Movoto Real Estate Logo

Movoto Real Estate

Is This Your Business?

5.3

LAST UPDATED: August 31st, 2021
Movoto, Inc. is an online real estate company that was founded in 2005. Movoto is very picky about who it selects to include in its listing of agents; in fact, Movoto was one of the few companies in the industry that set extremely high standards for its realtors. To be a Movoto realtor, one must have the following background in real estate and qualifications:
  • A minimum of 3 years of experience in local real estate (for a market area)
  • Successful negotiation at least 10 real estate transactions per year
  • Professionalism, integrity and a passionate interest in the quality of the home-buying experience
Movoto also has an extensive knowledge base for homebuyers in the form of its website blog, "Movoto Insider." The blog is broken into sections, as follows:
  • Best Places to Live: Articles that highlight areas and cities, such as the ten best smallest cities to live.
  • Safest Places: The safest places to live in each state. These articles are upgraded annually.
  • Move To: An article about facts for a city you might want to know before you move there.
  • Understand: Facts that you might want to know about a new city once you are a resident.
Movoto's toll-free number is also designed to get real estate agents and prospective homeowners talking. There is a four-step process to using Movoto: (1) Browse the website as long as you'd like (no fees for subscriptions), (2) Contact Movoto (they set you up with a real estate agent), (3) Schedule an appointment with your assigned realtor, and finally, (4) Buy and complete the move-in process if you decide to purchase your home.

Zillow Logo
#1 Zillow chevron_right
Hubzu Logo
#2 Hubzu chevron_right
2.8
Realtor.com Logo
#3 Realtor.com chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Toll-free number
  • Blog
  • Pictures
The first thing that we noticed about Movoto's website was the toll-free number. When we looked at Trulia, we couldn't find a direct contact number to get in touch with an agent. With Movoto, the toll-free number plays an important role in getting the customer in touch with an experienced realtor. With other websites, such as Trulia, we noticed a high level of frustration with realtors who had a tough time getting leads. This wasn't the case with Movoto, as customers are set up with an experienced realtor who shows the property. Another thing that we liked about Movoto was the website's blog. Movoto has all the resources in place to help educate a potential homebuyer on the culture, demographics, and amenities associated with their new locale. While Trulia and other websites have scores for a home, we found that Movoto did a great job of getting their customers information. We liked that certain parts of the blog, such as the safest cities to live in each state, were updated on an annual basis. We had to browse a little bit on each home listing to find information about crime statistics and schools. On the side of the page, there is a little bar graph that has information on crime, household income, and other demographics for the new home. If you click on the "Full Demographics" link, a plethora of information is available, much more intensive than websites such as Zillow and Trulia. Another positive attribute of Movoto is the number of pictures for each property. We looked at a property in California. We found over twenty pictures of the home's exterior and interior. In fact, the only critique of the photos provided was that the home's exterior shots seemed a bit trivial. We would have liked to see more pictures of the interior of the property. Another positive attribute of the Movoto website was being able to select a home with a pool on the map search function. Other websites did not have a pool search feature. While most homeowners might not want a pool, this made the website a little bit more attractive to use over Trulia and Zillow, in our opinion.

The Bad

• Reviews
We found few things to complain about with Movoto. The one complaint came from a realtor who wanted to complain about a fake review. Movoto responded by saying that it does not accept responsibility for the content of reviews. Movoto did not take down the fake review and the complaining realtor did not accept Movoto's resolution of the dispute. To maintain its excellent communication between customers and realtors, Movoto might want to monitor reviews of its website more diligently. Some of the photos on Movoto's website were a little bit irrelevant to the online homebuyer. One listing in California provided several photos of the exterior of a listing, including a photo of the skyline. The photos of the interior of the home were adequate, but more would be better.

The Bottom Line

Here is what we liked about Movoto, which would make us recommend them for the prospective homeowner:
  • The most detailed demographic listings for a property in the industry, especially in comparison to Trulia and other similar websites. While Trulia has a walking and transit score, we found that addresses for nearby grocery stores and businesses were included on Movoto's site.
  • Excellent beginning-to-end service for customers using the website. Customers for Movoto are immediately set up with a realtor on their call-in, moving them towards buying a home quicker.
  • A detailed search listing for homes, including number of beds/baths, square footage, price, and even a "pool" filtering option.
Here is what we would like to see improved on Movoto:
  • More relevant photos for homes that focus on the "saleable" areas of the home (we didn't find the skyline photo from the CA listing to be particularly helpful for customers).
Overall, we felt that Movoto was a better service for customers in comparison to other sites. Movoto has high qualifications for its real estate agents, including three years of experience and ten transactions per year.

2.1

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I recently started using Movoto while we were looking at buying a home. We signed up to get emails from them with homes in our price range and we were able to see a lot of different options. The listings on the main page focus on showing how many bedrooms and bathrooms there are which is nice to see right off the bat. I wish they had more info in those small listings, but once you go to the main listing, you are able to learn a lot about each property. I will definitely use them again when we are back in the market.

Susan Warrington Manlius, NY

We thought they were credible and used them extensively in our search for a retirement home in a complicated market in a small resort town. After months of using them I have concluded that they are either influenced by realtors and manipulate their numbers or they don’t know what they are doing. Being a mathematician I understand how math works and how these things are calculated but Movoto is way off! The math doesn’t add up. Swings in value of $79,000 in a 12 hour period? Their comps are not applied properly either. I highly suspect their numbers are influenced by realtors.

Tina Katz Sunnyvale, CA

I had a great experience with Movoto when I was selling my house. The agent I worked with was super knowledgeable about my neighborhood and gave me a very accurate home valuation. I was able to sell for 10% over my asking price which made me a very happy camper. Would recommend the service to a friend. The customer support was extremely nice. Not sure if something changed on their end but my experience was top notch.

Mel B Aliso Viejo, CA

Movoto is a fantastic real estate site, provides an abundance of property and neighborhood information, extremely user friendly, and a fabulous layout!!! Movoto has extraordinary real estate agents to assist in all your real estate transactions. My go to site for looking for real estate,

Chiraz Salhi Falls Church, VA

I just called Movoto to get a answer about a property in listed on Movoto that's on Gaithersburg . I got the most RUDE , unprofessional person on the phone that didn't have an answer whether or not the property was available or not , told Ariel you're wasting my time if you didn't know you should've put an agent on the phone from the get go. I asked him for a supervisor he kept on laughing , put me on hold twice he won't put a supervisor on the phone .DON'T call them for any of their listings, try Redfin or Zillow they have the same listings are professional and very helpful .

Leshia Johnson Jupiter, FL

I have been a Movoto subscriber and devotee/fan for many years. Last week I got a negative campaign ad mixed in the real estate feed. I took time to express my concerns to Customer Service. "Oh, that must have been a mistake. Our policy is to stay out of the political arena" This afternoon is another negative campaign ad in my real estate feed. This is unacceptable. I will be cancelling my relationship with Movoto.

Angel Gomez Fresno, CA

incompetence beyond believe. agents don't answer phone, don't update customer, poorly trained and don't know their job. I don't understand how they're in business. My worst nightmare selling my house through Molotovo. Stay away, use century 21 or london properties; avoid stress and headaches.

RBK Garden City, ID

Great up to date company. My home in Murphys California has been on the market for weeks and Movoto still shows it as not on the market. Laughing at their professionalism. Who do they hire to do their work? How is on to get potential clients when they have inaccurate information. I would not believe anything they display.

cyn dezu Broken Arrow, OK

Home owners are unable to rectify inaccurate "facts" Movoto masquerades as legitimate appraisers. Home owners deserve to have their information delivered correctly or removed.

Mary Thomas

The ability to speak with a Real Estate agent is fantastic. Movoto service is much better than other other company online.

K . Castillo South Gate, CA

Website not up to date. They claim to have more listings than the competitors but several of their listings are old and already off market. Bad advertising.

Katherine Alvarado Oroville, CA

Movoto is hurting our sales and listings. They need to take down their estimated home value. They need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Jane Pittner Tacoma, WA

They have very rude customer service. Unhelpful. Stay away. Nothing but stress and headaches. Do not follow the rules. Unprofessional.