Udemy

5.3

Udemy is an e-learning platform for students seeking to begin or enhance their knowledge in almost any area imaginable with the mission to democratize skills based education and life-long learning. Udemy was founded in 2011, and its services are available in eleven different languages.

The Good

• Variety of courses
  • Money back guarantee

With an ever growing technological market, Udemy has almost anything you can imagine to learn in the technological field. They also offer an array of courses from health and fitness, make-up and beauty, academics, music, and even dog grooming. The list is almost endless in what you can learn from this site and most courses are on-demand and include a discussion board where students can interact with each other and instructors. Courses are fairly priced making it easy for everyone to have access in expanding their knowledge base.

Students enrolled in Udemy courses not purchased through their mobile apps are offered a 30-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee. Students can also submit requests for refunds in the event that courses and/or instructors are not satisfactory (though Udemy administrators monitor fraudulent claims extremely closely).

The Bad

• Instructor issues
  • Limitations

Udemy has some drawbacks for instructors and students alike. The company seems quite centered around instructors and their profitability. While this can be a great way for instructors/anyone to generate an income, having a marketing plan is imperative to the instructor's bottom line. While instructors are able to set their own prices for their courses, they are required to do all of their own promotion work; however, for 50% of the profit, instructors can also pay Udemy do promote their classes for them.

Also, many of the courses only supply a limited amount of information so students may need to do more research on their own, or enroll in more courses to complete their education which can be costly in the long run if the courses have charges. And as subscribers must pay by the course, rather than pay a subscription fee, users could end up paying considerably to receive a comprehensive education on a given suject. Finally, because anyone can upload content, the quality varies greatly.

The Bottom Line

This site holds a lot of information in a lot of different subjects. It's simple to use and covers so many different topics that it's almost impossible to not learn something new. Although their customer support is nearly impossible to reach, we're sure that most individuals will enjoy this site as there is something for everyone. Just be sure to do some research on the instructor prior to taking the class, as there is no guarantee that the teaching or course design will be of the highest quality.

3.2

Sue

September 7th, 2017 Houston, TX

Worst Customer service. ever. Do they even have customer service? No phone number works,. Support tickets are returned unanswered. They sure know how to take the money. But if you have questions or have a problem, you're screwed. What is wrong with these people?

Kenneth Okerlund

June 6th, 2017 Orem, UT

Udemy is absolutely great. They have great courses and they often have incredible discounts on them as well. Very great place to go to for learning a new subject on increasing your knowledge on one.

Mark Donahue

September 21st, 2016 Belleville, NJ

Udemy is a great website to use when you need to learn about a particular skill from marketing to project to management to physical fitness. They offer many options on classes and many of them are low cost or even free. They offer specials that come to your email and it's really easy to follow along and take. I've taken tons of Udemy courses and I love them. I would highly recommend them.

Ashley Rosen

September 16th, 2016 Lyndhurst, NJ

Udemy is my favorite place to work on classes. They have specials all the time where they offer discounted or even free classes. I really like that because I am able to work on new classes whenever possible.

Bruce Knipe

August 16th, 2016

After their selling me on the idea of paying for a course that I could have access to for life I purchased over 20 courses. Less than a year later I'm informed I must sign a new user agreement or lose access to my account and courses. When confronting support with this I'm at first assured that's not the case, but with a bit of persistence I'm now told if I don't agree to the new terms I lose access to my account and courses and I that they will not get any refund whether I've used them yet or not even though they are the ones restricting my access unless I bow to their blackmail tactics.

Jay Durham

December 4th, 2015 Pleasant Grove, UT

This is a great learning site! I've learned better excel skills, html, basic coding, and all sorts of other things here. There are subjects ranging from personal branding, productivity, cheap travel, cooking, and body language. There really is something here for everyone! If you join their email list there are sales where you can get courses that are normally $hundreds for $10 and $19. The pay as you go model is very attractive to me because you only pay for what you want to learn, and it's not a rebill. To anyone who wants to learn a wide variety of subjects, I highly recommend this site.