AT&T packages basic home automation equipment with its AT&T Digital Life product, to compliment and enhance its home security products. While AT&T's smart home offering is limited to home security and energy saving features, it covers the basic expected features customers expect to get with the home security. AT&T Digital Life offers few packages which are designed to meet the demand for home automation.
- Established company
- Industry-standard automation options
AT&T is a widely recognized company with a solid reputation for producing quality goods and services. AT&T Digital Life features user-friendly interfaces, which are attractively designed. Customers may choose from three packages with additional features available to add into one's package. Each of the home automation packages comes with some form of home security built in, but the home security packages do not necessarily include home automation.
Industry-Standard Automation Options
Specifically, AT&T Digital Life gives users automated control over the following features:
- Locks: Users can setup custom passcodes, lock or unlock doors remotely. They are able to open or close connected (front, back, garage) doors with smartphones.
- Surveillance: Through motion detectors and sensors, users can receive notifications to their mobile app whenever someone approaches their home or front door.
- Energy: Customers can control both their lighting and their thermostats to regulate energy usage; they can also set lighting schedules to give the appear of being home even when they are not.
- Water: AT&T Digital Life can detect water leaks and automatically shut off pipes in the event of an emergency (not included in all packages).
A significant negative which was discovered by the Review Team when researching AT&T Digital Life is their requirement for a long-term commitment. All new customers are required to sign at least a 24-month contract. In some states, the service contract can be as long as 36 months. Customers need to be fully aware of the term of their contract and applicable state law.
Additionally, any change to one's service will automatically extend the remaining service contract for another full term, regardless of how much time remained on the contract at the time of the changes.
Customers have complained about the lack of compatible appliances and difficulty which they experienced in upgrading or adding equipment to the system to automate.
The Bottom Line
Overall, AT&T Digital Life is a good option if you're primarily interested in home security and energy conservation. Its packages manage both systems with ease. For those wanting more sophisticated home controls (home theater, blinds, etc.), another company would be a better choice.
We recommend AT&T Digital Life for anyone wanting a basic product with professional installation and to those who are able to make a complete commitment to a long-term service contract.