Khan Academy Logo

6.5

LAST UPDATED: July 4th, 2022
In 2006, Salman Khan founded the Khan Academy, a not-for-profit educational organization with a mission to offer a free, world-class education to anyone with access to the web. With course subjects ranging from the sciences to the arts, Khan Academy classes are comprised of hundreds of short videos (usually around seven minutes) and step-by-step equations. They strive to provide learners with an online community in which they can learn at a personal pace while engaging in useful, everyday material.

ACT Online Prep Logo
#3 ACT Online Prep chevron_right
Skillshare Logo
#4 Skillshare chevron_right
2.4

The Good

• Free
  • Content
The best part about Khan Academy is that it is free and available to anyone, anywhere. There are no contracts, no hidden fees and no pricing for individual courses. Furthermore, students are able to dial-in on subjects where they need the most help or the most review and can use as much time as necessary before moving on. The content provided is easy to comprehend, fun to learn and it is clear that the creators of Khan Academy had young, high-energy students in mind when creating the site. All information is delivered in a straightforward manner, even when teaching complex topics, and this helps students gain a feeling of ownership and control over their learning. With the inclusion of a coach-lead option, teachers and parents can monitor the progress of their children while also engaging in a social, more hands-on approach to learning.

The Bad

• Limitations
Naturally, with any company that offers its services for free, you are bound to run into some limitations. Khan is largely funded by wealthy donors such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, but it is unclear how sustainable the model will be. The company also relies heavily upon volunteers who willing and able to translate their classes into other languages, or provide other forms of online support. Accessing useful customer support with Khan Academy is not easy. If there is a problem, question or concern, students and coaches are directed to a help page full of other users issues. While none of these issues necessarily affect the quality of the education they are providing for free, customers should be aware that Khan Academy is a publicly-funded non-profit, and therefore lack some of the techy bells and whistles touted by other companies.

The Bottom Line

As far as online learning goes, Khan Academy may be one of the best. Students are able to learn complex subjects through an understandable, relatable and efficient approach, all for no price. With online discussion forums, students, teachers and parents can connect with peers to evaluate, ask questions and provide advice for road bumps that are inevitable in the world of education. Though the company itself may not be easily reached, Khan Academy offers the help of fellow learners and educators to solve problems. What's best about this program is that all students can learn at their own pace, choose the subjects they desire and are never tested on a pass-fail basis. Khan Academy is the epitome of what online learning looks like.

Rakim Carpenter Tulsa, OK

recommend every household use their services to help kids and adults with learning new and old ways of learning Tooktheir personal finance class And been doing a lot better with my Monies

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I use Khan Academy for absolutely everything! As a teacher, I can use it to add a diversity of practice problems for my students to be able to complete anywhere. Khan Academy also links directly to Google classroom, making it easy to link or import grades for activities you assign through Khan. I also use Khan Academy for my own children. When they are struggling and need more practice, I always recommend Khan Academy first. Lastly, I have used it for myself quite a few times. When attending college, I would use their various math or science material to review concepts or topics I needed to have a firm grasp on for new classes I was taking and it really helped me feel more confident in my higher level math classes.

Connor Smith Tallahassee, FL

Over my many years of schooling I have always found peace in knowing that even with my hardest classes I will be able to find the topic on their site explained perfectly through a well constructed video. Which in itself is my biggest pro of the company: their vast wealth of videos and tutorial they have to offer. One thing I would love for them to improve on though is the format of the videos, possibly having a more interesting layout or a different style of teaching . Besides that small nitpick though, this company has always served me well!

Shopman Herriman, UT

I love Khan Academy! I have used it for all of my kids to learn my different subjects. The video are super easy to understand and do a great job teaching you. My kids were motivated to get all the points and have full mastery of each subject. I get weekly emails with my kids progress. That helped me to encourage them more when we weren't as diligent in using the program.

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

These are probably some of the best videos out there of an educational nature. I teach mathematics and use these with my students in class and also to further my own learning. The topics that he goes into delve well beyond high school maths or other subjects. There is a wealth of material that if you are studying for a particular course, you should def use.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

Very good for learning or sharpening your skills, I mainly use this for practicing or learning math concepts and computer programming, and it has helped my greately. It has taught me a good amount of CSS and HTML in a short amount of time. It has badges and avatars that you can get when you progress on courses. And there are energy points which you earn when you complete things. In my experience all of the videos are very clear and teach you was you want to be taught in a perfect amount of time. It keeps track of all your progress through courses and is perfect for all skill levels. So you if you want to learn or sharpen up a skill or concept, Khan Academy is a good option for you.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

Khan Academy is an amazing company for free studying and test prep resources. I love using their videos for standardized tests and academic classes. They present content in a straightforward and easy to understand manner which is very helpful. Their website is also very easy to manage.

anna blaser CA

I love Khan Academy. I used it when I was a kid, and I continue to use it now that I’m older. Their videos are helpful and easy to understand. I also enjoy the usage of colors, because it helps me to remember what I need to know.

Heather Riverton, UT

My son used Khan Academy in the 7th Grade. His math teacher suggested he use it as he was above the grade level/class options he had to take at that time. The teacher worked with my son as well and it was very helpful for my son to continue to excel.

emblair Herriman, UT

Such an amazing tutoring service! My youngest loves Khan Academy Kids, my teens have used Khan Academy countless times when they come home with questions that don't quite make sense at school, and I've even used it to brush up my algebra skills to help said teenagers who need a little extra help outside of school. Great product and great service!

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Khan Acadamy over the past six years, and I grow more and more impressed each time I use the sight. Lessons are clearly labeled and each math subject is taught in a way that makes it very easy for students to understand.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

This website is very helpful. This site clearly explains how to solve very complex math problems. Students can go on and get extra help with their math homework. It is especially useful when the teachers are unable to help their students.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Khan Academy really helped me to catch up in math and be prepared. I skipped seventh grade math, so I went back and did all the lessons and I was able to catch up and be ready in time for school to start. The videos are very helpful as well as the practice lessons.

Michigander101 Macomb, MI

I’ve used Khan Academy with my online college courses and it is very helpful. Lots of knowledge to share with the world! The educational videos are easy to use and understand. The website is well designed for easy accessibility.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Khan Academy is the unlocked treasure for college students! I highly suggest STEM majors utilize this platform, especially when it comes to taking tough courses such as chemistry and physiology. Khan Academy helped me go from a D- to a B+ in general chemistry I, which was tough to do. I also love how Khan Academy is totally free and has an app too. It tracks your progress and activity every day that you log in.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

I've used Khan Academy to learn basic programming (HTML, CSS, Javascript, databases, APIs) which helped me transition from a Business Analyst preparing cold, dreadful business requirements to an integrated Product Owner who was able to better communicate with a team of full stack, front end, and back end devs. I've donated to Khan Academy the same as I have Wikipedia - both are incredible resources that have saved me over time. Khan does not FEEL free either - they have great production, project files, and guides for making sure you're successful. God bless Khan Academy.

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

I love that Khan Academy offers a vast amount of courses, practice exams, and tutoring for students. I use Khan Academy to study for my science exams and to quickly brush up on information before quizzes and exams. I have also used Khan Academy for SAT test prep because they have lots of practice exams and helpful tips available to those who want to study for the SAT and/or improve their score.

Alyson R American Fork, UT

I have really appreciated the many great resources on Kahn Academy for both me and my children. I like being able to learn about so many topics and for the math placement quizzes that help you know what you have learned and what you still need to master. I also appreciate the dashboard that shows clearly where you are in the classes you are taking.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I have used Khan academy many times to help me with problems that are difficult to solve it’s a very good website as it gives a great explanation for difficult problems

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Great for all grade levels. It covers all subjects including coding. The videos are helpful as well as the hints. You can post questions under videos if you are confused and earn points and badges, which makes it fun.

Sydney Buena Vista, VA

I absolutely love Khan academy. I have been using it forever and it grows with you helps you learn, and even keeps track of what you are doing wrong and how you can change, plus it's free!

Lindsey Haight Logan, UT

There is so much knowledge here and it's amazing that it's free! I used Khan Academy a lot as I was a math tutor for an online school. It was very helpful to be able to see outlined steps of the math problems when we needed to. Most of the videos were very well put together too.

Korinne C Riverton, UT

Kahn Academy is a great resource for my kids and helping them with homework! The amount of work that has gone into it is amazing and so helpful. I don't remember how to do everything from my school days so it is great!

Timothy Rich Herriman, UT

I really like how they have short videos that teaches you a specific subject and then they do a few examples to demonstrate how you use the method or skill that you just learned.

Shreyash Shrestha Herriman, UT

This is an amazing site for learning. Khan academy helped me pass so many tests. They is almost always something that will help. There are so many different options to enhance your learning.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

Khan Academy has a plethora of information and my high schooler has gotten a lot of answers from it. I found the program is harder for my elementary age kids. There was too much information given too quickly. It would be very helpful if it was slowed down and shown very simple examples and then work up to more complicated examples. But we truly appreciate that he is willing to share his knowledge.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I really like this site. It helps with with areas of study that I struggle with. The best part is the extra practice I get from watching videos and doing the practice problems. It is easy to use. I would recommend to family and friends.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Incredible resource for learning about a million different topics from math to science and many others. Well spoked instructors that make the learning engaging and much easier to grasp. I used regularly from high school through college.

Rachelle Orlando, FL

Wasn’t a fan at first only because of their lack of fun and interactive nature of lessons. Most of the time you’re just watching a boring video of the topic explained but recently with online learning and stuff, as a teacher they have become very useful in the classroom. They are simple, to the point and easy to get around to different subtopics on an overarching lesson. My sister loves them. I love the broad age range they target with their videos and such and the examples and questions they give to ensure learning. A more colorful, inviting user face wouldn’t hurt.

KG Lebanon, NJ

Khan academy has been essential for myself and for my daughter. We have accessed Khan Academy for videos and for instructions on how to do math problems many times! It’s a great website and it’s even more awesome because all of that information is available for free!

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

Khan Academy has a lesson for just about every school topic you can think of. I used their services in middle and high school, and continue to use it in university. Their SAT prep helped me get a 1350 my first try so I value the impact of their training.

Stephanie Nwaobi Tallahassee, FL

One of THE BEST academic websites one may come across. From teaching you concepts in specific classes like 3rd grade math or AP World History to simply giving you a platform to study for the SATs. I owe a lot to Khan Academy.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Khan Academy is truly the holy grail. As a college student living through a pandemic and having to teach myself many courses almost entirely on my own, this site has saved me. The organic chemistry videos are the only reason I got a good grade! I'm so happy to see their newer MCAT prep channel as well; it feels to good to be free!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been using Khan Academy as supplemental education for my university classes. I have greatly improved my understanding and conceptualization of various different classes. I will continue to use Khan Academy in the future for its way of simplifying complex material in a digestible fashion.

Gabrielle Civil Chapel Hill, NC

Khan Academy is so helpful in a wide range of subjects! This has saved my grades so many times with the unlimited amount of videos, practice problems, and practice quizzes. It also has a great feature that tracks your progress and highlights areas that you may need more work on.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Khan Academy provides free tutoring for kids of all ages and has videos that walk through almost any subject they need help with. It could be math, science, English, and more. They even provide free SAT practice for college students to get those scores they need for college! Khan Academy makes it so easy to get that extra help!

Jazmyne Tallahassee, FL

When using Khan Academy my confidence was boosted due to my performance being advanced by what I learned from the help of Khan Academy. The help of Khan Academy not only helped me with my performance but also with test prep and studying material in my courses.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is one of the top online learning sources. They go into detail with each topic to make it comprehensive for their learners and are experts in every subject. I have used Khan academy for several years and my grades have only improved because of it.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Love their lessons! Very easy to follow videos with readable handwriting and soothing voice. The written lessons are also easy to follow and learn the material. Additionally, the courses and material they cover is very broad and if there is a concept you don't understand, they're highly likely to cover it, which is great. And it's free! Which is the best part

take7 Sandy, UT

Not just for test prep for every day study and keeping up with your grade level work! The helps and videos are so clear and helpful. I encourage my kids to do it on vacation and whenever they need extra "tutoring". It is self explanatory and easy to follow. When my kids prep for a test they do extra work problems on Khan to really clarify and cement their knowledge.

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

Khan academy is the reason why I passed Organic Chemistry! The videos are super helpful and explains everything in detail so you can really understad the concepts. There is literally every subject and concept that Khan academy goes over and it literally blows my mind. The tutors in the video has never steered me wrong and explains better than alot of my professers at my university

Destiny Wyche Tampa, FL

This a great tool for learning any material one may not have fully understood in their core subjects in class. As classrooms sizes are gradually growing, it has become a problem to get that one-on-one help, however, khan academy offers an interactive way to solve that issue. The modules are easy to access and there are activities that cater to most, if not all, learning styles.

Caroline Fowler Little Rock, AR

Khan Academy is a great tool for introducing students to new concepts or reinforcing a concept that has already been taught. The step-by-step tutorials are clear and the videos are helpful.

Aurora Mcgee Riverton, UT

Khan academy is really useful for explaining and practicing concepts. The videos are engaging and easy to understand. Sometimes the videos are a little long, but overall they aren’t.

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

This website we a lifesaver when it comes to math. My math teacher has been very poor at teaching me but with khan academy I can keep up with my studies.

Brynlee Dalton Herriman, UT

Khan Academy has helped me so much with my schooling. Whenever I don't understand, or I need to review, I always turn to Khan Academy. Khan Academy has never let me down.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Used it for my kids and I think they do a good job of explaining the learning needs to kids well. I like that they contribute a lot to youtube for quick references as well. I like the site, especially with regard to math.

Clay Thurgood Salt Lake City, UT

Are use this to get a head of mine came in math and it was extremely useful because it helped by breaking down the problems and explained their parts.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Khan Academy provides first-rate tutorials and academic programs for students. This has been especially helpful during the last two school years and fills the need for online learning.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

We use Khan Academy to supplement our homeschool. Not only do I use it for my children's schooling, but I frequently use it to either learn something new or keep my existing skills sharp,