Mint.com is one of the most popular personal finance sites on the internet. It’s been around since 2007. It’s owned by Intuit, which also makes TurboTax and QuickBooks. Mint is easy to learn and it automates nearly every aspect of making a budget and tracking your spending. Mint also offers Mint Bills, a free bill pay site, and a free credit score report.

doxo chevron_right
Mvelopes chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Free to use
  • Set up goals
  • Customize budget and alerts

Mint is free, and gets you up and running with your budget and account views within minutes thanks to their step-by-step tutorial when you sign up. After you set up your accounts, Mint imports the last 3 months of transactions. Mint's predefined categories are applied to each transaction and, based on these categories, it automatically creates a budget for you. You can add as many sub-categories as you like and Mint will remember these assignments going forward.

Mint.com is one of the most popular personal finance sites on the internet. It automates nearly every aspect of making a budget and tracking your spending. Some of Mint's highlights include:

• Free
  • Quick set up
  • Versatile home page
  • Free credit score
  • Triple layer security
  • Mobile access

Also, you're not stuck with the initial automatic budget; you can tinker with it to your own liking. In addition to budgeting, Mint also allows you to set up goals like paying off your credit card or saving up for a big purchase, and tracks your progress toward those goals. Since Mint can capture all of your accounts, the dashboard home page makes it simple to see your financial health at-a-glance, including:

• Recent transactions
  • Spending by category
  • Budget tracking
  • Alerts
  • Advice and tips
  • Account balances
  • Net worth

Alerts can be customized based on your preferences. Mint will send notifications through email or text message informing you of a low balance, unusual spending, fees incurred or goals reached. The design is colorful and easy to read and you can customize it by adding or removing charts and widgets. Mint also supports mobile access, providing apps for:

• iOS
  • Google Play
  • Windows Phone
  • Amazon

Mint is the only personal finance site to offer free credit score tracking, provided via Equifax - not even a credit card required. This feature is critical if you're saving for a big purchase like a home or a car. You can even opt to display your score on your home dashboard page so that you can keep constant tabs on it. To ensure high levels of security, Mint operates on a "triple layer security" system. Additional security authentication is required on mobile devices with a 4-digit pin for its mobile apps - or you can opt to use Touch ID fingerprint verification for iOS.

The Bad

• Manually add accounts
  • No demo
  • Too simplistic for some needs

While Mint gives you a detailed view of your financial past and present, it falls short on forecasting your future balances. You can't manually add accounts, which some people prefer instead of handing over their account information to automatically sync bank and credit card transactions. Mint also doesn't offer functionality to reconcile your bank statements (what we used to call "balancing your checkbook") either. Some common concerns regarding Mint include:

• Advertising
  • Little pre-sign up info
  • Lacks forecasting
  • No reconciling
  • Few investment tools

Mint offers it's services for free, which means they have included advertising on the site.  Although it's simple to get set up Mint with the tutorials provided after you register, there is little pre-signup information offered on the website. Some people may feel uncomfortable signing up for a product they can't demo or even see in a video ahead of time.

If you're a high-end user of investment and wealth management tools, Mint will probably seem too simplistic for you. It also doesn't support many financial institutions outside of the U.S. In fact, there isn't even an option to purchase an upgrade to get this type of functionality.

The Bottom Line

Mint.com is one of the most popular online personal finance sites - and for good reason. It excels in helping you create and stick to a budget and keeps you on track with your financial goals across a wide variety of devices.

Mint's free credit score tracking is a killer app which is unique among its competitors and this feature alone would be a good reason for choosing Mint. Its security pedigree, hailing from its parent company, Intuit, is solid and trustworthy. Those that use Mint can expect the following from their service:

1. Free software
  2. Quality financial management tools
  3. Advertising on the app

Mark
May 9th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

To long to explain everything so I will simplify to this. I want to know how to not only cancel my account but also ensure every peice of personal information on me is purged from every system you have. After my support experience I have zero confidence in your ability to support and protect my data!

Tim Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Have used mint for years for personal finance and budgeting. The tool is easy to use. It is simple to add accounts, create finance goals, track a budget, setup motifications, etc. The amount of advertisements and services that mint pushes is annoying and it would be nice if that was dialed back.

Ryan Huntsman
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Mint was recommended to me from someone else. I tinkered with it here and there but didn't feel that all the set up was worth my time. It didn't have immediate access to business bank that I use, which I was a little bummed about.

Zack
February 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Mint is by far my favorite resource to help me manage my money. Its free and has very helpful resources to help you save money fast. I'm able to set budgets and goals inside the program, and I can carry it anywhere with the mobile app.

Ann Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love the Mint app on my phone. I can check my credit in a second, and I love the it links all of my purchases and accounts to keep my budget on track.

Kent
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I set up a Mint account to get a budget in place. It was a little hard to get set up and i don't love all of the features but I find it very useful.

Shayla Hankins
January 16th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Mint is my one and only app for finances that I trust besides my bank app. They allow me to easily make budgets for as many categories as my life needs or has. And their customer service is the best.

Magaly De Avila
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT

Personally I don't think this is a good app, its pretty disorganized. I tried to like it but I just can't.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I had some issues with the link process with my PNC account. But once It finally let me sign in, i enjoyed the break down of my spending and what to look out for .It even informed me of "Foreign Transactions fees" that my bank didnt even tell me about and I may not have even caught it. It also links my credit cards so I get a full view of all of my debit AND credit cards in one location.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Very easy to set up your accounts. However there seems to be a lot of transaction errors (i.e. the same one showing up in two different ways).

Spencer Scoville
December 3rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

So simple to use and so handy when you want to know how much you are spending at certain places.

Abigail scoville
November 19th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

So easy to use and understand! I love using mint because it allows me to budget on my phone in a super easy fast way. It notifies me when I am close to my budget and it shows how much I really spend in specific areas

Sam Anders
November 5th, 2018 Orem, UT

I really love using Mint for budgeting and I also use them (as one of many) to monitor my credit. I really like that I am able to sync up my bank and other account details with their site. It makes budgeting really simple and their bill payment reminders have definitely saved me a handful of times. I try to use the site over the mobile app as I find that there aren't as many features available on the app.

Deborah Hyde
October 29th, 2018 Springfield, MO

I like that my bank account can be attached to mint and they let me know how I am spending my money. I have used the free accounts and found that the service is great.

Maggie
October 25th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Love this app! We use it to track our monthly budget, it’s been very helpful to track our expenses

Amber
September 21st, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We use Mint for our budgeting. Its great to track your budget with because it gives you alerts by text or email if you are getting close to reaching your limit and an assigned budget. It also alerts you if there has been unusual spending in any category. That way I can go into my account and see why. Also its a great tool to have all your financial accounts all in one place so you don't have to sign in to each individual sight to keep track of things.

Kate
September 10th, 2018 Dayton, OH

Mint has been a great finance app for me starting out as a young adult. With this new update, I am now completely obsessed. It is so easy and streamlined, showing me my finances, bills, budget and spending. I love how new and easy it is to use and keep track of my money. The budget wheel and aspect is wonderful, I Love being able to put in bills and mark them as paid, and the overarching view of my financial standing is very helpful at a glance. I would (and do) recommend the Mint app to anyone I know that I talk to about money and budgeting.

Thomas Hullinger
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Mint is a good way to get started on the road to budgeting and money management. They have a great record keeping system and I like that they give you reminders of upcoming bills.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Mint has been very valuable to me, in helping me prepare a budget, keeping track of my expenses and categorizing everything so it is easy to find. I like their reminders of payments coming due and you just pay for what you need.

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

So helpful with keeping track of where my money is being spent.

Hannah Cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Mint is a great tool to track personal finances and set up a budget for yourself. It also helps you to look at trends in your spending habits.

Sarah
August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

A nice way to track your spending all in one place! You can tailor it to a certain extent but you can't delete categories which can be frustrating. Overall it has been a helpful too!

Hannah Cummins
August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Mint is a great way to track expenses, especially for those people who struggle with being financially responsible or sticking to a budget. You don't​ have to be great at math or great at making a budget because Mint helps you do it all.

Abby Nelson
July 31st, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint can be useful for some, as it does collect your money and expenses. I found that some of my accounts kept unlinking, and it just wasn't worth the hassle since the entire point was to make it as easy as possible.

Cody Linden
July 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I downloaded the Mint app but when I went to connect in my bank/card information, for some reason it won't take it. I tried several things to fix it, but never thought it was worth the effort to call customer service. Now I get emails from them, saying that I never spend anything and that I should connect my card with my Mint account.

Anna Hu
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint has been so helpful with my budgeting and and changing my spending habits. It has really kept me on track with spending my money, and it is so helpful to see my trends in spending habits. It is so much easier to say no to unnecessary purchases while using Mint, and I definitely manage my money so much better now that I have this app.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

When I used this product, my biggest complaint is that it's way too broad. It doesn't allow me to make changes to the site to make it more conducive to my needs. It is easy to use, but if I have questions, there isn't anyone to ask. I wish there was a better support system.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Great help to me in tracking my expenses in one place. Easy to review things and help me to plan my budget.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've had this app for a few years now and I've been satisfied with it. I love how it syncs with my bank account and automatically updates; however, it can be difficult to use sometimes. In addition, occasionally I find some of my purchases not categorized correctly, which is really annoying.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Very easy to use and very comprehensive.

Trent
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Great site. I like how easy it is to connect all of my accounts in one place. It helps to use budgeting tools like this, and it's free!

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love mint, it has made my finances so much more manageable. Plus it’s free! Definitely worth a try.

RJ
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

Mint is great in helping me keep a budget. Although I understand why they need confidential bank information and that they do their best to protect it, I would like to see if there is a way to use their services in a limited fashion without that information.

David Lewis
April 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I use Mint daily to keep track of my expenses. I love the convenience that it provides. I have had a couple of issues with certain accounts frequently becoming disconnected, but nothing major.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love using Mint for my expense tracking! It is really easy to create a budget and it links to my credit cards and bank accounts so it is easy to monitor my spending.

Trent
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

They are great. It's easy to link all of my accounts and see where my money goes. I would use them more, but my bank has a similar service as well

Carolee AhPing
April 16th, 2018 Heber, UT

I love Mint. I have been using them for years. It's easy to use, free, and it has kept me on top of my finances. I have all of my accounts hooked up to it so it's easy to see where my money goes and to keep track of it.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love that it is free. Very similar to categorizing transactions in Quickbooks online. If you know how to build out your budget categories and if you keep up to date, it is a great option.

Alyssa
December 19th, 2017 Rowlett, TX DETAILS

My husband and I were introduced to Mint.com very early in our marriage and it was so easy to keep track of all of our finances, be on the same page, and get great data to know how we can improve on our monthly budget. It was a huge relief to me because before, finances and budgeting stressed me out. I shared it with all of my family members and many friends.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Great app to get on the same page with spending and saving with a spouse. Great tool for any couple to use for a budget and stay accountable

Lindsey
December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT

I use Mint now - I LOVE IT! Everything is in one spot, they are very user-friendly, and when I need to do my taxes on turbo tax, I can link up my Mint account to it. It is helpful if you want to pay off debts, make financial goals, etc. You don't have to pay for this service which is even better.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 5th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

My husband and I used Mint for the first few years of marriage as it was the best tool we could find. The user interface drastically changed for the better during our time using it. It became more visual and easy to use. However, it often takes days to upload transactions and often has issues loading the app. It would pull old data and made budgeting difficult to do since it would often not upload properly. It is not very customizable, which is our biggest complaint. You are stuck using their templates and cannot change to fit your own needs. It also miscategorizes many transactions, which makes the entire budget system less effective.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

Mint is a great resource to handle your budget and other expenses. My husband and I use it all the time. It can also be terrifying though....seeing what you spend your money on. That's what is great about it though!

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

Mint is great at tracking your expenses and helps you understand where you may be over or under budget!

Breanna Jones
June 8th, 2017 Herriman, UT

I use Mint to track my finances and help me budget. I like the ability to link up all of my accounts so I can view them all in one place. It is an easy way to check my finances. I check it more than I do my credit card and bank statements.

Spencer Barclay
January 27th, 2017 Brigham City, UT

Mint is an excellent platform for anyone to get a holistic view of their personal finances. The user interface is great and easy to use. The vast library of integrations improve the budgeting and goal setting tools. I recommend Mint to everyone that asks me a personal finance question.

Steve mcmahan
October 6th, 2016 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

As banks change their access processes, Mint is chronically slow at implementing those changes, rendering your access useless. While that is true, Quicken, also produced by the same parent company, never seem to mss a beat when the same problem exists. I happen to use both and the weaknesses of Mint don't seem to exist in Quicken; you would think they would use the same financial institution access tools but they don't. Also, Mint Customer service and especially their engineering support team rate a zero if that score was possible. In the three years I've used both products, Mint engineering has Never fixed one access problem. I've always had to delete access and restart the history to fix it myself, after more that 6 months of waiting. If you want a tool to manage your finances, be smart and purchase the $30 version of Quicken and avoid the "free" Mint program.