SunPower

verified

SunPower

verified
SunPower excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment

Founded in 1992, SunPower is a solar company that prides itself on delivering reliable energy and long-term peace of mind for homeowners and businesses. The company is a pioneer in the industry and currently holds more than 750 patents for solar technology.

Known for manufacturing top quality, high efficiency solar panels that generate more power than conventional solar technologies and have a uniquely attractive, all-black appearance for itself and many other players in the industry, SunPower offers a few different options to help both residential and commercial consumers get started with renewable energy, but outsources most, if not all, of its projects to third-party solar installers.

Keep reading to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SunPower, and check out SunPower reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity Logo Sungevity ›

8.8

Overall
Score

#2 Sunrun Logo Sunrun ›

8.5

Overall
Score

#3 Solar Energy World Logo Solar Energy World ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#6 SunPower Logo SunPower ›

8.1

Overall
Score

The Good

• Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available
  • High Efficiency Panels
  • Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production
  • Attractive Appearance
  • Compatible With Battery Storage
  • Online Monitoring
  • Lengthy Warranties

Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available

SunPower offers three different payment options for customers to choose from: solar leasing, purchasing with cash, and financing with a loan.

With the lease option, SunPower Capital owns the system and the customer rents the system from the company, requiring monthly payments. The lease comes with a 20-year performance guarantee, as well as easy options in case the customer needs to transfer the lease.

SunPower also offers outright purchase and financing options for customers interested in the tax credits and other incentives that come along with solar power ownership. Loan terms for solar systems typically range from 5 to 20 years and do not have any prepayment penalties attached.

The cost of a SunPower solar system ultimately depends on several factors, including current energy usage, available amount of unshaded roof space, the local utility’s net metering policy, and other factors. The easiest way to figure out exactly how much solar will cost you is to obtain a free quote from SunPower.

High Efficiency Panels

SunPower is on the cutting edge of solar technology and excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment, so customers can be confident that they will have high quality products on their homes.

In fact, SunPower makes the highest efficiency solar panels you can buy for your roof in today's market, and the company's solar cells are made of anti-reflective glass and coated with anti-reflective coating to ensure that they capture as much sunlight as possible.

Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production

SunPower's X-Series solar panels excel in terms of power generation and deliver 44 percent more energy per watt than competitive products. This means that SunPower can provide more clean power for its customers' homes with fewer solar panels.

SunPower panels also boast 75 percent more energy per watt than conventional solar panels, meaning that an investment in a SunPower system will ultimately pay off more in the long run.

Additonally, SunPower panels maintain their energy production much better than conventional panels in partly-shaded conditions, making them a better rooftop solar option for customers who live in a cloudy region or a relatively shaded area.

Attractive Appearance

In addition to being highly efficient, SunPower's panels are uniquely attractive and aesthetically pleasing. While many other companies in the solar industry offer traditional blue photovoltaic panels, SunPower's panels are all black, which helps them to blend in better with the rooftop on many houses.

Compatible With Battery Storage

SunPower's panels are compatible with the Freedom CPAP Battery produced by Battery Power Solutions. When a SunPower module is installed along with this battery, customers will still have access to electricity in the event of a power outage.

Online Monitoring

Online monitoring is extremely important for customers who want to see what the panels on their roof are producing and ensure that everything is up to par.

SunPower offers a helpful, convenient app for customers to do just that. The app provides important system information such as power output, savings, energy usage over time, and environmental effects.

There is also a consumption monitoring kit that provides more information than the app for customers who would like a more in-depth way to monitor their system. The consumption monitoring kit is installed by the dealer, but may not be compatible with all homes.

Lengthy Warranties

SunPower offers multiple warranties to protect its customers' solar energy systems, including a 25-year product warranty, which covers the equipment itself, and a 25-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation. The clean energy company also offers a 25-year performance warranty, which covers the customer in the event that their solar modules underperform in terms of electricity production and output.

The Bad

• No PPAs for Non-Commerical Buyers
  • Few In-House Installations
  • Customer Service Complaints

No PPAs for Non-Commercial Buyers

Many customers may be interested in obtaining a SunPower module through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) because this payment method typically includes some kind of $0 down option, which eliminates a barrier to entry for them to go solar.

Unfortunately, SunPower only offers PPAs to commercial customers, so consumers who are interested in a PPA for their home solar system will not have much luck with this company.

Few In-House Installations

SunPower is performing installations itself in select areas of California; however, SunPower panels are available in 41 states, excluding the following, through a network of dealers:

• Alaska
  • Iowa
  • Arkansas
  • Mississippi
  • Alabama

The dealer you choose will end up being your installer and customer care center for the life of the solar PV panels, which creates a bit of confusion as to who should be contacted (the dealer or SunPower) in the event that any issues occur.

Customer Service Complaints

Many users on our site have provided negative feedback in regards to SunPower's customer service.

Common complaints include difficulty to reach a representative, company failure to return phone calls, slow response time, and inability to resolve issues.

The Bottom Line

SunPower offers a number of payment options, some of the most efficient solar panels in the industry, online monitoring for its customers, and a lengthy workmanship and product warranty.

However, the company does not offer PPAs to residential customers and outsources most of its installations, making it confusing for customers to know who to contact if there is an issue.

3.6

Michael
February 6th, 2019 Granite Bay, CA DETAILS

great customer service. Their team was very nice and respectful on the property. They would ask me if their installation idea was good for me and they kept all installs clean and professional.

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you, Michael. Our installation crews work hard to make every job perfect.

Kevin Kocher
February 6th, 2019 Easton, PA DETAILS

Working with your contractors was very easy time will tell with the rest

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you, Kevin. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions once your system is up and running and producing clean energy for you.

Mike H.
February 6th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Best technology at a fair price. Zero hassles

Feb 06, 2019

Glad to hear you're satisfied, Mike!

Mike Tierney
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Since the solar panels were installed, they have not worked properly. Since May, Sunpower has been diligent is correcting the problems. I expect this Saturday they will finally have everything operational.

Feb 06, 2019

Glad we finally got everything fixed for you, Mike. Don't hesitate to reach out for anything in the future.

Kerstin Mueller
January 30th, 2019 Milpitas, CA DETAILS

We wanted to go solar to save on our electric bills and do something good for the environment. We chose SunPower and couldn’t be happier. SunPower’s technology is the best in the market and they have the most efficient panels of anyone else. Our system was turned on yesterday and it’s already producing beyond our expectations! The entire experience from the energy consultant to the project coordinator and the entire installation team was awesome. We’re very excited and satisfied and would recommend SunPower to anyone looking for the best solar solution.

Feb 06, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower!

Kersali Johnson
January 30th, 2019 Arverne, NY DETAILS

I have 2 bad roof leaks. No one cares about. I just bought my house a year ago . Brand new. They came out repaired the leak. After that no one called nor came by to check on it again. Also no one repaired the damage done in the inside due to the roof leak.

Feb 01, 2019

Hello Kersali, An escalation specialist emailed you on Jan 30th to address your concerns. Please let us know if you did not receive it.

Alexandra
January 28th, 2019 Perth Amboy, NJ

a very responsible company, a very professional staff, I am very satisfied with the service and I recommend one hundred percent

Thank you, Alexandra!

Michelle King
January 28th, 2019 Del Rio, TX

Desmond provided exceptional customer service when I inquired about the products being offered! Very satisfied with the help I received. Far exceeded my expectations! Very evident this company cares and values their business!

Mar 01, 2019

Thank you Michelle!

Nathalia Camacho
January 28th, 2019 Lancaster, CA

Desmond was amazing explaining the product.

Gabriela Garza
January 28th, 2019 Buda, TX

I was very pleased with the customer service Desmond provided when I was inquiring about solar panels and pricing for my home. Very professional and and very customer service oriented. Although it’s not quite in my budget yet, I will be planning on returning to make the purchase soon.

Anthony F.
January 25th, 2019 Austin, TX

Very knowledgeable and friendly staff, this will help me make a decision very soon on purchasing solar. I like how the solar panels look very sleek and will look great on my new home! Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Anthony. If you have any questions during the process, don't hesitation to reach out.

Brittany
January 25th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

We have nothing but good things to say about SunPower. Everyone we spoke to was courteous and went out of their way to help. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for the products.

Thank you, Brittany!

Greta
January 24th, 2019 New Britain, CT DETAILS

I love our SunPower solar panels. I love how the online profile displays all of our information and that it is easy to read.

Jan 25, 2019

Thanks Greta, It's great you're using the monitoring app to see how much clean energy you're making and how it's making a positive impact on the environment.

Gary M Meale
January 23rd, 2019 Middletown, CT

The installation and all associates in concerning this job were first rate. I wholeheartedly recommend people do business with Sun Power. We could not be happier with our solar system installation. Thanks state of Connecticut for helping move us away from fossil fuel.

Jan 25, 2019

Thank you Gary, and congrats on helping to change how our world is powered one home at a time.

Sonia
January 22nd, 2019 Ellington, CT

So far, I have nothing but positive things to say about this company. They are a pleasure to deal with. They make you feel like family. :)

Jan 22, 2019

Awe, thanks Sonia! That's great to hear. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance from us in the future.

Carmie
March 6th, 2019 Sun City, AZ DETAILS

We started our relationship with Sun Power almost 1 year ago. Many promises where made and not fulfilled. How long it would it take to get installed,money we would save, bills from electric company customer service, etc. we have been told by the installers it isn’t working told faulty parts asked for a supervisor to call never happened. Today I will make another call and ask them to remove it. We are seniors , my husband is 100 % disability we can’t deal with all this stress. We will take whatever steps we need to end our relationship with Sun Power. I see a lot of others have similar problems this pass year. Something changed!

Mar 06, 2019

Hello Carmie, I would like to apologize for the system issues you are receiving. I would like to have your case escalated as soon as possible. Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will have a specialist contact you within 24 hours.

Henry
January 22nd, 2019 Staten Island, NY

Love the ease of installation and the time it took to get me up and running

Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Henry.

Craig Picard
January 22nd, 2019 Portland, CT DETAILS

My experience with SunPower has gone from “good” during installation to “terrible” following the installation. I have had ongoing issues with my system not functioning properly since it has been installed and now I believe SunPower is over inflating the monthly energy consumption that they report for both the grid and solar power when compared to the energy consumption reported by my electrical supplier. NO one at SunPower can is able to address this issue when Incall customer service and NO higher level manager ever calls me back. I am extremely frustrated and plan to report this to the Better Business Burueau and any other consumer watch dog group that can assist me in getting SunPower to respond to my requests to discuss these irregularities with me.

Jan 22, 2019

Craig, We are very sorry to hear this, and we'd definitely like to help you get this resolved. I will have a supervisor reach out to you.

Wagdy Demyan
January 22nd, 2019 Ripon, CA DETAILS

Professional sales person great work fast and clean installation. The system works very well

Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Wagdy.

Margaret
January 22nd, 2019 Monroe, CT

We received unbelievable customer service throughout the process of installing our system - from direct contact with our sales rep, to weekly email updates from the project coordinator, to the team who installed the panels on our roof, EVERYONE was extremely knowledgeable and well informed - and kept US well informed. The installers were polite and personable, respected my home, and kept our yard clean and neat at all times. We're very pleased so far!

Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Margaret! Let us know if you ever have any questions down the road.

Gerald Ricard
January 17th, 2019 Canton, CT

Very professional people that are exceptionally knowledgeable about product and installation. Support has been excellent!

Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Gerald!

Valarie
January 17th, 2019 Stockton, CA

I had my hand held from the inception of the project and was kept very informed throughout the process.

Thank you, Valarie!

Shen 沈
January 17th, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS

The panels are installed on time and on budget.

Jan 22, 2019

That's great to hear, Shen, thanks!

Tom
January 17th, 2019 Santa Barbara, CA DETAILS

They installed the panels incorrectly and it lead to some flooding in our attic. Our plumber showed what happened but they denied everything. Part of our contract calls for them to wash the panels at least once a year. They've never done it since installation.

Jan 18, 2019

Hello Tom, Would you mind sending me a private message with your contact information? I would like to look into this further for you and provide as much assistance as we can to get your issues addressed.

Lucas Nagy
January 17th, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS

Professional through every step. Project management delivered upon sales representation. Install crew was courteous and client-oriented. Foreman Ricky was informed, communicative and aimed to solve challenges. Final product looked as advertised and is producing beautifully.

Jan 22, 2019

Congrats on helping to change how our world is powered, Lucas!

Georgia Crowley
January 17th, 2019 Stonington, CT

Very good people to deal with, especially liked Smartan(?) the person who knocked on our door and got us started. He was like a member of the family.

Thank you, Georgia!

kal
January 17th, 2019 Dublin, CA

Happy with the SunPower system.superfast installation.

Thank you!

Randy Baker
January 17th, 2019 Saratoga, CA DETAILS

professional sales and installation effort

Thanks, Randy

Mayra Cardi
January 17th, 2019 The Bronx, NY

After interviewing several companies, I was most happy with the proposal SunPower gave me. I was always informed on all the steps that goes into having the panels working and I was happy with their professionalism. The package I received from SunPower was the best one out of several companies I reviewed. Thank you

Jan 22, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Mayra!

BABU H SONI
January 17th, 2019 Bethel, CT DETAILS

very satisfaction work done and quality work.

Thank you!

Gary Kral
January 17th, 2019 Middletown, CT

The process from the initial sale all the way through to the solar panel's being energized was seamless. I was contacted and explained every step of the process from the beginning to the end. My PM was Rebecca S and she was great with the scheduling of the installation, town inspector and the final start-up. Quick to respond and answer my questions. Sebastian was courteous and thorough with the installation. It looks great and works great. Being from the HVAC field, i am impressed with the whole process and the customer service from SunPower and will be recommending them to my family and friends. Thank you.

Jan 22, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Gary!

Carol
January 17th, 2019 Pawcatuck, CT

Our positive experience began with the sales rep, Franz S. It continued with our project manager, Becky S. We were kept updated during the entire process and things went on schedule. Our panels are attractive (hardly even noticed) on our 1750 house. One of the greatest advantages to SunPower has been the quick response to any correspondence we have exchanged with all parties. They take responsibility for their system and are always available for help/questions/answers. Our experience has felt like a "partnership" with this company. They didn't install, say good luck and go on their way. They have been there when we needed them. Love the app that tracks the power, etc. Anxious to see results when warm weather is in full swing!

Jan 25, 2019

Thank you, Carol. Glad our panels complement your historic home and excited to see how much clean energy you make this year!

Liz
January 17th, 2019 Austin, TX

Desmond W was incredibly helpful. Great experience

Thank you, Liz!

Kris C
January 17th, 2019 Pawcatuck, CT DETAILS

Becky was amazing through this process. Everything was easy and taken care of with ease.

Thanks, Kris!

jay hine
January 17th, 2019 Southbury, CT

Sun Power was great to work with. My system is up and running for approximately one month. I my first billing cycle has not been processed yet. I am looking forward to seeing the results

Jan 25, 2019

Thank you, Jay, for choosing SunPower.

Sarah Harris
January 17th, 2019 Rockville, CT

From the beginning SunPower has been able to help us whenever we needed it. Everyone that I have had the pleasure of dealing with has not only been helpful, but caring compassionate and quick to respond. Especially Becky S!

Thank you, Sarah.

Kyle
January 17th, 2019 Hamden, CT DETAILS

Excellent customer service and communication. Entire process took longer than we hoped for (not necessarily the fault of SunPower). Crew and inspectors were very professional and timely.

Jan 25, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Kyle.

Eddie
January 16th, 2019 Pflugerville, TX

Great service overall, desmond was very helpful.

Thanks, Eddie!

Peter Lambrecht
January 15th, 2019 Chino, CA

The entire project was very easy. Sun Power keep me informed every step. The Rebels did a great job on the installation. Really nice people.

Jan 16, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Peter!

Alfonso Baez
January 15th, 2019 Clifton, NJ DETAILS

I was very happy with the overall process of the proposal for the solar panel services i was never pushed into anything yet i was explained in details how it worked and what it would do to the environment. Iam very please to say it really works i see no difference in the amount of power this unit supplies , so I highly recommended, ones again thank you Sun Power for your service.

Thanks, Alfonso!

Steve
January 15th, 2019 Castro Valley, CA DETAILS

Project took longer than expected after panels were installed. Seemed to be some mix ups in putting in new electric box. However i was impressed with the quality of the new box and the entire system. Staff were always 100% professional. Enjoying the app on a daily basis.

Jan 16, 2019

Hi Steve, Sorry to hear you experienced a delay but glad we got everything sorted out for you and that you're enjoying the monitoring app. Thanks for choosing SunPower and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Paul Hembrook
January 15th, 2019 New Milford, CT

Initial meeting to review the system and what we needed was great. Install went great. Follow up meeting with Miguel after install brought our understanding of the system to a great level.

Jan 16, 2019

Thanks Paul! We hope you enjoy making your own clean energy in the coming year.

Darin Peterson
January 15th, 2019 Dinuba, CA DETAILS

SunPower has the worst customer service you can imagine. If you have a problem, good luck. My system has been broken and underperforming for 9 months and they will not communicate. If I want to know anything I have to call and wait on their automated phone service. No emails, no phone calls. I have been calling every couple of weeks for 9 months and explaining the poor service I am getting. They have told me at least 3 times my case has been "escalated." It has been 9 months and my system still isn't fixed, but I had to pay a huge true-up bill for last year because of its underperformance. I am in a new year now and because it isn't fixed they are ruining this years production as well. They assure me they will fulfill their contracted guaranteed power delivery, but because my system makes significantly more than that I lost that production last year and I will lose it again this year. I also live in California and SunPower will only pay for the lowest tier price at .12 per kilowatt hour. I am having to pay the highest tier price because of my system's lack of performance. A customer service guy finally emailed me saying he would like to talk to me more about the poor customer service. I have called him several times and emailed 3 times and he has yet to return my calls or emails. That was a month ago. They do not do what they say they are going to do. There are plenty of other companies to go with. SunPower is not worth your time.

Jan 16, 2019

Hello Darin, I have escalated your case to our executive escalation department. Please expect a call from an escalation specialist to address your concerns within 24 hours.

Robert Tabor
January 14th, 2019 Plainville, CT DETAILS

I had solar installed by Sunpower,the work force was totally committed to their job and had the work completed in one day. The finished project was cleared by Sunpower and the town inspector. I am completely satisfied with the work at hand and now enjoying the sun for my energy. I would recommend this Co. To all my friends and neighbors. In support and feedback alone this is an A1 company to deal with,everyone involved was very considerate and truthful in every regard. Everything was laid out exactly the way it was going to happen and it did with no hitches.

Jan 16, 2019

Thank you so much, Robert! We appreciate referrals, as we know it means that you're a happy customer, and that's our No. 1 goal.

Irving Thompson
January 11th, 2019 Cromwell, CT DETAILS

I found the whole process went like clockwork. Everything was completed on time and professionally.

Thank you, Irving!

John McGaughan
January 11th, 2019 Watertown, CT

Sales was very helpful getting the best option. The install was quick and the lead person was very helpful in explaining how things work and making sure everything was going to my liking.

Jan 11, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, John.

Chris
January 11th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Great experience. Exceptional service. Highly recommend!

Jan 11, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower Chris!

Cody Monroe
January 22nd, 2019 San Antonio, TX

I talked to a Mr. Desmond W. about how solar works and how beneficial it would be for me to invest in solar for my home. Desmond answered all of my questions honestly and I really appreciated that. At this point my wife and I are really considering solar.

Jan 25, 2019

We hope you choose SunPower, Cody! Thanks for your feedback.

Laiza Brown
January 11th, 2019 Sandy, TX

Great service and representatives were very informative. Highly recommend! Will definitely be reaching out to in the future.

Thanks, Laiza.

Allyson
January 11th, 2019 Austin, TX

Their team is friendly and knowledgeable. They are quick to answer any and all questions and concerns.

Jan 11, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Allyson.