Khan Academy Logo

8.2

LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2021
In 2006, Salman Khan founded the Khan Academy, a not-for-profit educational organization with a mission to offer a free, world-class education to anyone with access to the web. With course subjects ranging from the sciences to the arts, Khan Academy classes are comprised of hundreds of short videos (usually around seven minutes) and step-by-step equations. They strive to provide learners with an online community in which they can learn at a personal pace while engaging in useful, everyday material.

Skillshare Logo
#2 Skillshare chevron_right
2.3
ACT Online Prep Logo
#3 ACT Online Prep chevron_right

The Good

• Free
  • Content
The best part about Khan Academy is that it is free and available to anyone, anywhere. There are no contracts, no hidden fees and no pricing for individual courses. Furthermore, students are able to dial-in on subjects where they need the most help or the most review and can use as much time as necessary before moving on. The content provided is easy to comprehend, fun to learn and it is clear that the creators of Khan Academy had young, high-energy students in mind when creating the site. All information is delivered in a straightforward manner, even when teaching complex topics, and this helps students gain a feeling of ownership and control over their learning. With the inclusion of a coach-lead option, teachers and parents can monitor the progress of their children while also engaging in a social, more hands-on approach to learning.

The Bad

• Limitations
Naturally, with any company that offers its services for free, you are bound to run into some limitations. Khan is largely funded by wealthy donors such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, but it is unclear how sustainable the model will be. The company also relies heavily upon volunteers who willing and able to translate their classes into other languages, or provide other forms of online support. Accessing useful customer support with Khan Academy is not easy. If there is a problem, question or concern, students and coaches are directed to a help page full of other users issues. While none of these issues necessarily affect the quality of the education they are providing for free, customers should be aware that Khan Academy is a publicly-funded non-profit, and therefore lack some of the techy bells and whistles touted by other companies.

The Bottom Line

As far as online learning goes, Khan Academy may be one of the best. Students are able to learn complex subjects through an understandable, relatable and efficient approach, all for no price. With online discussion forums, students, teachers and parents can connect with peers to evaluate, ask questions and provide advice for road bumps that are inevitable in the world of education. Though the company itself may not be easily reached, Khan Academy offers the help of fellow learners and educators to solve problems. What's best about this program is that all students can learn at their own pace, choose the subjects they desire and are never tested on a pass-fail basis. Khan Academy is the epitome of what online learning looks like.

4.8

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love that Khan Academy offers a vast amount of courses, practice exams, and tutoring for students. I use Khan Academy to study for my science exams and to quickly brush up on information before quizzes and exams. I have also used Khan Academy for SAT test prep because they have lots of practice exams and helpful tips available to those who want to study for the SAT and/or improve their score.

Ja'Mia Brown Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is amazing! My teacher introduced it to me in middle school and I've been using it ever since. It even has videos for college courses! The videos are all very detailed and easy to follow.

Kayla M. Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is great. Being a college student taking difficult courses, often times id find myself teaching myself the material. Khan academy has helped me to learn so much and made the difficult subjects more digestible

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

Khan Academy is an amazing company for free studying and test prep resources. I love using their videos for standardized tests and academic classes. They present content in a straightforward and easy to understand manner which is very helpful. Their website is also very easy to manage.

Alyson R American Fork, UT

I have really appreciated the many great resources on Kahn Academy for both me and my children. I like being able to learn about so many topics and for the math placement quizzes that help you know what you have learned and what you still need to master. I also appreciate the dashboard that shows clearly where you are in the classes you are taking.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Great for all grade levels. It covers all subjects including coding. The videos are helpful as well as the hints. You can post questions under videos if you are confused and earn points and badges, which makes it fun.

Spencer M Meridian, ID

Khan Academy has a lot of great learning platforms. It has videos, quizzes, and several other things to keep you engaged. However, I don't think it is very well suited for kids- not many kid-friendly game types of things. But, it is completely free! None of that annoying "upgrade to premium now!" stuff.

Kylene McCune Meridian, ID

Khan Academy helped me a lot in math. When I didn't understand how my teacher was explaining the material, I watched Khan Academy videos and it helped me get an A in the class!

Stephanie Nwaobi Tallahassee, FL

One of THE BEST academic websites one may come across. From teaching you concepts in specific classes like 3rd grade math or AP World History to simply giving you a platform to study for the SATs. I owe a lot to Khan Academy.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Khan Academy is truly the holy grail. As a college student living through a pandemic and having to teach myself many courses almost entirely on my own, this site has saved me. The organic chemistry videos are the only reason I got a good grade! I'm so happy to see their newer MCAT prep channel as well; it feels to good to be free!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been using Khan Academy as supplemental education for my university classes. I have greatly improved my understanding and conceptualization of various different classes. I will continue to use Khan Academy in the future for its way of simplifying complex material in a digestible fashion.

Gabrielle Civil Chapel Hill, NC

Khan Academy is so helpful in a wide range of subjects! This has saved my grades so many times with the unlimited amount of videos, practice problems, and practice quizzes. It also has a great feature that tracks your progress and highlights areas that you may need more work on.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Khan Academy provides free tutoring for kids of all ages and has videos that walk through almost any subject they need help with. It could be math, science, English, and more. They even provide free SAT practice for college students to get those scores they need for college! Khan Academy makes it so easy to get that extra help!

Jazmyne Tallahassee, FL

When using Khan Academy my confidence was boosted due to my performance being advanced by what I learned from the help of Khan Academy. The help of Khan Academy not only helped me with my performance but also with test prep and studying material in my courses.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is one of the top online learning sources. They go into detail with each topic to make it comprehensive for their learners and are experts in every subject. I have used Khan academy for several years and my grades have only improved because of it.

Carson Thompson Laramie, WY

I loooove the mission and philosophy of Khan Academy. The content is also incredibly helpful. My biggest wish is that they would keep expanding their content.

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

This is the best way to learn new ways to pass anything. There videos are always helpful In my academic career and helped me in the pass to pass my science/math classes.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy is very useful and has been something that I have utilized throughout my high school and college career, specifically my high school. The resource helped me a lot with my AP courses.

alexisblige Tallahassee, FL

I used Khan Academy a lot through high school, specifically to understand concepts in pre-calc. Recorded videos on youtube were always quite thorough and slower paced, making it easy to follow along and understand the work behind the problem solving.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Khan Academy is the sole reason I passed Organic Chemistry. The videos simplify the information so much, making it easy to understand. Khan Academy is easy to navigate as well. If you don't want to navigate it, then you can simply type in your search engine the topic you need and then Khan Academy and plenty of helpful resources will pull up.

Sharrell Colleton Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy has helped me with both math and science course I have taken. The website is very easy to use and breaks down the different subjects to make it easier for me to find what I’m looking for.

amari sims Tallahassee, FL

Throughout all of my classes in my academic career, Khan Academy has helped me through almost all of them. Whether it was SAT Prep, math, science, or reading, khan academy was extremely helpful.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy does a great job explaining material in detail. There is also a quiz option so you can test yourself on the information. If you are ever feeling stuck on a concept I would recommend you try Khan Academy first.

Aiyana Brown FL

As a sometimes struggling student, i LOVE khan academy. it makes seemingly hard topics so much easier and more digestible and has 100 help to improve my grades in multiple classes

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy is super helpful when it comes to preparing for the SAT. I really like that they give mimic practice exams on online to prepare students for the real ones including the timing.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I really like this site. It helps with with areas of study that I struggle with. The best part is the extra practice I get from watching videos and doing the practice problems. It is easy to use. I would recommend to family and friends.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Incredible resource for learning about a million different topics from math to science and many others. Well spoked instructors that make the learning engaging and much easier to grasp. I used regularly from high school through college.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Khan Academy is the unlocked treasure for college students! I highly suggest STEM majors utilize this platform, especially when it comes to taking tough courses such as chemistry and physiology. Khan Academy helped me go from a D- to a B+ in general chemistry I, which was tough to do. I also love how Khan Academy is totally free and has an app too. It tracks your progress and activity every day that you log in.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Love their lessons! Very easy to follow videos with readable handwriting and soothing voice. The written lessons are also easy to follow and learn the material. Additionally, the courses and material they cover is very broad and if there is a concept you don't understand, they're highly likely to cover it, which is great. And it's free! Which is the best part

Sierra Nixon Tallahassee, FL

I used Khan Academy to help me pass Biology 2 in college. I wouldn't have passed the course without it. I highly recommend this service to all ages.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy has given me nothing but positive experiences. I would encourage all college students to use it! It helps from anywhere from biology to organic chemistry.

Emily Guareno Tallahassee, FL

I used this to study for my SAT and it helped improve my score! They have every subject or topic you might lack in. They have videos, as well, teaching how to do things.

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

I used KhanAcademy within high school to study for the SAT and found it so helpful! I was able to confidently answer the material on the SAT from the help of Khanacademy.

Alancea Gonzalez Tallahassee, FL

Great with helping me prepare for various subjects and also helping me prepare for SAT and ACT prep. Would greatly recommend it for college and high school students.

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy is a life saver! I specifically used it for my math courses and it honestly helped me get good grades, especially when my teachers didn't teach as well.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Khan Academy provides first-rate tutorials and academic programs for students. This has been especially helpful during the last two school years and fills the need for online learning.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

We use Khan Academy to supplement our homeschool. Not only do I use it for my children's schooling, but I frequently use it to either learn something new or keep my existing skills sharp,

r vido Provo, UT

Khan Academy was awesome to use in my generals! I didn't get the math in my courses very well, but their video lessons made it so much easy to understand and I even got an A on my midterm!

rohanna meikle Jacksonville, FL

My experience with khan Academy is excellent . It has useful tools and valuable information.

Tequanda Jackson Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy helped teach many topics and was a good source to study from for preparing for the reading portion of the SAT

Tomi Onikeku Tallahassee, FL

I used this site to study for my SATs. I can honestly say it helped a lot. The practice questions really prepared me for the test.

Laila Hayes Tallahassee, FL

I love Khan Academy! It helps walk you through a problem if you got it incorrect and there are educational videos on almost every topic imaginable.

Matt Clark Nampa, ID

Great site for learning a little bit about anything! I love how understandable their videos are.

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

My life saver in. nursing school. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Jada Urquhart Tallahassee, FL

I use Khan Academy when studying for tests and the SAT. It is very helpful and throughly prepares you for assessments.

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

This company is very useful for those in grade school and it comes in handy when assessing and leaning specific tasks.

Ruth Jeanmary Tallahassee, FL

In high school, we heavily used khan academy for all of our subjects. It always helped with understanding my subjects better.

A'mari Johnson Ocala, FL

This helps me understand math and sometimes science. It’s a great resource for me to use when studying.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I used Khan Academy all throughout high school to study for exams and learn material for classes. It definitely made a difference in my understanding of content and overall grades!

Dami San Antonio, TX

It was extremely helpful to me when I was preparing for my SAT