Khan Academy Logo

7.6

In 2006, Salman Khan founded the Khan Academy, a not-for-profit educational organization with a mission to offer a free, world-class education to anyone with access to the web. With course subjects ranging from the sciences to the arts, Khan Academy classes are comprised of hundreds of short videos (usually around seven minutes) and step-by-step equations. They strive to provide learners with an online community in which they can learn at a personal pace while engaging in useful, everyday material.

Skillshare Logo
#1 Skillshare chevron_right
2.2
ACT Online Prep Logo
#3 ACT Online Prep chevron_right
KelbyOne Logo
#4 KelbyOne chevron_right
2.8

The Good

• Free
  • Content
The best part about Khan Academy is that it is free and available to anyone, anywhere. There are no contracts, no hidden fees and no pricing for individual courses. Furthermore, students are able to dial-in on subjects where they need the most help or the most review and can use as much time as necessary before moving on. The content provided is easy to comprehend, fun to learn and it is clear that the creators of Khan Academy had young, high-energy students in mind when creating the site. All information is delivered in a straightforward manner, even when teaching complex topics, and this helps students gain a feeling of ownership and control over their learning. With the inclusion of a coach-lead option, teachers and parents can monitor the progress of their children while also engaging in a social, more hands-on approach to learning.

The Bad

• Limitations
Naturally, with any company that offers its services for free, you are bound to run into some limitations. Khan is largely funded by wealthy donors such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, but it is unclear how sustainable the model will be. The company also relies heavily upon volunteers who willing and able to translate their classes into other languages, or provide other forms of online support. Accessing useful customer support with Khan Academy is not easy. If there is a problem, question or concern, students and coaches are directed to a help page full of other users issues. While none of these issues necessarily affect the quality of the education they are providing for free, customers should be aware that Khan Academy is a publicly-funded non-profit, and therefore lack some of the techy bells and whistles touted by other companies.

The Bottom Line

As far as online learning goes, Khan Academy may be one of the best. Students are able to learn complex subjects through an understandable, relatable and efficient approach, all for no price. With online discussion forums, students, teachers and parents can connect with peers to evaluate, ask questions and provide advice for road bumps that are inevitable in the world of education. Though the company itself may not be easily reached, Khan Academy offers the help of fellow learners and educators to solve problems. What's best about this program is that all students can learn at their own pace, choose the subjects they desire and are never tested on a pass-fail basis. Khan Academy is the epitome of what online learning looks like.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

I used Khan Academy a lot in high school. I would love it when teachers would assign us to do Khan Academy. The lessons were easy and if I didn't understand something it gave a good explanation.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I have used Khan Academy for years to help me through tough to understand lessons in school. Their lessons are comprehensive, easy to access, and best of all... free.

Bergen Billings Smithfield, UT

I did not think this was the worst online tool I have ever used but it was difficult to understand. What it wanted me to do was unclear. I used to get extremely frustrated until I had a teacher step in and explain everything to me.

take7 Sandy, UT

Not just for test prep for every day study and keeping up with your grade level work! The helps and videos are so clear and helpful. I encourage my kids to do it on vacation and whenever they need extra "tutoring". It is self explanatory and easy to follow. When my kids prep for a test they do extra work problems on Khan to really clarify and cement their knowledge.

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is the reason why I passed Organic Chemistry! The videos are super helpful and explains everything in detail so you can really understad the concepts. There is literally every subject and concept that Khan academy goes over and it literally blows my mind. The tutors in the video has never steered me wrong and explains better than alot of my professers at my university

Destiny Wyche Tampa, FL

This a great tool for learning any material one may not have fully understood in their core subjects in class. As classrooms sizes are gradually growing, it has become a problem to get that one-on-one help, however, khan academy offers an interactive way to solve that issue. The modules are easy to access and there are activities that cater to most, if not all, learning styles.

Jaci Rhoades , TX

Khan was what got me through organic chemistry. if I got stuck on a problem all I had to do was search Khan academy and I always found the answer. With Crystal clear explanations not complex chemistry explanations.

eunj ,

Khan got me through the worst semester of advanced level math in my life, and I couldn't be more thankful for the public-domain nature of these lessons. Very informative and easy to follow.

Nishita McLean, VA

Very reliable, really good user interface, excellent content, extremely intuitive, the knowledge checks immediately at the end of the courses help gauge the transfer of knowledge.

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

Oh my heck, there is a place in heaven reserved for Sal Khan and his crew. They have saved more grades than anyone can count. Really simple format and I don't know why, but the fact that you can earn badges and "grow" your avatar is so motivating for some reason.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy has some of the hardest practice questions I've ever come cross...but that is good. Their videos are super helpful and really cover the information in great detail. I always go on Khan academy when I need help with my STEM classes.

Trey Farner Norcross, GA

In elementary school I was always really bad at doing English work. Through Kahn academy I was able to study my weakest subject and catch back up to the rest of my class. I really recommend this site to anyone looking for something to help tutor them back to speed

hmarashi Newark, NJ

Khan academy will probably be responsible for a good quarter of my degree. This service is invaluable for all students and learners. I’ve used khan academy for every single course i’ve taken to reinforce my knowledge.Their premium program also has quizzes and tests to help you prepare for your classes.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy has helped me very much throughout my classes! Really helpful! They have allowed me to understand math and science! I am not good at math and sometimes it is difficult to find a good tutor but they are available online for many subjects.

Anne Tallahassee, FL

This helped me greatly while in high school and even during college. The instructors are very well educated and explain topics very well. They made extremely hard topics easy to understand. I sometimes learned more from them than I did from some of my instructors.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

KHAN ACADEMY IS INCREDIBLE. It helped me so much to understand biology, and so many other classes that I took in college. Mainly Chemistry and Biology. Better than my professor taught it and I understood it better. Would highly recommend.

Holly Brown Biloxi, MS

I have been using khan academy since I was in elementary school, using it to learn more complex areas of study, and continued using it through my high school, helping me with calculus and standardized test. Never have had any problems, and its easy to use website made it so much easier.

Honey LeBlanc Pass Christian, MS

I use Khan Academy as an extra resource to help my math students. The videos are short enough to keep the students' attention and are very thorough. I find it to be such a valuable site that I donate monthly to them to help keep it running.

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

I used Khan academy throughout high school to prepare for my SAT. A lot of the practices utilized both videos and sample problems to help me practice for the upcoming tests. I liked that the practice problems were interactive and that if i needed help, there was a video to aid me. Khan Academy also gave me feedback on my responses and why an answer was better than another. I enjoyed the website to help me prepare for my SAT test but i did feel as if some articles were uninteresting.

Tochica Baptiste Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy has helped me tremendously during my college academic years. Khan Academy is for the people and by the people. This free educational platform is terrific for those looking to brush up on subjects like science, math, the humanities, and more, but if you want something a little more advanced, that's where the fun stops. Khan is limited by its free nature, but thankfully, there are plenty of other options out there for you to try.

Vanessa Hansen Payson, UT

I LOVE Khan Academy. I’ve been studying for the GRE and the way math is explained is the best I’ve found-and I’ve tried several GRE prep courses. He just explains things in a way that works! Can’t say enough good. It’s like the best encyclopedia and teacher in your own living room.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

Khan Academy is an incredbly reliable source for either preparing for SAT/ACT as well as many of the numerous topics they have videos on. Khan Academy has helped be gain a better understanding specifically regarding hypothesis testing, the equations and how they relate to real world applications during the 2019 Fall semester.

Connor Farmington, UT

I always used Khan Academy for videos to help with every subject in my high school courses, so it seemed natural to turn to them for ACT prep. They provide extremely fun and easy to watch videos that teach core skills and tricks to do your best on the big test.

Rilynne Edwards Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Khan Academy! Their videos are so helpful. As my ACT test date slowly arrived, I spent hours binge watching all of their videos. It helped me gain a better understanding of basic concepts for math. I could focus on what I needed to learn rather than flipping through a flashcard set of things I already know.

Violet Acosta Stewart Gulfport, MS

It helps me a ton with math and his been a life saver on multiple occasions. I struggle with math quite often and Khan academy has really helped me understand alot more.

Patricia Broadus Long Beach, MS

This website is amazing!! I was never that great at math and anytime that I was struggling I went to Khan Academy. The lessons are clearly explained and very helpful!

Jass Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy is a good tool to use when you need a better understanding after class or when you need a quick refresher. It’s just like a regular lecture and offers help in many subjects.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Khan academy was my go to resource to re-learn calculus after taking a break from high school to college. They have the best walk throughs, very easy to learn math with them!

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

SUPER HELPFUL FOR STEM STUDENTS! In college, I used this learning site so much! It's super informative and the tutors really go into depth in the videos. Any student struggling in class should definitely try this out!

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

I used Khan Academy to prepare for all of my Advanced Placement exams in high school and they really do have great study materials. I felt very prepared going into my exams and my scores reflected that.

Jackson Barousse Irving, TX

Khan Academy helped me with my math courses. When i’m at home and don’t have a teacher to help, I open Khan Academy and their instructional videos give me a deeper understanding of the topic i’m learning!

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy is a wonderful company. They have helped me get through so a wide variety of courses starting in highschool and even now in medical school I still use some of their resources and videos 10/10

June Cazier Layton, UT

Khan Academy is awesome! It's my go to to whenever I have a question about school. I've used it mainly to answer my math and science questions but I know it has a lot of more applications. It has been so helpful and several times has saved me hours by simplifying the process for me.

GS95ER Baytown, TX

Incredible job at explaining difficult material in a way that makes learning so much easier. Being able to follow along at your own pace, and rewind if needed is a blessing compared to in-person lectures.

Jenna Bagley American Fork, UT

Khan Academy has helped me learn so much and has information on so many broad and niche topics. Definitely worth the money whether test prepping or just looking to increase your knowledge base.

Matthew Hall Gulfport, MS

I love the interaction of Khan Academy, insuring that children get all the learning they need and if they still don't understand there are lessons assigned to kids that need extra help. It helped me, it will help others!

Gabriel Chappell Luling, LA

Khan Academy helped me learn algebra in middle school my school payed for it and I liked it a lot if you have a question that they don't answer post it to the live board and they will answer in about 2-3 hours, only thing is some lessons they don't have all the instructors but they have instructors that go with your pace. Great thing trust me.

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

Khan Academy is so helpful and useful to my learning. The videos of people doing examples and teaching lessons really is helpful when i don't understand a specific topic that i am suppose to learn

Dayjah Fort Lauderdale, FL

Khan Academy was very helpful with preparing me for exams during college. Whenever I did not fully understand a topic taught in class Khan Academy's videos broke everything down into a manner that was easier to understand for me. I would totally recommend to any student who is struggling in the department of fully grasping the concepts that are being taught in class.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

For any high school and college students this will save you money and time. Time from failing and time from studying unnessary steps. Khan Academy has helped me pass my math and chemistry courses. Amazing!

Olivia Orlando, FL

Khan Academy has been very helpful with all forms of test prep. Having visual learning tools, as provided through published videos, I have gained understanding for future test.

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEEE KHAN ACADEMY. If I could rate this more than 5 stars I would! This website is truly a life saver when it comes to my classes. It helped me pass my College Biology class with a B+.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

The Khan Academy SAT prep was very helpful! They had great strategies for approaches to questions that definitely improved my score each time I took the SAT. I did not use their prep until my second and third attempt, and it really made a difference in my score!

Emily Tallahassee, FL

I love online video tools, it is great to review old things even for my current classes and it helps me refresh for my standardized tests.

Madelyn Gulfport, MS

Khan Academy is a very helpful app in different school subjects. The videos are extremely helpful, and I like that you can repeat lessons as many times as you want.

Laurie Massie Lakeland, FL

Khan Academy provided AMAZING help for my son in math & science to get him ready for both ACT and in class work. Thanks!!

Austin Hysmith Long Beach, MS

This is a good website/app to use. It helps teach you how to solve your math problems and also provides videos to aid you.

William Burkett Gulfport, MS

Through out my time in junior high I used khan academy to help teach me basics in pre algebra and algebra. Khan academy gave me a broader understanding of what he subjects.

Jake Baleyev Madison, MS

A very useful, & free site for education. Always has the stuff you need when learning. Although presentation, & unique learning experiences are often clunky.

Nathan Shupe Jackson, MS

Khan academy has helped me in so many ways, from math to reading its the best way to learn how to do something in just 5 mins