Mint.com is one of the most popular personal finance sites on the internet. It’s been around since 2007. It’s owned by Intuit, which also makes TurboTax and QuickBooks. Mint is easy to learn and it automates nearly every aspect of making a budget and tracking your spending. Mint also offers Mint Bills, a free bill pay site, and a free credit score report.

doxo chevron_right
Mvelopes chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Free to use
  • Set up goals
  • Customize budget and alerts

Mint is free, and gets you up and running with your budget and account views within minutes thanks to their step-by-step tutorial when you sign up. After you set up your accounts, Mint imports the last 3 months of transactions. Mint's predefined categories are applied to each transaction and, based on these categories, it automatically creates a budget for you. You can add as many sub-categories as you like and Mint will remember these assignments going forward.

Mint.com is one of the most popular personal finance sites on the internet. It automates nearly every aspect of making a budget and tracking your spending. Some of Mint's highlights include:

• Free
  • Quick set up
  • Versatile home page
  • Free credit score
  • Triple layer security
  • Mobile access

Also, you're not stuck with the initial automatic budget; you can tinker with it to your own liking. In addition to budgeting, Mint also allows you to set up goals like paying off your credit card or saving up for a big purchase, and tracks your progress toward those goals. Since Mint can capture all of your accounts, the dashboard home page makes it simple to see your financial health at-a-glance, including:

• Recent transactions
  • Spending by category
  • Budget tracking
  • Alerts
  • Advice and tips
  • Account balances
  • Net worth

Alerts can be customized based on your preferences. Mint will send notifications through email or text message informing you of a low balance, unusual spending, fees incurred or goals reached. The design is colorful and easy to read and you can customize it by adding or removing charts and widgets. Mint also supports mobile access, providing apps for:

• iOS
  • Google Play
  • Windows Phone
  • Amazon

Mint is the only personal finance site to offer free credit score tracking, provided via Equifax - not even a credit card required. This feature is critical if you're saving for a big purchase like a home or a car. You can even opt to display your score on your home dashboard page so that you can keep constant tabs on it. To ensure high levels of security, Mint operates on a "triple layer security" system. Additional security authentication is required on mobile devices with a 4-digit pin for its mobile apps - or you can opt to use Touch ID fingerprint verification for iOS.

The Bad

• Manually add accounts
  • No demo
  • Too simplistic for some needs

While Mint gives you a detailed view of your financial past and present, it falls short on forecasting your future balances. You can't manually add accounts, which some people prefer instead of handing over their account information to automatically sync bank and credit card transactions. Mint also doesn't offer functionality to reconcile your bank statements (what we used to call "balancing your checkbook") either. Some common concerns regarding Mint include:

• Advertising
  • Little pre-sign up info
  • Lacks forecasting
  • No reconciling
  • Few investment tools

Mint offers it's services for free, which means they have included advertising on the site.  Although it's simple to get set up Mint with the tutorials provided after you register, there is little pre-signup information offered on the website. Some people may feel uncomfortable signing up for a product they can't demo or even see in a video ahead of time.

If you're a high-end user of investment and wealth management tools, Mint will probably seem too simplistic for you. It also doesn't support many financial institutions outside of the U.S. In fact, there isn't even an option to purchase an upgrade to get this type of functionality.

The Bottom Line

Mint.com is one of the most popular online personal finance sites - and for good reason. It excels in helping you create and stick to a budget and keeps you on track with your financial goals across a wide variety of devices.

Mint's free credit score tracking is a killer app which is unique among its competitors and this feature alone would be a good reason for choosing Mint. Its security pedigree, hailing from its parent company, Intuit, is solid and trustworthy. Those that use Mint can expect the following from their service:

1. Free software
  2. Quality financial management tools
  3. Advertising on the app

jaci finch

November 20th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX

MINT IS AMAZING! I am a college student who hates thinking about money, and Mint makes it so easy. They track everything and honestly have helped me save so much money.

Caitlin

November 15th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

Mint helps me keep all of my accounts in one place. It has been one of the most helpful apps on my phone for months now and it is the first place I go when I need to check any of my accounts. Not only does it keep track of your accounts, bills, and credit score, but it also helps you set saving goals that are kept track of in the app. I can not say enough good things! Everyone should give Mint a shot!

Ashton Rogers

November 14th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

I use Mint to keep track of my different accounts (checking, savings, Venmo) and it has been a great way to watch my monthly spending. I also use it to budget my spending and savings each month. I like that it's easy to use and I plan to use it to finance my student loan payments in the future.

David Anderson

November 7th, 2020 Providence, UT

Mint is an awesome free tool to help you budget, save money, and put all your accounts into one aggregated place. I love that I can see everything together and not have any financial surprises.

Christian Parry

November 5th, 2020 Logan, UT

I’ve used Mint to budget for years. I love how easy it is to set goals and see how close I am to achieving them. It’s a great platform to budget with

Pcander

November 4th, 2020 Saint George, UT

I love this free service. My main disappointment with it is that there aren’t any check boxes to check off when you have finished checking an entry

Ryan Harpenau

November 4th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

I just recently got this app and look at it often to help me budget. It gives detailed breakdowns of where your money is going each month and is definitely helpful in seeing how much money you spend and what you spend it on. It also provides free credit score checks, though I haven't used that service.

Pam Parry

November 4th, 2020 Vienna, VA

We use mint to do our monthly budgeting. It's helpful to keep track of our expenses so we don't have to do it manually.

Dave_

September 14th, 2020 Layton, UT

I like the ability to integrate Mint with your bank to auto download transaction history and help with budgeting.

Tagg

September 11th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mint.com is great at keeping track of my finances and see where I am spending money.

Shante Reeder

September 4th, 2020 Ogden, UT

Mint was the first budget tool I ever used! I signed up right after I got my first checking account to help me learn how to budget, and it has stuck with me! It's easy to use, and awesome to be able to see exactly where your money is going!

Abby Stubbs

September 3rd, 2020 Brigham City, UT

I used mint for a bit when keeping to a strict budget was very important for me. It helped keep track of expenses but I ended up just keeping track on my own because it was simpler that way

David Martin

September 3rd, 2020 San Diego, CA

Mint is my absolute favorite financial service EVER! I have yet to find a financial institution that they do not integrate with. You can even get your credit score right through Mint. It is awesome! And the best part of all, it is completely FREE!!!

Dre35

September 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT

great tool! a little slow to upload all latest transactions, but great resource to gather all of my accounts, and investments!

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What a great financial tool to track and maintain your financial accounts. I used it and within weeks, it had a positive effect on my screwball finances. It all become manageable and easy to manipulate. I wish more things had this impact on your stuff. But at least bills and savings will be better handled with the help of Mint.com.

Cam McClellan

January 30th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Mint to track my finances. It really helps me stay on track.

Mark

May 6th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

To long to explain everything so I will simplify to this. I want to know how to not only cancel my account but also ensure every peice of personal information on me is purged from every system you have. After my support experience I have zero confidence in your ability to support and protect my data!

Tim Berrett

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Have used mint for years for personal finance and budgeting. The tool is easy to use. It is simple to add accounts, create finance goals, track a budget, setup motifications, etc. The amount of advertisements and services that mint pushes is annoying and it would be nice if that was dialed back.

Ryan H

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mint was recommended to me from someone else. I tinkered with it here and there but didn't feel that all the set up was worth my time. It didn't have immediate access to business bank that I use, which I was a little bummed about.

Zack

February 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Mint is by far my favorite resource to help me manage my money. Its free and has very helpful resources to help you save money fast. I'm able to set budgets and goals inside the program, and I can carry it anywhere with the mobile app.

Ann Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the Mint app on my phone. I can check my credit in a second, and I love the it links all of my purchases and accounts to keep my budget on track.

Kent

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I set up a Mint account to get a budget in place. It was a little hard to get set up and i don't love all of the features but I find it very useful.

Shayla Hankins

January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Mint is my one and only app for finances that I trust besides my bank app. They allow me to easily make budgets for as many categories as my life needs or has. And their customer service is the best.

Magaly De Avila

December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

Personally I don't think this is a good app, its pretty disorganized. I tried to like it but I just can't.

Dee Farquharson

December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had some issues with the link process with my PNC account. But once It finally let me sign in, i enjoyed the break down of my spending and what to look out for .It even informed me of "Foreign Transactions fees" that my bank didnt even tell me about and I may not have even caught it. It also links my credit cards so I get a full view of all of my debit AND credit cards in one location.

HLG

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to set up your accounts. However there seems to be a lot of transaction errors (i.e. the same one showing up in two different ways).

Spencer Scoville

December 3rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So simple to use and so handy when you want to know how much you are spending at certain places.

Abigail scoville

November 17th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So easy to use and understand! I love using mint because it allows me to budget on my phone in a super easy fast way. It notifies me when I am close to my budget and it shows how much I really spend in specific areas

Sam Anders

November 4th, 2018 Orem, UT

I really love using Mint for budgeting and I also use them (as one of many) to monitor my credit. I really like that I am able to sync up my bank and other account details with their site. It makes budgeting really simple and their bill payment reminders have definitely saved me a handful of times. I try to use the site over the mobile app as I find that there aren't as many features available on the app.

Deborah Hyde

October 27th, 2018 Springfield, MO

I like that my bank account can be attached to mint and they let me know how I am spending my money. I have used the free accounts and found that the service is great.

Maggie

October 24th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Love this app! We use it to track our monthly budget, it’s been very helpful to track our expenses

Amber

September 20th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We use Mint for our budgeting. Its great to track your budget with because it gives you alerts by text or email if you are getting close to reaching your limit and an assigned budget. It also alerts you if there has been unusual spending in any category. That way I can go into my account and see why. Also its a great tool to have all your financial accounts all in one place so you don't have to sign in to each individual sight to keep track of things.

Kate

September 7th, 2018 Dayton, OH

Mint has been a great finance app for me starting out as a young adult. With this new update, I am now completely obsessed. It is so easy and streamlined, showing me my finances, bills, budget and spending. I love how new and easy it is to use and keep track of my money. The budget wheel and aspect is wonderful, I Love being able to put in bills and mark them as paid, and the overarching view of my financial standing is very helpful at a glance. I would (and do) recommend the Mint app to anyone I know that I talk to about money and budgeting.

Thomas Hullinger

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mint is a good way to get started on the road to budgeting and money management. They have a great record keeping system and I like that they give you reminders of upcoming bills.

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mint has been very valuable to me, in helping me prepare a budget, keeping track of my expenses and categorizing everything so it is easy to find. I like their reminders of payments coming due and you just pay for what you need.

Catherine Taliulu

August 19th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

So helpful with keeping track of where my money is being spent.

Sarah

August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

A nice way to track your spending all in one place! You can tailor it to a certain extent but you can't delete categories which can be frustrating. Overall it has been a helpful too!

Hannah Cummins

August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Mint is a great tool to track personal finances and set up a budget for yourself. It also helps you to look at trends in your spending habits.

Hannah Cummins

August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Mint is a great way to track expenses, especially for those people who struggle with being financially responsible or sticking to a budget. You don't​ have to be great at math or great at making a budget because Mint helps you do it all.

Abby Nelson

July 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint can be useful for some, as it does collect your money and expenses. I found that some of my accounts kept unlinking, and it just wasn't worth the hassle since the entire point was to make it as easy as possible.

Cody Linden

July 28th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I downloaded the Mint app but when I went to connect in my bank/card information, for some reason it won't take it. I tried several things to fix it, but never thought it was worth the effort to call customer service. Now I get emails from them, saying that I never spend anything and that I should connect my card with my Mint account.

Anna Hu

July 22nd, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint has been so helpful with my budgeting and and changing my spending habits. It has really kept me on track with spending my money, and it is so helpful to see my trends in spending habits. It is so much easier to say no to unnecessary purchases while using Mint, and I definitely manage my money so much better now that I have this app.

Alicia Holman

July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I used this product, my biggest complaint is that it's way too broad. It doesn't allow me to make changes to the site to make it more conducive to my needs. It is easy to use, but if I have questions, there isn't anyone to ask. I wish there was a better support system.

Tom

June 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great help to me in tracking my expenses in one place. Easy to review things and help me to plan my budget.

Adam Crawley

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've had this app for a few years now and I've been satisfied with it. I love how it syncs with my bank account and automatically updates; however, it can be difficult to use sometimes. In addition, occasionally I find some of my purchases not categorized correctly, which is really annoying.

A Craw

June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to use and very comprehensive.

JRosa

April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love mint, it has made my finances so much more manageable. Plus it’s free! Definitely worth a try.

RJ

April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint is great in helping me keep a budget. Although I understand why they need confidential bank information and that they do their best to protect it, I would like to see if there is a way to use their services in a limited fashion without that information.

Trent

April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Great site. I like how easy it is to connect all of my accounts in one place. It helps to use budgeting tools like this, and it's free!

David Lewis

April 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Mint daily to keep track of my expenses. I love the convenience that it provides. I have had a couple of issues with certain accounts frequently becoming disconnected, but nothing major.