SunPower

verified

SunPower

verified
SunPower excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment

Founded in 1992, SunPower is a solar company that prides itself on delivering reliable energy and long-term peace of mind for homeowners and businesses. The company is a pioneer in the industry and currently holds more than 750 patents for solar technology.

Known for manufacturing top quality, high efficiency solar panels that generate more power than conventional solar technologies and have a uniquely attractive, all-black appearance for itself and many other players in the industry, SunPower offers a few different options to help both residential and commercial consumers get started with renewable energy, but outsources most, if not all, of its projects to third-party solar installers.

Keep reading to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SunPower, and check out SunPower reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available
  • High Efficiency Panels
  • Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production
  • Attractive Appearance
  • Compatible With Battery Storage
  • Online Monitoring
  • Lengthy Warranties

Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available

SunPower offers three different payment options for customers to choose from: solar leasing, purchasing with cash, and financing with a loan.

With the lease option, SunPower Capital owns the system and the customer rents the system from the company, requiring monthly payments. The lease comes with a 20-year performance guarantee, as well as easy options in case the customer needs to transfer the lease.

SunPower also offers outright purchase and financing options for customers interested in the tax credits and other incentives that come along with solar power ownership. Loan terms for solar systems typically range from 5 to 20 years and do not have any prepayment penalties attached.

The cost of a SunPower solar system ultimately depends on several factors, including current energy usage, available amount of unshaded roof space, the local utility’s net metering policy, and other factors. The easiest way to figure out exactly how much solar will cost you is to obtain a free quote from SunPower.

High Efficiency Panels

SunPower is on the cutting edge of solar technology and excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment, so customers can be confident that they will have high quality products on their homes.

In fact, SunPower makes the highest efficiency solar panels you can buy for your roof in today's market, and the company's solar cells are made of anti-reflective glass and coated with anti-reflective coating to ensure that they capture as much sunlight as possible.

Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production

SunPower's X-Series solar panels excel in terms of power generation and deliver 44 percent more energy per watt than competitive products. This means that SunPower can provide more clean power for its customers' homes with fewer solar panels.

SunPower panels also boast 75 percent more energy per watt than conventional solar panels, meaning that an investment in a SunPower system will ultimately pay off more in the long run.

Additonally, SunPower panels maintain their energy production much better than conventional panels in partly-shaded conditions, making them a better rooftop solar option for customers who live in a cloudy region or a relatively shaded area.

Attractive Appearance

In addition to being highly efficient, SunPower's panels are uniquely attractive and aesthetically pleasing. While many other companies in the solar industry offer traditional blue photovoltaic panels, SunPower's panels are all black, which helps them to blend in better with the rooftop on many houses.

Compatible With Battery Storage

SunPower's panels are compatible with the Freedom CPAP Battery produced by Battery Power Solutions. When a SunPower module is installed along with this battery, customers will still have access to electricity in the event of a power outage.

Online Monitoring

Online monitoring is extremely important for customers who want to see what the panels on their roof are producing and ensure that everything is up to par.

SunPower offers a helpful, convenient app for customers to do just that. The app provides important system information such as power output, savings, energy usage over time, and environmental effects.

There is also a consumption monitoring kit that provides more information than the app for customers who would like a more in-depth way to monitor their system. The consumption monitoring kit is installed by the dealer, but may not be compatible with all homes.

Lengthy Warranties

SunPower offers multiple warranties to protect its customers' solar energy systems, including a 25-year product warranty, which covers the equipment itself, and a 25-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation. The clean energy company also offers a 25-year performance warranty, which covers the customer in the event that their solar modules underperform in terms of electricity production and output.

The Bad

• No PPAs for Non-Commerical Buyers
  • Few In-House Installations
  • Customer Service Complaints

No PPAs for Non-Commercial Buyers

Many customers may be interested in obtaining a SunPower module through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) because this payment method typically includes some kind of $0 down option, which eliminates a barrier to entry for them to go solar.

Unfortunately, SunPower only offers PPAs to commercial customers, so consumers who are interested in a PPA for their home solar system will not have much luck with this company.

Few In-House Installations

SunPower is performing installations itself in select areas of California; however, SunPower panels are available in 41 states, excluding the following, through a network of dealers:

• Alaska
  • Iowa
  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

The dealer you choose will end up being your installer and customer care center for the life of the solar PV panels, which creates a bit of confusion as to who should be contacted (the dealer or SunPower) in the event that any issues occur.

Customer Service Complaints

Many users on our site have provided negative feedback in regards to SunPower's customer service.

Common complaints include difficulty to reach a representative, company failure to return phone calls, slow response time, and inability to resolve issues.

The Bottom Line

SunPower offers a number of payment options, some of the most efficient solar panels in the industry, online monitoring for its customers, and a lengthy workmanship and product warranty.

However, the company does not offer PPAs to residential customers and outsources most of its installations, making it confusing for customers to know who to contact if there is an issue.

3.6

Richie
December 18th, 2018 Rio Vista, CA DETAILS

First of all, I am not typically a reviewer. I ALWAYS give people the benefit of the doubt, and when I have a slightly poor experience, I just shrug it off. But this has been an EXTREMELY special case. When it started, I was very happy. My local dealer was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, install was timely and very clean. First year went FAIRLY smooth, as I only needed the installer to come fix the system 2-3 times. From the wi-fi connection going out to the inverter faulting. Nothing major. Second year, 5 or so major repair calls. Several panels replaced, two inverters replaced. Again, local installer was great. Sunpower Corp. was NOT. They were gracious enough to NOT credit the monthly lease payment, but to POSTPONE them to the end of the term. Okay fine. Then the system under produced. My true up bill was (from memory) close to $600, Sunpower gave us just under 400 to help. Okay, fine. This is in July, 5-6 calls and complaints later by myself and the local rep, finally get the refund check in NOVEMBER. Horrible experience. Third year, system was down for months throughout the year. They replaced EVERY PANEL ON MY ROOF, replaced another inverter, replaced the signalling unit, and had to come reset and repair faulted inverters several times. They sent out specialists from Sunpower Corp to help identify the problems and get them fixed. They POSTPONE my payments for 3 months, and tell me we will review at end of 3 months whether or not system has been repaired. 3 months go by, still not fixed, billing starts up again. They charge me for another couple of months (several complaints) before they finally re-start postponing payment withdrawals. FINALLY, system seems to be working (July 2018), but now I am moving out of town. Selling the home and transferring the lease to new buyer while payments are still suspended. I then receive my new true up bill (I believe close to $1,000) and SUNPOWER offers me somewhere between $300-400. My local dealer is so upset with Sunpower, he pays me the difference out of his own pocket. Local dealer was seriously fantastic through all this. Then, when I am ready to sign closing documents for home sale, Sunpower is demanding we pay the last two months "unpaid balance" for while payments were suspended. So that money automatically came out of my profit on the sale of the home as part of closing costs. Wow. Now...Fast forward to December...We have been out of our solar lease since July, and still have not received our refund for the lack of production. Now they are saying that they ACCIDENTLY sent our refund to the new home owners, and are working on getting us the money. Should hear back in TWO MORE WEEKS. They did send us a $150 gift card earlier this year as a "sorry for the trouble" gift, but that doesn't even come close to making it right in my opinion. I would not let anyone I care about buy Sunpower products. No exaggeration, I have never had worse service than this from any company ever. Trust me, these are the highlights. This doesn't even touch on how horrible the phone conversations were or the lead times for supervisor responses to my complaints. If it had not been for my local company working so hard on my behalf, I probably would have looked for a lawyer to get their crap off my roof.

Dec 19, 2018

Hello Richie, I've escalated your case to our VP of Customer Service and will make sure the rest of our leadership team is aware of these issues. Hopefully they've reached out to you by now but if not, please email me at [email protected]

Dave
December 11th, 2018 Old Bridge, NJ DETAILS

Unfortunately, we have been dealing with SunPower for over a year. The company that installed our solar panels 5 years ago was bought out by SunPower. We lease our panels, which I would not recommend to anyone. At the time we thought it was a good deal but later learned it was a huge mistake. Our house faces almost due South, almost perfect conditions for solar. The panels themselves, have performed only at 84% capacity of the minimum guaranteed. Our lease is for 20 years with an early buy out for 2019. Since the panels have not produced any where near what the guarntee was we have been trying to deal with customer service to renegotiate the early buy out amount. It has been 3 months and we still are getting the run around. Promises of people calling you back have gone unanswered, the customer service department does not even have answers that are outside their script. I have been waiting since March for a tech to come back to fix our communication box since it stopped working. The tech that was supposed to come was dispatched to the wrong state. I very rarely give a neagative review of a company but I would recommend anyone to run in the opposite direction than to deal with SunPower. If anything goes wrong or if you have any questions it will take MONTHS before you get an answer. The worst customer service I have ever experienced. I never thought it was so hard for a company to take my money. If there was a no star rating I would have chosen that one. Not worth the hassle, especially since there are a ton of other companies that will work with you and want your business.

Dec 12, 2018

Dave, We are sorry to hear that you've had these issues with your SunPower system, and we'd like the opportunity to help you resolve it. I'll send you a private message so we can research your case.

Jim
December 7th, 2018 Newport Beach, CA DETAILS

The quality of their products, the service of the installers timely delivery of product

Dec 12, 2018

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Jim!

December 7th, 2018 Englewood, CO DETAILS

Because we moved from there 2 1/2 years ago and have contacted them multiple times to stop sending us the emails and information, It's none of our business but nothing changes and obviously we got your survey.

Dec 10, 2018

Hello, we're sorry for the problems you've encountered. Please send us a private message with your contact information so that we may address your concern.

Bob
December 7th, 2018 Kailua-Kona, HI DETAILS

Everything is working smoothly. But I would like to add some more panels to my system.

Dec 12, 2018

Glad you like your system, Bob. If you'd like to find a SunPower dealer in your area to add more panels, here's a link to a handy zip code locator: https://us.sunpower.com/dealers-installers/find-dealer-installer/

Paul
December 7th, 2018 La Quinta, CA DETAILS

Met all my expectations for a solar system. The system has performed perfectly for the last 5 years.

Thank you, Paul!

Ralph Takakjian
December 7th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

The local rep did a poor job of assesing my needs. have a pool not a spa,2 freezer s,two refrigs etc etc etc

Dec 12, 2018

Hi Ralph, Sorry to hear that your system wasn't initially installed as promised. I see from our files that we expanded the size of it to meet your needs. If it's still not performing up to our performance guarantee, certainly please give us a call so we can help you with this.

Cynthia
December 7th, 2018 Stevenson Ranch, CA DETAILS

Great customer service. Convenient use of the monitoring system

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Cynthia.

Randy Redmond
December 7th, 2018 Sierra Vista, AZ DETAILS

Lack of service. It has been over a month and only have an appt. No repair.

Dec 10, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please expect a call from an esclation specialist.

terrible
December 7th, 2018 Mira Loma, CA DETAILS

you have not ever come to clean the panels as you said you would once a year... guess how many years we have had them?

Dec 10, 2018

Hello, when you have a moment can you please send a private message with your contact information? Once we have that we will have an escalation specialist reach out to you.

no name
December 7th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS

Poor customer service. No communication when their software stopped working.

Dec 10, 2018

Hello, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details.

kamaaina
December 7th, 2018 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

better grade panels uninterrupted by shaddows

Thanks for the review!

Don
December 7th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

My SunPower solar panels have been flawless since 2014.

Dec 12, 2018

That's great to hear, Don. With our 25-year Power and Performance Warranty, you have many more years of clean energy to come.

RJF
December 7th, 2018 Ronkonkoma, NY DETAILS

Haven''t had any problems and the keep the website up to date.

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for your feedback, RJF!

Karen L Wright
December 11th, 2018 American Canyon, CA DETAILS

Very satisfied until system stopped generating the power it should. Took forever to get someone to fix it and the person who called & said she would for on compensation refused to return calls or e-mails. Jermaine, who is supposedly a supervisor is the worst ever. I have never received such horrible customer service and when I was finally able to talk to her she advised she had been very busy. Really, to busy to return a phone call or e-mail for over a month. Unbelievable. I would never recommend Sunpower to anyone after this treatment and experience. I can't even reach someone to file an official complaint. At this time, it is now a legal matter.

Dec 12, 2018

Hello Karen, I see that we've assigned you a new case manager, Gabe, to help you get this resolved. Let me know if you haven't heard from him by tomorrow. You can email me at [email protected]

Noreen Hulteen
December 11th, 2018 Ashland, OR DETAILS

Thank you SunPower for an easy fulfillment of a dream. Working with you was so easy. If everyone does a little, it will be, cumulatively, be a lot. Since installing 6 solar panels on our roof, we have saved over 4 tons of CO2 for going into the air from fossil fuel-generated power. We don't have to buy more than about $5 of power from the grid each month, but it isn't about the money. It is about giving meaningful work to American workers. it is about moving the country (and the world) to renewable energy. O.K., O.K., I admit it is also about feeling totally self-righteous because we did something right for the earth.

Dec 12, 2018

Hi Noreen, Thank you for helping to change how our world is powered!

Daniel Duffy
December 11th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

We were extremely disappointed to find that after spending $50K on solar, SunPower initially did NOT deliver the all black panels that you show in all your ads. Instead, you delivered newer, slightly more efficient panels, with a white grid, that do not have the black, clean look of what you show in almost 100% of your marketing and advertising. The local dealer was helpful in swapping them out but the entire situation never should have happened. SunPower (corp - not your local dealers) is not being honest in it's advertising when you show one thing and deliver another panel that looks not as clean. If the newer panels are your new standard, then THAT is what you need to show in all your advertising. Additionally, we'd asked for a system that would get us to net $0 but we're still paying PG&E $100/mo and an annual payment of $1200 on top of that. To get the system properly sized, we'd need to spend another $3K to buy 2 more panels (and no, not just to compensate for the change in 6 panels which are slightly less efficient). Frustrating.

Dec 12, 2018

Hello Daniel, I see that we've assigned a case manager and given your case our highest resolution priority. Please email me at [email protected] if you haven't heard from the team yet, and I'll make sure someone gets in touch with you as soon as possible.

Ken Overman
December 11th, 2018 Cottonwood, CA DETAILS

My SunPower has been installed for 10 Months now, and has been working wonderfully! I am so pleased with the design and its great knowing that I have the top of the line product, with the greatest warranty on my roof!

Thank you, Ken!

ANTONY & LYNDA WILKIE
December 11th, 2018 Sun City, AZ DETAILS

I received an email from Solar tops on 11/8 saying there was a problem with my system. I responded immediately by speaking to a rep while standing outside by my system. It was determined that a service had to visit. One did visit and pulled an inverter. It is now almost 4 weeks and still no new inverter. Today will be the 4th scheduled visit (other 3 were cancelled by Solar Topps for a variety of reasons). I hope that we will finally be up and running. In the meantime, we have not generated electricity; What can you do about this loss of revenue?

Dec 12, 2018

Hello, I will have a case created with our customer service department, and someone will get in touch with you to answer your questions and help you get this resolved as soon as possible.

MeredithR
November 29th, 2018 El Dorado Hills, CA DETAILS

HORRIBLE customer service! We inherited a lease after purchasing a home and were given three options: 1) Purchase the lease for $81k which is way more than we would pay for the remaining 18.5 year lease 2) Take over the lease as is without the ability to re-negotiate 3) Send the previous homeowners into collections. Are you kidding me?! Who would do this? One month later another representative tells us we could have re-negotiated the lease when we purchased the home. How nice to find this out after the fact. Three months and several calls later, we are STILL waiting for a promised return call from management. What a joke! There is no way I can deal with this company for another two decades. I just want the panels off my roof and to be done with SunPower.

Dec 06, 2018

We apologize for the experience you had with us. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. Thank you.

Cynthia S
November 20th, 2018 Discovery Bay, CA DETAILS

SunPower is GREAT! They have the world’s most powerful solar panel which enabled us to have a zero electric bill. I also had the peace of mind of knowing that more people in this country select SunPower than any other panel.

Jan 02, 2019

Thank you, Cynthia, we're so glad you're saving money with your solar system.

Manuela
November 20th, 2018 Sun City, CA DETAILS

Terrible customer service . Our Solar( least) doesn’t work since September 26 and to this day I did not got a call back from a responsible person . I am made because Edison is charching us Tier 3 for our electricity and I don’t know how long we have to wait for Sun Power to fix it. Really disappointed , would not recommend this company .

Nov 26, 2018

Hi Manuela, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details.

M B
November 15th, 2018 Palm Desert, CA DETAILS

Total rip off. Terrible service. My inverter is shot a few months after warranty is up. Do not use sunpower. We will be going with another company to replace. Update* I replied with contact info. Still have not heard anything from sunpower. Was that just an auto response to pretend like you are attempting to fixing the problem?

Oct 30, 2018

• Hi M B, I apologize for the experience you've had with us. I would love the opportunity to restore your confidence in SunPower. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details.

Laura
November 13th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

My inverter went out while we were away for 2 months and I have tried for 2 days to reach someone to come out to service it. No one answers the phone and I have emailed with no response. Still waiting! Surprising that a company this large has no concern for urgency when it comes to you paying for electric that they promised. When you ask for corporate phone numbers you are told they have none. By the way your talking to the Philippines. Where are they hiding?? We were told that it could take 7-10 days for even a response to schedule an appointment. In the mean time my meter just keeps going around billing me. I have lost all the credit I had for the last 5 years! Bet you they would hop to it if it was there's! Bad service for maintenance!

Nov 04, 2018

Hello Laura, Sorry to hear this happened. We'd like to help you get this resolved. I'll send you a private message to get your contact information.

Kim P
November 7th, 2018 Pueblo, CO DETAILS

My parents got duped into a lease with this company a couple of years Ago. They have since passed away and there is no stipulation in the lease in the event of death so I am stuck with this dilemma to pay $32000 or foreclose on house and let bank have it. I have not been able to sell house as no one wants to take over lease or pay more for the house. My parents paid $160 a month and still got an electric bill. The going market rate to buy and then install panels is $15000 to $20000. I know people like the no money down but a 20 year lease will cost $40000. I also found out this company is on the brink of bankruptcy. I would make them an offer but doubt they will accept it If i even get a hold of someone so neither one of us gets anything. For a veteran owned company you would think they would have more integrity.

Nov 09, 2018

Hello Kim, I would like to speak with you more in dept regarding your issues. Please send me a private message with your contact details and i will reach out to you to address your concerns. Thank you!

Nov 09, 2018

Michael Gentile
November 6th, 2018 Coventry, CT DETAILS

I inherited a lease from a SunPower and they are such a terrible company they are making me regret buying the house. I have had over a dozen calls in the last three months to their support and received no help. I am being passed around until I go away. However, once my bill due, they were right on top of that! Called me right away to get their money. Do my panels work? I have no idea, I've lived in the house for three months and they have never sent any technical assistance. I had to sign transfer documents 4 times because they kept losing them. I don't say this lightly, they are worse than Comcast and Verizon.

Nov 06, 2018

Hello Michael, We're sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with our service. We understand your frustration, and we'd like a chance to make it right. I'll have your case supervisor get in touch with you to get this resolved.

Payidarol
October 23rd, 2018 Paterson, NJ DETAILS

If I can give them 0 stars I would. I will be in contact with my attorney. They are a fraud company so STAY FAR AWAY from them. I’ve been calling my sales guy, the customer service number. Absolutely no one is helping. They promised a 500$ sign up bonus. Yeah never got it. I was told I would only pay a fixed rate and no PS&G bill. I keep getting electricity bills from them along with sun power as well. No one is helping to solve this issue. So now instead of one fixed rate I pay that along with my PS&G electricity bill. Again DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY.

Oct 25, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you've had trouble getting these issues resolved. We'll reach out to you privately so we can get your contact information and assist you.

Karin Gentry
October 17th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

I have been a Sunpower customer for the past 3 years.My system failed 6 weeks ago , I have lost production this entire time and CANNOT get anyone at Sunpower to take the appropriate action. The first E-mail was never answered. On a subsequent call I was promised a work order...nothing happened. The third attempt got me some technical assistance to re boot system , which did not solve any problems. A work order supposedly is open ...no follow up. Yesterday I called and asked for a supervisor, none of them were available. The girl on the phone, poorly speaking English ,finally gave me a Tel # for the outsource repair company. I called them and only got a voicemail. I am on the hook to pay my monthly lease , loose valuable production and get ABSOLUTELY no customer service whatsoever. I work and don't have time to chase down incompetent , non caring service providers.

Oct 25, 2018

Karin, We are sorry to hear you've had trouble getting help from us with your system. We appreciate it that you've been a SunPower customer for three years, and we will help you get this resolved. I've reached out to our locally based customer service supervisor team and asked them to get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Edward C Frazier
October 12th, 2018 Arlington, TX DETAILS

I purchased a SunPower system for BizTalkRadio. We are solar powered radio network. I production often exceeds our usage. I can tell you that Solar really works in a business environment. The accelerated depreciation helped us achieve payback in a short time frame. Our flat roof gave us a very efficient layout. If you are going solar in your business you won't be disappointed with SunPower. Come by our shop and check it out.

Nov 06, 2018

Thank you, Edward, for choosing SunPower. Many people don't realize solar can work well on a flat roof, so thanks for sharing that detail about your project!

Bob Yang
October 12th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

Very happy with Sunpower solar panels and the installation by Freedom Solar. Our entire electricity bill for the first full 12 months with solar panels was only $199...that's for the entire year, not monthly. And we live in Texas! In a 3700 square foot two story house. Both Sunpower and Freedom Solar have been very responsive to any minor issues and updates to the system. Couldn't be happier and highly recommend both companies!

Nov 06, 2018

Thank you, Bob, for sharing your solar story. That's great that your electric bill in hot, sunny Texas is so low! Thanks for choosing SunPower.

Chris F.
October 10th, 2018 West Covina, CA DETAILS

We entered into a lease with Sunpower. We now know that it was a huge mistake. We are paying Sunpower $190 a month. (rounded off). This year we an end of year had a bill from Edison of $1100... We have a 1200 sq. foot house . I am going to have my attorney look into a way to break this lease so I can go with another company that does indeed lower my costs . This is not it . Calling them has been a total waste of time.

Oct 02, 2018

Hello Chris, Thank you for this feedback. If you'd like us to look into this issue for you and to ensure your system is producing what it's supposed to, please send us a private message with your account details or email me at [email protected]

Thom Robb
October 9th, 2018 DETAILS

The new X22 panels were worth the wait. With the OEM Enphase Energy IQ7X microinverter, SunPower now achieves a 3% CEC efficiency boost. They are clearly the best panels on the market at 22.2% panel efficiency.

Nov 06, 2018

Thanks Thom! We agree: Our 22%+ world record efficiency panels are the best way to make the most energy you can over time!

Stephen Wilder
October 8th, 2018 DETAILS

My panels were installed in November of 2015. I was told that they were top-of-the-line. After all was installed, it was inspected and it turned out that all the electrical panels/inverter in the basement had to be moved because they were originally installed under a drain pipe. I have since had periodic problems with the inverter, losing several weeks of power production over the years. I have been promised that it would be fixed, but it hasn't. I have been promised compensation for the lost days of production, but I haven't received anything. Third, my production has fallen off considerably. I was told that production decreases by about 1% per year up to a max of 10%, but my production has fallen off way more than than projected. The people I have dealt with have been very nice, but their failure to follow through it completely frustrating. I would not recommend this company

Oct 09, 2018

Hi Stephen, We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Hillary

BRUCE BIANCO
October 8th, 2018 DETAILS

WORST COMPANY ALL PHONE CALLS SENT TO THE PHILIPPINES DO NOT RETURN CALLS PRODUCT DOES NOT PUT OUT AS PROMISED WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY DO NOTHING TO RESOLVE PROBLEMS

Oct 09, 2018

Hi Bruce, We're sorry to hear that your expectations are not being met. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns in detail and provide additional assistance. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Best regards, Hillary

David Weiss
October 5th, 2018 Honolulu, HI

When I check the Sunpower reports on how much electricity my PV system is generating, it never matches up with the readings on my inverters. Neither of those matches up with the HECO billing report. Nobody seems able to explain the discrepancies.

Oct 09, 2018

Hi David, Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. I am discouraged to hear of your negative experience. I will have one of our Executive Escalation Specialists reach out to you to better understand your concerns and work towards a positive resolution. Best regards, Hillary

Jacob Halsdorfer
October 4th, 2018 Peoria, AZ DETAILS

I had SunPower in stall panels on my roof thru Harmon electric. to say that I am sorry that I did it would be an understatement. I have had nothing but trouble with the system since it was install in May. I have had to call for service 5 time or once a month and have lost the ability to generator power on two occasions. with has cost me over 100 dollars in electric payments .

Oct 09, 2018

Hi Jacob, We apologize for the experience you had with us. We'd really like to look into this further. Please expect a call from an Executive Support Specialist to discuss your concerns and provide assistance. Best regards, Hillary

DALE SANTEE
October 1st, 2018 Chula Vista, CA DETAILS

I selected SunPower because their panels were the highest rated for electric generation. I've had the system since September 2009. I've experienced no problems with the system to date. I didn't pay an electric bill until the last couple years (since installation, the lowest electric rates have almost doubled and the utility added grid charges). Even with that the yearly bill has been much less than what I used to pay in one month.

Nov 06, 2018

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Dale!

Joan Gunning
September 28th, 2018 Newbury Park, CA DETAILS

SunPower workmanship gets a “F” grade, AGAIN. Recently SunPower came out to replace all the microinverters that were failing one by one – our system is less than 2 years old. After they completed the work, we inspected the roof for damage (SunPower has damaged our roof in the past). We were shocked to discover footprints all over our 21 panels – 48 footprints to be specific! The way the panels are laid out on our roof, there was no need to ever walk on them. Walking on panels can cause microcracks in the solar cells, reducing panel performance, which will continue to worsen over time. The microcrack problem is a known issue that is even documented on SunPower websites and SunPower Facebook pages. Here is a quote from SunPower “We do not recommend that anyone walk on the panels because it can damage the cells, which would damage performance”. After discovering our panels had been thoroughly walked on by the SunPower crew, we called both the SunPower corporate and SunPower regional offices a week ago. However we were only able to leave voicemails since no one answers the phone at either location. No one has returned our calls. Our previous experiences with SunPower: Initial installation – damage to the roof and the roof leaked at the panel mounting brackets. SunPower did then come and remove the panels while the roof was fixed, and then SunPower reinstalled the panels. Reinstallation of panels – SunPower failed to connect 2 of the 21 panels. On our smart phone SunPower application, we kept getting error messages concerning slow data reporting. We kept contacting SunPower about it. After FIVE months SunPower figured out that 2 panels were not reporting, not connected, and therefore producing no power for 5 months. Data reporting issues resume – Again we noticed this on our smart phone application and informed SunPower. Eventually they diagnosed that the microinverters were failing, which was causing production loss. 1 1/2 months after we notified SunPower of the issue, they replaced all the microinverters and walked all over the panels. Apparently diagnosing microcracks on installed panels is not a simple thing, and production loss from microcracks will be small at first, but increase over time. So far since SunPower walked on our panels, production on our panels is down 6% over the previous year time period. While it is possible that this weather related, we think it is more probable that this is from 48 footprints of damage.

Sep 28, 2018

Joan, We're are very sorry to hear about this issue with your panels, and we want to make it right. I've sent your comments to our customer service supervisor, and they will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Charles Peraro
September 28th, 2018 Waianae, HI DETAILS

Sirs, I installed my SunPower 10-panel system in December 2010 and it has produced power continuously and steadily since that time. What has failed at least three times is the reporting system that lets me know how much power the system is producing. There is no alert or email reporting system (that I am aware of) that lets the customer know when this outage occurs other than going to the Sunpower Dashboard online and seeing that the reporting system is faulty. I do not view the dashboard on a frequent basis, so it can be months before I discover that the reporting system has failed. I would like to receive a timely email or text saying that the reporting system has failed. The second problem (that I am currently addressing with Revolusun), is that my power delivered to Hawaiian Electric (HECO) seems to have dropped in the last two months. My power delivery to HECO has been consistent and steady since system installation at the above date. I put in a trouble call to Revolusun on 9/21/18 and did not receive a return call. I then placed a follow-up call on 9/27/18 but also have not received a return call to assist me in troubleshooting the problem. Revolusun/SunPower should support its product a bit better. Thank you.

Sep 28, 2018

Greetings, Charles, Thank you for your review. I'm glad that overall you're happy with your SunPower system but sorry to hear you've had trouble reaching your dealer to resolve this issue. I emailed them today to share this feedback and hopefully you can get everything taken care of soon.

mason clark
September 27th, 2018 Odessa, FL DETAILS

main sales person keep stalling with what trees had to be cut my main computer lost communication with system and have not been able to track for years no one seems to be able to fix

Sep 28, 2018

Hi Mason, Thank you for your review. We'd love to be able to resolve your system communication issue. Please email me your address and contact information, [email protected], so we can have someone assist you. Thank you!

Kenneth Eberly
September 27th, 2018 Ocala, FL DETAILS

I have had my SunPower system for 8 years and have been totally satisfied. I have never had a problem with the system operating correctly. The only issue has been with the reporting system but each and every time there has been an issue SunPower has corrected the situation. I would highly recommend SunPower when considering a solar system.

Sep 28, 2018

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Kenneth!

Mariah39
September 27th, 2018 Castaic, CA DETAILS

HORRIBLE- you end up paying double. ABSOLUTELY NO energy produced and NO reimbursement when the system fails. Technical support is frm a 3rd party that don't fix the problem. Customer service is ONLY LIP SERVICE from a 3rd world country giving you a turn around time of 1 week when they really don't know when technicians will actually be there 2 fix your faulty generator. To those who are considering this company, dont risk the headaches. For those like me who is living the nightmare hire a good contract lawyer.

Sep 28, 2018

Mariah, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. Please email your contact information to me at [email protected] so I can have a supervisor look into this for you.

Daniela
September 25th, 2018 Orange, CT DETAILS

Do not go with this company, they have a bad support service, they give you an appointment in 2-3 weeks with a technician. You need to call several times to get to Mike. Mike is the only one scheduling and he is not in the office all the time. Please note that their schedule is 8:00 am -4:30pm which is very difficult for working families.

Shannon Toohey Dean
September 20th, 2018 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

We live in Southern California and signed a lease with SunPower through a local installation company. We liked our installation company, but since installation 3 years ago, our system has been down 5-6 times (and even though the system is connected to the internet it does NOT notify you or them when it is down, so several times it had already been down for a week when my husband happened to be in the garage and notice there was an error message). It has been down over 10% of the time that it has been on our roof. While initially our local company/installation company handled our repairs, it has broken so many times (including replacing the inverter twice and replacing all the panels), that they say they can no longer handle our repairs and we are now being referred to the parent company, SunPower. Unfortunately, SunPower is unresponsive and has zero customer service. Our system most recently has been down for over 30 days, we have called multiple times and been told we are on their "high priority list." Heaven help those not on the high priority list, because even that took 3 weeks to get a team out to even look at it. It has been 10 days since then and we still had not heard anything from SunPower. We are currently paying $160/month for a solar system that doesn't work, on top of exorbitant SDG&E prices because our solar system is down in the middle of summer. We finally got a call back after multiple calls and emails over 10 days, just to be told they still haven't received a report from the technicians, they don't know what the problem is and they don't have an ETA to fix it. They said "maybe" 2-4 weeks to finalize the report and determine the issue and then they can start planning a repair - this would mean our system will be down for 6-8 weeks by the time they even TRY to fix it. The lease provides a guarantee that SunPower will reimburse for any underproduction at the end of the year. It sounded like a great guarantee when we signed the lease. Here's the catch: they reimburse at the lowest cost of electricity (tier 1 currently $0.14 per kW) and when your solar panels are not working or are significantly underproducing the issue is not the tier 1 charges, but the tier 3 charges (currently $0.55 per kW). With this summer having heat in the 100s and our panels out we have had two $500-$1000 electric bills that would have been significantly lower had our panels been producing and the charges had stayed in tier 1 and tier 2 levels. The $200-300 we will get in exchange at tier 1 rates does not really make up for the underproduction. SunPower should install products that properly work and maintain them so they do not need to utilize the guarantee or should reimburse at the tier 3 levels. I do not recommend signing a lease with SunPower. They do not stand behind their product, they refuse to make repairs on the system we are paying to lease. Find a different solar leasing company that stands behind their product. UPDATE 9/19/18: They finally fixed our system - it was down for almost 2 months before they fixed it. Given the number of breakdowns, two inverter replacements and replacement of all the panels, we requested a provision added to the lease regarding expectations on timeline for repairs and possible termination of lease if they do not meet these expectations (not an unreasonable request given our experience with them). They refused stating "there is no provision in your lease to terminate due to equipment failure...SunPower will not provide any further consideration relative to termination of your lease" So just FYI thats how much they stand behind their products.

Nov 06, 2018

Shannon, We're very sorry you experienced these issues with your system but I am glad to see that this was repaired in September. I'll reach out to you via email to see if you need anything further.

Seth H
September 6th, 2018 Menlo Park, CA DETAILS

We have had a great experience with our SunPower system which was installed in 2011. It’s over produced the guaranteed production amount each of the seven years its been on our roof and saved our family over $12,400 in this time. Super happy with our investment.

Nov 06, 2018

Thanks, Seth, for choosing SunPower!

Ronald Summers
August 30th, 2018 El Centro, CA DETAILS

When I first started with Sun Power some of my panels were not hooked up. After three month they got them hooked up to deliver power to me. A circuit breaker pops everytime my unit reaches 8KW. I have to reset it so I called them. They told me someone would call me in 5 to 10 days. Still no one called me. I called them back and they told me they would get right on it. Three days has passed and still no one called. I spent an hour on the phone trying to reach them. They have to contract some other solar company to repair my system. Do anyone know how to get from under there contract for the type of service they are providing?

Aug 30, 2018

Hi Ronald, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered. I will contact you within 24 hrs. to help address this issue. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Best regards, Jeremy

Tim Town
August 21st, 2018 Buckeye, AZ DETAILS

Horrible company, never respond to help issues. have a problem good luck getting them to help you. Paying APS more know that I have solar panels, don't quite understand how that works. I would not recommend them or Titan solar who installed them to my worst enemy!!!!

Aug 21, 2018

Tim, I'm sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with SunPower. Please send a private message with your address, name on your account and a case number if you have one, so we can help you resolve this.

Lesbians reyes
August 8th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

The worst company ever. The panels stopped working from October 2016 through march of 2017. I was told that they keep back up records through the wifi system that was installed, but it couldn't get resolved until September. That there was no way around it. I was charged by pg&e $1,500. When I called back on September, I was told that they had no records of my multiple calls. April of 2018 I get a 48 hr pg&e bill of $2,500. Sunpower customer service can't tell me anything they don't know what's wrong. I never paid that much in pg&e without solar panels. So what's the whole point of having them. I'm paying more pg&e than I did before sunpower, and I'm paying sunpower monthly too. A waist of money. Customer service reps are not properly trained to help customers. HORRIBLE COMPANY. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!

Aug 10, 2018

Hi Lesbians, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your system is not meeting your expectations and of your experience with our Customer Service department. We would like to review this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. Thank you.

Robert
August 2nd, 2018 Washington, MI DETAILS

Junk, absolutely and simply. Avoid this company at all costs. There microinverters fail at an unbelievable rate and I believe they are in the 3rd generation of supplying this horrible equipment. After you pay continually for repairs it ends up costing you to have solar, not to mention the dramatic outlay. To sum it up, SunPower is a company not ready for prime time. Have read reports the microinverters come from China and judging from my failure rate I would not be surprised!

Jul 30, 2018

Hi Robert, thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. -Thank you.

Stacey Petty
August 1st, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

SunPower is VERY difficult to reach. You can stay on hold for over 30 minutes if you ever need to speak to someone. When my solar was down for nearly a year, SunPower first said they had no replacement inverter (8 months or so) then they installed one that was too large for my system so it would shut down for hours or days (4 months or so). Then, when they agreed to minimally compensate me for the lost power generation, they offered only $726 for the YEAR of lost power generation. They sent nothing. When I continued to call them every couple weeks, they said they could only send $681. They sent nothing. I've been calling them every couple of weeks OR MORE for almost 6 months trying to get some compensation for my loss of power production. This is not customer service. They offer only customer frustration! I'm currently on hold with them and have been waiting 30 minutes already.

Aug 03, 2018

Hello Stacey, I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble getting this issue resolved. If you're still in need of assistance, please email your case number, if you have it, and your address and phone number, to [email protected]