responded right away. I daily/monthly/yearly monitor the output (I am obsessed with spreadsheets) and every number is as promised or slightly better!

Bob B

November 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Relatively new, but so far so good. We received our first negative bill from APS

Steven Salansky

November 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Unable to reach a Sunpower representative to answer some questions.

DON

November 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

good product and great service did what they said and followed thru that the whole experience was good

Robert Sica

November 25th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After the system was up and running they didn't give any updates on how the system was preforming

Greg

November 25th, 2019 Shingle Springs, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy and efficient process. No surprises

David King

November 25th, 2019 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Longevity of the panels, software interface

Janice Napier

November 25th, 2019 Pleasanton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quality, warranty, customer service , communication

Tito Candelaria

November 25th, 2019 Pleasanton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ken W, made our solar buying experience 'painless' we did most our communication via email as my wife and I our very busy. We had to meet twice. We have had our solar for over a year now and have saved ( according to our online dashboard) over $5,000 dollars. Our solar is running / operating 100% and would highly recommend Renova Solar to anyone interested in solar.

Richard

November 25th, 2019 Los Banos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Panels seem to work good, the app for the phone doesn't work to good. One day it works and other day nothing.